The Thing (2011) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 Old 12-04-2011, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50



Quote:


Commentary with Matthijs Van Heijningen and producer Eric Newman
Two behind-the-scenes featurettes:
- The Thing Evolves
- Fire & Ice
Deleted/extended scenes

dvdmike007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 80 Old 12-04-2011, 03:38 AM
Senior Member
 
BenUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solihull, England, United Kingdom
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I take it there is no (better) re-release of the 1982 version planned?
BenUK is offline  
post #3 of 80 Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenUK View Post

I take it there is no (better) re-release of the 1982 version planned?

























nope
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #4 of 80 Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I actually became depressed after watching this. I felt as if all the goodness in people had faded away and all there was was ugliness and despair.

*Also shouldn't the Norwegian who shoots at the husky from the chopper have frosted sunglasses? How did they miss that?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Fanboyz is offline  
post #5 of 80 Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
neveser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near St. Loser, Misery
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

I actually became depressed after watching this. I felt as if all the goodness in people had faded away and all there was was ugliness and despair.

*Also shouldn't the Norwegian who shoots at the husky from the chopper have frosted sunglasses? How did they miss that?

I noticed that too. Sitting in the theater at the end of this when the music begins I thought to myself, now the good part starts!!! Then the credit rolled!!! It just made me want to see the real deal again. There was no need to make this movie, just Hollywood cashing in. I wish someone would remake Hollywood.

No need for me to pick this one up. I own the HD-DVD and blu of the masterpiece.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

neveser is offline  
post #6 of 80 Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Yosemite Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenUK View Post

I take it there is no (better) re-release of the 1982 version planned?

What was wrong with it. For a 1982 film the BR looks pretty damn good and while the sound wasn't the best there's only so much you can do with a 30 yead old film.
Yosemite Dan is offline  
post #7 of 80 Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
42041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

there's only so much you can do with a 30 yead old film.

well, you can start by doing what you can do
42041 is offline  
post #8 of 80 Old 12-04-2011, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post

I noticed that too. Sitting in the theater at the end of this when the music begins I thought to myself, now the good part starts!!! Then the credit rolled!!! It just made me want to see the real deal again. There was no need to make this movie, just Hollywood cashing in. I wish someone would remake Hollywood.

No need for me to pick this one up. I own the HD-DVD and blu of the masterpiece.

So I take it...it wasn't all that great. I'm pissed I missed it at the Drive-in when it played there. Then I heard it wasn't all that good. My thoughts were, how can you mess up a classic...even a remake of a classic?

I still want to see it though.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #9 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Senior Member
 
BenUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solihull, England, United Kingdom
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

What was wrong with it. For a 1982 film the BR looks pretty damn good and while the sound wasn't the best there's only so much you can do with a 30 yead old film.

A 4K remaster would be nice.
BenUK is offline  
post #10 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
neveser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near St. Loser, Misery
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

So I take it...it wasn't all that great. I'm pissed I missed it at the Drive-in when it played there. Then I heard it wasn't all that good. My thoughts were, how can you mess up a classic...even a remake of a classic?

I still want to see it though.

The Thing and Alien are my top 2 sci/horror flicks. So I was excited to see this, but I knew the potential for it to suck was there. And suck, it did. I won't go into spoilers, but there's just no chemistry between the actors. There's a lot of repetition from the first, yet somehow it's just not pulled off well. It seems like someone got an idea while sitting at home watching the original while high and thought "dude, how about this!" There is something small there that the movie seems to revolve around for a bit. It's was not enough though. I don't want to go into it because I don't wanna spoil it for people who haven't seen it. Just rent it. It's probably worth it just to see it and make you realize just how good JC's version is. I was ticked that I paid full price to see it in the theater. I should have went to the matinee or rush hour show!!!

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

neveser is offline  
post #11 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Member
 
grodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I enjoyed it. I'd give it a B/B+ and the original an A+.
I'm curious about the extra scenes.
grodd is offline  
post #12 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenUK View Post

A 4K remaster would be nice.

The Digital Cinema version has the DNR so I think its never going to happen at this point.
Plus it sold and they just repackaged it in the UK.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #13 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
BenUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solihull, England, United Kingdom
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

The Digital Cinema version has the DNR so I think its never going to happen at this point.
Plus it sold and they just repackaged it in the UK.

Its also a Universal title, which is depressing, and understandable as to why a better version is (even more) unlikely.
BenUK is offline  
post #14 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenUK View Post


Its also a Universal title, which is depressing, and understandable as to why a better version is (even more) unlikely.

The HDDVD was just fine however
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #15 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Deviation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Posts: 2,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was really hoping for a Director's Cut with the practical effects and the story, character moments and dialog reinserted into the film. I think I'll pass on this release.
Deviation is offline  
post #16 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

The HDDVD was just fine however

Someone should mux the video encode from the HDDVD and the DTS-MA from the BD to make a proper BD then. Yeah.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #17 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post


Someone should mux the video encode from the HDDVD and the DTS-MA from the BD to make a proper BD then. Yeah.

It's been done....
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #18 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just watched it. It wasn't bad and I enjoyed it but the original was the best. Also at the end how did they screw up the guys googles!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #19 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I saw this in Oct and enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of the original, it is one of my all time favorite horror films. There is no way this was going to compete with that even if our minds hadn't already been made up about it.

The character development was shallow and CG was a bit overdone but apart from the glasses they did a good job of connecting it to the original I thought. I've certainly seen much worse prequels.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #20 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,373
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
For all of the decent little ways how the movie catches up to Carpenter's original, y'all are hung up on a pair of sunglasses? I watched Thing '82 right after Thing '11 and I can't say I noticed anything about matey's goggles. I'm not saying that there isn't a difference, but it certainly didn't leap out at me.

As for the movie, I liked it. It's not a patch on the original classic but it's not horrendously bad - it avoids the usual prequel pitfall of completely undermining the film that is supposed to follow it - and I'll definitely be getting this on Blu.
Geoff D is offline  
post #21 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

It's been done....

Well....

You holdin' out on me, bro? Give it here!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #22 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Member
 
Yosemite Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Let's be honest, you could have an 8K scan and there would still be multiple complaints on this site. People were bitching about the Thin Red Line and that transfer is gorgeous if you just sit down and watch it instead of reaching for the scalpel. Most people here don't watch the movies. They hover over the screen with a magnifying glass looking for every little flaw that appears for 3 seconds and declare the transfer utter garbage. It's thier hobby.

My hobby is enjoying films and BR is a big improvement over the DVD (which The Thing definately is). Especially when it's unrealistic to expect a movie like this (a famous movie but not considered iconic by the average joe) to get a 4K transfer. The studios aren't gonna foot the bill, whether that's right or wrong is inconsequential. But I'm happy the BR is quite good. I do agree that blockbuster movies like Star Wars should get a 4K transfer considering how many sales it will make.
Yosemite Dan is offline  
post #23 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

Let's be honest, you could have an 8K scan and there would still be multiple complaints on this site. People were bitching about the Thin Red Line and that transfer is gorgeous if you just sit down and watch it instead of reaching for the scalpel. Most people here don't watch the movies. They hover over the screen with a magnifying glass looking for every little flaw that appears for 3 seconds and declare the transfer utter garbage. It's thier hobby.

My hobby is enjoying films and BR is a big improvement over the DVD (which The Thing definately is). Especially when it's unrealistic to expect a movie like this (a famous movie but not considered iconic by the average joe) to get a 4K transfer. The studios aren't gonna foot the bill, whether that's right or wrong is inconsequential. But I'm happy the BR is quite good. I do agree that blockbuster movies like Star Wars should get a 4K transfer considering how many sales it will make.

The non Criterion Thin Red Line is a fine disc indeed.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #24 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
FitzRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Evil Dead 1 has a modern 2k transfer and looks perfect. The resolution is not the problem, it's the denoise filtration getting done at encode time that effectively lowers the resolution to 720p. Universal is the worst, they are clueless.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
FitzRoy is offline  
post #25 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRoy View Post

Evil Dead 1 has a modern 2k transfer and looks perfect. The resolution is not the problem, it's the denoise filtration getting done at encode time that effectively lowers the resolution to 720p. Universal is the worst, they are clueless.

Perfect? not by a long shot, better definitely but in no way perfect
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #26 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lordcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

Let's be honest, you could have an 8K scan and there would still be multiple complaints on this site. People were bitching about the Thin Red Line and that transfer is gorgeous if you just sit down and watch it instead of reaching for the scalpel. Most people here don't watch the movies. They hover over the screen with a magnifying glass looking for every little flaw that appears for 3 seconds and declare the transfer utter garbage. It's thier hobby.
.

Isn't running a magnifying glass over transfers, and pointing out flaws, no matter how small, why we're here and not on a forum dedicated to the enjoyment of movies, no matter if they're faithful or not?

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

lordcloud is offline  
post #27 of 80 Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
42041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

Let's be honest, you could have an 8K scan and there would still be multiple complaints on this site. People were bitching about the Thin Red Line and that transfer is gorgeous if you just sit down and watch it instead of reaching for the scalpel. Most people here don't watch the movies. They hover over the screen with a magnifying glass looking for every little flaw that appears for 3 seconds and declare the transfer utter garbage. It's thier hobby.

right... because the only possible positions one may take on a release are gushing fanboy and vitriolic hater What's wrong with complaints? Can an otherwise very good disc not have shortcomings (never mind that The Thing isn't in the same league/ballpark/sport as TTRL)? Can you not handle adult discussions about them without resorting to petty ad-hominem attacks?
42041 is offline  
post #28 of 80 Old 12-06-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Doug Schiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Back to the topic at hand...
I had high hopes for this remake.
I have no problem with remakes, it's always nice to see what a new generation of film makers can do with a great sci-fi story.

Sadly, the main problem besides the uneven effects, is the monster.

It was more concerned with jump scaring the cast instead of acting rationally.

In the first film, "thing" was smart and there was a real sense of dread.
It would not leave its host unless it had to.
The new movie, it busts out at the drop of a dime.
Doug Schiller is offline  
post #29 of 80 Old 12-06-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
General Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

Back to the topic at hand...
I had high hopes for this remake.
I have no problem with remakes, it's always nice to see what a new generation of film makers can do with a great sci-fi story.

Sadly, the main problem besides the uneven effects, is the monster.

It was more concerned with jump scaring the cast instead of acting rationally.

In the first film, "thing" was smart and there was a real sense of dread.
It would not leave its host unless it had to.
The new movie, it busts out at the drop of a dime.

It's a prequel not a remake, although the title would lead one to assume otherwise. Yes, I agree and it was a fear I had going into this that CG scares would replace atmospheric tension as they do in so many horror films these days. I enjoyed the movie more that I thought I would and again appreciated the continuity to the first but would have liked more subtlety and suggestions than creatures running after victims.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

 

2012

2011

2010

2009

General Kenobi is online now  
post #30 of 80 Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Malcolm_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CLASSIFIED
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I liked the movie. Didn't love it, but will get it on Blu Ray. Yeah, I actually posted that.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

Malcolm_B is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off