The Family Man (2000) - AVS Forum
1 2 
Blu-ray Software > The Family Man (2000)
sub24ox7's Avatar sub24ox7 03:25 PM 10-12-2011
The Family Man Universal Release Oct. 11 is an upscale lol.

Dtheater on left and Blu-ray on right

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/87054
^^ comparison with Dtheater which is not an upscale.

dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 04:15 PM 10-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub24ox7 View Post

The Family Man Universal Release Oct. 11 is an upscale lol.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/87054
^^ comparison with Dtheater which is not an upscale.

I don't want that cake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PJdd...e_gdata_player
ShawnS's Avatar ShawnS 10:54 AM 10-13-2011
This has to be one of the worst Blu-Ray transfers I've ever seen. Such a lazy cheap rush job. Does Universal not care at all about their catalog titles or are they just blaming it on the economy?

It's like they put the DVD version on both sides of the flipper disc. This is a good film that deserves better treatment.
PRO-630HD's Avatar PRO-630HD 11:23 AM 10-13-2011
****ing Universal!
Monticello's Avatar Monticello 12:08 PM 10-13-2011
Definitely not an upscale, just an old master.
sub24ox7's Avatar sub24ox7 12:31 PM 10-13-2011
Uh its 100% an upscale!!!! it fails the resize upscale test and if you look at the large resize lines at the top and bottom its a dead giveaway. The Dtheater copy blows it away and is not an upscale so care to change your statement.
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman 12:44 PM 10-13-2011
Universal strikes again.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 12:46 PM 10-13-2011
Ratner must be super pissed his artistic talents are, oh maybe not
sub24ox7's Avatar sub24ox7 01:07 PM 10-13-2011
Updated more compares to Dtheater it's pretty clear Universal has a lot of incompetent people working for them or they purposely want their pictures to look subpar lol.
Tom Monahan's Avatar Tom Monahan 11:24 PM 10-13-2011
I checked it out tonight before reading this thread and was shocked at what I was seeing. I remembered the D-Theater tape looking far better. I compared the two and the D-theater does indeedlooks far better. The D-theater has far far less EE and is more detailed to boot. I fear that the upcoming Cape Fear BD will suffer the same fate. I'm so happy that I keep my D-Theater tapes until the BD release proves to be equal or superior. This is the first tape that I have found to be better than the BD. Universal is PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom
AndyM's Avatar AndyM 12:36 PM 10-15-2011
i think someone's screwed up. the DVD transfer is on both sides. Universal are bad, sometimes spectacularly so, but their hack jobs do usually offer an improvement over the DVD. we know a better master exists. that's what should have been on the disc.

i've emailed universal home video . i'm hoping they'll look into this and rectify. fat chance, but still, nice to dream.
PRO-630HD's Avatar PRO-630HD 06:03 PM 10-15-2011
What is the codec used for the bluray side. If it is MPEG-2 at 9 mbps we have a problem.
AndyM's Avatar AndyM 06:24 PM 10-15-2011
sorry, i wasn't stating fact. i should have been clearer. i'm going by screenshots [from multiple sources]. even taking into account of compression etc. those blu-ray shots are DVD quality. i just think someone might have screwed up here.
BigDad's Avatar BigDad 06:50 PM 10-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Ratner must be super pissed his artistic talents are, oh maybe not

Amen. I also met Ratner once - he pretty much confirmed his status as a douche.
Grifter02's Avatar Grifter02 10:14 AM 10-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post

i've emailed universal home video . i'm hoping they'll look into this and rectify. fat chance, but still, nice to dream.

Where did you send your e-mail? I'd like to send one as well. I'm so disappointed in this disc. They had the perfectly fine D-Theater master sitting there and they picked the old DVD master instead? Something must have gone wrong.
badgerstuta's Avatar badgerstuta 02:57 PM 10-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter02 View Post

Where did you send your e-mail? I'd like to send one as well. I'm so disappointed in this disc. They had the perfectly fine D-Theater master sitting there and they picked the old DVD master instead? Something must have gone wrong.

Me too. Was really looking forward to this one. Stupidly imported before reading any reviews. Will definitely be sending an email. Not that they'll give a rats ass
AndyM's Avatar AndyM 03:16 PM 10-17-2011
Quote:

i used their contact form: http://www.universalstudios.com/cont...hp?email_id=10

not heard any response yet. i am trying not to be too surprised.

agreed. they had a master that was OK. this isn't one of their usual dnr/ee jobs on an old master. it really does look like somehow the DVD transfer ended up on the blu-ray side.
Grifter02's Avatar Grifter02 10:10 PM 10-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post

i used their contact form: http://www.universalstudios.com/cont...hp?email_id=10

not heard any response yet. i am trying not to be too surprised.

agreed. they had a master that was OK. this isn't one of their usual dnr/ee jobs on an old master. it really does look like somehow the DVD transfer ended up on the blu-ray side.

I've sent an e-mail through that contact page as well. I've also contacted Bill Hunt @ The Digital Bits, since he has a lot of inside sources and a bigger soap box to stand on and be heard. Hopefully he agrees with us on this issue.

I would have a lot more faith in something being done about this if it wasn't Universal, though. There's still no word on that Conan the Barbarian audio issue that they said they would "look into" months ago.
kukushk@'s Avatar kukushk@ 04:33 AM 10-24-2011
still the sound at this bd can be seen (or heared) as an upgrade. and i don't see universal as the only "bad guys" in here.. maverick was released by warner, pretty woman - disney and they're in fact upscales too.
sub24ox7's Avatar sub24ox7 11:21 AM 10-24-2011
Sorry but you obviously don't know Universal's track record as they are "incompetent"!
Also both maverick and pretty woman are NOT upscales they are hd. Both Disney and Warner bros. Have done a lot of 4K scans on their catalogue titles and Warner is actually
releasing great stuff now, while Universal has yet to do ONE new scan for a catalogue title, oh there might be one but afaik zero or 1 or 2 is nowhere near the other studios track record.
kukushk@'s Avatar kukushk@ 02:19 PM 10-24-2011
if hd starts with 720p then maybe. but it's definitely sub 1080p quality. if the term quality is applicable here.
here's maverick bd vs something what was left of hdtv http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/89730
and here's pretty woman 1080 vs 1080->720->1080 (screenshotcomparison.com can't handle it for some reason)
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6...vsnapshot0.png
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6...vsnapshot0.png
badgerstuta's Avatar badgerstuta 04:10 PM 10-24-2011
I imported this (stupidly) before I read any reviews. It's still sat in the cellophane and won't be opened until universal decide to do something about this. I'm obviously in for a long wait so it's back to the dtheater tape if I want to watch this !
sub24ox7's Avatar sub24ox7 05:59 PM 10-24-2011
Uh yes HD is 720p lol of course, and there are many blu-ray's with less than 1080p detail
but there are Very few actual SD master upconverts. That maverick HDTV master has been sharpenedn to hell, don't let sharpening fool you. As for pretty Woman its not a SD master upconvert but just a subpar old transfer but certianly not an upconvert.
Grifter02's Avatar Grifter02 05:37 AM 10-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukushk@ View Post

if hd starts with 720p then maybe. but it's definitely sub 1080p quality. if the term quality is applicable here.
here's maverick bd vs something what was left of hdtv http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/89730
and here's pretty woman 1080 vs 1080->720->1080 (screenshotcomparison.com can't handle it for some reason)
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6...vsnapshot0.png
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6...vsnapshot0.png

None of those are compared to the DVD, which will clearly show a difference. The Family Man Blu-Ray literally has no more detail than the 480i DVD. But the salt in the wound is the fact that the 1080i D-Theater tape released 8 years ago looks noticeably better.
K_Thompson's Avatar K_Thompson 09:17 AM 10-25-2011
This really sucks. I recently bought this, but haven't watched it yet. I wish I'd known beforehand.
ShawnS's Avatar ShawnS 09:31 AM 10-25-2011
Has anyone heard anything back from Universal (doubtful) or Bill Hunt with his thoughts regarding this?
Grifter02's Avatar Grifter02 10:49 PM 10-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnS View Post

Has anyone heard anything back from Universal (doubtful) or Bill Hunt with his thoughts regarding this?

I got this reply from Universal yesterday:

Quote:

Dear __________.

Thank you for contacting us regarding our recent Blu-ray release of "The Family Man." Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate department.

We value your patronage and your opinions, and we hope that you will enjoy future Universal releases.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Never heard anything back from Bill Hunt. I assume he figures this title isn't worth his time. It might help if more people complained about it, though.
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 02:48 PM 10-27-2011
Quote:

Never heard anything back from Bill Hunt. I assume he figures this title isn't worth his time. It might help if more people complained about it, though.

A favorite movie of mine as well. Using the previous link I submitted a comment asking for a correction of this problem. I agree more people should complain.
Fanboyz's Avatar Fanboyz 05:38 PM 10-30-2011
People really need to stop accusing awful transfers of being "upscales". Because unless it's the Manga/Anchor Bay version of the original "Ghost in the Shell" or something- your incorrect and thus look silly on an AV Science forum.
It's obvious that at full size that the Blu-Ray is the same picture as that 9 year old 1080i D-VHS tape.
Universal is perfectly capable of turning an actual HD transfer into garbage, or even simpler simply using the garbage age HD scan they have already. They already made one- why make two. Also Upscaling is more work than these catalog departments would probably be willing to do. Universal wouldn't want to resize 480i masters for HD. If they did that they'd have no details to scrub away. Then it couldn't be "Remastered for Your HDTV", wheres the fun in that?
I wouldn't imagine the Universal who doesn't care about anything they do, much less the integrity of their brand would ever "fix" a failed Bret Rattner christmas movie.
Grifter02's Avatar Grifter02 05:25 AM 10-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

People really need to stop accusing awful transfers of being "upscales". Because unless it's the Manga/Anchor Bay version of the original "Ghost in the Shell" or something- your incorrect and thus look silly on an AV Science forum.
It's obvious that at full size that the Blu-Ray is the same picture as that 9 year old 1080i D-VHS tape.
Universal is perfectly capable of turning an actual HD transfer into garbage, or even simpler simply using the garbage age HD scan they have already. They already made one- why make two. Also Upscaling is more work than these catalog departments would probably be willing to do. Universal wouldn't want to resize 480i masters for HD. If they did that they'd have no details to scrub away. Then it couldn't be "Remastered for Your HDTV", wheres the fun in that?
I wouldn't imagine the Universal who doesn't care about anything they do, much less the integrity of their brand would ever "fix" a failed Bret Rattner christmas movie.

Have you even watched this Blu-Ray? I've compared both sides and the picture looks identical. The edge halos are the same, the detail is the same, nothing was scrubbed away because nothing was there to begin with. The easiest way to tell that it's the same as the DVD is the thick halos along the entire width of the bars on the top and bottom. These do not exist on the D-Theater tape. Are you going to tell me that Universal applied the exact same sharpening again on this new Blu-Ray that the previous DVD received, but they skipped on the D-Theater tape?

I bet in a blind test, you could not tell me which side of the disc is playing.
1 2 

Up
Mobile  Desktop