Universal 100th Anniversary releases - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 223 Old 01-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm concerned about The Birds, which is filled with optical effects awaiting to be grain-managed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 223 Old 01-21-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

I'm concerned about The Birds, which is filled with optical effects awaiting to be grain-managed.

It's universal, it's already too late
post #93 of 223 Old 01-21-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
When we all switch to 4K, I am confident that Universal's catalog titles will look 1080p.

Will Universal ever learn from their mistakes? Why is it taking them so long to put proper effort on restoring and remastering catalog titles?

Blu-ray : 340
post #94 of 223 Old 01-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

When we all switch to 4K, I am confident that Universal's catalog titles will look 1080p.

Will Universal ever learn from their mistakes? Why is it taking them so long to put proper effort on restoring and remastering catalog titles?

What they consider to be 'proper effort' is still sub-par.

Why don't they take a trip over to the Criterion offices, they might learn a thing or two.
post #95 of 223 Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

When we all switch to 4K, I am confident that Universal's catalog titles will look 1080p

Ah but Universal did hear us so they invited a promoter or two who declared Universal had 'changed its ways' and then the studio went and released BDs with the same old issues, but they did work on the PR part.

As for 4K Universal did address this in a PR piece saying their automatic filtering makes their 2K scans look like 4K. Relieved now? Universal saved money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Now the actual complementary digital restoration tools such as flicker stabilization or print damage restoration are really the only things needed. Not the digital patina of lost visual fidelity.

You mean by hand tools? But automatic DNR is much cheaper and it not only gets rid of print damage it also wipes the film clean! Clean of film grain and clean of fine detail, but dont worry Universal uses EE to 'save' some info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

In this thread people and dubious web sites get taken in by universal again

Well the websites 'job' so to speak is to repeat what the studio/distributors say rather then judge them on their track record.
post #96 of 223 Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

From looking at those Mockingbird screenshots, it looks like Universal's method of 'remastering' it is to make-it-darker.
post #97 of 223 Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
For those wondering why Universal's BDs are subpar, you really shouldn't.
The reality is (from their POV), it's all about economics.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #98 of 223 Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

What they consider to be 'proper effort' is still sub-par.

Why don't they take a trip over to the Criterion offices, they might learn a thing or two.

Criterion uses old, dated, and downright ugly masters from time to time too. Not the best example.
post #99 of 223 Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawwstin View Post

Criterion uses old, dated, and downright ugly masters from time to time too. Not the best example.

I was mainly referrring to them never using DNR or EE, or dodgy or outrageous video-clean-up techniques.... a bad master is a bad master but Universal just make it even more bad for the Blu-ray.

Even when they have good masters they still screw it up.
post #100 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Excuse me, but what the **** has the economy got to do with all this ****? These are brand new scans and Universal is paying quite a lot of money for the restorations. The problem is that their restoration and preservation department is full of idiots who like to **** up the films. "Managing film grain" and trying to fix the camera movement on brand new transfers has nothing to do with the economy.
post #101 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Ah but Universal did hear us so they invited a promoter or two who declared Universal had 'changed its ways' and then the studio went and released BDs with the same old issues, but they did work on the PR part.

As for 4K Universal did address this in a PR piece saying their automatic filtering makes their 2K scans look like 4K. Relieved now? Universal saved money.

You mean by hand tools? But automatic DNR is much cheaper and it not only gets rid of print damage it also wipes the film clean! Clean of film grain and clean of fine detail, but dont worry Universal uses EE to 'save' some info.

Well the websites 'job' so to speak is to repeat what the studio/distributors say rather then judge them on their track record.

Rubbish, the Web sites just regurgitate the PR and that is ok?
Ever heard of journalism?
post #102 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rubbish, the Web sites just regurgitate the PR and that is ok?
Ever heard of journalism?

Journalism is dead sadly, not just on home video promoting websites.
post #103 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Journalism is dead sadly, not just on home video promoting websites.

But certain sites claim to be above reproach.
post #104 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But certain sites claim to be above reproach.

Dont all websites claim that?
post #105 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Dont all websites claim that?

Not so much
post #106 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post

Excuse me, but what the **** has the economy got to do with all this ****? These are brand new scans and Universal is paying quite a lot of money for the restorations. The problem is that their restoration and preservation department is full of idiots who like to **** up the films. "Managing film grain" and trying to fix the camera movement on brand new transfers has nothing to do with the economy.

I believe he was not referring the US economy but the practice of economics in general. As in appealing to the lowest common denominator by removing all that pesky grain with the expectation of increasing sales amidst the ignorant masses.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #107 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

I was mainly referrring to them never using DNR or EE, or dodgy or outrageous video-clean-up techniques.

You must be referring to a different Criterion.
post #108 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post

If you re-read my post, you'll notice I said "economics," not THE ECONOMY.

Quote:

I believe he was not referring the US economy but the practice of economics in general. As in appealing to the lowest common denominator by removing all that pesky grain with the expectation of increasing sales amidst the ignorant masses.

Yep, that's it.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #109 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

You must be referring to a different Criterion.

Criterion Never? No. A lot less of it, yeah. A lot of Criterion BDs were scanned at 2K as well, at least according to my booklets.
post #110 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am sure even if the US economy and sales were booming Universal execs would not part with the money going to them as Bonuses just because their DVD masters look crummy.
post #111 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Every studio is using these digital techniques (including DNR) to some degree. It is not a question of the absolute use or non-use of these techniques, but rather a question of how they are used and how the results work.

I have been disgusted by Universal's work on Blu-ray (also HD DVD). Since they have declared a new beginning, we should give them a chance and see what the results are.

Finally, since I have seen a good many of the catalog titles under consideration in original release under good to optimal conditions, and also am fortunate enough to see 35mm archive prints on a regular basis, it is important to consider what the original really looked and sounded like. They were not always perfect.
post #112 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

Every studio is using these digital techniques (including DNR) to some degree.

I keep seeing this repeated but no one ever cites a source. How do you know this is the case?

Quote:

...it is important to consider what the original really looked and sounded like. They were not always perfect.

I haven't seen anyone claim otherwise.
post #113 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I keep seeing this repeated but no one ever cites a source. How do you know this is the case?

I haven't seen anyone claim otherwise.

DNR is used for removing burns and scratches normally, so yes every single studio has used it.
post #114 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

DNR is used for removing burns and scratches normally, so yes every single studio has used it.

I seriously doubt Sony uses DNR to remove scratches and tears or anomolies which effect specific areas of the the frame. "DNR" is a general tool which reduces noise globally.
post #115 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I seriously doubt Sony uses DNR to remove scratches and tears or anomolies which effect specific areas of the the frame. "DNR" is a general tool which reduces noise globally.

Hook has DNR
post #116 of 223 Old 01-22-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Universal has declared a 'new beginning' several times over two years, the pq results are the same, it's called marketing. The onious is on Universal to finally prove it, not on us to blindy accept their bs.
I have been disgusted by Universal's work on Blu-ray (also HD DVD). Since they have declared a new beginning, we should give them a chance and see what the results are.

Universal has declared a 'new beginning' several times over two years, the pq results are the same, it's called marketing. The onious is on Universal to finally prove it, not on us to blindy accept their bs.

Quote:

Finally, since I have seen a good many of the catalog titles under consideration in original release under good to optimal conditions, and also am fortunate enough to see 35mm archive prints on a regular basis, it is important to consider what the original really looked and sounded like. They were not always perfect.

Are you claiming the Mockingbird film actually looks like the BD? I dont want perfect, I want a frigging film not the crappy home video look. Universal trying to make it 'perfect' is the problem.
post #117 of 223 Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I took a real good look at the screen shots from the TKAMB review at DVDBeaver. If you look at the comparison shots from the Universal Legacy DVD you'd be hard pressed to say, on balance, the BD is better. The smoothed over look of the faces is pretty astounding. Not to mention the BD has less image than the DVD.

What really blew my mind is the look of the Hitchcock films at DVDBeaver. The increase in detail in Spellbound and Notorious is pretty slight, but I'll bet the soft look may have been an artistic choice. MGM/FOX left the image alone and didn't try and make it look like HD video.

Universal apparently can't help themselves. I'm crossing my fingers that Mr. Spielberg has the time and the inclination to get directly involved in the mastering of ET and Jaws. Regarding The Birds and Vertigo, be afraid, be very afriad.
post #118 of 223 Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Could someone explain to me why studios still have NOT released many 1080p movies when there are already 4K televisions and consumer projectors?

To be so late as to miss an entire generation of technology!? We're at 4K now, ...and there's no Titanic, E.T., Lawrence of Arabia, Finding Nemo, etc., etc, in 1080p yet!!!!!!!

The studios must really HATE money, because surely they must know that with the approaching hype of 4K, fewer people will buy their late 1080p disks, not more. I don't get it!
post #119 of 223 Old 01-23-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

Could someone explain to me why studios still have NOT released many 1080p movies when there are already 4K televisions and consumer projectors?

To be so late as to miss an entire generation of technology!? We're at 4K now, ...and there's no Titanic, E.T., Lawrence of Arabia, Finding Nemo, etc., etc, in 1080p yet!!!!!!!

The studios must really HATE money, because surely they must know that with the approaching hype of 4K, fewer people will buy their late 1080p disks, not more. I don't get it!

er, what? did you seriously want every movie ever made on day one?
I hear they still release dvd's
post #120 of 223 Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Hook has DNR

You're right, but I dare say that's more to do with not wanting to pay for a new master and the DNR was already there. Bad Boys has some strange stuff going on as well.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page