Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Wish every catalog titles looked like this.eek.gif

Ditto!

Speaking of "catalog titles," how would we define them? Do they refer to ALL films that were initially released on VHS/DVD?

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 435 Old 12-09-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
For the purposes of transfer quality I'd define "catalog title" as pre-digital intermediate, which became ubiquitous between 2004-2006. If a DI is involved then there's not much to the video transfer except converting the original digital 2K or 4K files to HD; all the heavy lifting's been done during the film's post-production. Something like the 2005 King Kong or I, Robot predates the blu-ray format but is really no different than any new movie for the purposes of blu-ray.
For a movie that was shot, mastered, and printed on analog film, transferring it to digital for home video release is a much more difficult situation.
post #423 of 435 Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

For the purposes of transfer quality I'd define "catalog title" as pre-digital intermediate, which became ubiquitous between 2004-2006. If a DI is involved then there's not much to the video transfer except converting the original digital 2K or 4K files to HD; all the heavy lifting's been done during the film's post-production. Something like the 2005 King Kong or I, Robot predates the blu-ray format but is really no different than any new movie for the purposes of blu-ray.
For a movie that was shot, mastered, and printed on analog film, transferring it to digital for home video release is a much more difficult situation.
I can't really argue with your technical points.

FWIW, I think of a "catalog" title as something pre-1990s....not sure why (maybe because I can't remember the 80s?tongue.gif).

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #424 of 435 Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I consider any film that came out before the present home media format to be "catalog". If the Blu-ray wasn't part of the available media on the first home release day, then that means they had to go back to their "catalog" and dust it off for a Blu-ray release. I personally don't think that a DI makes for a good cutoff point. I would consider 1993's "Super Mario Brothers" and 1998's "Pleasantville" to be catalog films, despite the fact that it used a DI process for many scenes.

When we get a 4K/8K format, what then will be considered catalog? Films released before the format existed.

Even if you don't agree with my reasoning, you have to admit that it makes things a lot easier. tongue.gif
post #425 of 435 Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

I personally don't think that a DI makes for a good cutoff point. I would consider 1993's "Super Mario Brothers" and 1998's "Pleasantville" to be catalog films, despite the fact that it used a DI process for many scenes.
When we get a 4K/8K format, what then will be considered catalog? Films released before the format existed.
Those films were not DIs in the modern sense though, even O Brother Where Art Thou wasn't even though it was 100% digitally graded. They were digitally color graded then recorded back to film; it was not stored as digital data. So all the same transfer issues apply.
Certainly the DI is not a perfect signpost, particularly since some newer movies don't use them, but the DI is the master format for newer films, and even on a future 4K format, you'll be seeing the same 2K and 4K digital masters since digital color grading is a lot of work and it'll likely be cost-prohibitive to ever redo most of them.
post #426 of 435 Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 149
^^^^^^

Thanks for the replies to my query regarding "catalog titles." For whatever reason I had the same mindset as oink, except I thought it was more like pre-1970s. I did a Google Search and although there were quite a few links to the subject of catalog titles, no one offered a definition. I'm leaning towards nathanddrews's thinking but I appreciated 42041's input about digital intermediates.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #427 of 435 Old 12-10-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
X

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #428 of 435 Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Wish every catalog titles looked like this.eek.gif

Sony's normally do
Kascnef82 likes this.
post #429 of 435 Old 12-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Sony's normally do
I agree. Sony invented bluray and the first bluray is a Sony movie. The ps3 helped Sony end the hd war.
post #430 of 435 Old 12-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

I agree. Sony invented bluray and the first bluray is a Sony movie. The ps3 helped Sony end the hd war.

The first film on a blu-ray was a Sony movie but you cannot buy it on disc, any guesses fact fans?
post #431 of 435 Old 12-23-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Charlie's Angels Full Throttle.

The first batch of BD's distributed by Sony was on June 20th, 2006:

The Fifth Element
50 First Dates
Hitch
House of Flying Daggers
The Terminator
Underworld: Evolution
xXx

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #432 of 435 Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 AM

Yep, knew someone would get it.
Angels was used as a test disc
post #433 of 435 Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
I bought the two disc edition. Cant seem to find other trailers for Lawrence on youtube like the 1989 reissue which is rare as hens teeth. That is on the more expensive four disc set.
post #434 of 435 Old 03-31-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

I bought the two disc edition. Cant seem to find other trailers for Lawrence on youtube like the 1989 reissue which is rare as hens teeth. That is on the more expensive four disc set.
I actually bought the big giant set because it's one of those movies that's not only worth it, but the included materials are really well done. At $40, I was happy to pony up for it. The coffee table book is worth the price of admission alone. This after owning the "burlap cover edition" (I don't know the official name of it) and the superbit edition on DVD.

It's funny, because in the "Why are BDs still so expensive" thread, someone brought up those big, robust laser disc collections. This not only has those features, but is right about the size of a laser disc package. My copy gets its own shelf, as do the Gone With the Wind and Wizard of Oz collector's sets.

I would have loved to have gotten the big Harry Potter set that comes in the model of Hogwarts, but I don't like the movies nearly well enough to pay the outlandish asking price. For those movies, the individual editions were good enough when I was able to get them on sale.
post #435 of 435 Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I actually bought the big giant set because it's one of those movies that's not only worth it, but the included materials are really well done. At $40, I was happy to pony up for it. The coffee table book is worth the price of admission alone. This after owning the "burlap cover edition" (I don't know the official name of it) and the superbit edition on DVD.

It's funny, because in the "Why are BDs still so expensive" thread, someone brought up those big, robust laser disc collections. This not only has those features, but is right about the size of a laser disc package. My copy gets its own shelf, as do the Gone With the Wind and Wizard of Oz collector's sets.

I would have loved to have gotten the big Harry Potter set that comes in the model of Hogwarts, but I don't like the movies nearly well enough to pay the outlandish asking price. For those movies, the individual editions were good enough when I was able to get them on sale.
Where did you get the big Lawrence set for $40.00, it looks like it's around the 60.00 dollar range.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Lawrence Of Arabia 50th Anniversary Collectors Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Lawrence by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page