Atlas Shrugged - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have been awaiting the release of this movie to Blu Ray since it hit the theaters.
Anyone seen it?
I've read several reviews that state the movie was far better than the movie critics suggested so I think I'm going to blind buy it this Tuesday.
What kind of transfer should I expect from what you saw at the theaters?

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

I have been awaiting the release of this movie to Blu Ray since it hit the theaters. Anyone seen it?

I saw "Atlas Shrugged Part 1" and enjoyed it enough that I intend to buy a copy . . . plus I'm looking forward to watching parts 2 and 3. It's more than competently acted|filmed, but certainly not a great movie. The theater was sparsely occupied by a mostly middle aged|middle class "conservative looking" audience . . . many of whom clapped|cheered during the credits. I suspect your perception of the film will be strongly colored by your feelings about "Atlas Shrugged" (the book), Ayn Rand, her philosophy, and especially their place in your personal history.

[While at the movie, I realized the experience might have been similar after "Gone With The Wind" was released because of the 'expectations for the movie' imposed by reading the book...?! ]

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #3 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

I saw "Atlas Shrugged Part 1" and enjoyed it enough that I intend to buy a copy . . . plus I'm looking forward to watching parts 2 and 3. It's more than competently acted|filmed, but certainly not a great movie. The theater was sparsely occupied by a mostly middle aged|middle class "conservative looking" audience . . . many of whom clapped|cheered during the credits. I suspect your perception of the film will be strongly colored by your feelings about "Atlas Shrugged" (the book), Ayn Rand, her philosophy, and especially their place in your personal history.

[While at the movie, I realized the experience might have been similar after "Gone With The Wind" was released because of the 'expectations for the movie' imposed by reading the book...?! ]

I've been reading the book and that is what intrigues me so much about the movie. It will be interesting to see if the movie will deviate from the book at all.
I certainly hope they come out with the other sequels...!

post #4 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I saw the movie as well. It was very entertaining but I am biased having read the book. This book has had an effect like no other book I have ever read. I received it as a gift in my early twenties from my younger brother. Life changing, great read. I will also buy the Blu Ray and am hopeful that parts two and three materialize. Part one was pretty faithful to the story.

Stace
post #5 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

I will also buy the Blu Ray and am hopeful that parts two and three materialize. Part one was pretty faithful to the story.

Lost a ton of money - don't be too hopeful.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=atlasshrugged.htm

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Lost a ton of money - don't be too hopeful. http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=atlasshrugged.htm

It's too bad this movie isn't a Lucasfilm product; that would 'guarantee' release of parts 2 and 3 . . . with a prequel trilogy to follow, 16 years later!

"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #7 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The books are must reads. The film is must avoid.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #8 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Lost a ton of money - don't be too hopeful.

Well, the movie apparently had a budget of only 6.5M so grossing only 4.6M hardly qualifies as losing "a ton" of money in the movie business.

I sense that the very limited theatrical release was essentially to promote the video release. I think this is a movie that's expected to have a specific following and people who want it will buy it. Anything made in the theatrical release is just gravy.

The home video sales may have more impact on the making of sequels than the box office performance.
post #9 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

The home video sales may have more impact on the making of sequels than the box office performance.

OR...
Perhaps Part 2 and Part 3 have already been completed, but are only shown on "movies nights" in a 'secret Rocky Mountain redoubt safe from overhead discovery below a stealth field', as the entire cast and crew live there now, 'in hiding', because their earlier work on Part 1 "was unappreciated by the world at large"...?!

post #10 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

OR...
Perhaps Part 2 and Part 3 have already been completed, but are only shown on "movies nights" in a 'secret Rocky Mountain redoubt safe from overhead discovery below a stealth field', as the entire cast and crew live there now, 'in hiding', because their earlier work on Part 1 "was unappreciated by the world at large"...?!

It's all TRUE!
I read about it on the internets!

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #11 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Offered with neither endorsement nor repudiation:

Quote:

Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.

post #12 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post

Thanx....just spit coffee all over my keyboard.

post #13 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've read, and re-read, "Atlas Shrugged" many times over the last 40 years (yes, I'm that old). Obviously, I marvel at the message of the story. I do think Ayn could have condensed the book by ~1/3. The story is quite "wordy". Nonetheless, it is a book all should read at least once. I saw the movie and thought it was VERY faithful to the book. Also, I thought the movie was well-done. More so, since they had a minimal budget for it. The movie did not seem cheap nor amateurish. I've pre-ordered the blu-ray and it should arrive in the very near future. Look forward to viewing it in the comfort of my media room. I don't care what the "professional" reviewers said about it, it truly is a good movie.
post #14 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Politics aside- the film was tied with Green Lantern for my pick worst of the year.
People will bash it and commend it simply whether they agree with Rand's points or not- but the film as an adaptation of a book that people like, is largely bad. Very bad.
It's like Dune minus the fun. The project reeks of ashcan rights retaining. My guess is that if they didn't make this movie they would have lost the rights again. It's really a low quality film. Good moderately well-known actors- but on the whole has an "Asylum" quality about it. The sad part is as an adaptation it isn't wise because doesn't get to anything remotely fantastic or engaging and ends on a massive narm-tasitc "noooooooo".

I very much doubt that the rest of the "trilogy" was filmed or even in any level of pre-production. Mind you if the video sells a bunch then probably, but at the moment will never find out who John Galt is- at least not in any cinematic capacity for about another decade or so..

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #15 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Well, the movie apparently had a budget of only 6.5M so grossing only 4.6M hardly qualifies as losing "a ton" of money in the movie business.

I sense that the very limited theatrical release was essentially to promote the video release. I think this is a movie that's expected to have a specific following and people who want it will buy it. Anything made in the theatrical release is just gravy.

I was using the Box Office Mojo production budget of $20+ million. Elsewhere on the internet I found:

Quote:

Their budget was only $5 million. That figure has been cited widely, especially by those disparaging the movie. The final production budget is closer to $10 million, and the full budget is likely to be $25 million by the time the movie is released.

So the numbers fluctuate depending on who is being cited. Sorry if my numbers didn't agree with you.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #16 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry if my numbers didn't agree with you.

It's not that they disagree with me. I had no idea what the budget was.

I checked with CBS News who say, "Less than $10M". The Movie Insider says $5m and the IMDB says $6.5M. I split the difference between the three sources and went with $6.5M.

Never heard of Box Office Mojo. (Cute name, though).
post #17 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Box Office Mojo is usually pretty reliable for that sort of information, assuming nobody's fudging it (and I think they tend to include the advertising budget as well, though I'm not even sure I want to know what that percentage was in this case).

As for the movie/disc: I'm just curious enough about it to pick it up, though I probably should read the book first.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #18 of 64 Old 11-06-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree.

post #19 of 64 Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
As much as I liked the book, the film kinda had that TV-movie-of-the-week feel to me. Considering their very limited budget, I think they did the best they could, but it was missing the epic sense of the novel. Where's DeMille when you need him (stiff characters and all)? Glad I saw it once; doubt I'll pick up the BD for repeat viewing.

Sanjay
post #20 of 64 Old 11-07-2011, 01:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I sense that the very limited theatrical release was essentially to promote the video release.

OK....

Quote:

OR...

My thoughts exactly....

post #21 of 64 Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like a risky blind buy even though I would probably agree with the subject material.
post #22 of 64 Old 11-08-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach View Post

it sounds like a risky blind buy even though i would probably agree with the subject material.

+1...!

post #23 of 64 Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked: 540

Quote:
Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.

----

Bwahahahahaha!!!

Too true.

Atlas Shrugged and then said: "Eh... why bother?"

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #24 of 64 Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Agreeing with the subjects material did not assist me in my enjoyment of the film.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #25 of 64 Old 11-13-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like the guy who wrote the title sheet for the disk release totally doesn't get A.S., or has a heckuva sense of humor...
http://blog.atlasshruggedmovie.com/2...-releases.html

post #26 of 64 Old 11-14-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 423
The movie had a lot of obstacles to overcome. Everyone knows that Big Hollywood Money and A-list Hollywood talent would have never supported its making, so the producers had to make do with what they had.
post #27 of 64 Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

The movie had a lot of obstacles to overcome. Everyone knows that Big Hollywood Money and A-list Hollywood talent would have never supported its making, so the producers had to make do with what they had.

I think it had to do more with money than anything else. Hollywood is a business, and from how well it did, they made the right call there. The market for it is very, very small and wasn't worth time or investment for studios looking to bring in 20X the revenue any given weekend. Just getting it produced and making it profitable was always going to be a very tight rope to walk.

There is some irony to the "Hollywood ideology" argument keeps popping up as the reason it can't be the runaway hit it should be; an argument that seems lost on some people...
post #28 of 64 Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I think it had to do more with money than anything else. Hollywood is a business, and from how well it did, they made the right call there. The market for it is very, very small and wasn't worth time or investment for studios looking to bring in 20X the revenue any given weekend. Just getting it produced and making it profitable was always going to be a very tight rope to walk.

There is some irony to the "Hollywood ideology" argument keeps popping up as the reason it can't be the runaway hit it should be; an argument that seems lost on some people...

I'm not saying it would have been an enormous hit, but if it had had A-list dramatic actors, writing, directing, editing, etc., and a well done marketing campaign (NONE of which Hollywood was the least bit interested in), it would have made considerably more than it did.
post #29 of 64 Old 11-14-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Haven't watched it yet, but just skipping around it is pretty awesome-looking. Maybe I'll feel differently after a full 1:37 with it, but it looks like it has decent production qualities at least (and a great-looking 2.40 transfer).

More importantly, the new question to be asked:

Who is Taylor Schilling?

post #30 of 64 Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I'd check out the Blu-ray, but I'm afraid that I'd smash my projector with a baseball bat.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page