post #181 of 195 Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Robert Harris has chimed in on this issue at length but no one wants to hear it.

Oh, OK...I wasn't aware of that (thanx for the info).

Swine are good people too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 195 Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have the HD-DVD and now have the new 1-disc BD. If I have time, I'll try to compare the sound using headphones. Hopefully, the phones will help me focus on any minute differences there might be.

Doug
post #183 of 195 Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

OK...I'm confused there is confusion.
All I want to know is (for those who have compared the 2) how much "better" (in your opinion) is the audio over the previous BD.
Yes, I know it is mono...lossless mono vs. lossy mono.

Oink, it sounds good. Probably better than most of theaters that originally showed the film. No slam bang bullets whizzing or explosions behind you, but when Sam plays "As Time Goes By", well, you'll smile.......
post #184 of 195 Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

And let me be the one to tell you if you sat all these experts in a room together not one of them would be able to tell the difference other than just giving a guess - half would be right, half would be wrong. And so it goes.

Yeah, compression codecs for BD are good. It's hard to tell the difference a lot of times. But, if there is space available for a lossless track, why use lossy compression? No one, including you, has given a satisfactory explanation for that one.

Maybe we should go back to DVD sound since compression doesn't matter.
post #185 of 195 Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
In most dialogue sequences the difference is mostly negligible but, during the songs Sam plays and sings and when Ricks whole bar is competing in two difference songs, I do find a more pleasing experience with the lossless track.
post #186 of 195 Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

In most dialogue sequences the difference is mostly negligible but, during the songs Sam plays and sings and when Ricks whole bar is competing in two difference songs, I do find a more pleasing experience with the lossless track.

You make a good point. Your post reminded how good the music filled The Red Shoes sounds on the BD, which is lossless 1.0. The quality of its sound will never be confused with that of a modern musical film, think The Black Swan, but for its age it's remarkable. I hadn't thought of Sam's piano playing and singing, not to mention the band's stirring accompaniment to the crowd at Ricks singing of the Marseilles. Those scenes alone might make an upgrade worthwhile.
post #187 of 195 Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Keep in mind that there's really no such thing as "lossless" when it comes to an analog soundtrack like this. The analog source had to be digitized, and there's always going to be some loss associated with that. The track on the Blu-ray is just giving us a losslessly compressed version of the digitized master.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #188 of 195 Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Keep in mind that there's really no such thing as "lossless" when it comes to an analog soundtrack like this. The analog source had to be digitized, and there's always going to be some loss associated with that. The track on the Blu-ray is just giving us a losslessly compressed version of the digitized master.

Also keep in mind that the image on this disc is not an actual film print. It, too, has been digitized.

Now, you're ready for the future!

I don't feel special...
post #189 of 195 Old 03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

You make a good point. Your post reminded how good the music filled The Red Shoes sounds on the BD, which is lossless 1.0. The quality of its sound will never be confused with that of a modern musical film, think The Black Swan, but for its age it's remarkable. I hadn't thought of Sam's piano playing and singing, not to mention the band's stirring accompaniment to the crowd at Ricks singing of the Marseilles. Those scenes alone might make an upgrade worthwhile.

Having bought and owned multiple versions of Casablanca on VHS, dvd, 2008 BR, and now this one, I have never been disappointed in what I have seen or heard - chronologically the next one always seemed better to me. It will always come down to a matter of price and whether or not one is willing to pay $19.99 (Walmart's single disc) or $49.99 (Amazon with its extra stuff and packaging) and find out if it is better or not to the buyer.
post #190 of 195 Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

While it's true that no copy can be absolutely identical to the original, modern audio digital technology is so good that no one could distinguish the copy from the analog original in a blind comparison.
post #191 of 195 Old 03-30-2012, 12:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post

Oink, it sounds good. Probably better than most of theaters that originally showed the film. No slam bang bullets whizzing or explosions behind you, but when Sam plays "As Time Goes By", well, you'll smile.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

Great...thanx for that.

Swine are good people too.
post #192 of 195 Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I found the single disc at Target yesterday for $14.99. I agree with Mr. Harris, the original BD was pretty good and on a 55" screen, or less, the upgrade may not be worth it. On my 92" FP the new disc is far less filtered and looks like film. WB did a great job. If only Notorious looked this good.
post #193 of 195 Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 PM

Liked: 50
post #194 of 195 Old 02-18-2014, 10:55 AM

Liked: 14
Is there any diferance in the quality of the DVD from (Casablanca - 70th Anniversary Ultimate Edition 3disc set) release date 3/27/2012 and (CASABLANCA: 70TH ANNIVERSARY / (ANIV RMST) (Anniversary Edition)) release date 5/01/2012
There is a cost differance of $40.00 between the two.
I asume that the two discs are the same, the only differance is that the Ultimate edition gives you two more bonus discs. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance
Bruce

post #195 of 195 Old 02-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The movie is identical A/V wise on the 70th Anniversary editions, the only difference being extras/swag/packaging.
ZOOM ZOOM likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page