Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 195 Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
...March 27th!!!!

"One of cinema's most beloved films, Casablanca won three Academy Awards - Best Original Screenplay: Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein, & Howard Koch; Best Director: Michael Curtiz; and Best Picture - after its release in 1942 and was more recently honored with the American Film's Institute's distinction as the second greatest American film ever made.

Warner's new 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition presents an all-new 4K restoration of Casablanca. The exact technical specifications are still unknown for this three-disc set, but the package contains a number of bonus supplements, many of which were not available on Warner's previous Casablanca Ultimate Collector's Edition."

I already have it but I guess this is double-dip time once again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 195 Old 01-18-2012, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Will wait for shots
post #3 of 195 Old 01-18-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Will wait for shots

No doubt. In the meantime, a certain P.T. Barnum quote is coming to mind.
post #4 of 195 Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
All new 4K scans? I hope WB is not talking about the same Lowry done BD transfer.
post #5 of 195 Old 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

All new 4K scans? I hope WB is not talking about the same Lowry done BD transfer.

That was early wb hddvd tiny encode was it not?
post #6 of 195 Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

That was early wb hddvd tiny encode was it not?

Yes, which came from the DVD master that was made more than 10 years ago. Pretty stunning at the time, for a DVD. It's time for a modern scan.

I suspect if they do this right there will be some complaints saying it doesn't "look as good" as the first BD.
post #7 of 195 Old 01-18-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I wonder if it will be Target, Best Buy, or Wal Mart that sells this in a normal case.
I hope it's not Best Buy, they have become an oppressive environment to buy stuff in...

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #8 of 195 Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

I wonder if it will be Target, Best Buy, or Wal Mart that sells this in a normal case.
I hope it's not Best Buy, they have become an oppressive environment to buy stuff in...

If it's anything like some other special edition box sets, the single disc version will be available on Amazon UK for under $20 shipped. I'll wait for Xylon. :-)
post #9 of 195 Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Wasn't that 2K?
post #10 of 195 Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 AM

Yes, Casablanca was one of the firsts HD restorations by Lowry Digital.
This new 4k restoration is development by Warner MPI (like Citizen Kane)
post #11 of 195 Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 AM

I guess a double dip is in the future then. The old BD release was okay but not stellar, given the reduced grain and digitally soft look. An improvement is more than welcome.

This fine wine is really good - it tastes like it was bottled yesterday!
post #12 of 195 Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'll wait for the screenshots. I'm alright with my current disc but one with more detail and less filtering could possibly pick up some of my cash.
post #13 of 195 Old 01-19-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAwesome View Post

Wasn't that 2K?

I suspect so, which is why I hope that's not what's going to be used being rather old.
post #14 of 195 Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

I'll wait for the screenshots. I'm alright with my current disc but one with more detail and less filtering could possibly pick up some of my cash.

Agreed, about $15 worth.
post #15 of 195 Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Agreed. I feel like a moo-cow going through a chute in that place
post #16 of 195 Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

Agreed, about $15 worth.

Sounds about right.
post #17 of 195 Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Amazon US has a pre-order up for this...I never did get this film on BD, come to think of it...

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #18 of 195 Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Wizard of Oz was a high res transfer and unfiltered, let's hope we get the same here.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #19 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
From the New York Post:

Quote:

I got a first look at a new digital restoration of "Casablanca'' Friday night, and wow! I've seen one my favorite movies projected on the big screen maybe a dozen times since the 1960s, and I don't recall it ever looking anywhere near as stunning as the images shown as the inaugural presentation at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.

There have been at least two previous "Casablanca'' restorations -- for the 50th and 60th anniversaries -- but Warners' $1 million restoration for the Oscar winning's film's 70th (it premiered on Nov. 26, 1942 in NYC) is truly spectacular, even better than the most recent one which was quite good. What struck me most was the dark, deep, gorgeous shadows -- the restorers have honored the original intentions of director Michael Curtiz and photographer Arthur Edeson (which producer Hal Wallis complained about in memos). For decades, these scenes were lightened for TV and theatrical showings, but now they're showcased in their full noir glory.

Particularly striking is the darkness in Bogie's "of all the gin joints'' scene. As with several digital restorations I've seen, you can notice details you were scarcely aware of before, like the beading on Yvonne's dress or the intricate production design of Rick's Cafe. Though the film's lovely grain structure does not appear to have been digitally manipulated -- the way Universal did for some scenes in "To Kill A Mockingbird'' -- you can more clearly discern the model and optical effects, especially in the scenes involving model aircraft.

It's now also very clear that Humphrey Bogart is wearing makeup to cover the never-more-prominent bags under his eyes in the flashback montage set in Paris.

During Sunday night's presentation, it seemed to me that the film was presented with a very light sepia wash, not unusual for old 35mm film prints. I don't know if this was built into the transfer -- and will be reflected in the March 27 Blu-ray release -- or whether it came from the new state-of-the-art projections system at the newly renamed Warner Bros. Theater, which the studio endowed for $5 million. As in Paramount's new restoration of "Wings,'' tinting helps make details pop out.

The museum will be presenting a series of Warner Bros. film festivals running through 2014, beginning with "The Maltese Falcon'' and "The Treasure of Sierra Madre'' on Saturday and "The Big Sleep'' on Sunday. At least one non-Warner film controlled by the studio -- "Singin' in the Rain,'' also an anniversary restoration, that will premiere at the TCM Classic Film Festival in April -- will be shown at the Smithsonian in July.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies...MIQzZf1R9IhlBM

post #20 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 AM

$45?!? And $65 list!!

It's got some nice extras: a dvd with featurettes and an art booklet. It includes 4 cup coasters?!? Even with the collectible items, that is quite the asking price, classic or no.

I know the Stones are engaging in this type of marketing as well, but the collectibles aspect is just silly to me. Perhaps if you are re-selling if the price goes up, it might make sense.
post #21 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I suspect so, which is why I hope that's not what's going to be used being rather old.

Warner now has their own facilities for doing what Lowry did, so you will never ever see anything from them re-released on Blu-Ray that was ever worked on by Lowry as they are going 4K all the way with their re-master/restoration work.
post #22 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

$45?!? And $65 list!!

It's got some nice extras: a dvd with featurettes and an art booklet. It includes 4 cup coasters?!? Even with the collectible items, that is quite the asking price, classic or no.

I know the Stones are engaging in this type of marketing as well, but the collectibles aspect is just silly to me. Perhaps if you are re-selling if the price goes up, it might make sense.

same prices we saw with the wizard of oz and gone with the wind in the big box of stuff editions

IIRC the old ultimate edition of Casablanca on bluray was also at this same price... the extras were nicer though IMO... i mean seriously, coasters?

i'll probably buy some version of this release... since i've paid less than nothing for the previous bluray (got the HD DVD in one of the 5 free movies deals, sent in the label for the red2blu deal, they ran out of ultimate editions and sent everyone free single disc blurays, i sold my HD DVD)
post #23 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Warner now has their own facilities for doing what Lowry did, so you will never ever see anything from them re-released on Blu-Ray that was ever worked on by Lowry as they are going 4K all the way with their re-master/restoration work.

Maybe they'll finally give The Fugitive a proper release then? I remember getting that on HD-DVD and then the Blu-ray and could barely tell the difference from my DVD... That's the film that started me down this path of reading reviews and reviewing screenshots and video clips before buying anything.

I bought the first Casablanca Blu-ray release last year when it dipped down to $15 or something like that... While I hope they do the best possible restoration for this 70th Anniversary I selfishly hope it's not SO good that I have to double-dip. Maybe they'll offer an upgrade?
post #24 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Maybe they'll finally give The Fugitive a proper release then? I remember getting that on HD-DVD and then the Blu-ray and could barely tell the difference from my DVD... That's the film that started me down this path of reading reviews and reviewing screenshots and video clips before buying anything.

I bought the first Casablanca Blu-ray release last year when it dipped down to $15 or something like that... While I hope they do the best possible restoration for this 70th Anniversary I selfishly hope it's not SO good that I have to double-dip. Maybe they'll offer an upgrade?

The Fugitive begs for a proper release. It gets down on it's hands and knees and screams for a Blu-Ray that is sourced from a proper 4K transfer with a Dolby TrueHD audio track. I don't think we'll get one in our immediate future though. Perhaps for the future 4K home release of it, we will see a new 4K master from WB, but nothing for Blu-Ray most likely. AFAIK, Warner is focused solely on using their resources on classic catalog titles, so that's what we will be getting from them for the time being.
post #25 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Warner is focused solely on using their resources on classic catalog titles, so that's what we will be getting from them for the time being.

If getting quality classics is the price I must pay, then I'll suffer through it.
post #26 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
It's now also very clear that Humphrey Bogart is wearing makeup to cover the never-more-prominent bags under his eyes in the flashback montage set in Paris.

Sometimes increased clarity and detail is too much of a good thing - e.g., Blu-Rays which show obvious make-up (like the above) or make CGI backgrounds or inserts look more fake. It's too bad they don't take the time to digitally blend or touch up these things (with something like a Photoshop Healing Tool?) wherever possible before BD release. They should project the digital final product on a 120" screen for careful review by a sharp-eyed crew to catch these things before sending it to the BD factory (or however they do it). Or maybe that's cost prohibitive or not considered important.
post #27 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Sometimes increased clarity and detail is too much of a good thing - e.g., Blu-Rays which show obvious make-up (like the above) or make CGI backgrounds or inserts look more fake. It's too bad they don't take the time to digitally blend or touch up these things (with something like a Photoshop Healing Tool?) wherever possible before BD release. They should project the digital final product on a 120" screen for careful review by a sharp-eyed crew to catch these things before sending it to the BD factory (or however they do it). Or maybe that's cost prohibitive or not considered important.

*grabs some popcorn*

You assume that these things were not present or noticed when the films were shown in native 35MM on screens much more massive than current home theater screens or televisions. They should leave all these things in and leave them alone. If it was good enough for the cast, crew, director, and studio heads back in 1942 and good enough to walk home with three Oscars, who are we to judge?
post #28 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Come on, big retailer- pick up that juicy exclusive on a non-trinket set and point me at your store!

I don't feel special...
post #29 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Come on, big retailer- pick up that juicy exclusive on a non-trinket set and point me at your store!

Me too!

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #30 of 195 Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

You assume that these things were not present or noticed when the films were shown in native 35MM on screens much more massive than current home theater screens or televisions. They should leave all these things in and leave them alone. If it was good enough for the cast, crew, director, and studio heads back in 1942 and good enough to walk home with three Oscars, who are we to judge?

+1. Seriously.

I'm not crazy!  My mother had me tested...

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page