Indiana Jones Trilogy - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

Nathan Fillion, the most wasted actor in Hollywood's history. Hurry, before he gets old.
That would be an excellent choice indeed!
Morpheo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
nathanddrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

Nathan Fillion, the most wasted actor in Hollywood's history. Hurry, before he gets old.

+1 to him being Indy in a reboot.
+1 to agreeing that he is a wasted talent

-10,000 for you thinking the the Avengers Blu-ray looks horrendous, unless you thought it looked horrendous in the theater, because it's identical to the theatrical release in PQ. How do I know this? because I saw it four times in theater, then watched the full Blu-ray ISO torrent of it on my Epson 8350 @ 100" immediately after seeing it a fifth time (or was it the sixth? I lost track) at the theater on Labor Day (Sep 3). Gobs of detail and sharp as a tack, but soft CG shots and some flat imagery. Par for the course with digital video. I can't wait for my Blu-ray to arrive next week!
nathanddrews is offline  
post #993 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
khronikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post

It's those damn kids again. Always out there, those teenage videophiles - scrutinizing the color of my lawn.
Up to no damn good.

That was hilarious.

My point was this is THEIR art not yours. If I write a book and want to revise that damn book as in Leaves of Grass I will do that and I will not care what you as the end user think. If I want my film to suddenly look bright pink well then bud you are **** out of luck because I am the the creator here.

The idea that Rome is now being compared to Film escapes me slightly although I see your point.

Again, I like what Blade Runner did for that set and that should be what people aim for. In the case where they are not going beyond simple restoration well then Spielberg has the right to revisit what he never had the chance to do and do whatever he pleases with it.

Yeah, Lucas has killed his films but that is because he has not taste. If he spend 200 million to restore the Star Wars films with updated effects and stuff and to make them blend seamlessly, and most of all, have some damn taste while doing it I would never revisit the old ones again.

But obviously the guy will never do this. We can only hope for 4k that Star Wars has elmo bots running around and the tint is a nice brash pinkish flavor so we can all talk about it until the end of our lives.
khronikos is offline  
post #994 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
CatBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

If I write a book and want to revise that damn book as in Leaves of Grass I will do that and I will not care what you as the end user think.

And if there were someone out there arguing that you couldn't do it, that (straw) man would be wrong--because your old copy would still be out there in the highest-quality possible for people to enjoy if they chose. You would only cross the line when you start to go out to the libraries that still have copies of your old version, and either take them away, swap them with your revised version, or replace them with grainy illegible photographs of the old edition. The line isn't crossed when you decide to make changes, the line is crossed when you actively seek out and destroy cultural works.

To quote an expert on the subject of destruction of cultural works: "In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten."
CatBus is offline  
post #995 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
khronikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Honestly, though, this film never looked that great in the first place. The new color timing suits the film and Indy's style imo. I can however see why people get upset because they have some close affinity to how it was. If you want that old film you can watch the DVD. I don't know what else to say. There are many first editions of books that were later revised that are not available. It's how it is. It's not your film to tinker with and that is not a straw man argument it's the flippin' truth.
khronikos is offline  
post #996 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
CatBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

If you want that old film you can watch the DVD.

That old film is not available on DVD, and even if it were, it would be a pretty shoddy reproduction of 35mm under the best-case scenario. A lot of people were hoping the Blu-ray would be their first chance to see that old film looking like it used to, in any format other than 35mm.

I don't know of many books that are unavailable for purchase. The first editions of many books are still for sale in bookstores nationwide. The only books I know that are unavailable are the ones that went up in flames when the library at Alexandria was sacked. I'm against burning books, but editing books is fine. Same with film. I love many Director's Cuts, I think they add a lot to the film, and I'm glad they do it. Shame about burning the old ones though.

But really, your argument is a straw man argument. You keep saying we're somehow opposed to tinkering with, modifying, editing things. And yet there's just no evidence for it. They have that right, and we have zero people arguing against it.

If you say that we're opposed to director's destroying films that they've already released to the public so that the public can no longer see them at all, that would be accurate. Heck, we've even got cases where a producer at the studio has stepped in and done this to other people's films, so authorship has never really been a factor in the discussion.
CatBus is offline  
post #997 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeffer65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

Interesting idea........ Who would make a good Indy today? I think Mathew McConaughey could pull it off.

I think Josh Holloway (Sawyer from LOST) would make a good Indy. Any of the other actors mentioned could pull it off, but I'd rather not see a reboot.

Jeffer65
Jeffer65 is offline  
post #998 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
khronikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't want to see another Indy unless they have a quality writer. I am not too sure they ever have so won't hold my breathe on that. It is kind of strange to me how bad CS was. Usually Spielberg is not associated with films that bad. It's almost if Lucas was the main guy behind it but who knows.
khronikos is offline  
post #999 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I would actually like to see a reboot.. Harrison in some sort of cameo role and Shia gone... Not a fan of him...

IMO, this would never work. As much as think Harrison is really a pretty sub par actor, he none the less is Indiana Jones. It's his signature role. The problem is not that he's old - it's that the script and story were not well conceived or executed.
RWetmore is offline  
post #1000 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

I don't want to see another Indy unless they have a quality writer. I am not too sure they ever have so won't hold my breathe on that. It is kind of strange to me how bad CS was. Usually Spielberg is not associated with films that bad. It's almost if Lucas was the main guy behind it but who knows.

They also need a good and unique story. CS could have been much better, even with same basic story. I still maintain the biggest weakness was having a female villian, and a totally unconvicing one at that. Cate Blanchett was totally miscast, IMO. She comes across as more of a spoof of villian than a real villian. For whatever reason, her character just flat out did not work at all and really brought down the movie. Don't get me wrong, there were other significant flaws, but I still think this is the biggest by far.
RWetmore is offline  
post #1001 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

IMO, this would never work. As much as think Harrison is really a pretty sub par actor, he none the less is Indiana Jones. It's his signature role. The problem is not that he's old - it's that the script and story were not well conceived or executed.

Well, we are talking about Hollywood here.. Reboots and sequels are pretty common, so it would be possible if Lucas and Spielberg were onboard.

Nathan Fillion recommended above woud be an awesome choice!

And Harrison Ford IS too old now.. 70 year old action heroes.... Not getting it done anymore, I say just give him a cameo...
ack_bk is offline  
post #1002 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

It is kind of strange to me how bad CS was. Usually Spielberg is not associated with films that bad

The Lost World: Jurassic Park!...Spielberg has had his share of duds
TitusTroy is offline  
post #1003 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

The Lost World: Jurassic Park!...Spielberg has had his share of duds

Actually, The Lost World was generally excellent up until the San Diego part at the end. I thought at least.
RWetmore is offline  
post #1004 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

I don't want to see another Indy unless they have a quality writer. I am not too sure they ever have so won't hold my breathe on that. It is kind of strange to me how bad CS was. Usually Spielberg is not associated with films that bad. It's almost if Lucas was the main guy behind it but who knows.

Lucas wrote KOTCS, and he and Spielberg are buddies. If you have KOTCS, watch the extras... There is a lot of background on Lucas writing the story and Spielberg's reception of it.. The thing is, the Indy movies have always been fun and hokey, but the KOTCS took it too far... It could have been a good movie but it was overdone and too long.
ack_bk is offline  
post #1005 of 1202 Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Strevlac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Actually, The Lost World was generally excellent up until the San Diego part at the end. I thought at least.

Opening night 1997. Theater was packed. 30 minutes in people getting restless. I'm thinking, "ok it's going to get really good any minute now." About 45 minutes in I'm getting a sinking feeling in my stomach. It never did.

That was the second biggest movie going dissapointment of my life.
Strevlac is offline  
post #1006 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 04:35 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Lucas wrote KOTCS, and he and Spielberg are buddies. If you have KOTCS, watch the extras... There is a lot of background on Lucas writing the story and Spielberg's reception of it.. The thing is, the Indy movies have always been fun and hokey, but the KOTCS took it too far... It could have been a good movie but it was overdone and too long.

Lucas used a lot of the many many scripts that existed and cobbled them all together
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #1007 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Member
 
Heimlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was a hodgepodge of bad ideas from all directions.
Heimlich is offline  
post #1008 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 05:28 AM
Member
 
Dark Light's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

Honestly, though, this film never looked that great in the first place. The new color timing suits the film and Indy's style imo. I can however see why people get upset because they have some close affinity to how it was. If you want that old film you can watch the DVD. I don't know what else to say. There are many first editions of books that were later revised that are not available. It's how it is. It's not your film to tinker with and that is not a straw man argument it's the flippin' truth.

Obviously the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences thought otherwise as it was nominated for best cinematography.

Anyway, people should realise that the new color timing has not improved the look of the film, on the contrary. Without going into the details again, just by comparing the Raiders, Temple and Crusade Blu-rays the latter two look noticeably better (as far as colors are concerned). But there really is no reason why Raiders shouldn't look just as good.
Dark Light is offline  
post #1009 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Member
 
Dark Light's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Double post.
Dark Light is offline  
post #1010 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 06:06 AM
Senior Member
 
khronikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was talking about the look of the elements on Home formats.

Anyway, LUCAS wrote that HAHAHAHAHA. Who could have guessed? One of the most awful writers of any generation possible writes the new Indy and it sucks so much donkey that I don't know if I have enough stables for all the donkey. I seriously hate this guy, in an artistic way, with a passion that knows no bounds.

If the guys that did Blade Runner did the Star Wars stuff I guarantee you fans would accept both versions lovingly.

It's sad really, how money can convince you that you actually have talent with writing.
khronikos is offline  
post #1011 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

I was talking about the look of the elements on Home formats.
Anyway, LUCAS wrote that HAHAHAHAHA. Who could have guessed? One of the most awful writers of any generation possible writes the new Indy and it sucks so much donkey that I don't know if I have enough stables for all the donkey. I seriously hate this guy, in an artistic way, with a passion that knows no bounds.
If the guys that did Blade Runner did the Star Wars stuff I guarantee you fans would accept both versions lovingly.
It's sad really, how money can convince you that you actually have talent with writing.

And as long as Lucas is heavily involved with the story for Indy 5, I have serious reservations...
ack_bk is offline  
post #1012 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 06:32 AM
Member
 
Dark Light's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

I was talking about the look of the elements on Home formats.

Then allow me to reply with my post from another forum:

"I really don't like this argument when it comes to Blu-ray quality. You could say that it looks the best it ever has (on home video) about every first time Blu-ray release, thanks to the higher resolution and bitrate there must be some improvement over the DVD, no matter how many mistakes and issues there are. Even the first Gladiator Blu-ray was overall an improvement over the DVD.

If we say that as a long as a Blu-ray is some improvement over the DVD, it is fine and we shouldn't complain about its issues, then there is really no point in discussing the quality at all. Because what this argument means is basically Blu-ray = better than it ever looked = be happy with it. Therefore be happy with any Blu-ray."
Dark Light is offline  
post #1013 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Light View Post

Then allow me to reply with my post from another forum:
"I really don't like this argument when it comes to Blu-ray quality. You could say that it looks the best it ever has (on home video) about every first time Blu-ray release, thanks to the higher resolution and bitrate there must be some improvement over the DVD, no matter how many mistakes and issues there are. Even the first Gladiator Blu-ray was overall an improvement over the DVD.
If we say that as a long as a Blu-ray is some improvement over the DVD, it is fine and we shouldn't complain about its issues, then there is really no point in discussing the quality at all. Because what this argument means is basically Blu-ray = better than it ever looked = be happy with it. Therefore be happy with any Blu-ray."

Yeah, but some movies deserve the complaints. Gladiator, Gangs of New York, Patton are all movies that could have been noticeably better if they had been properly handheld. Guess what, Gladiator and Gangs were re-released n Blu-Ray and look much better. Patton is getting re-released and the word is that it is the way it should have been released with all the fine detail intact. I don't mind people complaining about the Bond issues if they are worth complaining about. I would prefer to know the issues upfront. I am not a huge fan of any of the Brosnan movies, but I was pretty unhappy with the pink push in the whites with the YOLT screencaps. Very disspointing, but I am not canceling and I will just take the good with the bad. I would love to see MGM address the issues, but it aint happening anytime soon.
ack_bk is offline  
post #1014 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 91
received my copy yesterday...havn't watched any of the movies yet but the packaging is a lot better then I thought it was going to be...the pics don't do it justice...I love Digibooks and although this is not up to par with some of the best ones like the Jaws Best Buy exclusive, is pretty good...the production photos are pretty cool...I wanted to see more pages...even the cover art is growing on me
TitusTroy is offline  
post #1015 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Strevlac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I haven't seen Last Crusade yet but I watched Temple of Doom last night and the aliasing/stair-stepping there is definitely not normal.
Strevlac is offline  
post #1016 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
42041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Light View Post

Anyway, people should realise that the new color timing has not improved the look of the film, on the contrary. Without going into the details again, just by comparing the Raiders, Temple and Crusade Blu-rays the latter two look noticeably better (as far as colors are concerned). But there really is no reason why Raiders shouldn't look just as good.
You should realize that other people might not necessarily share your opinions.
Raiders looks superb, minor niggles aside. The other two have their share of problems.
42041 is offline  
post #1017 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Member
 
batutta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

I haven't seen Last Crusade yet but I watched Temple of Doom last night and the aliasing/stair-stepping there is definitely not normal.

Where did you see it? I didn't notice any at all.
batutta is offline  
post #1018 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Strevlac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

Where did you see it? I didn't notice any at all.

It's most prominent in the credits but it can be seen at different points in the film, particularly in slowly moving high-contrast areas. I noticed in in Willie's white shirt while she was walking in the village close the the beginning of the film. Sometimes in closeups of faces too. Note I am watching on a 100 inch screen, seating distance about 8 feet. Regardless if it's noticeable on on smaller setups it shouldn't be there. There's something screwy with how this master was scaled for bluray.

Other than that it looked pretty good but not great. It doesn't look as natural as Raiders (not talking about color, that's a separate discussion), the grain is not as sharply defined and sometimes takes on a bit of a noisy look. But like I said, it looks pretty good. If the wierd scaling issue wasn't there I'd definitely be happier with it.
Strevlac is offline  
post #1019 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Strevlac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

There was none on my set-up.

"There was none" and "I didn't see any" are two different things. Describe your setup. And your seating distance.
Strevlac is offline  
post #1020 of 1202 Old 09-22-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Yeah, but some movies deserve the complaints. Gladiator, Gangs of New York, Patton are all movies that could have been noticeably better if they had been properly handheld. Guess what, Gladiator and Gangs were re-released n Blu-Ray and look much better. Patton is getting re-released and the word is that it is the way it should have been released with all the fine detail intact

you can also add The Fifth Element to that list...original Blu-ray was horrible...remastered version is much improved
TitusTroy is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off