Extras TBA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Average movie, with a great performance by leonardo.

The Ultraviolet and dvd.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I missed this movie in the theaters and I have just watched it on Blu ray. At least on the BD most of the movie, and especially the beginning, is very dark and/or exhibits very sharp contrasts between dark and light spots in the picture. Was it that way in the theaters? On the positive side, I did not detect any EE or DNR.

To sum up, the overall look of the BD may be exactly what the filmmakers want, but I didn't like it a bit.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-11-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey1 View Post

I missed this movie in the theaters and I have just watched it on Blu ray. At least on the BD most of the movie, and especially the beginning, is very dark and/or exhibits very sharp contrasts between dark and light spots in the picture. Was it that way in the theaters? On the positive side, I did not detect any EE or DNR.

To sum up, the overall look of the BD may be exactly what the filmmakers want, but I didn't like it a bit.

So you want all films brightly lit?
post #5 of 14 Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
At least on the BD most of the movie, and especially the beginning, is very dark and/or exhibits very sharp contrasts between dark and light spots in the picture. Was it that way in the theaters?

Yup.

CW Hinkle
post #6 of 14 Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

At least on the BD most of the movie, and especially the beginning, is very dark and/or exhibits very sharp contrasts between dark and light spots in the picture. Was it that way in the theaters?

Yup.

Thank you for the info.! To answer the previous post: no, i don't want all films brightly lit. I just felt that what I was seeing was rather extreme and I don't really understand why the filmmakers chose to go down that road. May be it's also my eyes which are aging with me, who knows?
post #7 of 14 Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey1 View Post

Thank you for the info.! To answer the previous post: no, i don't want all films brightly lit. I just felt that what I was seeing was rather extreme and I don't really understand why the filmmakers chose to go down that road. May be it's also my eyes which are aging with me, who knows?

Never saw it in theaters but got an early copy of the BD and watched it last night, it is a very dark film in terms of lighting. I thought at first that was their way of establishing the time period of his earlier life, but then most scenes in his later life were just as dark setting, I also don't get why filmmakers think they need to do that, so many newer films are either bright orange and teal, or dark and somber.

Really disappointed in J. Edgar, what a complete mess. The jumping back & forth into time so often was distracting to the point of being annoying, and the makeup to make the actors look old was horrible, especially Armie Hammer / Clyde Tolson. I read a quote from Eastwood in talking about the film he said he "didn't give sh!t" if Hoover was gay. Maybe if you don't care about what made someone tick you shouldn't make a movie about him? I don't feel like I know anything more about Hoover that I didn't already know before watching this film.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I watched it last night, i agree that it was a little darker than I'm used to. Shadow detail was a little disappointing. I agree, the make up was not the best and I found myself concentrating on their faces. All in all, a decent movie rental, pretty interesting content, for sure. Leonardo was excellent, as always. A good movie, not great, but good. But it was refreshing not to see any cgi crap in a new movie.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I finished watching this last night. I'm torn. Very good performances but it felt like a history of the FBI as opposed to Hoover. Good but not great.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM

I watched it the other day and was very disappointed. I felt the film was very flat, easily Eastwood's worst film as a director.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
At the moment, I can't bring myself to purchase this one, or to even rent it for that matter. Maybe I'll catch it on TV some day and watch it then. The same goes for The Iron Lady with Meryl Streep. Of course, my feelings could change before either of those happen.

oz
post #12 of 14 Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

it felt like a history of the FBI as opposed to Hoover.

Very difficult to have a history of Hoover that wasn't a history of the FBI or visa versa.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #13 of 14 Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Very difficult to have a history of Hoover that wasn't a history of the FBI or visa versa.

Art

I certainly agree. In fact, I feel that's why I liked it more than most because of the strong FBI ties. Still, torn about recommending to anyone.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I really wanted to like it but I ended up watching it over two nights because I kept falling asleep. I agree with others in their observation of extreme contrast. There's nothing wrong with a dark film but at least have some shadow detail.

I didn't find DiCaprio all that impressive, and I usually like the guy. I cannot comment on the accuracy of his accent but it took me out the film. And the makeup was bad. Poor Armie Hammer had no facial expression in the old man makeup.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page