post #361 of 1202 Old 07-05-2012, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

This frankly is quite aggravating...
Where the hell has this box set been for the last 6+ years…?
Blu Ray has been available since June of 2006.
Now they've decided to release it on Blu Ray and we're all spinning on our eyebrows with anticipation.
If I had it my way, nobody would buy the damned set, just to send em a message.
Just so you know... Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite movie of all time.
When I finished building my dedicated home theater, the first movie I watched was Raiders.
I'm just frustrated that it took this long. Just ridiculous if you ask me...!

Actually Indiana Jones and Star wars have an history of being released late on new format, I recall they came out extremely late on DVD. From memory DVD came around 1999-2000 and both were not released before 2003-2004, don’t quote me on that, I just recall being pissed about it when seeing some Star Wars re-release of the VHS and some exotic Laser Disc while the DVD format was already available.

I remember an interview from George Lucas where he was talking about holding back the DVD release because he thought that there not enough adopters which drove the fans insane and Lucas Art actually had to issue a statement that the delay wasn’t motivated to drive up demand or to force people to purchase multiple copies, which of course everybody did, I (and many other I’m sure) stopped counting how many times I bought a Star Wars box set.

I think the reason those movies are released so late is purely to maximize profits but that’s how the movie industry works or at least that’s how it works now, nevertheless I’m excited about the blurays coming out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1202 Old 07-05-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Didn't I read somewhere that there was a delay in releasing these films because Spielberg was unhappy with the original scans or the rendering from those scans? There is some vague familiarity of this and the fact that because of the quality of these scans they started the whole process over. Ring familiar with anyone else?
post #363 of 1202 Old 07-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Didn't I read somewhere that there was a delay in releasing these films because Spielberg was unhappy with the original scans or the rendering from those scans? There is some vague familiarity of this and the fact that because of the quality of these scans they started the whole process over. Ring familiar with anyone else?

link previous page, the lowry ones were rightfully scrapped
post #364 of 1202 Old 07-05-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

link previous page, the lowry ones were rightfully scrapped

sometimes Mike, I'm not sure what language you are speaking, or writing eek.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #365 of 1202 Old 07-05-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cR4p View Post

I remember an interview from George Lucas where he was talking about holding back the DVD release because he thought that there not enough adopters which drove the fans insane and Lucas Art actually had to issue a statement that the delay wasn’t motivated to drive up demand or to force people to purchase multiple copies, which of course everybody did, I (and many other I’m sure) stopped counting how many times I bought a Star Wars box set.

You can't count to 2? confused.gif

Star Wars (OT) was issued twice on DVD. The first set with bonus disc. Then they were available separately with the non-SE (non anamorphic) versions on a second disc.

The prequels were never double dipped (collections don't count, still the same discs).

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #366 of 1202 Old 07-05-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Star Wars (OT) was issued twice on DVD. The first set with bonus disc. Then they were available separately with the non-SE (non anamorphic) versions on a second disc.
The prequels were never double dipped (collections don't count, still the same discs).

My guess, he was thinking Laser Disc and VHS as well, but I could be wrong...
post #367 of 1202 Old 07-05-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

sometimes Mike, I'm not sure what language you are speaking, or writing eek.gif
On the previous page there is a internet hyperlink, linking you to a page on this internet forum with images of both the old Lowry transfers and the new Laserpacific transfers.
This illustrates in visual form why the LP transfers are leagues above the Lowry ones with their CGI additions, frozen grain and general poor quality, this is why they were not used and new transfers were made.
post #368 of 1202 Old 07-06-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

yes... I can count to 2...

I was referring to releases on any format... sorry for the off-topic
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
VHS:
1982: - 1st ANH Release (Red Hi-Fi Corner) (P/S)
- ANH (CBS "Drawer" Case) (P/S)

1983: - 1st The Making of Star Wars (CBS "Drawer" Case) (P/S)
- 1st SP/FX: The Empire Strikes Back (CBS "Drawer" Case) (P/S)
- 1st Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (P/S)

1984: - 1st ESB Release (Red Hi-Fi Corner) (P/S)

1986: - 1st ROTJ Release (Red Hi-Fi Corner) (P/S)
- ANH Re-release #1 (Red Hi-Fi Corner) (P/S)
- ESB Re-release #1 (Red Hi-Fi Corner) (P/S)

1987-1989?: - ANH Re-release #2 (Red Hi-Fi Corner) (P/S)
- ESB Re-release #2 (Red Hi-Fi Corner) (P/S)
- ROTJ Re-release #1 (Red Hi-Fi Corner) (P/S)

1989: - 1st From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga Release (P/S)

1990: - 1st Original Trilogy Box Set Release (fold out box with slipcover) (P/S)

1992: - "Collector's Edition" Original Trilogy Box Set (Holographic image on box, Bonus cassette: From Star Wars to Jedi...) (LB)
- Original Trilogy Box Set Re-release (same box & artwork as 1990 release, tape labels and trailers differ) (P/S)

1995: - THX "Faces" Original Trilogy Box Set (P/S)
- THX "Faces" Original Trilogy Widescreen Box Set (LB)
- Star Wars Trilogy: The Definitive Collection (Superclass: Imperial Star Destroyer Box Set) (LB)
- From Star Wars to Jedi... Re-release (P/S)
- The Making of Star Wars Re-release (P/S)

1997: - 1st "Special Edition" Trilogy Box Set Release (Gold Box = P/S , Silver Box = LB )
- "Special Edition" Trilogy Collector's Set (Bonus cassette, "Star Wars" paperweight, lithographs & more...) (LB)

2000: - 1st TPM Release (P/S)
- TPM Widescreen Video Collector's Edition (Artbook excerpt, 5 consecutive 35mm frames from a theatrical print) (LB)
- "Special Edition" Trilogy Box Set Re-release (Partially transparent slipcover) (P/S & LB)

2002: - 1st AOTC Release (P/S)

2005: - 1st ROTS Release (P/S)

CED:
1982: - 1st ANH Release (P/S)

1983: - The Making of Star Wars & SP/FX: The Empire Strikes Back (Both featurettes were included on the same disc) (P/S)

1984: - 1st ESB Release (P/S)

1986: - 1st ROTJ Release (Parts 1 & 2) (P/S)

Laserdisc:
1982: - 1st ANH Release (CLV) (P/S)

1984: - 1st ESB Release (CLV) (P/S)

1985: - ANH Re-release (CAV) (P/S)
- ESB Re-release (CAV) (P/S)

1986: - 1st ROTJ Release (CLV) (P/S)

1989: - ANH Re-release (CLV) (The LB release was matted incorrectly, omitting a small amount of the video along the top of the screen) (P/S & LB)
- ESB Re-release (CLV) (P/S & LB)

1990: - ROTJ Re-release (CLV) (The LB release had a thicker bottom bar, as the Japanese master was used, which left room for the Japanese subtitles) (P/S & LB)

1992: - ANH Re-release (CLV) (Corrected the matting problem from the 1989 LB release) (LB)

1993: - "Definitive Collection" Box Set* (CAV) (George Lucas' autobiography, booklet listing chapters for all three films) (LB)
* - First pressings of this set omitted about 10 seconds near the beginning of ESB. The boxes for subsequent pressings were constructed much better than first pressings.

1995: - THX "Faces" Original Trilogy (CLV) (As far as I know, these were only availible individually, not in a box set) (P/S & LB)

1997: - 1st "Special Edition" Trilogy Box Set (CLV) (LB)

DVD:
2001: - 1st TPM Release (2-Disc Set) (P/S & WS )

2002: - 1st AOTC Release (2-Disc Set) (P/S & WS )

2004: - 1st "Special Edition" Trilogy Box Set (Bonus disc included Empire of Dreams documentary) (Gold Box = P/S , Silver Box = WS )

2005: - 1st ROTS Release (2-Disc Set) (P/S & WS )
- "Special Edition" Trilogy Box Set Re-release (same as the 2004 set, but without the Bonus Disc) (P/S & WS)

2006: - ANH Re-release (with theatrical bonus disc) (P/S & WS)
- ESB Re-release (with theatrical bonus disc) (P/S & WS)
- ROTJ Re-release (with theatrical bonus disc) (P/S & WS )

2008: - 1st Prequel Trilogy Box Set Release (Collects previous releases of TPM, AOTC & ROTS) (P/S & WS)
- "Special Edition" Trilogy Re-release (Collects the 2006 releases of ANH, ESB & ROTJ, does not contain 2004 bonus disc) (P/S & WS)

Blu-ray:
2011: - 1st Prequel Trilogy Box Set (WS)
- 1st Original Trilogy Box Set (WS)
- "The Complete Saga" Box Set (Three bonus discs)
post #369 of 1202 Old 07-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 915
^^^^^^^^^^

Forgot the Japanese TPM laserdisc tongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #370 of 1202 Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

On the previous page there is a internet hyperlink, linking you to a page on this internet forum with images of both the old Lowry transfers and the new Laserpacific transfers.
This illustrates in visual form why the LP transfers are leagues above the Lowry ones with their CGI additions, frozen grain and general poor quality, this is why they were not used and new transfers were made.

And again, just to expand upon that, those LaserPacific screenshots dvdmike007 mentions come from 4K/2K scans done in late 2008, destined for a 4th quarter 2009 release that was scrapped... the Raiders that'll be on the Blu-ray set is an even newer and higher-quality 6K/4K scan from early 2011. So Raiders will look even better than what you see in the screenshots.
post #371 of 1202 Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:

yes... I can count to 2...

Well, you were talking about the DVD and then immediately mentioned the box set purchases.

On topic: Indiana Jones has only been issued on DVD twice as well, except the second time it was a new encode with different supplements.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #372 of 1202 Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Liked: 12
cR4p, that's a very comprehensive list, but I feel the need to point out that ROTS was never released on vhs (at least not here in the States). With the HD-on-disc formats literally months away when ROTS was released on video in November of '05, LFL and Fox probably saw a vhs release as redundant.* I still remember getting it a day early (Halloween of '05) at the mom and pops store in my local college town and being floored by the picture quality on my computer monitor.

*of course, LFL apparently wasn't above putting laserdisc transfers from 1993 on dvd in 2006.
post #373 of 1202 Old 07-07-2012, 02:08 PM

Liked: 11
Just saw the new comic-con trailer for the blu-ray's on youtube. The Box art and inside of the blu-ray box set is nice but no artwork on the discs again not good at all. Looking forward to the blu-ray release of the indiana jones films regardless if their is no art work for the discs or not. Because it's not about the cover art it's about the films and the content on the discs.
post #374 of 1202 Old 07-07-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
No disc art = normal service for Paramount. As for the comic con trailer, the reflection of the snake in Raiders didn't seem to be there on the brief shot in the trailer.
post #375 of 1202 Old 07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

All of these big releases take years. It took six years for Indy to hit DVD and now the same for Blu. The sales theory is, you wait until the format base has matured before releasing the big titles to maximize sales; do it before then and sales will not be as good. Happens to most big movies.
I am glad they waited this long because if this were released in 2006 as you wished, it would likely not be as good from a PQ standpoint as encoding and mastering techniques have improved.

This may be your philosophy, but I don't personally believe it.
I believe the studio's are selling on the theory that people want what they can't have.
Thus they believe sales will be stronger by making us wait, want and wish...
Personally, I can't help but think about all the money they COULD be STILL making if these titles were released closer to the inception of Blu Ray.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #376 of 1202 Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the reason those movies are released so late is purely to maximize profits but that’s how the movie industry works or at least that’s how it works now, nevertheless I’m excited about the blurays coming out!

There you go...
I don't mind when a company makes a profit, (GASP...!) but I just don't believe movie studios understand how to make a profit. biggrin.gif
How are they going to make profits off a movie franchise when it’s not available in a particular market to be sold?

post #377 of 1202 Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:

There you go...
I don't mind when a company makes a profit, (GASP...!) but I just don't believe movie studios understand how to make a profit. biggrin.gif
How are they going to make profits off a movie franchise when it’s not available in a particular market to be sold?

Well the logic is pretty straight forward, people don’t buy Blu-ray discs unless they own a Blu-ray player so the movie companies wait until the market is large enough to maximize their sales.
post #378 of 1202 Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

This may be your philosophy, but I don't personally believe it.
I believe the studio's are selling on the theory that people want what they can't have.
Thus they believe sales will be stronger by making us wait, want and wish...
Personally, I can't help but think about all the money they COULD be STILL making if these titles were released closer to the inception of Blu Ray.

If you had actually spoken with people in the industry, they would tell you that you don't release all of your "big guns" right off the bat of a new format when there is such a small user base. Of course, you will make some money doing so - but not nearly as much as when the user base is exponentially larger. Any given title sells the most when it's first released - you get ONE chance to do this and don't want to blow it. This is just pure common sense really.

The notion of the studios trying to just taunt and punish fans by refusing to release a title right away is just fanboy nonsense.

post #379 of 1202 Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the logic is pretty straight forward, people don’t buy Blu-ray discs unless they own a Blu-ray player so the movie companies wait until the market is large enough to maximize their sales.
So why dont people buy the players...? Maybe because early on there was no media like Indiana Jones... True lies... Star wars... Etc... In fact in the infant stages of blu ray and hd DVD they had to push the formats by building hardware that did a great job at sd dvd upcoversion (toshiba xa 2). So at least part of this lies with the arrogant studios.

post #380 of 1202 Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

If you had actually spoken with people in the industry, they would tell you that you don't release all of your "big guns" right off the bat of a new format when there is such a small user base. Of course, you will make some money doing so - but not nearly as much as when the user base is exponentially larger. Any given title sells the most when it's first released - you get ONE chance to do this and don't want to blow it. This is just pure common sense really.
The notion of the studios trying to just taunt and punish fans by refusing to release a title right away is just fanboy nonsense.

And any smart business person will tell you that much of the hold up after hd DVD failed was lack of hot titles. And to say that studios only have one shot at releasing a title is ludicrous. How many times do studios shamelessly double dip on titles...

post #381 of 1202 Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

And any smart business person will tell you that much of the hold up after hd DVD failed was lack of hot titles. And to say that studios only have one shot at releasing a title is ludicrous. How many times do studios shamelessly double dip on titles...

What happened after HD DVD failed is irrelevant to the heart of the matter for several reasons. Look back to DVD. Look back to VHS. Most of those big titles were not released until years after the format was released. Any smart business person knows you don't release those titles when you only have thousands (or whatever number) users which is why it does not happen. Also, a re-release is not anything near the same for when it's released for the very first time and the sales pale in comparison. There's no one in the industry that agrees with you or abides by what you are saying...that is a FACT, but believe your fanboy nonsense if you want.

post #382 of 1202 Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 120
The failure of HD DVD is not without its relevance as studios weren't necessarily willing to go all in on one format or the other, which ultimately slowed everything down. Having said that, if a franchise such as Raiders had been released on one of the formats day one then I believe that would have either aided in the longevity if not success of HD DVD or accelerated the success of Bluray. This isn't to say Raiders alone would have accomplished this but certainly would have started a domino effect. But when you have this strong of a hand, so to speak, you're not gonna play your hand. You'll play the field. By this I mean, a particular format is going to have to carve out a piece of the pie with licensing fees and exclusives. And the fact here is that a format, Bluray for example, might have to wait until sales reach a certain point before being in a cash position to afford such rights that, say Spielberg or Lucas might be asking. And on the back end of all of that is these guys are going to make a mint upon release regardless but to maximize this they'll either wait until there are limited competing releases or they're using it as a means to finance other projects.....or private islands.
post #383 of 1202 Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
INDIANA JONES COMIC-CON BLU-RAY TRAILER --can be bumped up to 720p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ve7gZX46DsY

post #384 of 1202 Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 89
what's the difference between a full restoration and digitally remastered?

I know full is best but anyone know the technical details?...is full being done at 4K while a remaster is not?...why couldn't they go all out and do a full restore of Temple of Doom and Last Crusade as well?...too expensive?
post #385 of 1202 Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

what's the difference between a full restoration and digitally remastered?
I know full is best but anyone know the technical details?...is full being done at 4K while a remaster is not?...why couldn't they go all out and do a full restore of Temple of Doom and Last Crusade as well?...too expensive?
Those terms, as used by studio marketing and AV forum people, are very vague and have no specific meaning.

A full restoration, to me at least, would imply that the materials are not in great condition and any damage/color fading/etc have been corrected and the resulting image is as good as it can reasonably be. But studios will call movies "restored" even if no restoration was needed or performed, and "digitally remastered" if all they did was slap some more filtering on a video master they already have.
post #386 of 1202 Old 07-11-2012, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Absotruthly. A lot of these marketing terms - sizzle*, if you will - are interchangeable with regards to what the studio has actually done to the film. With regard to JAws, what Universal call a 'restoration' is a fairly common scan/repair/clean up/film out job, something that other studios have been doing as a matter of course for years, with little to no accompanying fanfare.

Heck, Dreamworks/Paramount sprung for new 4K scans for Minority Report and Saving Private Ryan, just like Raiders, yet would people consider those titles to have been "fully restored", as claimed by the Indy marketing spiel? Of course not.

Bandying these techniques about like they've discovered the Holy Grail (pun not intended) only serves to devalue the meaning of a true restoration, i.e. something where the neg has badly faded, or is literally falling apart at the seams (like The Godfather).

* 'sizzle' © RAH
post #387 of 1202 Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Those terms, as used by studio marketing and AV forum people, are very vague and have no specific meaning.

Kinda like the thread title saying trilogy when it really isnt. smile.gif

post #388 of 1202 Old 07-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
From the Bits...

FYI, we've also just learned from our industry sources that there will be NO U.S. retail exclusive versions of Paramount and Lucasfilm's Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures Blu-ray box set, due on 9/18. Target will be offering an exclusive lithograph with the purchase of the set but that's it - no special packaging, bonus discs, etc. However, we do hear that there may be limited edition "Ark of the Covenant" packaging from some international retailers. Just FYI.

I wonder then is the UK's Limited Edition gonna be the "Ark" ?
post #389 of 1202 Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

From the Bits...
FYI, we've also just learned from our industry sources that there will be NO U.S. retail exclusive versions of Paramount and Lucasfilm's Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures Blu-ray box set, due on 9/18. Target will be offering an exclusive lithograph with the purchase of the set but that's it - no special packaging, bonus discs, etc. However, we do hear that there may be limited edition "Ark of the Covenant" packaging from some international retailers. Just FYI.
I wonder then is the UK's Limited Edition gonna be the "Ark" ?

We knew this already. It's UK or bust.
post #390 of 1202 Old 07-11-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

A full restoration, to me at least, would imply that the materials are not in great condition and any damage/color fading/etc have been corrected and the resulting image is as good as it can reasonably be. But studios will call movies "restored" even if no restoration was needed or performed, and "digitally remastered" if all they did was slap some more filtering on a video master they already have.

Like universal did with jurassic park trilogy.

home theater addict
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page