Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Not yet,
Fnac SE
French g1 steel
French steel
UK standard
UK steel
US standard

...manage to get your hands on any versions other than the UK ones yet mate?....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 310 Old 02-05-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post

...manage to get your hands on any versions other than the UK ones yet mate?....

My French contacts fell thru scouring Ebay as we speak
post #243 of 310 Old 02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

While I understand we're here to discuss the technical aspects of a film, I also think it's almost impossible to avoid an opinion or two about the films themselves. We either rent them or buy them, and to me it's fine and/or inevitable to go beyond PQ/AQ, as I personnally never buy a film solely based on its technical merits (when I rent I honestly don't care, cause when I'm interested in PQ/AQ, that's because I want to purchase the film). It helps not to switch back and forth between 2 forums. Specially for new movies that we haven't known for years or decades. When I made my ultra thin review of In Time, I couldn't help but talk about the film as well. Bottom line I agree with you and Franin/gwsat...so there you go, the guy who can't make up his mind!

Good point. The ability to get both technical and critical information from the same thread is a plus. In short, there is a lot to be said for one stop shopping.

On another issue, I finished James Sallis novel, Drive, yesterday and liked it very much. It differs from the film in a number of ways, some of them substantial, but Driver himself comes across as the same taciturn, withdrawn, existential fellow we saw in the film. Sallis will be publishing a sequel to Drive, Driven. According to Amazon, it comes out on April 3. I am really looking forward to reading more about Driver. He is an endlessly intriguing fellow.
post #244 of 310 Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
can't wait to see this ....I have not seen it yet
BUT it is a very polarizing film as some love it & some hate it ....

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #245 of 310 Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

On another issue, I finished James Sallis novel, Drive, yesterday and liked it very much. It differs from the film in a number of ways, some of them substantial, but Driver himself comes across as the same taciturn, withdrawn, existential fellow we saw in the film.

Are the motivations of the Driver from the book more credible than in the film?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #246 of 310 Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Depends on how you read into it, but I had no issues with his motivation in the film
post #247 of 310 Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had no issues with his motivation in the film

Unfortunately, I did.
The motivations of the 2 lead characters were not credible to me.

post #248 of 310 Old 02-05-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Unfortunately, I did.

Loneliness is a powerful motivation
post #249 of 310 Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

AFAIK, in all the years of this forum, we have never had someone who ACTUALLY did a transfer come and explain on this site what was done with the transfer or what the original elements looked like when compared to the BD.

From Don May Jr who did the transfer of Texas Chainsaw Massacre

For more details about this great transfer all from the same post see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14724572

"This version looks almost identical to what the original HD masters I made looked like"

"In regards to the A/B roll Interneg questions. I decided to create new materials, just to remain true to the 16mm origins of the film. We certainly had access to the 35mm materials, but i made a conscious decision NOT to use them because they were all 16mm to 35mm blow-up materials. I bit the bullet, got the A/B roll and created a 16mm IN element with all new timings based on my discussions and meetings with director Tobe Hooper (the original timing sheets were all gone)."

"We didn't just run the A/B roll through the telecine because I was worried that they were too brittle and the splices were weak."

"The A/B roll was in pretty bad shape and was pretty poorly stored over the years. Making the new single-strand IN was my way of helping preserve the film in the best way possible."

And before that post, there was this discussion... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14707576

"The reason a new IN was made was because the original A/B rolls were so badly damaged. They had to create a new element to work from, so the A/B rolls were cleaned as best as possible then step-printed to create a new IN. Don May can describe the problems with the TEXAS CHAINSAW elements since he was the one actually handling them, but I remember him telling me that the original A/B rolls were not properly stored and a lot of the glue splices had become affected by moisture over time, and the glue had seeped onto other parts of the negative. It took them a long time and a lot of effort to physically clean the A/B rolls as well as they possibly could then print a new IN from the A/B rolls, and even that IN had a lot of printed-in damage and visible glue marks that had to be erased frame-by-frame digitally.

Vincent"

What's cool about this link is my quoted statement above his comment where I do a really good job of explaining the term "Reversal film" (the type of film used to make that movie.)

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #250 of 310 Old 02-05-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^Well, looks like there was one instance...

post #251 of 310 Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Its the negative they had issue with in the past

I don't have a problem with people expressing a negative opinion of a film they have seen in contrast with other who enjoyed it. Is it really the notion on here that you can't post anything but "praise" on a thread of this type.

I have a problem with people posting facile comments such as "hated this it was boring not enough car chases" but because its a dull valueless comment not that their opinion is negative.

Do some people just not get the difference or is some pre-ordained rule that to post in a review thread "thou shalt only speaketh love for this film " ?

digital film janitor
post #252 of 310 Old 02-06-2012, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^Well, looks like there was one instance...

Well I've been involved in the field for getting close to 20 years.

digital film janitor
post #253 of 310 Old 02-06-2012, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

I don't have a problem with people expressing a negative opinion of a film they have seen in contrast with other who enjoyed it. Is it really the notion on here that you can't post anything but "praise" on a thread of this type.

I have a problem with people posting facile comments such as "hated this it was boring not enough car chases" but because its a dull valueless comment not that their opinion is negative.

Do some people just not get the difference or is some pre-ordained rule that to post in a review thread "thou shalt only speaketh love for this film " ?

It's not a review thread, that had been linked.
This is the bluray release discussion thread.
post #254 of 310 Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 AM
A_T

Liked: 10
Quote:

Unfortunately, I did.

Driver's motivation seemed clear to me.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Spending time with the girl and her son was the best thing that ever happened to him - he said so. When the heist went wrong and she was threatened he did whatever it took to see that they were safe
post #255 of 310 Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:

Quote:

Depends on how you read into it, but I had no issues with his motivation in the film

Quote:

Unfortunately, I did.

Quote:

Loneliness is a powerful motivation

I thought Driver's motivation started out as far more prosaic than that, especially when the way the story is told in the novel is taken into consideration. WARNING: WHAT FOLLOWS ALSO INCLUDES SPOILERS FROM THE NOVEL.
Spoiler  
In the book, Driver took the job in which everyone was ultimately betrayed by Nino for the money. Although Irene's husband Standard asked Driver to take it and Cook hired him, Driver just did it for the money. Unlike the movie, there was no indication in the book that Standard desperately needed Driver's help. I thought the movie was weakened somewhat by Cook having told Driver he wouldn't be paid but Driver taking the job anyway for the sake of Irene and her son Benicio in order to get Standard's prison incurred debts paid. I have to agree with oink here that his was a little weak.

The book makes Driver's motivation for killing Nino a lot more prosaic, too. In the book, Driver actually returned the money from the robbery to Nino but Nino sent goons to kill Driver anyway. That was the second time. As we saw in the film, Nino also had Blanche killed in the motel room and narrowly missed succeeding in killing Driver, too. Although Driver then turned over the money, Nino tried to kill him anyway. This left Driver secure in the knowledge that if he didn't kill Nino, sooner or later Nino would kill him.
post #256 of 310 Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM

The Blu Ray edition to be released in Belgium will contain the great one hour documentary about the director called "NWR" in HD (av. bitrate = 23) on the same disc as the movie (av. bitrate = 25).
So I guess the look will be the same as the UK disc.

But this documentary is awesome!
Everyone who love the work of this director should see it!

http://boutique.rtbf.be/index.php?mo...=6&art_id=3863

El Brazo Tonto De La Ley
post #257 of 310 Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I thought Driver's motivation started out as far more prosaic than that, especially when the way the story is told in the novel is taken into consideration. WARNING: WHAT FOLLOWS ALSO INCLUDES SPOILERS FROM THE NOVEL.
Spoiler  
In the book, Driver took the job in which everyone was ultimately betrayed by Nino for the money. Although Irene's husband Standard asked Driver to take it and Cook hired him, Driver just did it for the money. Unlike the movie, there was no indication in the book that Standard desperately needed Driver's help. I thought the movie was weakened somewhat by Cook having told Driver he wouldn't be paid but Driver taking the job anyway for the sake of Irene and her son Benicio in order to get Standard's prison incurred debts paid. I have to agree with oink here that his was a little weak.

The book makes Driver's motivation for killing Nino a lot more prosaic, too. In the book, Driver actually returned the money from the robbery to Nino but Nino sent goons to kill Driver anyway. That was the second time. As we saw in the film, Nino also had Blanche killed in the motel room and narrowly missed succeeding in killing Driver, too. Although Driver then turned over the money, Nino tried to kill him anyway. This left Driver secure in the knowledge that if he didn't kill Nino, sooner or later Nino would kill him.

Interesting....and a little more plausible.

Thanx for the info.

post #258 of 310 Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrentééé View Post

The Blu Ray edition to be released in Belgium will contain the great one hour documentary about the director called "NWR" in HD (av. bitrate = 23) on the same disc as the movie (av. bitrate = 25).

Not another one!
post #259 of 310 Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So your saying it won't look as good as the US Blu-ray version?

How does the bitrate compare between the UK and US Blu-ray?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #260 of 310 Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 PM

In fact, it's what I read here.

Mike said the UK one had an average bitrate of 23 or so and another member that had the US disc showed that it was 35 or so.
Plus the comparison between the 2 editions in the first pages of this thread showed that they were different in terms of PQ.
The US one is better in my opinion, probably thanks to its higher bitrate.

The Blu Ray from Belgium seems to have the same bitrate as the UK one but with a great documentary in HD as a bonus material in addition to the other bonus materials that the US edition has.

El Brazo Tonto De La Ley
post #261 of 310 Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Watched this movie last night and enjoyed it. For some odd reason it had an Blade Runner feel to me. Maybe it was the music, city shots, and the calm before the storm moments.
post #262 of 310 Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Watched tonite.
So much is RIGHT with this movie....BUT....
As it turns out, Drive is a film in search of a destination.
Unfortunately, it really is unsure of what it wants to say or go.

Allegedly, this is a movie about "driving....."
In reality, driving has almost nothing to do with the story arc.
This is a story about revenge...or something else.

The cinematography is superb, and without it, I don't how far I would have lasted.

Fine performance by Gosling and CM (again).
Brooks and Perlman are OK, but nothing spectacular.

The pop songs pulled me right out, very poor decision to include them in the soundtrack (which was perfect).

Agree on the cinematography but i loved the entire soundtrack. It had that vice city feel if you ever played gta.
post #263 of 310 Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwagner View Post

Watched this movie last night and enjoyed it. For some odd reason it had an Blade Runner feel to me. Maybe it was the music, city shots, and the calm before the storm moments.

You should check out "Thief" by Michael Mann you'll love that too.

digital film janitor
post #264 of 310 Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You should check out "Thief" by Michael Mann you'll love that too.

Just avoid the UK version, its HD on netflix
post #265 of 310 Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In fact, it's what I read here.

Mike said the UK one had an average bitrate of 23 or so and another member that had the US disc showed that it was 35 or so.
Plus the comparison between the 2 editions in the first pages of this thread showed that they were different in terms of PQ.
The US one is better in my opinion, probably thanks to its higher bitrate.

The Blu Ray from Belgium seems to have the same bitrate as the UK one but with a great documentary in HD as a bonus material in addition to the other bonus materials that the US edition has.

I'm thankful for the higher bitrate on the US version as I think that makes for a more solid picture...particularly during fast action sequences.

Also, the difference in color on the US version look more natural.

post #266 of 310 Old 02-07-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

More UK discs are getting smaller, The UK Three Musketeers I have here is under 18gb!!
post #267 of 310 Old 02-07-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My negative posts on Lord of the rings just got deleted, that proved my point.
It's ok to post negative comments as long as the mods agree?
post #268 of 310 Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Liked: 12
I just saw it and LOVED IT!

Being from this area where its filmed, I know and love every single location! Great work!

~d (l.a. native, holla!!)
post #269 of 310 Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Just avoid the UK version, its HD on netflix

Not currently. Was itchin for some Thief the other day after reactivating my streaming account following a three month hold and saw it's unavailable (though I thought I'd remembered seeing it before)
post #270 of 310 Old 02-07-2012, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

It's ok to post negative comments as long as the mods agree?

I won't go as far as to say "yes", but I often find a disparity in many forums between the rules "on paper" and reality...
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page