Lion Of Judah (Blu-ray 3D) First Christian 3-D film released on Blu-ray 3-D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
On March 27th 2012 the Lion of Judah will be released on Blu-ray 3-D

(This movie will go down in history as the first Christian animated film released in 3-D for both the commercial theaters and on the Blu-ray 3-D format)

Note: The Lion of Judah is the first Christian animated picture released on Blu-ray 3-D and the first Christian motion picture released on Blu-ray 3-D. It should be noted that the Fabric of Time in 3D was the very first Christian title every released on Blu-ray 3-D and the Fabric of Time was also the very first Christian documentary released on Blu-ray 3-D.

There are around 15+ standard 2-D Christian titles that have been released on the Blu-ray format. The Lion of Judah will be the very first 3-D Christian movie to be placed on a Blu-ray 3-D disc. A 2-D version of the Lion of Judah is included also for consumers that do not own 3-D equipment and 3-D displays yet.

What is interesting is this movie is only being released on the Blu-ray format. There will either be no DVD for Lion of Judah or the DVD might be announced at a later time. (Reference: A search on Amazon and other websites shows no DVD release for this title).

This movie is for both children and adults. Its main target audience is children. It’s a story about Jesus Christ being the true sacrificial lamb for people’s sins. Some world religions today still sacrifice animals as a sin offering. Many world religions for several thousands of years since the time of Creation would sacrifice animals as a sin offering. Christianity has been preached around the world for nearly 2,000 years. People that converted to Christianity over the many centuries stopped sacrificing animals as a sin offering since Jesus Christ became the once and only true sacrificial lamb for all time.

Overview

When Judah is taken by the townspeople as a sacrificial lamb, his new zany barnyard friends from Bethlehem embark on an adventuresome journey to save him the week preceding the crucifixion of, The King. Will a lamb's heroic deed on an altar be enough to save the people-folk of their sins, once and for all? This daring quest will take you from the Bethlehem stable, into the Romans Courts passed the great temple, the hillside of Calvary, and onto the empty tomb, as The Stable-Mates come to the rescue! This epic heart-warming story intertwines humor and troublesome situations, while delivering foundational messages with gentleness and breathtaking beauty. For Judah, a lamb with the heart of a lion, it is a story of courage and faith that will lead you to the pivotal voyage of hope which started 30 years ago in Bethlehem, once upon a stable.”

This PG movie on Blu-ray 3-D can be purchased from either Amazon or DVD Empire. Release date 3-27-2012.

DVD Empire pre-order link

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I can't believe they wouldn't release a DVD for this movie. Have we seen any distributor try that yet?
Old 12-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Liked: 12
What woulda been cooler if the band "Lamb of God" released a 3d blu haha
Old 01-14-2012, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I verified that this Lion of Judah on Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray 2-D combo pack is being released by Warner Studio as a Blu-ray exclusive. A search on Amazon and DVD Empire still shows no planned DVD release. Release date is still March 27th 2012.

According to the specs the package will contain a Blu-ray 3D disc and Blu-ray 2-D disc. The PG movie is getting an English 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio soundtrack. Subtitles option includes: English SDH, French and Spanish. Special features include “The Lion of Judah": Behind the Scenes.
Below is the latest front and rear Blu-ray artwork:

Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

I can't believe they wouldn't release a DVD for this movie. Have we seen any distributor try that yet?

It turns out you ended up being correct. At the last minute a DVD version has been announced. See following post for details.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

I verified that this Lion of Judah on Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray 2-D combo pack is being released by Warner Studio as a Blu-ray exclusive. A search on Amazon and DVD Empire still shows no planned DVD release. Release date is still March 27th 2012.

The Lion of Judah Blu-ray is not a Blu-ray exclusive anymore. Warner Bros. studio decided to release the movie in 480i 2-D on the DVD format. So there will be two packages for this title (A DVD only package: UPC Code: 883929201976) (A Blu-ray 3-D of the movie that includes a 2-D Blu-ray version of the movie also: UPC Code: 883929222858).

Even though the Blu-ray format is almost 6 years old, it is not strong enough yet to offer an exclusive Blu-ray only release. Not releasing a new movie on DVD would result in consumers instead watching the movie on Blu-ray, video on demand, or streaming services.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Some movies here and there have been exclusively released on Blu-ray (no stand-alone DVD version). The most recent example is The Skin I Live In from Sony. Only one SKU - a Blu-ray / DVD combo pack in a Blu-ray case.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Brief review and comments regarding the Lion of Judah movie

I enjoyed the Lion of Judah movie on Blu-ray 3-D. Since I do not have a 3-D display yet I watched the movie in 2-D on a Pioneer PRO-101FD. The dual layer Blu-ray disc uses only 39.2GB of total space instead of the entire 50GB.

The 2-D version of the movie is encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and contains a 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio soundtrack. This is a lower budget animated movie. It cost only 15 million dollars to make. The Behind the Scenes 1080P extra feature on the Blu-ray even mentions the very little amount of time and money to complete this complicated Christian movie. The Lion of Judah animated characters in general do not offer as much fine detail compared to a 130 million dollar secular animated movie like Kung Fu Panda.

Even though the picture quality of the Lion of Judah was not as good as Kung Fu Panda it had a good surround track from time to time. The 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio track and rear channels sounded good and caught me off guard (When Jesus is being nailed to the cross one can hear the sound of one of the nails in the right rear channel). Plus other little moments when the surround channels sounds good for a low budget animated movie.

The Behind the Scenes bonus features were in 2-D 1080P MPEG-4 AVC (around 24 minutes). The Behind the Scenes is in 2.0 Dolby Stereo and was encoded with matrix Dolby Surround. If one places their Blu-ray player on bitstream and owns a modern A/V receiver it will detect and decode the matrix stereo soundtrack to Dolby Pro logic IIx (voices come out of the center channel).

I enjoyed the Gospel message being true to the historical record

This movie's primary target audience is children but many Christian parents most likely will enjoy the film also. The Lion of Judah is a fictional movie that contains fictional animal characters that talk. The Lion of Judah movie does an excellent job of being faithful to the historical Biblical record when it comes to Jesus Christ. The movie shows the life of Jesus using both the Gospel record and the fictional animal characters. The Lion of Judah movie shows the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ from the point of view of the animals. I have never seen a Christian movie like the Lion of Judah, it has a very unique storyline. Like most Christian movies the Lion of Judah has a message that Jesus Christ died and rose again for the sins of the human race. What is unique about this Christian movie is it shows little Children that Jesus loves animals and they no longer need to be sacrificed as a sin offering.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review.

Dave
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Looks like a good movie/story to share with the little ones, thanks for posting!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 619
"When Jesus is being nailed to the cross one can hear the sound of one of the nails in the right rear channel."

Grrreeeeaaaat... a crucifixion in multi-channel surround sound. Seems like a kids movie to me.

Personally, I think I'll stick with "A Bug's Life" or "Lady and the Tramp" if I want to show a kid something from the animation genre. But that's just me.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!