Lawrence of Arabia (UK) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 435 Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rachael Bellomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Posts: 8,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

My sentiments exactly. With Robert Harris involved, and Sony's commitment to catalog titles, there should be no reason for concern.

Right?


(Right?)

Twilight Time again....

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Rachael Bellomy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 435 Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Add long as it's not the purple one I am cool, and it's the same team as Kwai so no need to worry about the disc.

I can't imagine Sony screwing up....I just can't.
They know their stuff.
They know the place LoA has in movie history.
If anyone knows HOW to get it right, it's Sony.

Now, if we were talking about Universal or WB or Paramount....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #33 of 435 Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Now, if we were talking about Universal or WB or
Paramount....

let's not forget Fox & what they did to Patton

I have a whole lot of confidence Sony will do a great job on what is arguably one of the greatest movies of all time.

I've been waiting for LoA since the beginning of the hi-def wars, when Sony & the BDA kept teasing potential BD buyers that LoA was "coming soon" to Blu-ray

If they somehow manage to screw this up with excessive DNR, EE, etc, someone very hi up at Sony should be canned. But I really don't think we should be concerned. Every Sony title I have in my collection has been excellent...they are some of the best. I think Sony learned a hard lesson after the initial release of 5th Element which they ended up remastering & did an exchange program for.

I'm very enthusiastic that Lawrence may finally get released in my lifetime

Steve
ss9001 is online now  
post #34 of 435 Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
hconwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's gonna be a geat summer!

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

JPEG's of my Home Theater.
hconwell is offline  
post #35 of 435 Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
ambientcafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
'El Aurens will come, because it is his pleasure.'


HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
ambientcafe is offline  
post #36 of 435 Old 12-21-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

let's not forget Fox & what they did to Patton

I have a whole lot of confidence Sony will do a great job on what is arguably one of the greatest movies of all time.

I've been waiting for LoA since the beginning of the hi-def wars, when Sony & the BDA kept teasing potential BD buyers that LoA was "coming soon" to Blu-ray

If they somehow manage to screw this up with excessive DNR, EE, etc, someone very hi up at Sony should be canned. But I really don't think we should be concerned. Every Sony title I have in my collection has been excellent...they are some of the best. I think Sony learned a hard lesson after the initial release of 5th Element which they ended up remastering & did an exchange program for.

I'm very enthusiastic that Lawrence may finally get released in my lifetime

Pretty much how I feel as well.

Well, except for the "arguably" part.
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #37 of 435 Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
XxDeadlyxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible this will be released in a 4K blu-ray at the end of next year too?
XxDeadlyxX is offline  
post #38 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cal68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I hope that the SQ will be as great at I know the PQ will be. The music score in this movie by Maurice Jarre is almost as magnificent as the photography.

I was in Morocco last year and went to some of the locations where the desert scenes in LoA were shot. They are near a place called Ouarzazate and after David Lean decided to shoot LoA nearby, the Moroccan government decided to encourage other film makers to come to the area by establishing a movie studio, Atlas Studio. The Moroccan's are very proud of the fact that many famous Hollywood movies have been shot in their country. Ouarzazate is a great little city to visit.

This will be a day 1 buy for me.

Cal68

Cal68
Cal68 is offline  
post #39 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

Is it possible this will be released in a 4K blu-ray at the end of next year too?

Not likely. 4K Blu-Ray is still a long way off. We might see demos at CES, but it won't be coming until they have enough 4K material to sell the format. Right now, there isn't much on the catalog side and they are still tiptoeing into the 4K finishing process for new movies.
LexInVA is offline  
post #40 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

Is it possible this will be released in a 4K blu-ray at the end of next year too?

Year after would be the Sony timeline
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #41 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 129
nice... I can not wait!

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
MSchu18 is offline  
post #42 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

I hope that the SQ will be as great at I know the PQ will be. The music score in this movie by Maurice Jarre is almost as magnificent as the photography.

I don't think that the sound quality can be quite on par with the picture quality. The original 65mm negatives provide for the potential of outstanding picture quality, but the original recording devices for sound were still relatively lacking by comparison.
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #43 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Strevlac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I don't think that the sound quality can be quite on par with the picture quality. The original 65mm negatives provide for the potential of outstanding picture quality, but the original recording devices for sound were still relatively lacking by comparison.


What kind of devices would those be?
Strevlac is offline  
post #44 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

What kind of devices would those be?

Not sure about the devices or all the reasons for it, but there is discussion at various places about it. I can't remember all of them, but for example here it is stated:

Because of 1962 recording techniques, much of the instrumental detail was inaudible, not only in the film, but on the original soundtrack as well.

http://www.filmscoreclicktrack.com/2...nce-of-arabia/
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #45 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thebard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Not sure about the devices or all the reasons for it, but there is discussion at various places about it. I can't remember all of them, but for example here it is stated:

Because of 1962 recording techniques, much of the instrumental detail was inaudible, not only in the film, but on the original soundtrack as well.

http://www.filmscoreclicktrack.com/2...nce-of-arabia/

Not sure what they're talking about there... the soundtrack was recorded analog, of course, but even in '62 it was standard for classical/orchestral works to be recorded in stereo, with multiple mics. Other recordings from the era have gotten very nice releases on CD.

I can see the audio from the film itself being difficult, however, due to the format, its physical location on the medium, and simple wear & tear.
thebard is offline  
post #46 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

every sony title i have in my collection has been excellent...they are some of the best. I think sony learned a hard lesson after the initial release of 5th element which they ended up remastering & did an exchange program for.

+1

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #47 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

+1

I think there are 3 titles people take issue with, but compared to every other studio they are gods.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #48 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I think there are 3 titles people take issue with, but compared to every other studio they are gods.

Yeah, I admit there has been a few.
I guess no one is perfect.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #49 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 01:17 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

let's not forget Fox & what they did to Patton

I have a whole lot of confidence Sony will do a great job on what is arguably one of the greatest movies of all time.

I've been waiting for LoA since the beginning of the hi-def wars, when Sony & the BDA kept teasing potential BD buyers that LoA was "coming soon" to Blu-ray

If they somehow manage to screw this up with excessive DNR, EE, etc, someone very hi up at Sony should be canned. But I really don't think we should be concerned. Every Sony title I have in my collection has been excellent...they are some of the best. I think Sony learned a hard lesson after the initial release of 5th Element which they ended up remastering & did an exchange program for.

I'm very enthusiastic that Lawrence may finally get released in my lifetime

I have been in their new Colorworks facility where this work is done. The folks their take great pride in their work. They are very focused on great post production work. I doubt many take as much care as them. For more info on this facility you can look here http://www.sonypicturespost.com/.
umr is offline  
post #50 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Robert Harris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I have been in their new Colorworks facility where this work is done. The folks their take great pride in their work. They are very focused on great post production work. I doubt many take as much care as them. For more info on this facility you can look here http://www.sonypicturespost.com/.

In no way meant as disparaging to Colorworks, Sony's post facility is one of a handful that are capable of doing quality work. It is totally untrue, incorrect, and demeaning to others in the industry to presume to doubt that "many take as much care as them."

RAH
Robert Harris is offline  
post #51 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Strevlac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

I can see the audio from the film itself being difficult, however, due to the format, its physical location on the medium, and simple wear & tear.

Bingo. It has nothing to do with the "recording devices of the time." Analogue tape, microphones, and multi-track mixing existed in 1962, it wasn't exactly the stone age.

I fully expect Lawrence of Arabia to sound spectacular.
Strevlac is offline  
post #52 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post


Bingo. It has nothing to do with the "recording devices of the time." Analogue tape, microphones, and multi-track mixing existed in 1962, it wasn't exactly the stone age.

I fully expect Lawrence of Arabia to sound spectacular.

Plus it would have been high end kit and no cheap 90's compression
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #53 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
luigionlsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My ideal covers would either be something simple like the Criterion (CAV) LD, or the 2-disc DVD (brownish case). Heck, even the Superbit cover would be great.

Ideally it'll be a larger box like Bridge on the River Kwai... and considering how that one turned out, I'm very confident that Sony will give us a great set, even if it's 6 years late!
luigionlsd is offline  
post #54 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Will2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

This:

I have a large version of that one framed and hanging prominently in my dedicated media room. It's beautiful and befitting of the magnificent epic that LoA is.

I can't wait to see the match being blown out and jump cut to the sunrise scene on the Blu-ray to be, or the long, heat-wafting-over-the-desert scene in which Omar Sharif rides his camel into the shot.

Wow. David Lean was a god of the cinematic epic.

English!
Will2007 is offline  
post #55 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I can't wait to see the match being blown out and jump cut to the sunrise scene on the Blu-ray to be, or the long, heat-wafting-over-the-desert scene in which Omar Sharif rides his camel into the shot.

Wow. David Lean was a god of the cinematic epic.

English!

Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #56 of 435 Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
^Impressive.
The most memorable for me was the bone thrown in the air and transforms in to a spaceship from 2001.
I can remember audibly gasping the first time I saw it all those years ago.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #57 of 435 Old 12-23-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d3code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have seen a demo of Lawrence of Arabia on bluray when i was in Japan on the sony demo floor.
at that time it already looked stunning. they ha dliek a dvd compared to bluray demo. cant wait to see what they will do with a 8K remaster.

and keep in mind that was in 2006 when i saw that demo.
d3code is offline  
post #58 of 435 Old 12-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Member
 
Stephen Pickard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Glendora, California
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
David Lean told me he liked the original artwork until "Characters started coming out of his ears".


Stephen Pickard
Stephen Pickard is offline  
post #59 of 435 Old 12-23-2011, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Tonite, on DirecTV's SonyHD channel, LoA played and I caught a few moments.
Didn't look too sharp.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #60 of 435 Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Tonite, on DirecTV's SonyHD channel, LoA played and I caught a few moments.
Didn't look too sharp.

Could have been the old muse master
dvdmike007 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Lawrence Of Arabia 50th Anniversary Collectors Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page


    Forum Jump: 

    Posting Rules  
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off