Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Just watched Dragon Tattoo (UK extended Blu-ray) and while the PQ is largely good there's a bit of banding visible here and there. So much for that kick-ass dual layer encode.

I must be the only one who found the adaptation to be piss poor. So much has been condensed or altered, it's like the greatest hits version of the book. And that's the long version - I'd have probably turned off the theatrical after half an hour. I'm not looking forward to watching the next ones, but watch them I must.

I guess I'll have to read the first book to see how much they ruined of it. At this point, I prefer the Swedish version of Dragon to Fincher's, but I haven't read the book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

I guess I'll have to read the first book to see how much they ruined of it. At this point, I prefer the Swedish version of Dragon to Fincher's, but I haven't read the book.

They didn't ruin anything. As much as I enjoyed the books, there was a lot of filler IMO.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorToschi View Post

They didn't ruin anything. As much as I enjoyed the books, there was a lot of filler IMO.

I've read that, too.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

i guess i'll have to read the first book to see how much they ruined of it. At this point, i prefer the swedish version of dragon to fincher's, but i haven't read the book.

+1

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I assume your criticism was directed mostly to the last two films. If so, I agree. The PQ of both struck me as palpably inferior to that of the first. I really wasn't much bothered by the somewhat disappointing PQ, though, because the whole thing was so wonderful dramatically.

the pq didn't bother me since i knew when i bought the set the second 2 films were shot on 16mm and intended as a television mini-series. i saw lots of grain which, imho, is better than a lot of ee or other tinkering trying to dress it up.

it's the story i find so compelling and the narrative is so much clearer in the extended.

neflixis our nemesis
Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorToschi View Post

As much as I enjoyed the books, there was a lot of filler IMO.

Agreed.
The books drag in places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

it's the story i find so compelling and the narrative is so much clearer in the extended.

+1

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 02-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Anyone know where I can get the Uk trilogy and shipped to the states? Amazon uk is sold out and the 3rd party sellers will not ship here. Ive decided to go with it because of the English DTS HD track which isn't included with the more expensive U.S. release. Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post

Anyone know where I can get the Uk trilogy and shipped to the states? Amazon uk is sold out and the 3rd party sellers will not ship here. Ive decided to go with it because of the English DTS HD track which isn't included with the more expensive U.S. release. Thanks

How about HMV?

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=115006
Old 02-15-2012, 04:52 PM

ok thanks man. Don't know much about ordering from overseas other than Amazon.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

ok thanks man. Don't know much about ordering from overseas other than Amazon.

Pretty much the same thing, I think it took about 4-5 days at most the last time I ordered from HMV.

I don't know if the Canadian version has the DTS soundtrack, but it's ridiculously expensive anyway at about $65US.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Yes, it would be terrible if you missing some subtle sounds from the orginal master.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Anyone know where I can get the Uk trilogy and shipped to the states? Amazon uk is sold out and the 3rd party sellers will not ship here. Ive decided to go with it because of the English DTS HD track which isn't included with the more expensive U.S. release.

Note that the UK release only has a bonus DVD, which is also missing the long Stieg Larsson documentary of the USA bonus Bluray.

There seems to be marketplace sellers on Amazon UK who sell internationally: moviemars-usa even supplies from a USA based store.

Alternatively there is one on ebay for $45 + postage.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Yes, it would be terrible if you missing some subtle sounds from the orginal master.

Dang...I wasn't aware anyone would want to watch this movie in anything but its native tongue.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Dang...I wasn't aware anyone would want to watch this movie in anything but its native tongue.

I hate watching foreign films with dubbed English dialog, too. It just doesn't work for me, usually because the actors doing the dubbing are not ready for prime time. I guess the producers of the US Extended Edition BDs felt the same way and just didn't bother to provide HD audio on the dubbed version of the soundtrack. Works for me.

Just got my Extended Edition BDs back from my daughter and will start to rewatch them tonight, once again in the original Swedish. My daughter said that she and my son in law loved all three films. That's high praise where my son in law is concerned because he simply won't watch most foreign language films.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Unfortunately the English subtitles for the Swedish audio track are pretty bad IMO. They are (quite a bit) abbreviated in order to make them readable by average people, and in a good number of cases that I found the meaning of the original dialog (at least as compared with the book) was changed for the worse.

I found that the English-dubbed audiotrack did a much more elaborate (and accurate) job with the dialog, and was generally well-done, so I prefer it myself. They no doubt had the English-speaking audience in mind when they created it because again IMO they took more care with spoken translations than with the subtitling.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I hate watching foreign films with dubbed English dialog, too. It just doesn't work for me, usually because the actors doing the dubbing are not ready for prime time.

The only dubbed movie I can recall that really works for me is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Basically, I never bother with English dubs and just turn on the subtitles when watching a foreign movie.

Unfortunately, sometimes I find myself turning on the subs with an English language film.
Of course, that is a different issue altogether....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Unfortunately the English subtitles for the Swedish audio track are pretty bad IMO. They are (quite a bit) abbreviated in order to make them readable by average people, and in a good number of cases that I found the meaning of the original dialog (at least as compared with the book) was changed for the worse.

Crap...I hate to hear that.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found that the English-dubbed audiotrack did a much more elaborate (and accurate) job with the dialog, and was generally well-done, so I prefer it myself. They no doubt had the English-speaking audience in mind when they created it because again IMO they took more care with spoken translations than with the subtitling.

Thanks for this. We listened to the English audio while reading the English subtitles, and the differences were obvious, but we didn't know which was the more accurate wording. I like the Swedish audio due to its greater "presence" even though I can't understand a word they're saying (but it sounded like the Swedes pronounced "Lisbeth" differently than the English-language audio, which IIRC was more like "Leez'-b'th, which was odd for them to do, IMO), but that means having to read the faulty (as you noted) English subtitles. Maybe someday get the UK BD to have the best audio with the better-than-subtitles dialogue. However, I still prefer the actors' actual voices to the dubbed voices. Choices, choices....
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Crap...I hate to hear that.

If my experience is any guide, you have nothing to fear from the English subtitles on the US version of the Extended Edition films. All subtitles differ slightly from the actual dialog being spoken by the actors. What matters is whether the subs accurately convey the meaning of the scene. I was entirely satisfied with the subtitles of all three films in this regard. Perhaps some of those who are complaining about them could give us some examples of scenes in which inaccurate subtitles conveyed a seriously misleading impression, but only if they speak Swedish of course.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone has an example I can always translate. Just need to find the movie first.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If anyone has an example I can always translate. Just need to find the movie first.

Thanks, if anyone can point out differences between the spoken Swedish dialog and the English subs that concern them, it would be interesting to be able to discuss them here.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Netflix has the extended version available streaming:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dr...ition/70227034
Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

That is amazing and it should look pretty good in 720p, but not as good as the BR version.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I just got done watching 2 and 3. I had seen the first one off the vudu on demand program.

Jacob
Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My daughter returned my Extended Edition BDs earlier this week and I rewatched the first film last night. It was simply wonderful. There are so many subtle touches in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, there's something new to discover and enjoy with each new viewing. I should add the audio and video on this BD were outstanding, I could not have asked for more. Unfortunately, if memory serves, the PQ of the second and third films in this set is markedly inferior to the first. I understand that the last two films were made for TV and were shot on 16mm film, which would explain their (relatively) inferior PQ.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, if memory serves, the PQ of the second and third films in this set is markedly inferior to the first. I understand that the last two films were made for TV and were shot on 16mm film, which would explain their (relatively) inferior PQ.

True dat.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The price really jumped on this. If I remember correctly, on Amazon it was originally in the upper $40 range, now it's in the upper $60s. I've been on the fence as to whether to buy this or not, I guess I'll wait and instead read the books again.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, if anyone can point out differences between the spoken Swedish dialog and the English subs that concern them, it would be interesting to be able to discuss them here.

I guess I started this--will try to find an example or two.

I don't speak Swedish but was a big fan of the (English translated!) books, and was surprised when I looked at just a few scenes how weak the subtitling was by comparison to the spoken words on the Eng track. That was enough for me to be persuaded to run the English audiotrack, along with the fact that my wife doesn't do real well with subtitles.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

The price really jumped on this. If I remember correctly, on Amazon it was originally in the upper $40 range, now it's in the upper $60s. I've been on the fence as to whether to buy this or not, I guess I'll wait and instead read the books again.

It sure has, on release date it was $46.99.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok this is from very early in TGWTDT where Dirch Frode is looking for info on Mikael and is about to be introduced to Lisbeth, who had information to share. As you'll recall, Frode is (rightly) quite taken aback by the way she looks.

The English audiotrack:

Quote:

"As a general rule, we don't normally introduce our researchers to our clients...
but under the circumstances, and the important person you represent, we'll make an exception."

"I appreciate that."

"I should probably warn you that Lisbeth is a young woman who's a bit, ah...
...well "special" shall we say."

"How do you mean, "special"?"

"Oh, please don't be fooled by her appearance, she's our best researcher."

And the corresponding subtitles:

Quote:

We don't normally introduce the researchers to our clients.

But your client is special to us,
so we'll make an exception.

- It's much appreciated
- But I must warn you.

- Lisbeth is a pretty odd girl.
- What do you mean by odd?

Make no mistake.
She's the best researcher we have.

There's no mention in the sub of her "appearance" at all. I found that throughout the movie the audiotrack was richer and more accurate regarding these types of exchanges.

As I've said here many times, I don't care to argue with those who want to experience the original Swedish, only to point-out to others who may be "on the fence" that the dubbed English track is very good indeed.

Oh, I should add that the above is from the original (non-Extended) movie but I'd expect the Extended versions to be similar in their handling of these items.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Im gonna borrow a copy of the movie to see what they say in the movie. But a general rule about subtitling is that they have to cut down on the words to fit the subtitle on the screen.

They usually even use less words in the home video version because of less screen area.