Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Lol, no.

I just figured that since Fincher likes to play jokes on people, that he'd do it over a whole film in a very subtle manner.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 03-31-2012, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Like you're doing, in this very thread, in a not-so-subtle manner?
post #63 of 67 Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 PM

Liked: 10
Oh I must say my audio punched quite nicely right after, "Can I kill him?!" Awesome! And visually, I loved how Lizbeth handled [his] handgun
post #64 of 67 Old 04-01-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Lol, no.

I just figured that since Fincher likes to play jokes on people, that he'd do it over a whole film in a very subtle manner.

post #65 of 67 Old 04-01-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 324
While I'm usually not a Fincher-head, I really enjoyed "The Social Network." Part of it was the fact that the dark, sinister Fincher style played really nicely with the taut, dialog heavy, and subtley disturbing Aaron Sorkin script.

TGWTDT, not so much. The two storylines did not play well together and seemed to be from two different movies with two different styles. The Daniel Craig journalism scandal subplot seemed to be tacked on as James Bond-like bookends (ala the ode to Maurice Binder's famous 007 opening credits that have Saul Bass influences) and didn't flow with the mystery surrounding the crazy, rich family.

Even with the twists and turns, I could easily pick out who done it and then it became quite contrived with a few dashes of deus ex machina thrown in to get the protagonist out of his jam.

I never read the books, so I'm not sure how well Stieg Larsson blended these two story elements together or whether he, like Dan Brown, was more hype than substance.

Like Alfred Hitchcock and Tim Burton, Fincher needs a good script to work from since they're all more visual conceptualists than great story tellers (though, Hitchcock did have a flair for the latter as well). Steven Zaillian's for-hire script work is usually hit-n-miss (similiar to David Koepp) and that's probably why Sorkin was brought in for re-writes on "Moneyball." Maybe they needed a better adapter of the novels.

As for the picture quality on the Blu-ray... I wonder if Sony didn't intentionally do a less than absolutely stellar 1080p downconvert from the 4k IP knowing full well that TGWTDT will be one of the first true 4k titles on the new 4k medium coming possibly late next year. A studio would never do something that underhanded to make the next new format look that much better to consumers, now would it?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #66 of 67 Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 PM

Liked: 10
Had not read the book but we enjoyed it a few nights ago. Not sure I will own it but I feel the same with Hunger Games...good rental but not sure I would care to watch it again. I have read the Hunger Game books.
post #67 of 67 Old 04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
ok, i guess i was right about redbox and their purported bd copies of this movie.

if you call their help line, the first questions they ask now is "if your having
problems with your copy of tgwtdt, press 1"

seems like their buying their brs from the chinese counterfeit market.

neflixis our nemesis
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page