Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond on Blu-ray - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Member
 
Spiritual_Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

It is easily the best Bond film
OHMSS?

Stop with this madness!
The best film it is not. Not even close.
Dan Hitchman likes this.
Spiritual_Chaos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
denass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Disappointed QUANTUM OF SOLACE is not like all the others in the set.
1-- there is adverts for other movies at the beginning of the disc
2 --there is no intro as all the others have. The into is new to the set except QOS
Why the hell did they not spend a little time making it as all the others and for god sake why the movie previews at the beginning
Someone has been very slack
Are all sets the same
mine is from australia and would like to know if this is the same with other sets in the U.S. and UK
I mean this supposed to be a collection and they do a disc thats not the same as all the others

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
denass is offline  
post #633 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,072
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Chaos View Post

OHMSS?
Stop with this madness!
The best film it is not. Not even close.

I agree with that statement.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #634 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Chaos View Post

OHMSS?
Stop with this madness!
The best film it is not. Not even close.

Its the hardcore choice, follwed by Casino or Licence to kill.
The Layman choice is normally Goldeneye or Goldfinger
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #635 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 22,307
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a good film but IMO it has a special place as the guy who followed Connery and the only Bond actor who only did one.

Art

My HT


iRule rules my theater
 

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

 

Bob Marley

Art Sonneborn is offline  
post #636 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Member
 
batutta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I watched OHMSS last year again and still found it to be a mixed bag. It's one of the few Bond films with something resembling an actual character arc for Bond, and a dark ending, which is why many respond to it more strongly than the others. Also has a great Bond girl in Diana Rigg and I actually think it's one of John Barry's best Bond scores. But the execution of the rest falls short in too many aspects for me. Lazenby is weak, coming to life only in the fight scenes. I never cared for Telly Savalas as Blofeld. The pacing is uneven, stopping too often for romantic montage interludes that don't advance the plot. And it feels about 20 minutes too long. It's a shame though, because with Connery in there, and some tighter editing, it could have been the best. There probably hasn't been a perfect Bond film made but I'd say, at risk of sounding like a layman, that Goldfinger comes closest. But Bond movies are like the pizza of cinema. Even at their worst, they're still pretty good.
batutta is offline  
post #637 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Goldfinger is iconic, but lags in the middle and end for me.
Licence To Kill and Skyfall are second and third for me
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #638 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Member
 
NJPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The hardcore choices for best Bond are
OHMSS
From Russia with Love
Dr. No
Thunderball
Octopussy
For Your Eyes Only

All of the rest, except the first two Craig films (Skyfall doesnt open here for another 10 days) and Die Another Day, are fun to watch in varying degrees. Then you add the 1967 Casino Royale (fun, but a product of its time) and Never Say Never Again (the worst thing to ever be peripherally associated with Bond).

NJPete is offline  
post #639 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Octopussy is miles worse than never say never again.

And die another day not far behind it, odd as its voted highly by the layman fan.

Good ohmss read here, for anyone interested www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4017serv.html
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #640 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,072
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Most of the Brosnan Bonds were pretty weak. He'd be the first to admit it. That's one reason the producers fired him late at night. Brosnan wanted final say on the script because he asked for a good one for a change, and didn't like the direction they were going. The Broccoli and Saltzman clan are notorious control freaks, which can sometimes be a detriment to the series.

I think with Skyfall, they're trying to get back to a more "Bond-like" Bond film... a grand, globe trotting adventure with a really diabolical, over-the-top foe, and with Q Branch and all the nifty gadgets assisting him along the way. Daniel Craig even had wanted Bond to be more than a beefed up thug.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #641 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Member
 
NJPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Octopussy is miles worse than never say never again.ml

Actually, no.

NJPete is offline  
post #642 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Member
 
batutta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Octopussy is miles worse than never say never again.

I think I saw Octopussy like 20 times when I was a kid only because my sister worked at the local theater at the time and got me in for free. Watching it again last week, I was surprised by how bad a lot of it was. Haven't seen Never Say Never Again in a long time but I remember it being very ponderous and slow for a Bond film.
batutta is offline  
post #643 of 686 Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Most of the Brosnan Bonds were pretty weak. He'd be the first to admit it. That's one reason the producers fired him late at night. Brosnan wanted final say on the script because he asked for a good one for a change, and didn't like the direction they were going. The Broccoli and Saltzman clan are notorious control freaks, which can sometimes be a detriment to the series.
I think with Skyfall, they're trying to get back to a more "Bond-like" Bond film... a grand, globe trotting adventure with a really diabolical, over-the-top foe, and with Q Branch and all the nifty gadgets assisting him along the way. Daniel Craig even had wanted Bond to be more than a beefed up thug.

The only decent Brosnan is the one that was not written for him at all.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #644 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 02:29 AM
Member
 
DJ Mike TJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As someone who is only seeing a lot of the old Bond films for the first time with this set, I thought OHMSS was brilliant - really engrossing story and a beautifully shot film. Something about it was just so much more interesting than the Connery films - not that I think those are bad films at all, just that their story felt more functional for the sake of getting to the action rather than action that was organically part of a storyline. Wading through the Moore films at the moment. Looking forward to watching the Dalton films as I haven't seen those either.
DJ Mike TJG is offline  
post #645 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Paul Arnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
From Russia with Love is my favorite, it has Connery, Q, great allies and villains, and a smoking Bond girl. It has gadgets, but not to the point of ridiculousness; and it has a streamlined, semi-realistic plot. It hasn't fallen into the paint-by-numbers approach yet.

I used to think On Her Majesty's Secret Service was my favorite, but no more. Having watch it again, it is SO slow. The outfits that Lazenby had to wear were ridiculous. Diana Rigg is awesome, but, as mentioned earlier, the SPECTRE plot is dumb as hell. And Telly Savalas is a terrible actor in my opinion. Every role that guys played was Telly Savalas instead of the character. Telly Savalas as Blofeld? No thank ya, baby!

That said, On Her Majesty's Secret Service will always remain in the top half of Bond films for me however for having the balls to have the only unhappy ending in the series.
Paul Arnette is offline  
post #646 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,072
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

As someone who is only seeing a lot of the old Bond films for the first time with this set, I thought OHMSS was brilliant - really engrossing story and a beautifully shot film. Something about it was just so much more interesting than the Connery films - not that I think those are bad films at all, just that their story felt more functional for the sake of getting to the action rather than action that was organically part of a storyline. Wading through the Moore films at the moment. Looking forward to watching the Dalton films as I haven't seen those either.

When you get to License to Kill, you should see why this late 80's iteration of Bond was almost a death knell to the series. Wayne Newton as a bad guy??? The beginning was silly as all get out. The surrounding cast was not very good, even though the Bond babes were hot. Dalton looked more ridiculous in the roll than ever, rather than more comfortable. He wasn't all that bad in his debut in The Living Daylights.

Except for a couple of Brosnan duds and some parts of OHMSS and Diamonds are Forever,and a good portion of the Dalton films... I've enjoyed the Bond films immensely over the years. Yes, even A View to a Kill is better than License to Kill.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #647 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
bokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Man With a Golden Gun.
I have only seen it once and I recall it was rough to get through.
But I would give it a second chance.

The World is Not Enough is one I can live without.
Just awful.
bokes is offline  
post #648 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Member
 
espodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Hey all,

 

We're putting together a non-definitive list of AVS' favorite Bond films, and I wanted to get your opinion of which is the best Roger Moore-era film, Blu-ray quality aside.

 

We seem to have narrowed it down to two:

 

Live and Let Die

 

and

 

The Spy Who Loved Me

 

Seeing as none of the Moore films stand up really well these days, which of these two do you prefer?

espodo is offline  
post #649 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Member
 
NJPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by espodo View Post

Hey all,

We're putting together a non-definitive list of AVS' favorite Bond films, and I wanted to get your opinion of which is the best Roger Moore-era film, Blu-ray quality aside.

We seem to have narrowed it down to two:

Live and Let Die

and

The Spy Who Loved Me

Seeing as none of the Moore films stand up really well these days, which of these two do you prefer?

Of those two, Live and Let Die.

But Octopussy and For Your Eyes Only are the best Roger Moore Bonds and certainly belong in the series Top 10.

NJPete is offline  
post #650 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Member
 
espodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Thanks for your input. It's certainly tough to narrow things down. One man's favorite Bond film could be another's least favorite. I've seen so many conflicting opinions on AVS about this: most of the films are spotty enough that people get widely varying things out of them. 

 

I know that many consider Octopussy to be one of the most ridiculous films of the series. 

espodo is offline  
post #651 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by espodo View Post

Thanks for your input. It's certainly tough to narrow things down. One man's favorite Bond film could be another's least favorite. I've seen so many conflicting opinions on AVS about this: most of the films are spotty enough that people get widely varying things out of them. 

I know that many consider Octopussy to be one of the most ridiculous films of the series. 

There really is no wrong or right answer here. Just watch them and pick your own favorites, I think if everyone liked the same thing, well, it would be a boring place.

Whenever I think of Octopussy, I think of Roger Moore dressed as an old, sad clown:




Not his finest moment as 007, and IMHO, one of my least favorite Bond movies...
ack_bk is online now  
post #652 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by espodo View Post

Hey all,

We're putting together a non-definitive list of AVS' favorite Bond films, and I wanted to get your opinion of which is the best Roger Moore-era film, Blu-ray quality aside.

We seem to have narrowed it down to two:

Live and Let Die

and

The Spy Who Loved Me

Seeing as none of the Moore films stand up really well these days, which of these two do you prefer?

For your Eyes Only if I had to pick, out of the two Live and Let Die
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #653 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,223
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by espodo View Post

We're putting together a non-definitive list of AVS' favorite Bond films, and I wanted to get your opinion of which is the best Roger Moore-era film, Blu-ray quality aside.

We seem to have narrowed it down to two:

Live and Let Die

and

The Spy Who Loved Me

This isn't a fair fight at all. The Spy Who Loved Me is a far better movie than the mediocre Live and Let Die. The only things Live and Let Die really has going for it are the great theme song and Yaphet Kotto as the villain.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #654 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,223
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

When you get to License to Kill, you should see why this late 80's iteration of Bond was almost a death knell to the series. Wayne Newton as a bad guy??? The beginning was silly as all get out. The surrounding cast was not very good, even though the Bond babes were hot. Dalton looked more ridiculous in the roll than ever, rather than more comfortable. He wasn't all that bad in his debut in The Living Daylights.
Except for a couple of Brosnan duds and some parts of OHMSS and Diamonds are Forever,and a good portion of the Dalton films... I've enjoyed the Bond films immensely over the years. Yes, even A View to a Kill is better than License to Kill.

I don't get the Licence to Kill hate at all. The movie is by far the best Bond film of the '80s. Really, nothing in your description of it is correct (except that the Bond girls are indeed hot).

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #655 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swanage, Engerland
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
"Bless your heart!"

I love Licence to Kill, absolutely love it. It's Bond being all dark and moody and serious way before Craig got in on the act. Dalton's Bond was ahead of his time, hence the somewhat lukewarm reaction to him both critically and commercially.
Geoff D is offline  
post #656 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

"Bless your heart!"
I love Licence to Kill, absolutely love it. It's Bond being all dark and moody and serious way before Craig got in on the act. Dalton's Bond was ahead of his time, hence the somewhat lukewarm reaction to him both critically and commercially.

I am in the same boat. It was so refreshing after what had become of Bond in some of the Moore movies (Moonraker, and the uber horrible A View To A Kill) to see a mad Bond who acts more like a operative who has a license to kill. I remember seeing this movie in the theater and really enjoying it. That experience has not changed for me over the years, and Carey Lowell seems to fly under the radar for attractive Bond girls.. I still think she is super hot and liked her in this.

ack_bk is online now  
post #657 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

This isn't a fair fight at all. The Spy Who Loved Me is a far better movie than the mediocre Live and Let Die. The only things Live and Let Die really has going for it are the great theme song and Yaphet Kotto as the villain.

And Jane Seymour...
ack_bk is online now  
post #658 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
grubadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

And Jane Seymour...

and sheriff JW Pepper!
grubadub is online now  
post #659 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubaurl= 
and sheriff JW Pepper!


Who was better in golden gun due to THAT stunt.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #660 of 686 Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Terminus and the Lake of Light
Posts: 4,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I used to love The Spy Who Loved Me- came out the year of Star Wars, if memory serves- and I saw it multiple times, but when I saw it recently on the On Demand service of Comcast, I was shocked at how slow it seemed. I guess I ought to see all the Moore Bonds again and revise my ratings. The other two I liked were Live and Let Die and Octopussy.

If opinions here are any indication, there will never ever be a consensus on which films are the best. It seems to hinge on the ones you first saw when you were a teenager.

CW Hinkle
Shaded Dogfood is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off