post #31 of 166 Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

It's grossed nearly $373 million worldwide on a budget of $135 million. The sequel is a no-brainer. Toss in disc sales & on-demand & you have quite a financial success. The U.S. box office is becoming less relevant as most films haul comes from over seas viewing. Can't wait for my copy to arrive, this will be a stunner on Blu-ray!

Well there you go it looks like the movie was successful after all. Did well in the European market. Im looking forward in watching mine also.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 166 Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

However, I thought the audio was almost exclusively restricted to the front and center channels with almost no rear channel activity. At one point early in the movie I actually stopped and checked the settings on both my receiver and the playback of the disc but that's how the audio seemed to be mixed.

Going by hd digest Partyslammer the audio received a 5 star rating. Mentions "the use of surround channels and a refined LFE but growls when it needs too". Im surprised that you got a different result.

Frank
post #33 of 166 Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Watched it with the family last night - we all enjoyed it. I thought the audio was phenomenal, and the 3D was the best I've seen outside of Avatar.

post #34 of 166 Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Going by hd digest Partyslammer the audio received a 5 star rating. Mentions "the use of surround channels and a refined LFE but growls when it needs too". Im surprised that you got a different result.

The sound mix was very low so you have to crank up your receiver..surround activity was good,but LFE wasnt anything special.
post #35 of 166 Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpan View Post

The sound mix was very low so you have to crank up your receiver..surround activity was good,but LFE wasnt anything special.

Fully agreed. I had my receiver cranked up about 50% more than it's usual volume and still had no danger of disturbing the neighbors.

I watched this back to back with "Bag of Bones", which was full of booms and bangs, mostly with the music.

The plane crash, the tank and the "crane fight" really could have used a bit more punch.

I also agree the sound envelope was very active, despite the lack of bass. The dialog was also very clear.

Very impressive animation, too.
post #36 of 166 Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Who cares how "active" it was? Did it sound good and involve you in the story?

I don't feel special...
post #37 of 166 Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 AM

Darn, bought this blind, looking for the dog.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

post #38 of 166 Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Watched it last night and loved it even more after seeing it in theaters. The action/adventure theme is fantastically executed and it keeps you on the edge of the seat once it gets rolling.

I agree on the bass being a little low, i had to crank this up to -7 whereas my normal movie watching is between -10 and -15, but other than that the surround was very well done.

I bought this in 3D though i don't have a 3D setup yet. Having watched this in 3D in theaters know this would be a treat once i upgrade.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #39 of 166 Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I wonder how it did in Europe? I don't think many people in the states were aware of Tintin comics.

I certainly wasn't that familiar with them.

BTW, is Captain Haddock as annoying in the comics as he was in the film? Because I felt things took a turn for the worse as soon as he appeared.
post #40 of 166 Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post

I certainly wasn't that familiar with them.

BTW, is Captain Haddock as annoying in the comics as he was in the film? Because I felt things took a turn for the worse as soon as he appeared.

Not really.

Frank
post #41 of 166 Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Didn't think he would sound like that lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #42 of 166 Old 03-15-2012, 06:44 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Didn't think he would sound like that lol

How did you think he would sound like?

Frank
post #43 of 166 Old 03-15-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpan View Post

This is true. I thought that once you adjusted the volume upward, the audio became reference. The movie was good but not great. I guess I've come expect so much from SS. Still, a very good movie.
post #44 of 166 Old 03-15-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I thought the soundtrack was pretty decent with nice discrete effects. I also had to adjust the volume higher than I normally do to hear all the dialog. The LFE was disappointing though. The plane crash had almost no impact as a result. The crane battle near the end though sounded pretty good with a little more low-end support.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #45 of 166 Old 03-15-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
watched 2d bd last night. phenomenal animation. some of the best i've seen.
great transfer as well. the story line didn't really hold me but watched it till the end just to admire the animation work.

neflixis our nemesis
post #46 of 166 Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Who cares how "active" it was? Did it sound good and involve you in the story?

Audio immersion is important to bringing you into the story.

If a car passes, and the audio doesn't follow it to the appropriate speaker, it takes away from the illusion being created.

When you're in a busy city street or a bazaar in Africa, you expect a lot of incidental sounds occurring in all the speakers.

So, I personally care how active it is when it's supposed to be active. If it's not active when it should be, it doesn't bring me into the scene like it should.

As a result, as I said earlier, while the bass wasn't as punchy as it ought to have been in certain scenes where big heavy things were crashing around and stuff was going boom, the envelope was very active in those action scenes and very immersive.

I give it an A for using the surrounds properly and not overcooking the audio. It would have been an A+ if the low end was there when appropriate to the action.
post #47 of 166 Old 03-16-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
It is beautiful looking, but the sound is silly low
post #48 of 166 Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I watched again in 3D this weekend. It actually made the movie better, IMO.
post #49 of 166 Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I'm not. I was equally let down by this mix for the same reasons. It's been a long time I paid attention to "professional" audio reviews, for reasons like this.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #50 of 166 Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I'm not. I was equally let down by this mix for the same reasons. It's been a long time I paid attention to "professional" audio reviews, for reasons like this.

I have to agree going by everyone here the audio seem to favour on the low side which wasn't mentioned on that site. Well it comes out here next month and as Ive seen it I will buy it regardless.

Frank
post #51 of 166 Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 847
My 3D disc set came the other day and got a chance to watch it over the weekend. I hadn't seen it in the theaters, and only the 3D disc so far, so my impressions are limited until I watch it again in 2D one of these days, too. Although first time thru it didn't grab me the way some of my favorite films have, but sometimes I need to watch again and let a film grow on me.

As far as the US and Tintin goes, I never saw him before a friend who had an extensive collection introduced me to the English version books, and that was 20 years ago. I enjoyed reading them all. I doubt many of my friends knew of Tintin before this film came out and many still don't. Can't say I've run across much Tintin in the meantime until I saw the ads for the theatrical release, but knew I'd go ahead and buy it blind, pretty much a no-brainer for me.

I thought overall the pq and sound was quite good, although I also at one point had to look at what the avr was indicating, whether a 7 channel format or not. I experienced a few 3D anomalies (I have no idea what the term would be) but don't know if they were deliberate, either as they kind of reminded me of the blue streaks JJ Abrams put in Star Trek and Super 8. I'll watch again and make some notes, right now I couldn't tell you exactly what the scenes were or if that perhaps changing settings could resolve it, and there were only maybe three times I noticed anything.

Tintin I'd rate a 7.5 for now overall.

post #52 of 166 Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

How did you think he would sound like?

the croaking in his voice was a bit overdone in my opinion. I guess I kind of wanted him to say blistering barnacles morelol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #53 of 166 Old 03-19-2012, 11:12 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

the croaking in his voice was a bit overdone in my opinion. I guess I kind of wanted him to say blistering barnacles morelol

And " Thundering Typhoons " To be honest I thought he sounded ok.

Frank
post #54 of 166 Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 622
We just watched this tonight. I thought it was a fun, swashbuckling yarn. Reminded me a bit of Indiana Jones and Nathan Drake from Uncharted. The animation was stunningly lifelike at times. There were some scenes that had me questioning it's PG rating. Seemed more PG13 appropriate. I thought the use of surrounds was excellent. However, for a DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack of this caliber, the LFE was surprisingly light.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #55 of 166 Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

We just watched this tonight. I thought it was a fun, swashbuckling yarn. Reminded me a bit of Indiana Jones and Nathan Drake from Uncharted. The animation was stunningly lifelike at times. There were some scenes that had me questioning it's PG rating. Seemed more PG13 appropriate. I thought the use of surrounds was excellent. However, for a DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack of this caliber, the LFE was surprisingly light.

They can't seem to get the LFE right in a lot of these animated titles, HTTYD had TOO much LFE (not in a good way), and this and Kung Fu Panda 2 not enough.
post #56 of 166 Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:

??? This wasn't G rated?

post #57 of 166 Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

??? This wasn't G rated?

Yeah, I guess with all the stabbings, shootings, drownings, and boozing, you'd think it was G rated. Go figure.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #58 of 166 Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Apparently its been mixed quite low waboman.

Frank
post #59 of 166 Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Yeah, I guess with all the stabbings, shootings, drownings, and boozing, you'd think it was G rated. Go figure.

Just to think they got it wrong

Frank
post #60 of 166 Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thinking back on the movie, while I liked it overall, I figured out what was missing for me:

A sense of investment in the welfare of the characters.

Even in the most perilous scenes, I never had any concern about their fate. It never once occurred to me that anything bad could happen to them.

This was completely opposite to how I felt watching Toy Story 3. With that film, despite the fact they were not only animated characters, but toys, and I knew nothing bad would happen to the main protagonists, I felt a sense of tension in that scene at the landfill. I cared what happened to them. I wanted them to get out of the situation they were in.

I didn't have that same feeling with these characters. I didn't find myself wanting them to succeed (or fail, for that matter).

I think that's a sign of a great film (animated or live action): when you care what happens to the characters, good or bad.

In this case, while I was entertained, I didn't feel invested.

Honestly, I haven't felt invested in the characters in a Spielberg production in a long time. I think Band of Brothers was the last one.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page