Universal in 2012 Rumoured release list - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
Blu-ray Software > Universal in 2012 Rumoured release list
cobolisdead's Avatar cobolisdead 07:47 AM 12-19-2011
Jaws films are must buy, and maybe ET, but most the other stuff is a pass for me.

LordAwesome's Avatar LordAwesome 10:59 AM 12-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenUK View Post

Schindler's List?

2013 is the 20th anniversary (shockingly ).
Fanboyz's Avatar Fanboyz 02:20 PM 12-19-2011
I just want Mallrats.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 02:50 PM 12-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

I just want Mallrats.

You and me both I am seeing Kev in Feb will try and ask him.
plissken99's Avatar plissken99 12:37 PM 12-20-2011
Yay for Jaws and Jaws 3D... but Jaws 2 isn't listed?

Also Bride of Chucky! Very good, now make with Child's Play 2 and 3 dammit!
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 12:59 PM 12-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

Yay for Jaws and Jaws 3D... but Jaws 2 isn't listed?

Also Bride of Chucky! Very good, now make with Child's Play 2 and 3 dammit!

That's MGM not universal.
plissken99's Avatar plissken99 01:17 PM 12-20-2011
No Universal owns 2 and 3, only part 1 is MGM.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 01:23 PM 12-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

No Universal owns 2 and 3, only part 1 is MGM.

Huh, I stand corrected
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman 04:28 PM 12-20-2011
Jaws and E.T. had better be super, spectacular 6k transfers from Laser Pacific and Technicolor using their original elements like a few of these other Spielberg supervised Blu-ray's and not HD-DVD VC-1 rehashes with old DVD transfers pulled off the shelf, dusted off, and slathered with EE, DNR, and any other Universal "bonus" they can think of.
Partyslammer's Avatar Partyslammer 08:52 PM 12-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Jaws and E.T. had better be super, spectacular 6k transfers from Laser Pacific and Technicolor using their original elements like a few of these other Spielberg supervised Blu-ray's and not HD-DVD VC-1 rehashes with old DVD transfers pulled off the shelf, dusted off, and slathered with EE, DNR, and any other Universal "bonus" they can think of.

Umm...... good luck with that.

I suspect the same HD master done for E.T. (which was the original cut, btw) for HD broadcast this past year will be what's used for the Blu-ray release. It looked very good, but not spectacular and seemed to be on a par with the (video) quality of Jurassic Park... Which means a lot of people aren't going to be very happy with the release.

I also dread how the Classic Monster series releases will come out considering Universal has frustratingly botched key aspects of otherwise good to excellent restorations of those movies in the past.
Yosemite Dan's Avatar Yosemite Dan 09:36 PM 12-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

If Jaws does in fact come, I wonder if we'll ever see a Jaws Anthology Blu-Ray set with Jaws 2, Jaws: The Revenge and Jaws 3 (hopefully in 3D). Even though 3 and Revenge are regarded as flops, I think they would be a sight to see on Blu-Ray. Especially Jaws 3 in 3D.

They could have an 8k scan and make Ben Hur look like a blurry mess in comparison but those 2 movies would still be unwatchable. They are both offensively bad that not even the best mind bending drugs could make enjoyable. Seriously though, the movies are ****ing awful.
PeterTHX's Avatar PeterTHX 12:15 AM 12-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

I suspect the same HD master done for E.T. (which was the original cut, btw) for HD broadcast this past year will be what's used for the Blu-ray release. It looked very good, but not spectacular and seemed to be on a par with the (video) quality of Jurassic Park... Which means a lot of people aren't going to be very happy with the release.

A bunch of whiners on a message board hardly qualifies as "a lot of people".
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman 01:47 PM 12-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

A bunch of whiners on a message board hardly qualifies as "a lot of people".

Whiners? Not so much. I think we're disappointed that more effort wasn't put forth for certain landmarks in movie making history.

Spielberg didn't even get involved with Jurassic Park even though he maintained the dino CGI texturing needed to be re-rendered to make them look good in HD like PIXAR had to do with their early animated features such as Toy Story. I wouldn't be surprised if he was probably given some B.S. line from Universal to "trust them" and didn't realize they weren't going to do new restorations.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 01:48 AM 12-22-2011
HarrisonS's Avatar HarrisonS 10:29 AM 12-23-2011
This list is rather disappointing, but not at all surprising. At least the following would be of interest to me:

Harvey
Erin Brockovich
Double Indemnity

I am especially disappointed that there are no Hitchcock classics listed, other than Psycho, which was release on Blu-ray a long time ago. Universal holds the rights to several of these, such as Rope, Rear Window and Vertigo, even though they didn't produce any of them! Evidently they intend to sit on these indefinitely, denying the public the chance to have them on Blu-ray.

There are other good movies in the list, of course, like the Back to the Future and Jurassic Park trilogies, as well as Out of Africa, but again these have already been released on Blu-ray. Apparently these are only re-issues.

I did not see the Jaws movies or E.T. in the list. Do we really have any indication at all that Universal intends to release them in 2012?
thebard's Avatar thebard 10:40 AM 12-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

I did not see the Jaws movies or E.T. in the list. Do we really have any indication at all that Universal intends to release them in 2012?

Jaws is listed under August, and E.T. under October.

Additionally, the Jaws release date has been posted on digital bits, blu-ray.com, jawsmovie.com, and elsewhere.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 12:05 PM 12-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Jaws is listed under August, and E.T. under October.

Additionally, the Jaws release date has been posted on digital bits, blu-ray.com, jawsmovie.com, and elsewhere.

Indeed, this list looks spot on
salz4life's Avatar salz4life 12:08 PM 12-25-2011
I know there are many more important movies.... but I'm looking forward to Slap Shot!
Murilo's Avatar Murilo 08:16 AM 12-26-2011
Why are there a bunch of films already released on blu-ray on the list?

Will these just be re-packaging?
RUR's Avatar RUR 08:38 AM 12-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

Universal holds the rights to several of these, such as ......Vertigo, even though they didn't produce any of them! Evidently they intend to sit on these indefinitely, denying the public the chance to have them on Blu-ray.

FWIW:

Quote:
I can attest to the fact that this week all the mag elements for "Vertigo" are being digitized to Protools at Blu-Wave Audio on the Universal Pictures lot. Perhaps that's pointing to a new release of that title on Blu next year.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/31...0#post_3875324
Stevie76's Avatar Stevie76 03:36 PM 12-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

I also dread how the Classic Monster series releases will come out considering Universal has frustratingly botched key aspects of otherwise good to excellent restorations of those movies in the past.

I have 1080i HDTV rips of "Creature from the Black Lagoon" and "Bride of Frankenstein", and they look very impressive, with all the finedetails and grain intact, no DNR anywhere in sight. So if they donĀ“t **** up and apply DNR, then we might be safe
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 03:39 PM 12-30-2011
The sky versions are pretty nice also
DigitalfreakNYC's Avatar DigitalfreakNYC 08:19 PM 01-05-2012
TDB confirmed the 3/6 titles. Looks like its legit.
Dex Robinson's Avatar Dex Robinson 10:12 PM 01-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

TDB confirmed the 3/6 titles. Looks like its legit.

I'm starting to get VERY excited as more and more of the list seems to be confirmed.

If the list is true, we should soon see confirmation for BUCK PRIVATES which is one of the great and most important of the classic comedies...plus it has the Andrews sisters singing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy. Abbott & Costello on Blu is one of my holy grails of the format. If that title gets confirmed, then I have to assume that the classic monsters (my other holy grails) and ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN will also become realities.

Those movies alone constitute half of my top dozen movies of all time.

It's like Christmas being rolled out in little bits .
vincent89's Avatar vincent89 04:44 AM 01-06-2012
From thedigitalbits:

Quote:

First, Universal has set Out of Africa for Universal 100th Anniversary Collector's Series Blu-ray/DVD combo release on 3/6. We've asked the studio whether this is a new transfer or just a re-issue of the existing version, and HAVE CONFIRMED that this is a newly-remastered version that should be far superior to the existing disc.

Great news
AMenard's Avatar AMenard 06:51 AM 01-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

Fantastic list...if it's true. ( and I saw the list yesterday and I do take it with a huge grain of salt). Best rumour EVER! I'm in for most of those new BDs.

The classic monsters are my holy grail of Blu-ray. And ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN is almost too good to contemplate.

My other hobby...building the old plastic models of the classic monsters:

I used to have them all when I was young... Those and the Godzilla models.
egrady's Avatar egrady 08:25 AM 01-06-2012
With To Kill A Mockingbird coming out on 1/31, as well as All Quiet On The Western Front on 2/14, we don't have long to wait before we find out if Universal has actually changed anything. A list of titles I'd love to have, but follows their historical approach, isn't much to get excited about.

If these two titles look like film and not HD Video, then I'll get pumped up.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 12:15 PM 01-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent89 View Post

From thedigitalbits:

Great news

I am sure universals definition of improved is not the same as ours
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop