Indiana Jones Trilogy - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'll wait for the 4K release of TOD so Kate Capshaw can be replaced via CGI by Madeline Kahn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm assuming it's being released in 4K? (There are 4K projectors already and 4K televisions will be out around that time)

I mean, it would be a joke if they released in something other than the current technology? Right? RIGHT?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post

I'll wait for the 4K release of TOD so Kate Capshaw can be replaced via CGI by Madeline Kahn.

Same here. It's too bad the studio didn't want my money, because I would have gladly bought a 1080p release AND a 4K one. But now I'll just wait and buy one release, this late.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Ill wait for the hologram release.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

I'm assuming it's being released in 4K? (There are 4K projectors already and 4K televisions will be out around that time)

I mean, it would be a joke if they released in something other than the current technology? Right? RIGHT?

Have you seen lucasfilm's commitment to new formats? Never happen, not till year 5 min
Old 01-28-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

You do realise that episode is taking the piss out of the detractors right?

what does this mean, in English, or American for that matter???

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Old 01-29-2012, 03:47 AM

Yeah, I think Karen Allen made such a great impression as Marion in 'Raiders' that Kate Capshaw was a MAJOR disappointment at the time. IMHO.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

what does this mean, in English, or American for that matter???

They are saying that the people that over reacted with hate are wrong, not that the film was at fault.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

They are saying that the people that over reacted with hate are wrong, not that the film was at fault.

Uhh...you clearly didn't get the joke, if that's what you think.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Matt Stone and Trey Parker said they are the voice of Butters in that episode, but if you want to correct them maybe you know better.
The voice of the other kids was the stupid overwrought internet vitriol, listen to them its word for word the BS complaints that the internet faithful made.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Let's face it...in Crystal Skull, Indy DID get raped in one way or another. I don't even remember the movie (it was that bad if you stack it with the Trilogy) People like Matt Stone and Trey Parker also feel the same. I agree with DigitalFreakNYC....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

Let's face it...in Crystal Skull, Indy DID get raped in one way or another. I don't even remember the movie (it was that bad if you stack it with the Trilogy) People like Matt Stone and Trey Parker also feel the same. I agree with DigitalFreakNYC....

They don't feel the same...
Old 01-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In reading this thread it's interesting to see how different peoples' tastes are.

For me, Temple is clearly the worst of the 4 movies. It has a tremendous start but once in the airplane it goes downhill quickly, pun intended. It not just the horrible Kate Capshaw and the irritating kid, the movie is so mean spirited.

On the other hand Last Crusade is my second favorite, primarily because of the dry understated humor in the exchanges between Connery and Ford.

Regarding Skull, the less said the better although it could have been worse. What's his name, who played the son, was every bit as irritating as Capshaw. I almost think the movie would have been better it they would have cast against type and had a daughter instead of a son.

I'm not sure I'll upgrade when the BDs come out. The PQ and sound would have to be immensely better than the DVDs.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by starman7 View Post

Yeah, I think Karen Allen made such a great impression as Marion in 'Raiders' that Kate Capshaw was a MAJOR disappointment at the time. IMHO.

The REAL reason lies in the difference between the 2 characters.
Everyone wanted another Marion-type (tough tomboy) for the sequel/prequel.
But he went with the opposite: a prissy, sissy, spoiled beautiful babe.

SS didn't try to repeat the Raiders story of Indy battling Nazis (and rightly so IMO).
Instead he went the other way, while still staying true to the spirit of Indiana Jones.

A lot folks don't seem to get this....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I loved all 3 original Indiana Jones movies. Each one of them had something special. However, the 4th was AWFUL!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The REAL reason lies in the difference between the 2 characters.
Everyone wanted another Marion-type (tough tomboy) for the sequel/prequel.
But he went with the opposite: a prissy, sissy, spoiled beautiful babe.

SS didn't try to repeat the Raiders story of Indy battling Nazis (and rightly so IMO).
Instead he went the other way, while still staying true to the spirit of Indiana Jones.

A lot folks don't seem to get this....

That's why last crusade was flawed, it was fan service
Old 01-29-2012, 03:26 PM

Liked: 10
I like both sequels quite a bit. Last Crusade is certainly playing it safe, but the cast chemistry is amazing and the film is a blast. Temple of Doom... well, I'm happy that people have finally come around on it. It has an energy all its own and is also a lot of fun.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

I loved all 3 original Indiana Jones movies. Each one of them had something special. However, the 4th was AWFUL!

I rank them in quality by release date.

Raiders -- pure awesomeness! Spielberg/Kasdan/Lucas/Williams at their best

Temple -- except for a few grating moments provided by Willie and Short Round, it is a high spirited, fun romp from start to finish with wonderfully choreographed stunt sequences and film editing, and a magnificent Williams score. It continues the kind of "Tales from the Crypt" horror comic motif started in Raiders with macabre images and gruesome, otherworldly death scenes.

If you watch Gunga-Din with Cary Grant, you'll appreciate this movie even more since you'll see just how much that classic inspired Spielberg and Lucas.

Crusade -- It was a kind of lackluster, lazy outing similar to Jedi with the Holy Grail being chased by the Nazis instead of the Ark of the Covenant being chased by the same Nazis. The bad guy's death is also pretty much lifted from Raiders.

One thing that bugged me the most about Crusade... they had to try and "explain" Indiana Jones rather than keeping him enigmatic with a mysterious, "fill in the blanks yourself" background as in the first two films with a totally unnecessary young Indy adventure prologue.

Crystal Skull... what... wait... there was a fourth movie? Really?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Pretty much my feelings exactly. I try and pretend the 4th movie never existed.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

Pretty much my feelings exactly. I try and pretend the 4th movie never existed.

Hey, weren't you in the second film, Lao Che?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:

Temple -- except for a few grating moments provided by Willie and Short Round, it is a high spirited, fun romp from start to finish

What part was more fun? The children being whipped or slapped or fighting or being burned by a torch? Indy finding severed fingers? Being forced to drink blood? Hooo! Fun!

Quote:

I hadn't heard this joke before! Really!

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Matt Stone and Trey Parker said they are the voice of Butters in that episode, but if you want to correct them maybe you know better.
The voice of the other kids was the stupid overwrought internet vitriol, listen to them its word for word the BS complaints that the internet faithful made.

I never heard them state that. Link? Keep in mind they've been ripping on Spielberg and Lucas changing their movies in other past episodes. Free Hat comes to mind.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

It's both. They're saying the film wasn't very good, but that people are going way overboard in their reactions to it.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:

I rank them in quality by release date.

Raiders -- pure awesomeness! Spielberg/Kasdan/Lucas/Williams at their best

Temple -- except for a few grating moments provided by Willie and Short Round, it is a high spirited, fun romp from start to finish with wonderfully choreographed stunt sequences and film editing, and a magnificent Williams score. It continues the kind of "Tales from the Crypt" horror comic motif started in Raiders with macabre images and gruesome, otherworldly death scenes.

If you watch Gunga-Din with Cary Grant, you'll appreciate this movie even more since you'll see just how much that classic inspired Spielberg and Lucas.

Crusade -- It was a kind of lackluster, lazy outing similar to Jedi with the Holy Grail being chased by the Nazis instead of the Ark of the Covenant being chased by the same Nazis. The bad guy's death is also pretty much lifted from Raiders.

One thing that bugged me the most about Crusade... they had to try and "explain" Indiana Jones rather than keeping him enigmatic with a mysterious, "fill in the blanks yourself" background as in the first two films with a totally unnecessary young Indy adventure prologue.

Good assessment!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 249
So...Lucas decided to fill in some of the backstory of one of his most iconic characters by showing him as a young man. And in another film - a prequel, no less - he saddled his hero with a bumbling comedy sidekick who "hilariously" no speaky English very well. Makes me wonder why the new Star Wars prequels were so badly received; it's not like Lucas didn't let us know what to expect.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

What part was more fun? The children being whipped or slapped or fighting or being burned by a torch? Indy finding severed fingers? Being forced to drink blood? Hooo! Fun!

Have you seen the first film? There are impalings, exploding heads, melting faces, henchmen being chopped up by propellers, Indy casually murdering people, shooting guys in the head and running them over with a truck...

I watched it again on a big screen recently and I'm still kind of amazed that it was rated PG.

Temple of Doom is saddled with a dumb script, but the direction is dynamite. Look at the way Spielberg stages the action - the angles, camera movement and blocking. Even a minor scene like the thwarted seduction is packed with visual ideas - check out the way the door and the curtains surrounding the bed are used in that scene.

Last Crusade is saved by Connery, but it's largely a Raiders retread. The writing is sharper than Temple, but it's indifferently directed - Spielberg's heart doesn't seem to be in this one. It feels more like a mediocre director trying to ape Spielberg's style rather than the genuine article.

Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I personally don't think Lucas destroyed my childhood--but if he did, it started when he turned Sallah and Brody into bumbling one note comic relief buffoons in Last Crusade. Or when the German pilot does a double take when Indy passes his airplane in a tunnel. Or when the boat in Venice stays afloat while being chopped to bits. Or when Indy pretends to be Scottish and interested in tapestries. Or the awful "Tanks/You're Welcome" exchange. Or Elsa's clunky "Go between them? Are you crazy?" Or that silly librarian in awe of his amazingly loud stamp. None of the other three films were ever this wacky/zany--Crusade was utterly emptied of any sense of dread or danger or threat for the sake of making a lighthearted carefree comedic romp.

Every brave and bold choice made by Temple of Doom in refusing to pander to the audience was undone by Last Crusade, and the Indiana Jones series ditched the tones of danger and terror and turned into the Harrison Ford and Sean Connery stand up comedy hour.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

Have you seen the first film?
There are impalings, exploding heads, melting faces, henchmen being chopped up by propellers, Indy casually murdering people, shooting guys in the head and running them over with a truck...

Obviously not, otherwise he wouldn't have said what he did.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

Every brave and bold choice made by Temple of Doom in refusing to pander to the audience [...]

Man, I wish I could see that movie that you see.

All I see is a poorly constructed George Lucas blockbuster "thrill ride" rollercoaster with some incredibly annoying elements. One that *could* have been a great movie but ended up being the worst of the series.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Looks like this thread is slowly coming around to the truth: Raiders of the Lost Ark is nice stuff; the rest of the series is pretty useless.

I don't feel special...