Jaws - Robert Harris review (see post #1 for link) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
QuiGonJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Damn. It would have been nice to have a steelbook like Scarface.
QuiGonJosh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DM2006RI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So...where's the JAWS 3-D announcement!?!?
DM2006RI is offline  
post #63 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I read somewhere recently that a shark was caught and killed just for the the tiger shark on the dock scene. Does anyone know if that's true? Am I the only one where that doesn't sit right with (if true)?
shamus is offline  
post #64 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,477
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 446
"Over the course of several months, skilled technicians at Universal Studios Digital Services meticulously balanced color, removed dirt and scratches, and repaired any damage to the film elements shot by shot and frame by frame."

I hope this doesn't mean color boost, DNR, and more DNR.

DavidHir is online now  
post #65 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vader424242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

"Over the course of several months, skilled technicians at Universal Studios Digital Services meticulously balanced color, removed dirt and scratches, and repaired any damage to the film elements shot by shot and frame by frame."

I hope this doesn't mean color boost, DNR, and more DNR.

For what it's worth, there is a (supposed) official screen shot from the "remaster" over at www.highdefdiscnews.com. It looks like there is a fine grain structure, but I will defer to the experts here, so let the screenshot feeding frenzy begin!.

Peace... Vader
 

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

 

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Vader424242 is offline  
post #66 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nick_danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I read somewhere recently that a shark was caught and killed just for the the tiger shark on the dock scene. Does anyone know if that's true? Am I the only one where that doesn't sit right with (if true)?

I think it's an urban legend... but it wouldn't be too hard to catch one or find a local fisherman who did.
nick_danger is offline  
post #67 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nick_danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

For what it's worth, there is a (supposed) official screen shot from the "remaster" over at www.highdefdiscnews.com. It looks like there is a fine grain structure, but I will defer to the experts here, so let the screenshot feeding frenzy begin!.

You mean this detail-less shot? I hope not. Maybe the scene is out of focus... or maybe it's been DNRed and then had synthetic grain applied... Lowry'd? Nevermind, I'll bite my tongue for now.


Comparison shots (from teh studio)
nick_danger is offline  
post #68 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

So...where's the JAWS 3-D announcement!?!?

It already was, well kinda in the leaked announcements
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #69 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

JAWS HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED!!! AUGUST 14th!!







http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLWvXaeDzwU


Sounds familiar
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #70 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
42041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

For what it's worth, there is a (supposed) official screen shot from the "remaster" over at www.highdefdiscnews.com. It looks like there is a fine grain structure, but I will defer to the experts here, so let the screenshot feeding frenzy begin!.

Not impressed with that shot, looks very flat and washed out, and not the kind of resolution you'd get from a camera negative, but I'll wait for the final product rather than go off mystery screenshots.
42041 is offline  
post #71 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Not impressed with that shot, looks very flat and washed out, but I'll wait for the final product rather than go off mystery screenshots.

Looks like the sky version

That restoration video is great, it gives us the name of the head of content management to bitch at with email campaigns.
Also their data center, we now need to plan a strategic strike plan to eliminate their DNR tools of evil!
I am sure if we get together we could plan an oceans eleven style heist.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #72 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 247
I can't believe the amount of people in other forums who are soiling themselves over that promo video, like Universal are now God's gift or something. Universal's status as Tinsletown's premier home video hacks cannot be undone with these centenary 'restorations', although it's a start (providing that Jaws isn't actually ballsed up, natch).
Geoff D is offline  
post #73 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
They will wreck it. Universal will make the shark stop working.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Fanboyz is offline  
post #74 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 679
When will we have a re-make .. ??

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #75 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Glad the rumors about the DTS mono were correct, I am very happy on that
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #76 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes a lossy 756kbs mono track for jaws, how nice of them.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Fanboyz is offline  
post #77 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Glad the rumors about the DTS mono were correct, I am very happy on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Yes a lossy 756kbs mono track for jaws, how nice of them.

One of you guys may even be right!

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #78 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

One of you guys may even be right!

We both are its DTS 2.0 lossy mono, better than no Mono track like I feared
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #79 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

We both are its DTS 2.0 lossy mono, better than no Mono track like I feared

Wow- I didn't know anyone ever bothered with lossy DTS any longer.

Better than nothing, but not good enough, IMO.

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #80 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
 
haineshisway's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Looks like the sky version

That restoration video is great, it gives us the name of the head of content management to bitch at with email campaigns.
Also their data center, we now need to plan a strategic strike plan to eliminate their DNR tools of evil!
I am sure if we get together we could plan an oceans eleven style heist.

Well, why bother to wait until you actually see it - just write him now to complain over some screen cap that you have no idea is from this disc at all.
haineshisway is offline  
post #81 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post


Wow- I didn't know anyone ever bothered with lossy DTS any longer.

Better than nothing, but not good enough, IMO.

Didn't buy the Blues Brothers then?
Would rather have lossy DTS than the lossy DD fox use for their original soundtracks.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #82 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Well, why bother to wait until you actually see it - just write him now to complain over some screen cap that you have no idea is from this disc at all.

When did I say I was going to do anything like that over Jaws?
I said it looks like the sky version, and it does.
I meant in general over Universal's usual crap.
Also reading is fun, jumping to conclusions is not.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #83 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Well, why bother to wait until you actually see it - just write him now to complain over some screen cap that you have no idea is from this disc at all.

Because expecting different results from identical actions is not logical.
Universal's "best" are still quite poor.

This will be the same awful thing we got with JP, except worse because it's older and more opportunities to "correct defects".

I'll buy it, everybody else will too.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Fanboyz is offline  
post #84 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Didn't buy the Blues Brothers then?
Would rather have lossy DTS than the lossy DD fox use for their original soundtracks.

Fox is not on trial here. They have been granted immunity because they re-issued "The French Connection".

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Fanboyz is offline  
post #85 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post


Because expecting different results from identical actions is not logical.
Universal's "best" are still quite poor.

This will be the same awful thing we got with JP, except worse because it's older and more opportunities to "correct defects".

I'll buy it, everybody else will too.

What's the sound? Reason? Yep that is reason.
+10000000
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #86 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post


Fox is not on trial here. They have been granted immunity because they re-issued "The French Connection".

Wait, What? trial?
Predator Ultimate Hunter and predator 2 says hi
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #87 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Wait, What? trial?
Predator Ultimate Hunter and predator 2 says hi

Immunity was granted. Deals were made, we just have to get them next time.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Fanboyz is offline  
post #88 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post


Immunity was granted. Deals were made, we just have to get them next time.

My universal plans are in action, paramount preparations were made in good faith.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #89 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here's some consolation;
Jaws, as I am told is not Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Everyone likes Indy better anyway.
As far as 70's horror movies go, Jaws does not compare very well to even something like "Eaten Alive".

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Fanboyz is offline  
post #90 of 754 Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Here's some consolation;
Jaws, as I am told is not Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Everyone likes Indy better anyway.
As far as 70's horror movies go, Jaws does not compare very well to even something like "Eaten Alive".

You sir, are destroying my brain today.

Twilight time release?
dvdmike007 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off