Adele Live at Royal Albert Hall - AVS Forum
Blu-ray Software > Adele Live at Royal Albert Hall
legierk's Avatar legierk 09:47 AM 12-06-2011
Anyone have any early reviews? The ones I've read so far have basically said if you haven't seen it yet, your life is incomplete...or words to that effect. Just wanted to get opinions before I go out a grab a copy.

iBob57's Avatar iBob57 11:36 AM 12-06-2011
Depending on what your question is...

The video is mastered 1080i. The transfer is very nice looking. Excellent black level, nice color palette, very sharp and detailed (you can easily see the glued-on eyelashes in a number of close-ups).

DTS-HD MA audio is spectacular. Whoever engineered the sound at the show did a tremendous job and the mix for the disc is terrific. If you are a fan of Adele's music (why else would you be reading this), yeah, this is a must-have disc.

BTW, she curses like a sailor.
legierk's Avatar legierk 01:34 PM 12-06-2011
Thanks. Just picked up a copy. Haven't spun it yet, but the back says Dolby Digital, which was a disappointment to me. If it is indeed DTS MA, that will be great.
legierk's Avatar legierk 06:01 PM 12-06-2011
Yep, DTS HD MA 5.1. Funny the package says DD. Anyhow, skimmed through it. Awesome sound. Center channel is very low in the mix, which is intended. Listening with an 11.2 setup through Denon 4311 and Klipsch La Scala mains. Her voice really makes those squakers come alive!
skibum5000's Avatar skibum5000 06:06 PM 12-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Anyone have any early reviews? The ones I've read so far have basically said if you haven't seen it yet, your life is incomplete...or words to that effect. Just wanted to get opinions before I go out a grab a copy.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track sounds great, just like you are there (running x-meridian soundcard using OPA627 opamaps to NHT Classic Threes and a sub). Not sure I think the stereo track might have been heavily compressed though, I'd have to check it again. Picture is 1080i so make sure to turn on de-interlacing. Only watched a few bits here and there but looked fine and sounded great, a realistic sounding mix.
HFXguy's Avatar HFXguy 11:21 AM 12-08-2011
I was surprised with the aspect ratio. I think it's my first 2.35 concert BRD.
runnernorth's Avatar runnernorth 01:23 AM 12-22-2011
I just purchased the Blu Ray edition, and I have to say, it's fabulous, nothing less. The DTS-HD mstr makes the whole thing, perfect sound! Now and then I get goosebumps when listening to her, she is fantastic. The fact it's recorded in Royal Albert Hall makes it a "special" concert, in my opinion anyway.
Merry Christmas everyone
:-)
mikefl52's Avatar mikefl52 03:27 AM 01-13-2012
Not much to add...

Wonderful voice, wonderful performance supported by excellent audio mixing and reproduction.
JBrax's Avatar JBrax 05:27 AM 01-13-2012
A must have for the BR music collection. Dave Mathews is another in my opinion.
erick granato's Avatar erick granato 08:38 AM 01-14-2012
Thinking of getting this, but I thought it was a teeny bopper artist or for scorned women?
JBrax's Avatar JBrax 10:34 AM 01-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post

Thinking of getting this, but I thought it was a teeny bopper artist or for scorned women?

Alot of her songs are about failed relationships and therefore could be termed for scorn women. Good music is still good nonetheless.
tony123's Avatar tony123 08:39 PM 02-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Yep, DTS HD MA 5.1. Funny the package says DD. Anyhow, skimmed through it. Awesome sound. Center channel is very low in the mix, which is intended. Listening with an 11.2 setup through Denon 4311 and Klipsch La Scala mains. Her voice really makes those squakers come alive!

My front three are LaScala too. You're review urged me to order it tonight! I love me some blu ray concerts!
Cam Man's Avatar Cam Man 08:58 AM 02-21-2012
One of our daughter's college teammates spent some time with us during the holiday break. She is an Adele super-fan, and brought the DVD with her. We heard it ad nauseum, and daughter is now a fan...so I just ordered the BD so that it can be enjoyed on the big screen.

Yes, the f-bomb is a frequent part of her vocabulary during the concert, but this has been explained to me as far more common in the UK and rather accepted as "normal" there. I've never traveled there, but I worked with a Northern Irish crew once, and the adjective "fookin'" was routine.
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar Shaded Dogfood 10:15 AM 02-21-2012
Yes, the f-bomb is a frequent part of her vocabulary during the concert, but this has been explained to me as far more common in the UK and rather accepted as "normal" there.

I remember back in '72 as a young person being over there, "shag" was their really dirty word. I struck up conversations with young ladies asking about their shag haircuts and got some alternately befuddled and horrified replies. Maybe some of our U.K. members can advise us whether things are still the same.
tony123's Avatar tony123 06:11 AM 02-23-2012
I very much enjoyed it. For content alone, it's one of my favorites now. She's a delight, making the concert very personal. Technically, it was a mixed bag for me. Particularly the faster tempo songs, were almost ruined by the goofy, busy video editing. Audio did some things very well and others not so much. Her voice was well presented and was the clearest and most direct vocal of any concert I have. On quiet acoustic numbers it was distinct and impressive. However, I did notice compression on the louder numbers. When the full orchestra joined in, it lost separation and simply became muddy. I also would have preferred a more solid low end. It wasn't as tight and potent as some. I boosted the LFE by 4db and it helped bring it out some, but overall it was sloppy LFE I thought.

Still, I would put this near the top of the pile as a great night of musical enjoyment that will get repeated viewing in our theater!
acevesf's Avatar acevesf 09:49 AM 02-23-2012
Watched this last night, really great audio, I was very impressed!
osiris13's Avatar osiris13 05:24 PM 04-26-2012
Did anyone notice any weird video artifacting? My copy has moments where it almost looks like the picture is smeared across the screen for part of a second.
Sharp1080's Avatar Sharp1080 11:39 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris13 View Post

Did anyone notice any weird video artifacting? My copy has moments where it almost looks like the picture is smeared across the screen for part of a second.

Where exactly are you seeing it, any particular song or time on the disc? My copy is fine.
adpayne's Avatar adpayne 08:43 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:

The video is a mixed bag. Closeup shots are great, but some others have tons of artifacts. It may not be noticable on a smaller screen/viewing distance, but it certainly is in my front projection setup.

I thought the audio was stellar, though.
osiris13's Avatar osiris13 09:52 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Where exactly are you seeing it, any particular song or time on the disc? My copy is fine.

The only parts I've seen so far are the covers of I Can't Make You Love Me and Feel My Love, and it is apparent throughout both scenes. This is coming from a Kaleidescape through an Anthem D2v to a Runco Q750.
adpayne's Avatar adpayne 01:29 PM 04-27-2012
Quote:

The only parts I've seen so far are the covers of I Can't Make You Love Me and Feel My Love, and it is apparent throughout both scenes. This is coming from a Kaleidescape through an Anthem D2v to a Runco Q750.

As I mentioned above, there are issues in the video. We both have projection setups (although yours looks to be a wee more expensive than mine ), so maybe we notice it more.
Sharp1080's Avatar Sharp1080 04:19 PM 04-27-2012
That explains it. I have not watched it on my front projector system yet! I only did a quick check of two songs. Upon repeated viewing I can see the same artifacts. The tighter shots seem to be fine.
kbfern's Avatar kbfern 02:04 AM 05-01-2012
The audio is reference quality but the video is awful on my 100" screen very grainy and soft (UK bluray).
Greg_R_STL's Avatar Greg_R_STL 09:05 AM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Particularly the faster tempo songs, were almost ruined by the goofy, busy video editing.

Overall, I really do enjoy the disc. The video quality is so-so, the audio is great, but whoever edited this needs to be beaten to death with their equipment rack Seriously, if a single cut in this program lasted more than one second, you could feel the editor getting impatient.
Sharp1080's Avatar Sharp1080 10:53 AM 08-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Overall, I really do enjoy the disc. The video quality is so-so, the audio is great, but whoever edited this needs to be beaten to death with their equipment rack
Seriously, if a single cut in this program lasted more than one second, you could feel the editor getting impatient.

Exactly! I was able to sit down and watch it from begining to end and It is obvious the editor has some disorder as far as being able to keep still. I love the audio it sounds wonderful but when viewing it's harder to follow visually because of the quick cuts.
slaveern's Avatar slaveern 10:56 AM 09-13-2012
I just got my new 55 ES6100 (before this I have not seen BRD on HDTV other than Bestbuy) and with this BRD I did saw a bit of artifacts, not so much close up, but at crowds on far shots (esp. darker area). What I see I'd described them as "swiggles" or zig-zags in small areas on the screen. Those are not high motion shots either. I just want to make sure it's not the TV or setup but the video source...
Up
Mobile  Desktop