post #61 of 73 Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Are people testing the playability of these discs?

Disc One played on my Oppo 93, the other discs don't play at all. Just locked the player up, all 0's across the display.

Annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post

Disc One played on my Oppo 93, the other discs don't play at all. Just locked the player up, all 0's across the display.

Have you tried connecting a flashdrive to the front USB port and using that as auxiliary memory with recalcitrant titles? I'm not sure if it works, but there are suggestions that it might make a difference.

I have just played Disc 1 on my Oppo 93 (firmware 917 from Sept 2011, BD-Live disabled and no internet connection) and although it pauses on all zeros for a long time (more than 3 minutes), it eventually moves on and plays. Also just started Disc 2 and it did the same thing, but is now playing.

I'm not discounting that there may be defective discs in sets, but I think it more likely that this set just takes a long time to load and process the Java/DRM and/or is upset by player configurations. I noticed that on inserting the discs, the Oppo 93 paused for a very long time (compared to other titles) just "Loading". This set takes the longest time to start playing that I have ever experienced with Bluray.
post #63 of 73 Old 03-27-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the responses on the playability issues. I have been mixing and matching my two sets and came up with what I guess might serve as the least problematic assemblage of discs one through five. Even at that, I had to shut down my player on disc two and restart, whereupon it played through (have not sat down to watch beyond that yet). But I think I am feeling with the hit and miss aspect of this, that it might be best just to return the sets while I have that option, and wait on a correction at some point in the future.

This issue is apparently not related to an upgrade as my player shows it is current, and actually with my older Panasonic, the disc set I put together did engage on all discs first time out, even though loading was every bit as slow as with first generation HD DVD players. Unfortunately, the fact it engaged once does not apparently guarantee any future plays -- not that I would be watching on that particular player, or be willing to substitute it in just for this set...
post #64 of 73 Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
My Oppo 83 sits showing a blank screen for a few minutes, but eventually it plays. It does take time, and scared me at first.
That said, its a great show, pity the season is so short.
J
post #65 of 73 Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

My Oppo 83 sits showing a blank screen for a few minutes, but eventually it plays. It does take time, and scared me at first.
That said, its a great show, pity the season is so short.
J

Gave that strategy a whirl over the weekend. I gave up the prospect of engagement after nine minutes. Reached through a low, immovable rack, behind an inconveniently situated power conditioner, and pulled the plug on it. Restarted by pressing PLAY, and the disc finally engaged. Not my idea of what I want to do each time out, plus what I worry about is being stuck with a disc that will not engage after it has done so in the past.This renders the set somewhat worthless to me, as I think I would see the need to replace it with a working one, possibly after general outcry and returns have signaled the need for a correction?
post #66 of 73 Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

Have you tried connecting a flashdrive to the front USB port and using that as auxiliary memory with recalcitrant titles? I'm not sure if it works, but there are suggestions that it might make a difference.

I haven't, didn't even know that was something I should do to correct it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

I have just played Disc 1 on my Oppo 93 (firmware 917 from Sept 2011, BD-Live disabled and no internet connection) and although it pauses on all zeros for a long time (more than 3 minutes), it eventually moves on and plays. Also just started Disc 2 and it did the same thing, but is now playing.

I can't say how long I waited. Probably not 3 minutes though (which is quite a while when you're sitting there staring at a blank screen.) My Disc 1 played right away.... so I assumed my others didn't when I stuck them in and waited a good couple of minutes while the Oppo locked up and displayed unchanging 0's. When you own a 500 dollar BD player, you really shouldn't have to go and shave while the release boots up and decides to finally run.
post #67 of 73 Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm now half way through Disc 4 and the interesting aspect is that each disc after the first one loads a bit quicker. However I have been watching them linearly without viewing any other material inbetween: perhaps it needs that Java from the first disc to still be loaded in persistent memory, without any other contenders) to smooth the loading of the others. I did notice that at the end of each disc it asks you to insert the next disc in the series.

Yes, it is annoying that Game Of Thrones isn't playing properly or as swiftly as other titles, but I'm not sure the blame can be pointed at Oppo: blame the studios and their damned DRM and tricky authoring. If it was the Oppo, you would be having endless issues with older titles too.

I don't know whether a USB stick supplementing the Oppo persistent storage will help, but I recall a beta tester mentioning a few other users noticed a difference with some titles: can't hurt to try.
post #68 of 73 Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 AM

Oppo owners. There is new firmware (March 2012) which should take care of the problem. Visit the oppo site, and your player's support page.
post #69 of 73 Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

I'm seeing no "new" firmware on the Oppo site (neither official nor public Beta), just the official release from a couple weeks ago.

That doesn't solve the issue. I applied it as soon as it became available. It solved a few issues with existing releases that weren't able to play at the time (like Hugo), but it definitely has no effect on the playability of Game of Thrones.
post #70 of 73 Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Hell, I haven't updated my Oppo in years, and GOT still plays.
And yes, it does seem quicker with each disc.
J
post #71 of 73 Old 05-15-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
This set was a blind buy for me, and couldn't be more pleased. Seen all ten episodes, and now working my way through the commentaries. I don't even get HBO, so I will need to wait till probably next spring to see the season 2 that is airing now, but I will probably STILL be re-watching season 1 at that time! Anyone hesitating to buy this set: go for it!
post #72 of 73 Old 05-18-2012, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 278
There's two threads in the HDTV Programming forum to discuss both seasons of GOT. Please use them. Thanks. (posts deleted) This thread is for the BD quality, etc.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #73 of 73 Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I finally got around to starting Game of Thrones, season 1 which I am getting from Netflix. One of the episodes on the disc 1 would not play but the replacement disc was fine. On disc 2, was unable to watch episode 3 due to freezing and un-synced audio (it started messing up at the end of episode 2). I'm going to give up and get it on DVD. My player is a Samsung BD-P1600 which I know is not the best. It is on the latest firmware.

Just wondering if these kinds of problems are common with G of T season 1 and if I should expect the same issue with season 2.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Game by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page