post #452 of 1202 Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

When the 4K DCP started screening last year we heard about how the film looked a bit more yellow or golden overall compared to previous releases. If the new IMAX trailer's colors are accurate, then this certainly seems to be the case (note that these comparisons are for color differences only -- NOT resolution or anything else):
raidersimaxtrailer25.th.jpg raidershdtv25.th.jpg
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/140690
I have screenshot comparisons for every shot in the trailer, so if anyone wants to see a particular one, just let me know.

So they're not using the source from these?- http://www.avsforum.com/t/827529/blu-ray-hd-dvd-hd-broadcasts-h-264-mpeg-2-screenshots-big-files/2100#post_18556256

home theater addict
post #453 of 1202 Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Only DOOM and CRUSADE are. RAIDERS is a new 4K scan of the neg... with new color grading it would appear. Which is strange, because it would have been carried out by the same guy at LaserPacific, Lou Levinson.
post #454 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Then when 4k media starts showing up, they'll have to restore Doom and Crusade and create a 4k master for them. The studios just don't work smart.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #455 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:

Only DOOM and CRUSADE are. RAIDERS is a new 4K scan of the neg... with new color grading it would appear. Which is strange, because it would have been carried out by the same guy at LaserPacific, Lou Levinson.

They ruined Raiders look by changing it, why bother? the last set were near perfection
post #456 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

They ruined Raiders look by changing it, why bother? the last set were near perfection

Huh? How do you already know that RAIDERS is "ruined"? All I've seen so far is the highly compressed trailer for the set. This whole "rush to judgment" is bad enough with bonafide screen grabs... but from a trailer?
post #457 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 AM

I don't I am basing it on what we have seen how could I base it on anything else?
post #458 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
All I see is two screenshots with no indication of which one is which. I know which one I prefer, but which one is the Blu-ray? Did they ruin it? Or did they fix it?

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #459 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Left is BD transfer, right is old LP transfer.
Left is more in line with the colour in Skull, right is how Raiders always looked
post #460 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Left is more in line with the colour in Skull, right is how Raiders always looked

if you ever saw the version sky used im 100% that will be the BD it has all the print damage removed and when they first screened it the press release stated that they were all new transfers exclusive to sky as paramount had an agreement to show their HD classics even going as far as saying some not even released on blu ray!
it would be unlikely that they did another scan? they may have colour corrected it again though
sky version has the blue line and the smudge erased and the original truck fall reinstated
whatever version im going go nuts for it! unless indy says NOOOOOOO! lol (btw i was the poor guy that unleashed that bombshell to the masses frown.gif )

Please Visit My 11.2 3D Home Cinema Shed http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?SHARESHED=2744 as featured in home cinema choice magazine! Check out my blu-ray THX WOW! demo disc here
post #461 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Then when 4k media starts showing up, they'll have to restore Doom and Crusade and create a 4k master for them. The studios just don't work smart.

No, they also did new scans for Doom and Crusade. Click the thread link in saprano's post.
post #462 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Fairly certain that Doom and Crusade will be transfers of the 2K masters made a few years ago for the BR.

Looking forwarding to watching Raiders on the big screen, hopefully it does not exhibit any nasty DMR artifacts nor an over baked soundtrack.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #463 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

No point complaining about older movies not being done in 4K when most modern films are still finished at 2K. Hell, the biggest movie of all time (Avengers) was shot predominantly on a 2.8K Alexa. The 4K future is still a ways off, it seems.

As for Raiders IMAX, the last couple of DMR presentations I saw were superb (Titanic 3D and TDKR) so I'm expecting to be wowed.
post #464 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvader View Post

if you ever saw the version sky used im 100% that will be the BD it has all the print damage removed and when they first screened it the press release stated that they were all new transfers exclusive to sky as paramount had an agreement to show their HD classics even going as far as saying some not even released on blu ray!
it would be unlikely that they did another scan? they may have colour corrected it again though
sky version has the blue line and the smudge erased and the original truck fall reinstated
whatever version im going go nuts for it! unless indy says NOOOOOOO! lol (btw i was the poor guy that unleashed that bombshell to the masses frown.gif )

Sky or BBC? There are two HD versions of doom and crusade, three of raiders
post #465 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The "audio quality" on the VHS tape of Crusades convinced me to invest in surround sound back in the days. By today's standards, it was pretty mediocre, but it capitivated me in those days. Thousands of $$ later, I look forward to the BD release of the Indiana Jones series. But like many others, I'll wait until I can buy Raiders and Crusades as stand alone discs. I do not need the other ones.

Cal68

Cal68
post #466 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Sky or BBC? There are two HD versions of doom and crusade, three of raiders

sorry i was only reffering to the sky version of raiders
bbc were still using the old master as of last week! i remember seeing it on the big screen for the diet coke festival in the UK prob 2003-2005 that was a new print struck especially for the festival i had never seen the blue line and the smudge until that day and it has haunted me ever since!

Please Visit My 11.2 3D Home Cinema Shed http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?SHARESHED=2744 as featured in home cinema choice magazine! Check out my blu-ray THX WOW! demo disc here
post #467 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't quite go so far as to say the left one is the BD transfer until we get actual screengrabs from the BD. The left image is actually from the IMAX trailer (I noted that on the screenshot comparison page I made and my post -- not sure how Jedi2016 missed that.).
post #468 of 1202 Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I didn't, actually.. the server at screenshotcomparison.com was down, so the link didn't work.

I prefer the left image, actually. It looks more like what actual grass and trees look like. The right one looks like it's had the Fellowship Filter applied to it.

The only part that bugs me about this set is the inclusion of the fourth film. And not for the crybaby reasons that others have brought up, but simply because I already own it. Do I get any kind of credit for this? An exchange? Ten bucks off the set? None of the above. I really hate double-dipping on principle, and this is just a slap in the face, making me buy a second, exact copy of a disc I already own. Really poor form, Paramount.

So I guess I'll have to wait until the inevitable release of the three films separately.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #469 of 1202 Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

The only part that bugs me about this set is the inclusion of the fourth film. And not for the crybaby reasons that others have brought up, but simply because I already own it. Do I get any kind of credit for this? An exchange? Ten bucks off the set? None of the above. I really hate double-dipping on principle, and this is just a slap in the face, making me buy a second, exact copy of a disc I already own. Really poor form, Paramount.
So I guess I'll have to wait until the inevitable release of the three films separately.

We knew the boxset was coming eventually so youre the dope for buying Skull it in the first place then.

post #470 of 1202 Old 09-03-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I sold my BD of Crystal Skull aaaaaaages ago, in anticipation of this set. Yes, it really was that simple.
post #471 of 1202 Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Just sell the damn thing or give it to a friend. If not, it does have extras that aren't being carried over.
post #472 of 1202 Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

I sold my BD of Crystal Skull aaaaaaages ago, in anticipation of this set. Yes, it really was that simple.

same I sold mine awhile back.

Frank

post #473 of 1202 Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

same I sold mine awhile back.

Lol. I sold mine a long time ago.

Thinking about taking my kids to see Raiders at the IMAX.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #474 of 1202 Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:

I prefer the left image, actually. It looks more like what actual grass and trees look like. The right one looks like it's had the Fellowship Filter applied to it.

The same location in Kauai was used in Jurassic Park and the grass looks quite green on the Blu-ray -- and while that film has some EE, the colors appear to be accurate.

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/jurassic_park_9.png
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/jurassic_park_11.png
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/jurassic_park_14.png
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/jurassic_park_15.png
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/jurassic_park_16.png
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/jurassic_park_18.png
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/jurassic_park_27.png
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/jurassic_park_28.png
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/jurassic_park_30.png
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/screenshots/jurassic_park_32.png

And in case you were thinking, "Well, sure but the two films probably shot at two completely different times of the year."

Raiders of the Lost Ark Kauai shoot: September 30th-October 3rd, 1980
Jurassic Park Kauai shoot: August 24th-September 11th, 1992
post #475 of 1202 Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I think the pertinent question is not whether the grass looks like the grass on Kauai in September, but whether it looks like the grass in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Also disagree about JP having "accurate" colors but that's another topic entirely...
post #476 of 1202 Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

I think the pertinent question is not whether the grass looks like the grass on Kauai in September, but whether it looks like the grass in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

My personal recollection is that the grass in Raiders has looked vibrant green in every 35mm print and home video version I have seen for the last 30 years. But if you can bring forth convincing evidence that it should look more like the IMAX trailer, then I'll gladly alter my opinion.
post #477 of 1202 Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

My personal recollection is that the grass in Raiders has looked vibrant green in every 35mm print and home video version I have seen for the last 30 years. But if you can bring forth convincing evidence that it should look more like the IMAX trailer, then I'll gladly alter my opinion.
I have no opinion of the matter, having not seen any print of Raiders recently enough to remember much of anything, let alone the exact color balance of the grass in that shot. I'm just saying that comparing the look of a color-timed movie, shot and printed on certain film stocks, to other color-timed movies shot and printed on different films stocks by different DPs, and photos of the location, shot with god knows what, or indeed the actual location, tells you absolutely nothing about how Indy should look. In fact, it could be tinted a certain way exactly so it doesn't look like a nice postcard of Kauai in September. I also don't believe that one frame from a youtube trailer tells you anything about how it does look.
post #478 of 1202 Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:

In fact, it could be tinted a certain way exactly so it doesn't look like a nice postcard of Kauai in September. I also don't believe that one frame from a youtube trailer tells you anything about how it does look.

Which is exactly why I cautioned against leaping to the conclusion that this is how the Blu-ray will definitely look before we've seen an actual frame from it. However, my concern is not solely with the Kauai scenes, but with the look of the entire trailer and reports from last year that the film as a whole has been graded warmer than how we've seen the film look before.

Regardless, we should see some actual Blu-ray images any day now.
Quote:

Also disagree about JP having "accurate" colors but that's another topic entirely...

Can I ask what you are basing this on? What are you comparing the Blu-ray to?
post #479 of 1202 Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM

Liked: 15
Am I the only person who thinks these films are dated as all hell?
post #480 of 1202 Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

Am I the only person who thinks these films are dated as all hell?
Yes
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page