One-Eyed Jacks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I noticed on Amazon that this was coming in November and checked over at Blu-ray.com where they have been talking about it for several weeks. Directed by Marlon Brando with a troubled production history. Paramount's last release in VistaVision. Seems that it's not being released by Paramount but rather Entertainment One so there is some concern as to what the quality will be like. It's a public domain film so there have been many bad incarnations around going back to VHS. Supposedly Martin Scorsese's favorite western.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very welcome news, thanks for posting.

I need more zither!
post #3 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM

Liked: 22
Well, it would be nice if he also posted what the comments on the other board WERE. Don't get so excited yet and don't thank anyone yet. While we cannot be certain, it does appear as if this will be the same Blu-ray transfer as the German Blu of this title - and if that's true, it is one of the most amateurish, wretched-looking pieces of crap I've ever seen - completely faded and a travesty.
post #4 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Saw this in its original release. Beautiful film in VistaVision and Technicolor.

The film was considered flawed but interesting at the time. I really liked it and would like to see it again in great condition. Let's hope that the Blu-ray is better than the PD sources I have looked at.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Well, it would be nice if he also posted what the comments on the other board WERE. Don't get so excited yet and don't thank anyone yet. While we cannot be certain, it does appear as if this will be the same Blu-ray transfer as the German Blu of this title - and if that's true, it is one of the most amateurish, wretched-looking pieces of crap I've ever seen - completely faded and a travesty.

Very true.

I made a comparison between the German Blu-Ray and my Paramount LD that for starters is not exactly the best LD ever - the LD won.

So if the Blu-Ray ain't from Paramount don't buy unless you don't even expect DVD quality.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the directions on when to be excited and show thanks. It had been over year since I posted on this forum [because many here are so preachy and argumentative] so I forgot to wear a helmet. I will endeavor to remain skeptical and unappreciative until anything posted here is proven with a screen shot or affidavit.

I need more zither!
post #7 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Well, I guess Marty and me have one thing in common
A real restoration and transfer of One-Eyed Jacks would to me, be on the same level as The Searchers.

One of the sad things about deserving films not seeing the justice and respect from the studios they deserve.

Not to pick a fight but I would not consider One-Eyed Jacks to be flawed in any sense other than the people who said that when it was released weren't intelligent enough to realize and appreciate what they were watching.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #8 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitisntsony View Post

Thank you for the directions on when to be excited and show thanks. It had been over year since I posted on this forum [because many here are so preachy and argumentative] so I forgot to wear a helmet. I will endeavor to remain skeptical and unappreciative until anything posted here is proven with a screen shot or affidavit.

Listen, if you want to be excited about a piece of crap transfer, that's great. It doesn't excite ME and I paid for the damn thing. From what I understand, this release will be exactly the same - I'd love to have that be proven wrong, but doubt it will be. Until such time as someone can convince Paramount to give them the elements (which they have), the best version of this film is the Wild Side DVD (anamorphic) from France. It's not perfect, not by any means, but it IS anamorphic and the color is very good. Better than the laserdisc.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitisntsony View Post

I think that saving money and especially not getting unduly excited when something is not what we would like it to be should be appreciated more.

I know a few people who bought one of these hilariously crappy Blu-Rays of the One Eyed Jacks category and they are not pleased to have spent their money on what is not even a DVD quality presentation.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Not to pick a fight but I would not consider One-Eyed Jacks to be flawed in any sense other than the people who said that when it was released weren't intelligent enough to realize and appreciate what they were watching.

Agreed.

The real problem with the film is that it is PD title. The only company that seems to spend much on fixing up PD titles is Criterion. [For example, Criterion paid Universal for access to the original elements of Charade and produced a lovely Blu-ray. I don't think Universal ever released it in any home video format. Netflix streams a very poor PD copy (take a look to see how bad it can get.)
post #11 of 26 Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Criterion paid Universal for access to the original elements of Charade and produced a lovely Blu-ray. I don't think Universal ever released it in any home video format.

I believe it was offered as a supplement to the probably tepid remake (I saw it fitfully on an airplane without sound), The Truth About Charlie.

CW Hinkle
post #12 of 26 Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Maybe Twilight Time or Criterion could do this one.
I gotta believe that it would sell 3,000 copied eventually.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #13 of 26 Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Maybe Twilight Time or Criterion could do this one.
I gotta believe that it would sell 3,000 copied eventually.

As stated, Paramount have the elements but the title is PD. That puts them in a very weird position and sometimes doing all the legal ins and outs of that is simply not worth it for them.
post #14 of 26 Old 10-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I believe it was offered as a supplement to the probably tepid remake (I saw it fitfully on an airplane without sound), The Truth About Charlie.

Yes, and the frustrating thing was that the Criterion went OOP so Universal could release it as a bare-bones extra. Fortunately Criterion were able to reissue it later.

My Man Godfrey is another PD title Criterion licensed from the original studio (Universal again). They also did The Most Dangerous Game, but that wasn't licensed from anyone.

Worth mentioning here that Paramount doesn't list One-Eyed Jacks in their library, even though they have the elements. It's like they're denying the film exists simply because they don't have the exclusive rights. Apparently the 35mm print shown in Dallas two years ago didn't come from Paramount, although I don't know where it did come from -- presumably not the Brando estate, since Terry Gilliam wanted to screen it in 2006 as a "director's choice" event, but the estate wouldn't/couldn't help.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post

Worth mentioning here that Paramount doesn't list One-Eyed Jacks in their library, even though they have the elements. It's like they're denying the film exists simply because they don't have the exclusive rights.

That's nowhere near a comprehensive list. There are many Paramount films missing from it.
post #16 of 26 Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apparently the 35mm print shown in Dallas two years ago didn't come from Paramount, although I don't know where it did come from -- presumably not the Brando estate, since Terry Gilliam wanted to screen it in 2006 as a "director's choice" event, but the estate wouldn't/couldn't help.

According to a hand-out from the 2009 screening it was obtained from a private collector and was less than pristine.

Quote:

This print is an unrestored 35mm IB Technicolor (imbibition dye-processed) print from a private collection. Unfortunately, due to age and wear, the film exhibits many splices and lines as well as some focus issues due to warp. This is the best print of this rare film we could find and hope that you will overlook the flaws and enjoy this vintage film as much as we enjoy presenting it to you.

http://dallascinema.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html

Although the Amazon listing mentions a "re-mastering" I am beginning to fear the worse and if it turns out to be a re-packaging of the German BD I will be seriously bummed.

post #17 of 26 Old 10-14-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damato View Post

That's nowhere near a comprehensive list. There are many Paramount films missing from it.

But AFAIK it's the list of titles Paramount currently distributes theatrically, other titles being unavailable even if Paramount still holds the rights. It doesn't seem to be a list of titles Paramount actually owns, since it includes things like Becket and Loving You.
post #18 of 26 Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But AFAIK it's the list of titles Paramount currently distributes theatrically, other titles being unavailable even if Paramount still holds the rights. It doesn't seem to be a list of titles Paramount actually owns, since it includes things like Becket and Loving You.

It does not include titles like White Christmas that are still in copyright, clearly owned by Paramount, and indeed one of the studio's crown jewels.

Are you saying that the list is not their assets but rather films that can be shown theatrically? That might make some sense.
post #19 of 26 Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

It does not include titles like White Christmas that are still in copyright, clearly owned by Paramount, and indeed one of the studio's crown jewels.

Are you saying that the list is not their assets but rather films that can be shown theatrically? That might make some sense.

Yes, I suspect it is a list of films for which they currently hold suitable 35mm prints for theatrical viewing.
post #20 of 26 Old 10-14-2011, 09:26 AM

Notice that the title of the page as shown on the menu is "Theatrical Library," as opposed to "Complete Library." It's neither a list of everything they've ever distributed (which would be considerably longer and include the pre-1950 titles), nor a list of the titles they legally own (since Becket and Loving You, among others, are ultimately controlled by other companies). So my presumption is that this is simply titles they currently handle theatrically. If they have the elements then it is surely within their ability to create a print of One-Eyed Jacks and make that available for distribution, but they've chosen not to. This would be a slightly less bitter pill to swallow if they'd just give it a good and proper video release, as they did on LD.
post #21 of 26 Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

This PD issue is much more important than one may think.

Most studios simply ignore their PD films. Even if they have great elements, they are not interested in any effort. Paramount and Universal seem to be in this camp.

Warners has done some work on PD films. Royal Wedding and Til the Crowds Roll By have seen some home video releases; not any on Blu-ray to my knowledge.

Criterion (not a studio or IP owner) seems to have the most reasonable attitude: they will pay to get good elements for titles they want to release even if they are PD. Hence, while Charade has been endlessly distributed by the PD companies, the only good version you can get is from Criterion (both DVD and Blu-ray). A number of titles in Criterion's catalog fall are PD.

"PD hell" is one of the worst and most ironic places for a film to end up: versions available all over the place, none of them remotely worth watching. A real shame.

One need only look at Paramount's White Christmas Blu-ray to understand what might be in store for us if Paramount owned the rights to One-Eyed Jacks.
post #22 of 26 Old 11-08-2011, 03:42 PM

Well, I was right to say don't get excited - not only is it the same piece of crap transfer, it's the EXACT SAME DISC - with German menus and everything in German. Unbelievable.
post #23 of 26 Old 11-08-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

it's the EXACT SAME DISC - with German menus and everything in German.

Wow. Pathetic. Thanks for the warning. Sadly, this goes right off my want-list.

I don't feel special...
post #24 of 26 Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Yup, it's a German piece of crap. But it's unfortunately still the best I've ever seen this movie look. Of course that's not saying much.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #25 of 26 Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
And I just noticed something amusing on the box. It's listed as "Region 1." Not "Region A," but "Region 1."

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #26 of 26 Old 11-09-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

wow. Pathetic. Thanks for the warning. Sadly, this goes right off my want-list.

+1

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page