Drive - Page 10 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Software > Drive

Blu-ray Software

dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007
05:50 PM Liked: 50
post #271 of 310
02-07-2012 | Posts: 8,687
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post


Not currently. Was itchin for some Thief the other day after reactivating my streaming account following a three month hold and saw it's unavailable (though I thought I'd remembered seeing it before)

It is on the UK side, my bad I have both running
Alkaline's Avatar Alkaline
06:06 PM Liked: 11
post #272 of 310
02-07-2012 | Posts: 309
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

It is on the UK side, my bad I have both running

Nope my bad - totally forgot UK now has Netflix streaming.
gwsat's Avatar gwsat
08:30 PM Liked: 555
post #273 of 310
02-07-2012 | Posts: 14,785
Joined: May 2004
Just watched The Ides of March, which I rented primarily because I wanted to see Ryan Gosling's performance and ended up thinking he was marvelous. I am now convinced that my dislike of Gosling's performance in Drive was caused far more by how the Driver role was written and how Refn directed than it was by any weakness in Gosling's performance. Those toothpicks, gaggh!
Cinema Squid's Avatar Cinema Squid
11:23 PM Liked: 12
post #274 of 310
02-07-2012 | Posts: 2,864
Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Those toothpicks, gaggh!

I'm not sure what the heck because the Internet can be a strange place, but here is "something" about Gosling's use of toothpicks in Drive: http://pictorialgosling.net/Tentries...toothpick.html
oink's Avatar oink
11:43 PM Liked: 818
post #275 of 310
02-07-2012 | Posts: 26,553
Joined: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I am now convinced that my dislike of Gosling's performance in Drive was caused far more by how the Driver role was written and how Refn directed than it was by any weakness in Gosling's performance.

Yup.
mr. wally's Avatar mr. wally
03:42 PM Liked: 54
post #276 of 310
02-08-2012 | Posts: 3,826
Joined: Aug 2006
have it reserved on redbox. will be watching it tonight.
Rathbone's Avatar Rathbone
02:13 AM Liked: 10
post #277 of 310
02-10-2012 | Posts: 928
Joined: Nov 2006
Some information on the French Steelbook BD:

- it is the Sony transfer, not filtered
- it is zoomed in very slightly (only noticable in direct screenshot comparison)
- Bitrate is around 26-27 Mbps
- French subs are forced with the English language track
- Audio is only 16Bit DTS-HD MA 5.1
- It has by far the best cover art
Thebarnman's Avatar Thebarnman
04:41 PM Liked: 15
post #278 of 310
02-10-2012 | Posts: 3,179
Joined: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

have it reserved on redbox. will be watching it tonight.

Did you like it?
Thebarnman's Avatar Thebarnman
04:44 PM Liked: 15
post #279 of 310
02-10-2012 | Posts: 3,179
Joined: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

Some information on the French Steelbook BD:

- it is the Sony transfer, not filtered
- it is zoomed in very slightly (only noticable in direct screenshot comparison)
- Bitrate is around 26-27 Mbps
- French subs are forced with the English language track
- Audio is only 16Bit DTS-HD MA 5.1
- It has by far the best cover art


Slightly zoomed? compared to what version? The US or UK? If it's the Sony transfer, then I would think it's slightly zoomed in when compared to the US version.

Also, if the bitrate is only 26-27 Mbps, then at least from what I've read, it can't be from the Sony transfer since the US version is above 30 Mbps.
paolino64's Avatar paolino64
11:22 AM Liked: 14
post #280 of 310
02-11-2012 | Posts: 232
Joined: Apr 2009
Comparative ITA USA
ITA VERSION 25,889,603.584 bytes


USA VERSION 35,594,592,522 bytes


blackssr's Avatar blackssr
12:00 PM Liked: 38
post #281 of 310
02-11-2012 | Posts: 2,631
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Did you like it?

I hated it. Was really boring. Even the Wife hated it. Glad I rented it first.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007
12:26 PM Liked: 50
post #282 of 310
02-11-2012 | Posts: 8,687
Joined: Oct 2005
Looks like the UK version
Alkaline's Avatar Alkaline
12:57 PM Liked: 11
post #283 of 310
02-11-2012 | Posts: 309
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Slightly zoomed? compared to what version? The US or UK? If it's the Sony transfer, then I would think it's slightly zoomed in when compared to the US version.

Also, if the bitrate is only 26-27 Mbps, then at least from what I've read, it can't be from the Sony transfer since the US version is above 30 Mbps.

Could be Sony and UK utilized two different masters as their basis (hence slight color variation etc), in addition to being two different encodes? And maybe the French is a different encode of the Sony master?

Also, has anyone heard anything concrete transfer/BDinfo wise about the Canadian? I sort of assumed a direct port of the Sony, at least in terms of video/audio, if not total disc content
Geoff D's Avatar Geoff D
01:10 PM Liked: 249
post #284 of 310
02-11-2012 | Posts: 2,486
Joined: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Slightly zoomed? compared to what version? The US or UK? If it's the Sony transfer, then I would think it's slightly zoomed in when compared to the US version.

Also, if the bitrate is only 26-27 Mbps, then at least from what I've read, it can't be from the Sony transfer since the US version is above 30 Mbps.

You're conflating transfers and encodes. Two releases could use the exact same transfer, but differences in encoding for Blu-ray would result in the varying bitrates.
Thebarnman's Avatar Thebarnman
02:01 PM Liked: 15
post #285 of 310
02-11-2012 | Posts: 3,179
Joined: Feb 2003
I've done direct comparisons between the two. I don't know what "ITA" stands for, however...

After copying and viewing each of the same images of each version by rapidly switching back and forth...

There is no difference in color

However...

There is slightly more "brightness" in the US version. This brightness is not a good thing as it tends to "soften" the contrast. Another words, the slight increase in brightness (density...) makes the US version look a touch more soft.

I couldn't detect any differences in resolution or detail between either of the images.

In the case of the image of him taking a drink, the (ITS) version is slightly cropped ONLY from the top of the image (When compared to the US version.)

And the image in the garage, there are no differences in the crop.



I would have to ask, what caused the difference in contrast? Was it from the way it was copied and posted onto this thread? Or does it have everything to do with actual differences between the "ITA" and US version?


The ITA version looked "better" at least on my calibrated monitor. The slightly darker more realistic "black" from the ITS samples simply made the images look more solid and realistic (when compared to the US version.)


So now I have to ask,

1. What is the "ITA" version?

2. Why is the US version have slightly less contrast? Is that the cause of the actual transfer? Or, was it caused from the software used to make the copy for this thread?

3. Why is there a slight crop from the top of the ITS version of the still frame of him taking a drink. Is it that way on the disc or wrongly cropped when placed on this thread?


Final conclusion, if it was not for a slight difference in contrast, the two versions would be exactly the same...(minus an odd crop on one of the images.) At the same time, the US version does look a touch brighter.

Note...I'm assuming the two bottom images are the US version.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007
02:15 PM Liked: 50
post #286 of 310
02-11-2012 | Posts: 8,687
Joined: Oct 2005
Italian
Rathbone's Avatar Rathbone
05:43 PM Liked: 10
post #287 of 310
02-11-2012 | Posts: 928
Joined: Nov 2006
As a Blu-ray label you can do whatever you want when you get the Hard Drive or HDCAM with the transfer/master. Reframe, change colors, filter etc. But in the end you'll have to do your own encode for the disc. I guess all (UK, FR, ITA, US ...) have the same source available. What they make of it is the difference. The French and the US seem to have encoded the source quite unmolested whereas the UK has been additionally processed.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007
05:52 PM Liked: 50
post #288 of 310
02-11-2012 | Posts: 8,687
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

As a Blu-ray label you can do whatever you want when you get the Hard Drive or HDCAM with the transfer/master. Reframe, change colors, filter etc. But in the end you'll have to do your own encode for the disc. I guess all (UK, FR, ITA, US ...) have the same source available. What they make of it is the difference. The French and the US seem to have encoded the source quite unmolested whereas the UK has been additionally processed.

I disagree, I think the UK is just starved of bitrate
BenUK's Avatar BenUK
02:05 PM Liked: 10
post #289 of 310
02-12-2012 | Posts: 278
Joined: Aug 2009
So if you live in Region B land, the Italian one is the one to go for?
_crs_'s Avatar _crs_
02:08 PM Liked: 10
post #290 of 310
02-12-2012 | Posts: 16
Joined: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Final conclusion, if it was not for a slight difference in contrast, the two versions would be exactly the same...

Not at all. The Italian release copes badly with the video noise. In the shot with Driver holding the glass, the red wall on the left clearly isn't handled as well as in the US release. The Italian release also suffers from some really bad blocking compression artifacts. Most easily seen in Driver's denim jacket. I noticed such blocking quite a few times as well while viewing the UK release (I own the US release & the UK steelbook).

I made a comparison pic, blown up 3x but otherwise completely lossless from those posted screenshots. Italian release on the left, US on the right:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

JayFank's Avatar JayFank
03:25 PM Liked: 10
post #291 of 310
02-12-2012 | Posts: 85
Joined: Jun 2007
Off topic: Anyone know where I can trade blu-rays to others?
Example: I would like to trade Rise of the Planet of the Apes for Drive.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007
04:26 PM Liked: 50
post #292 of 310
02-12-2012 | Posts: 8,687
Joined: Oct 2005
BAFTA snubbed then
Thebarnman's Avatar Thebarnman
06:02 PM Liked: 15
post #293 of 310
02-12-2012 | Posts: 3,179
Joined: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by _crs_ View Post

Not at all. The Italian release copes badly with the video noise. In the shot with Driver holding the glass, the red wall on the left clearly isn't handled as well as in the US release. The Italian release also suffers from some really bad blocking compression artifacts. Most easily seen in Driver's denim jacket. I noticed such blocking quite a few times as well while viewing the UK release (I own the US release & the UK steelbook).

I made a comparison pic, blown up 3x but otherwise completely lossless from those posted screenshots. Italian release on the left, US on the right:


Thank you, I didn't even notice that. Considering the compression artifacts from the Italian version, I think the US version is the best AND, it's it very slightly brighter (less contrasty) that "might" look better on some displays.
hsinnott's Avatar hsinnott
12:04 PM Liked: 22
post #294 of 310
02-13-2012 | Posts: 558
Joined: Oct 2005
Just got my Canada FutureShop exclusive disc this morning...Canadian disc has a higher bitrate and more/different extras.
LL
Thebarnman's Avatar Thebarnman
01:25 PM Liked: 15
post #295 of 310
02-13-2012 | Posts: 3,179
Joined: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post

Just got my Canada FutureShop exclusive disc this morning...Canadian disc has a higher bitrate and more/different extras.

A higher bit rate than what verson?

What is the bitrate?
mr. wally's Avatar mr. wally
03:22 PM Liked: 54
post #296 of 310
02-13-2012 | Posts: 3,826
Joined: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Did you like it?

it was ok. goessling's laconic performance didn't help with this mediocre plot, but as expected, the driving scenes were a lot of fun.
hsinnott's Avatar hsinnott
03:22 PM Liked: 22
post #297 of 310
02-14-2012 | Posts: 558
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

A higher bit rate than what verson?

What is the bitrate?


Sorry, bigger disc size on Canada disc...

UK Disc Size 35.59 GB US 48.32 GB Canada 49.95 GB
UK Track Size 25.25 GB US 30.37 GB Canada 33.18 GB


Having touble running c'squid on my PC right now so will get back later with bitrates for video/audio etc...
Jamie E's Avatar Jamie E
05:39 PM Liked: 14
post #298 of 310
02-14-2012 | Posts: 454
Joined: Dec 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I couldn't detect any differences in resolution or detail between either of the images.

Compare the lines in Driver's forehead in the garage shots. I definitely see a bit more fine detail in the bottom (U.S.?) version.
Alkaline's Avatar Alkaline
06:25 PM Liked: 11
post #299 of 310
02-14-2012 | Posts: 309
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post

Sorry, bigger disc size on Canada disc...

UK Disc Size 35.59 GB US 48.32 GB Canada 49.95 GB
UK Track Size 25.25 GB US 30.37 GB Canada 33.18 GB


Having touble running c'squid on my PC right now so will get back later with bitrates for video/audio etc...

I'm guessing the difference in total disc and feature size over the U.S. version is due to the Alliance release's different (more?) extras, and possibly additional dub/subtitle options. I'd be very surprised if the video/audio bitrate is actually higher.

Edit: A member in the thread for the Canadian Futureshop exclusive over at blu-ray.com insists extras are identical between US/CA, and the only real difference is the omission of the Spanish subs and different start up trailers on the CA.
BenUK's Avatar BenUK
12:28 PM Liked: 10
post #300 of 310
02-15-2012 | Posts: 278
Joined: Aug 2009
Is the Canadian disc region locked?

Reply Blu-ray Software

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3