Downton Abbey series 1 and 2 box set - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-01-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone confirm that the box set of season 1 and 2 is region free? It's available from Amazon UK for a little over $52.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-01-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Fairly confident that it is region free, considering that the individual releases (series 1 and 2) are region free. Don't forget to also pick up Christmas at Downton Abbey, which although sounds like it's just a Christmas special, it really picks up where series 2 ended and spans from 1919 to 1920. It also sets up new story lines for series 3.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post

Can anyone confirm that the box set of season 1 and 2 is region free? It's available from Amazon UK for a little over $52.

Notice that Amazon US offers both UK and US Downton Abbey editions (both series), presumably 1080i25 (aka 1080/50i) and 1080i30 (aka 1080/60i), respectively. Presumably all-region players could handle both, but after ordering a 'region-free' Little Dorrit from Amazon UK last summer, not designated 50i or 60i online, or even on the Blu-ray package (only 1080i), found the 50i UK Dorrit set wouldn't play on my region-A-(1)-only Sony PS3 machine, so mailed it back across the pond for a refund.EDIT2: Apprarently, from the HD programming Abbey thread, the series 1 disc set was released (unusually these days) like a standard Blu-ray, at 1080/23.97p. So, with no region-code blocking, should work on any machine.

New Years Day the NY/NJ HD PBS station had a marathon playing of series one. Nice PQ, despite the bitrate OTA/cable limitations versus BRs, as discussed earlier in the HDTV programing section here. Still haven't seen a 1080/60i Dorrit Blu-ray, as broadcast here like Abbey. -- John

EDIT:Apparently, with some doctorate-level research, one can pin down--maybe prepare a spreadsheet--showing which Abbey BR editions are edited differently, etc. etc.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
For those interested in this series (which won the Emmy for Outstanding Miniseries), the best bet seems to be Season 1 from Amazon UK for $19.76 (incl. shipping) and Season 2 (pre-order Feb. 7) from Amazon US for $24.99. Christmas on Blu-ray is ONLY available from the UK for $23.43 plus shipping.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page