post #151 of 166 Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

So the best you could come up with is a brief long distance shot.

Sorry, I didn't spend much time thinking about it. You set a pretty low bar with your criteria, though: Any and Ever.

Mistaking an animated character for a real human wasn't central to any of my arguments. I'd be quite satisfied with relatable, engaging and affecting, of which there are a multitude of examples.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 166 Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

You set a pretty low bar with your criteria, though: Any and Ever.

Yes, I should have realized that without explicitly stating I was talking about a portrayal (which is obviously what I meant), that someone would drive through the loophole and equate a portrayal with ANY shot, no matter how brief or far away.
post #153 of 166 Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PQ on this = great. The mocap in this was awesome. Certainly a big step above the work of the ImageMovers Digital films.
post #154 of 166 Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

While pondering this discussion, one actually occurred to me. Indiana Jones. He was animated in Temple of Doom, along with Willie and Short Round. I'm sure there are viewers who had no idea that they were watching stop-motion animation during the mine car chase scene.

Scott

I have to admit im one viewer that didn't know that.

Frank

post #155 of 166 Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I have to admit im one viewer that didn't know that.

post #156 of 166 Old 04-06-2012, 02:20 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Thank you MovieSwede.

Frank

post #157 of 166 Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:

The Star Trek Animated Series, like the Lord of the Rings animated movies, were not successful. The animation was cheap-looking, some of the voice acting was weak, and the soundtrack was limited, with lots of stock sounds. Some of the scripts were written by actual Trek scribes, but the series was clearly aimed at children, and suffered for it. The execution is what hurt the show.

The original Star Trek live action series was also not successful. The special effects were cheap-looking, some of the acting was weak, and the soundtrack was limited, with lots of stock sounds. Some of the scripts were clearly aimed at children, and suffered for it. The execution hurt the show.

I guess the lesson learned here is that Star Trek could never work in any media, right? Oh...

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #158 of 166 Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 22
I thought this was one of the worst-looking transfers I've ever seen. I simply could not understand it when watching that a movie made digitally these days could look like an upconverted DVD.

I got so annoyed that I took it out of the player only to find I WAS watching an upconverted DVD. What brainiac puts a DVD on the RIGHT in the package and the Blu-ray on the LEFT under a piece of paper where you cannot see it. So, one just assumed that the disc that, you know, you could see would be the one to play. The Blu-ray looked great. Unfortunately, for me, the movie was a lox.

Putting the DVD on the right is almost as stupid as the spell check that automatically changes upconverted to unconverted.
post #159 of 166 Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The original Star Trek live action series was also not successful. The special effects were cheap-looking, some of the acting was weak, and the soundtrack was limited, with lots of stock sounds. Some of the scripts were clearly aimed at children, and suffered for it. The execution hurt the show.

I guess the lesson learned here is that Star Trek could never work in any media, right? Oh...

Uh, not exactly.

My comments about the animated series were in contrast with the original:
  • The special effects were state of the art for TV at that time. The animation was not. They also clearly used the same stock footage of the characters for episode after episode
  • Overall, the acting by the principle actors was good in the original series, but some of those same actors sounded like they were cold-reading off the script. This may be partly due to most of the actors recording their dialog separately, thereby lacking the interplay missing from the classic
  • The soundtrack for the live-action show had specific music written for specific episodes, with sound effects that were developed for the show. The animated series largely used recycled sounds from both the original series and with other Filmation properties, show after show
  • Some of the scripts of the original series contained childish elements. Most of the scripts for the animated series were primarily aimed at a child audience
That said, the medium did offer one advantages over the classic series: Aliens and planets could be much more diverse, freeing the imagination of the writers.

So, no, it doesn't show that Star Trek couldn't work in any media. Rather, it shows that it could work in either. The animated series just didn't live up to the standard set by the original, due to poor execution.

Scott

post #160 of 166 Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

I thought this was one of the worst-looking transfers I've ever seen. I simply could not understand it when watching that a movie made digitally these days could look like an unconverted DVD.

I got so annoyed that I took it out of the player only to find I WAS watching an unconverted DVD. What brainiac puts a DVD on the RIGHT in the package and the Blu-ray on the LEFT under a piece of paper where you cannot see it. So, one just assumed that the disc that, you know, you could see would be the one to play. The Blu-ray looked great. Unfortunately, for me, the movie was a lox.

I always freak out about this happening to me.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #161 of 166 Old 04-07-2012, 02:34 PM

Liked: 14
A little wager that within the next five years, they can bring Norma Jeane back to life...

My dedicated home theater room:
post #162 of 166 Old 04-07-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

I saw that long ago and the part where they explain the miniature camera movement being based on anticipatory head movements (turning to see on-coming curves) always stuck with me. I'd forgotten where I actually learned of it, until I was reminded by that clip. Thanks.

Rich H

post #163 of 166 Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
Finally got to see this. Beautiful film, too bad it's just empty bombast.
post #164 of 166 Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

finally got to see this. Beautiful film, too bad it's just empty bombast.

+1

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #165 of 166 Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just noticed that I purchased this one a while back, but forgot that it was in my video library, still unopened. Guess it hasn't seemed all that important to watch it just yet, but now that I'm reminded it's lying there just waiting on me, I hope to see it soon.

Opinions about it seem to be all over the place, so hope I don't regret the purchase.

oz
post #166 of 166 Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Beautiful film, too bad it's just empty bombast.

A little empty bombast, now and again, is a nice thing.

I don't feel special...
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page