Indiana Jones Trilogy - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Crusade was more like a fan service parody in places, there is more I do not like in that film than the rest, I rank them in release order personally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I feel like Raiders and Crusade belong together - similar plots, settings, locales and revisited gags, stunts, and such. I like the fan service. Doom bothers me mostly because it is so different than the other two and is so much darker. Willie and "Short Round" both annoy me to no end and neither character has any real connection to Indy so I don't really care if they live or die. I don't dislike Doom and I don't think it's bad, it's just my least favorite of the three. That's right, three.

My feelings about Skull are summed up here:
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/indiana-jones-and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull/

Given the choice, I would buy Raiders and Crusade individually and stop there, or if they offered a set without Skull, I would get that.
post #723 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I rank them in release order

I do, too, and my cut-off for quality falls between the first and the second.

I don't feel special...
post #724 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

I also find it an ironic coincidence that not ONE of the major review sites have done a review on this set. Things that make ya go hmmmm....

Judging by The Digital Bits post for a day or two ago, it would appear there is an embargo on reviews until Monday.
post #725 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post

Judging by The Digital Bits post for a day or two ago, it would appear there is an embargo on reviews until Monday.

rolleyes.gif

Nothing says, "trust me, it's awesome" like an embargo.
post #726 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

rolleyes.gif

post #727 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

Ok, I haven't made any comments until I saw for myself. I just spent about 10 minutes with Raiders and it, without a doubt,.....SUCKS! Imo, it looks like COMPLETE shyte!! Not only is the color timing screwed up but it's also VERY soft! Imo, stick with the hd caps/dvd's. I can't believe who terrible this looks. I'm disgusted!!
And for the record I am NOT a snobish "videophile". I tried going into this with a (fairly) open mind but I'm VERY dissappointed. After seeing what a fantastic job they did with Jaws, I had high hopes. The stills truly don't represent how ****** this looks. Sad....very sad.
I also find it an ironic coincidence that not ONE of the major review sites have done a review on this set. Things that make ya go hmmmm....

People have got to stop blowing their wad all over Jaws. It looks nothing like it ever did on film. Universal tuned it into video just like they do with everything else.
post #728 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

People have got to stop blowing their wad all over Jaws. It looks nothing like it ever did on film. Universal tuned it into video just like they do with everything else.

I think it looks terrific on my 106 screen. Maybe you'll LOVE how Raiders looks.
post #729 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 16
Nah, the only one i would re guy is the first one,
rest of the series are meh. eek.gif
post #730 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I've seen Jaws once at the drive in when I was young. The Blu Ray on my 130" scope screen looks much better than what I remember (who knows what the quality of the print was at the drive in). Maybe the grain has been scrubbed to much and false grain has been added. I couldn't say without a viewing of the restored film. But the end product is a huge improvement on the DVD and the wife and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The screen caps of the Indy movies aren't steering me away. The color timing changes and the aliasing aren't really shop stoppers for me at this point. Each will be a large improvement on the DVD's they replace. Raiders looking "soft" is likely a product of the lenses (as others have mentioned) and the film stock used at the time. If they made it look sharper, people would be complaining about the edge enhancement used to accomplish it.

I can certainly appreciate wanting the best representation of a film we cherish and remember. But having been involved in this hobby through VHS, LD, DVD and now Blu Ray, I feel fortunate to be able to view movies presented at this level of quality in my own home. Sure I'll notice Raider's color timing changes, just like I noticed those on FotR Extended. But I'm sure, just like with FotR, once I get into the film my brain will have adjusted to the presentation on the screen and I'll enjoy the film. I know to some these issues/changes are enough to boycott a product, but I remember when LD at $50 a disc was considered amazing quality and worth the cost. If I showed Jaws on Blu Ray to the me of 15 yrs ago and told him that people were disappointed about the presentation and not buying it, I'm pretty sure that me would think they were insane. I guess my attitude is I'll take what I can get and enjoy it while I can biggrin.gif.

post #731 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I agree with you there. These movies are some of the most important titles Paramount has in their catalog. I am surprised Spielberg did not pressure them to properly remaster them starting with the original scans.
At any rate, I will be buying the set, but will wait for the inevitable Q4 uber sale... Not paying close to $70 for something that was not given the attention it deserved, and I already own the Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull on Blu-Ray..
I just made the same decision. I was really psyched about these but my enthusiasm is definitely dampened now. I'll still get the set, but I don't feel like paying full price anymore. I'll come back at $40-50 (which is... what I think I paid for the complete Star Wars set?).
post #732 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

rolleyes.gif

I believe it's a fairly common practice, or at least it seems that way with all things Lucasfilm. Anyway, I may have been wrong because AVS Forum's review is up.
post #733 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post

Greetings,

No embargo, they just didn't get them to us until this week and there is a lot of material to cover. wink.gif

Regards,
nathanddrews likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #734 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks for the review Ralph. Nice setup, I'm sure Indy was stunning on the JVC. Hoping to upgrade my projector to one of those someday.

post #735 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Submitted for additional data points...

Film Fan Pete is pretty close to wetting himself over the Indiana Jones release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSANKh70qAo&feature=player_embedded#!

Also, one person on another forum found the Indy set on the shelf of his local Costco store for the lowest price anyone has mentioned so far. I'll post about that in the appropriate thread (if someone hasn't already done it).

Mark
post #736 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

I remember getting these titles when they were finally released on laser disc. They came out near the death of laser as a format. they might have been the last great release of that format.
I recall loving every frame of them. Watched all three 3-4 times each.
Then years later the DVDs came out and I was not as impressed. I didn't think they were bad- but I wasn't blown away with the upgrade.
In fact I didn't it consider it much of an upgrade. I watched them once on DVD.
These caps look very nice to me.
Every title seems to get the shaft here on this site.
I've come to expect it.
I for one will get this set and plan to enjoy the heck out of it.

It would seem some were born to bitch about anything.
Just go pick them up like the millions that will and enjoy.
Let the others live in their negative world of nit-picking and pissing and moaning. rolleyes.gif

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #737 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOA, Evil Dead, Kwai, Barbarella, Clue, Rocky Horror Just off the top of my head

Wow... I'm sure they look good... but perfect..?
I doubt it.
A/V is very much YOUR opinion. What one person thinks is great, the next person simply yawns.

post #738 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 24
We have another review of the Indy set:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/14/indiana-jones-the-complete-adventures-blu-ray-review-2
Quote:
The Verdict:

If you love Indiana Jones, then picking up this Blu-ray box set is pretty much a no-brainer. The transfers have their minor problems, but it's not nearly enough to warrant skipping this set. Audio is outstanding, and pretty much all the extras have been ported over. It would have been nice to see a few more newly crafted goodies, all the old bonus features, and maybe an isolated deleted scenes section. Regardless, Indiana Jones on Blu-ray is a sight to see, and the meticulous time and effort that went into this set is more than commendable.

Mark
post #739 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Wow... I'm sure they look good... but perfect..?
I doubt it.
A/V is very much YOUR opinion. What one person thinks is great, the next person simply yawns.

Find someone with bad words to say about them.
Quote:

It would seem some were born to bitch about anything.
Just go pick them up like the millions that will and enjoy.
Let the others live in their negative world of nit-picking and pissing and moaning. rolleyes.gif

Or some people just want to believe what they want and will not hear otherwise
post #740 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well Mike, I like great audio and video as much as anyone here on this site, but I'll have to pass on those titles. wink.gif
They are just not anything I'm personally interested in. So I surely won’t buy them and I am not willing to waste a rental on them.
This from the link in Mark Booths post re: the Indiana Jones Blu Rays…
“It's worth reiterating – most fans will not notice the slight flaws in these transfers. And even for those who do, it's hard to deny that Indiana Jones looks better than ever…”
If I didn’t know better, that quote directly contradicts about 95% of the comments on this thread. At least the recent ones anyway.

post #741 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Well Mike, I like great audio and video as much as anyone here on this site, but I'll have to pass on those titles. wink.gif
They are just not anything I'm personally interested in. So I surely won’t buy them and I am not willing to waste a rental on them.
This from the link in Mark Booths post re: the Indiana Jones Blu Rays…
“It's worth reiterating – most fans will not notice the slight flaws in these transfers. And even for those who do, it's hard to deny that Indiana Jones looks better than ever…”
If I didn’t know better, that quote directly contradicts about 95% of the comments on this thread. At least the recent ones anyway.

Does not make them any less a perfect transfer.
Better than ever? but worse than the HDTV
post #742 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph. Nice setup, I'm sure Indy was stunning on the JVC. Hoping to upgrade my projector to one of those someday.

Greetings,

Thanks and thanks.. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #743 of 1202 Old 09-14-2012, 04:06 PM

Liked: 14
For those who don't like the idea of sliding those discs in and out of the book's sleeves:

indyblucoverartdisplay.png
Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures
22mm spine. Size for printing is approx. 11 x 5 7/8 inches.
dargo likes this.
post #744 of 1202 Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does not make them any less a perfect transfer.
Better than ever? but worse than the HDTV

Sorry Mike, I’m just posting comments from a reviewer who has actually had the privilege of watching the movies. Imagine that eh…

Personally... I haven't seen the new transfers yet, but I can tell you that I’ll be scooping the Indy movies up this week. Can’t wait…!

post #745 of 1202 Old 09-15-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

It's worth noting that most of my family members wouldn't notice when a dvd was panned and scanned, but they sure would oooh and ahhhh over how superior the image was to a VHS tape.
The average movie watchers visual palate has been so distorted and desensitized from over-exposure to an endless parade of un-natural, over stylized, over manipulated, over processed images that films from the seventies and eighties- when presented as close as possible to their original theatrical looks- are more likely than not to be seen as bland and unpalatable.
post #746 of 1202 Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 AM

Liked: 22
Beginning my series of reviews with Raiders, there are issues that will bug people. Color timing will be a problem for most, especially in the opening jungle scenes. They're not warm so much as they are scorched, There's also a bizarre motion artifact around 4:30-4:50 as the spiders drop down where the image seems to be displaying extra frames or isn't refreshed properly (?). It's difficult to describe and still images don't show it well. You can see it on the brighter of the spiders here, and before you call motion blur, remember how slow the movement of this shot actually is:

There are instances of chroma noise, but it's minor and not worth taking note of for most. Cinematography can veer soft at times, and that's completely natural. Hopefully most won't take exception. Temple on the other hand? Well, that has some issues. That review comes tomorrow:

http://www.doblu.com/2012/09/15/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-review/
post #747 of 1202 Old 09-15-2012, 06:21 AM

The Scene with the Spiders looks the same in EVERY Home Video Release i saw. So its part of the Source and not a Blu Ray Transfer fault.

Looking forward to your Temple Review.
But what issues? Can you go more in to detail about this before the review is up?
Because i know the WOWOW HDTV Version and i always thought that it looks fantastic. The Blu Ray uses the same master.
post #748 of 1202 Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss HD View Post

The Scene with the Spiders looks the same in EVERY Home Video Release i saw. So its part of the Source and not a Blu Ray Transfer fault.
Looking forward to your Temple Review.
But what issues? Can you go more in to detail about this before the review is up?
Because i know the WOWOW HDTV Version and i always thought that it looks fantastic. The Blu Ray uses the same master.

Temple has signs of sharpening. Very minor halos. I looks fantastic overall, but distance shots tend to appear muddy and lack definition. Grain is a little more pronounced than it probably should be as a result too. I'll leave it at that. Haven't watched Crusade yet.

As for the spider scene, I do wonder what the cause is. I should pop in the DVD just to see it. It was quite jarring. Anyone have an explanation?
post #749 of 1202 Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 AM

The new color timing (yellow tint) doesn't look right to me. The DVD seems to have much more natural colors (you can see some comparison shots here: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=14348&cap2=14332&art=full&image=7&cID=1273&action=1&lossless=)
But still the Blu-ray version might be the original look of the movie. Is there any way to know how it looked when it was released? Is there anything we could use as reference?
post #750 of 1202 Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 AM

Yes the 2008 master of Temple and Crusade was a little sharpened unfortunately. But its a minor issue. The 2008 Master for Raiders was sharpened too btw.
Glad that the issues you have with the transfers are the ones i already know smile.gif So i'm looking forward to the blu rays with a good feeling.

I don't know why the spider scene in raiders looks that way. But like i said it is on every release i know. The DVD Master, The 2008 HD Master and now the 2012 HD Master. 3 different transfers and all have the same issue.
It's a problem with the film material itself i guess. Impossible to repair because otherwise with now so many different Transfers they would have tried to repair this.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page