post #121 of 183 Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

And then the one guy who's seen the movie in both 2D and 3D (me) claims there isn't any significant difference.

I posted earlier that I watched both versions and prefer the 3D presentation.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 183 Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
As I mentioned back on the first page of this thread, I saw a 3D advance screening of Hugo before it opened and wondered what some of the reviews that gushed over the "best use of 3D yet" were actually getting at. I've read several responses to the question since and honestly I think it's all BS from 3D fanboys. The techniques are nothing that are not done in 2D, and they are simply exaggerated to the point of distraction when seen in 3D. I watched the 2D Blu-ray last Friday night and to me, as has been my experience with all the 3D/2D dual viewings I've made, felt that the 2D provides my eyes a much more seamless and immersive movie watching experience. Things just look more real and natural in 2D than they do to me when "expanded" to 3D. Put me on a holodeck with actual 3D objects and I'd likely change my tune, but via a movie screen at a theater it continues to be more of a distraction than an enhancement for me.

ron
post #123 of 183 Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

I posted earlier that I watched both versions and prefer the 3D presentation.

Mea maxima culpa. Incidentally, which did you see first? I saw 2D first and then 3D, so I didn't get any of the "bonus wow" from seeing it for the very first time in 3D. I'm not sure it matters too much, but I can see how anyone might theoretically be biased in favor of the first one they saw.
post #124 of 183 Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Watched the 2D BD tonite.

The video is as good as anything I can recall on the format.
The audio is also very good, but not quite on the same level as the video (IMO).

I could see where 3D was probably employed (hey, I have an imagination).
Although I did buy the 3D/2D combo, at the moment, I don't have the necessary hardware needed to check out the 3D presentation (I will at some point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

I watched it with my eyes closed. I can envision the shot choices by listening to the soundtrack.

Sorry, dude- if you didn't see it in 3D, you're completely out of place commenting on the 3D.

not commenting on the 3d. only saying, just like oink, that i could see a couple of shots where the 3d was probably used.

neflixis our nemesis
post #125 of 183 Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
There are a couple of extras on the 2D BD that are excellent and highly recommended (by me):

The Cinemagician, Georges Méliès (1080p, 15:41): A look back at the life, style, and influences of the famed filmmaker and an examination of his role in this story.
The Mechanical Man at the Heart of Hugo (1080p, 12:45): A quality piece that primarily looks back at the history of automata but also briefly examines the design of the automaton seen in the film.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #126 of 183 Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

... "And though the crowd clapped furiously, they could not see the joke." - Brooker/Fisher/Reid

Respectfully, I think you grossly under estimate the comprehension of the people who have contributed to this thread. I think without exception, everyone here "got it' in terms of an homage to the art of film making, Georges Méliès creativity, and the evolution to 3D. It is so painfully obvious and transparent, perhaps to the point that if the movie were without sound, one which was remotely familiar with Georges Méliès work would understand the connection.

And the idea of the evolution of cinema... My god, how many times could Scorsese reference this point by showing "Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat" by Louis and Auguste Lumière (silent B&W) and then recreate the event in the story via 3D CGI? This point is driven home as if the audience were Pavlov's dog.

"Never work with animals or children." - W.C. Fields

HUGO is a sad children's film (Old Yeller, Bambi, etc.) and a by the book cliché; a formula format movie.

HUGO is a "woe is me" story loosely based in fact with artistic liberties taken ad infinitum complete with not one but two orphaned children (one with big sad eye's), dogs, a shiftless mean drunken uncle, a Keystone Cop war hero chasing the orphan's, and finally a happy ending where the orphan is re-claimed and becomes part of a loving family. I will take the reference to Georges Méliès work as a bonus.

This is genius? It feels more like stuffing 10lbs into a 5lbs bag.

If there is genius in HUGO it maybe in the screen credit of Jonny Depp as Producer, his un-credited cameo appearance, and all the money he is taking to the bank as a result.

This is a movie made to sell 3D, no question. Whether you like 3D or not may be the bigger question.

Maybe so. Stanley Kubrick took me on a journey into the wonder and amazement of cave men discovering fire and learning how to kill people with a bone.

Stanley Kubrick didn't need 3D to do it; so what?

I don't think HUGO will go down in history as one of Scorsese's more memorable movies. I believe the 2012 Academy Awards have given proper credit for the technical merits of HUGO and correctly recognized HUGO did not deserve a "Best Picture" Oscar.

I enjoyed reading your post David_B

I was going to make a post, but you pretty much summed up everything i wanted to say nicely. Except I did not care for David_B post I think the story was abundantly clear and very easy to understand. Although the trailers made it seem a bit misleading.
post #127 of 183 Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

If there is genius in HUGO it maybe in the screen credit of Jonny Depp as Producer, his un-credited cameo appearance, and all the money he is taking to the bank as a result.

b Curry,

Just as a side note, Johnny Depp DID NOT have any on screen appearances. Most people think he played the role of Django Reinhard, (the guitar player in the cafe) but that was played by Emil Lager, who looks something like Depp.

When we were doing the mix with Thelma Schoonmaker & Mr Scorsese, this question came up. We were told that Johnny Depp was going to have a cameo as Salvador Dali, (one of the seated patrons at the cafe during the scene where Hugo is chased by max the doberman). This did not work out due to scheduling conflicts...
post #128 of 183 Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by miilleman View Post

b Curry,

Just as a side note, Johnny Depp DID NOT have any on screen appearances. Most people think he played the role of Django Reinhard, (the guitar player in the cafe) but that was played by Emil Lager, who looks something like Depp.

When we were doing the mix with Thelma Schoonmaker & Mr Scorsese, this question came up. We were told that Johnny Depp was going to have a cameo as Salvador Dali, (one of the seated patrons at the cafe during the scene where Hugo is chased by max the doberman). This did not work out due to scheduling conflicts...

Thank you for that information miilleman. I'm certainly willing to accept your comment as fact.

But I will stand by my comment of genius. Genius being intended or by accident, I have seen two versions of the same article from "Variety" dated November 16, 2011 by CHRISTOPHER MORRIS. One version references Depp's cameo as the sextet's guitarist with the other identical version of the article missing this verbiage altogether.

Either way I believe the possibility of a Depp cameo has helped generate some buzz for the film. I would imagine Mr. Emil Lager could make some money as a stand in for Depp; his looks, stage presence, and swagger while playing the guitar were very convincing.

Emil Lager: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1350680320/nm3007560

You mixed or were involved with the mix? If so congratulations on your award!
post #129 of 183 Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM

Thanks, for the kind words! i was part of the sound edit team that won. It was a fun project
post #130 of 183 Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Thanks, for the kind words! i was part of the sound edit team that won. It was a fun project

Excellent!

The 7.1 on the Blu-ray was one of the best we've heard as well. I don't know if it's a direct transfer or re-mix? My wife commented how good the Blu-ray sound was and this is rare.
post #131 of 183 Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Excellent!

The 7.1 on the Blu-ray was one of the best we've heard as well. I don't know if it's a direct transfer or re-mix? My wife commented how good the Blu-ray sound was and this is rare.

I thought the mix was excellent too.

post #132 of 183 Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

I thought the mix was excellent too.

Well i will finally get a chance to watch it tonight.

Frank

post #133 of 183 Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

As the movie started, it sounded like I was living inside a giant clock. The sounds all around me made the entire room come alive. I'm happy that the sound team received Oscar recognition!

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #134 of 183 Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 AM

"Hugo is a little slow for children, and probably most adults. But it's typical of Scorsese's style, either you like it or you don't."

I agree with most all of David B's comments on this film with the exception of the above. I attended a 3D presentation on opening night with my 7 and 5 year old granddaughters. They sat entranced for the entire film and talked about it for weeks afterward. But then again I may be raising the next Siskel and Ebert.

You know, a guy could get into this HT thing and drop a couple of bucks!
post #135 of 183 Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've just finished watching this film I enjoyed it very much. I admit I loved the story it was very well done. I thought the child playing Hugo did a fantastic job as well as Ben Kingsley. The pq and aq were top notch I watched it in 2D and it was perfect. I'm glad I bought it.

Frank

post #136 of 183 Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

As the movie started, it sounded like I was living inside a giant clock. The sounds all around me made the entire room come alive. I'm happy that the sound team received Oscar recognition!

I agree that was awesome.

Frank

post #137 of 183 Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Watching Hugo was very strange for me. The children acted like adults wanting to be children. I wasn't moved by the childrens acting, I'm sorry to say.

And there was another thing that was kinda strange. It was very little bass coming from my subwoofer when the train chrashed. When I think of it, it was very little bass troughout the whole film. Maybe that was something Marty wanted, or maybe it is something wrong with my disc..I dont know.

The feature about the making of the automaton was Very interesting. It was almost more interesting than the film itself.

At the end I wanted to know more about Milies(spelling?)life. However, this film is aimed for children, and I'm certain that they will love Hugo.
post #138 of 183 Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap View Post

It was very little bass coming from my subwoofer when the train chrashed. When I think of it, it was very little bass troughout the whole film. Maybe that was something Marty wanted, or maybe it is something wrong with my disc..I dont know.

I did notice very little SW action.

Quote:
At the end I wanted to know more about Milies(spelling?)life.

Did you see this doc on the 2D BD?
The Cinemagician, Georges Méliès (1080p, 15:41): A look back at the life, style, and influences of the famed filmmaker and an examination of his role in this story.

post #139 of 183 Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Just watched this and thought it was a great film. Besides the low end which was anemic to the extreme, audio was excellent. PQ was fantastic. Would love to see the 3d version next time.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #140 of 183 Old 03-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I did notice very little SW action.

Did you see this doc on the 2D BD?

Yes I did. What I meant was that I wanted Scorsese elaborate more about him, in the film.
post #141 of 183 Old 03-08-2012, 06:36 AM

Trust me, there were LFE elements on the LCR, and on the boom track.... Though not a ton. (I.E. close ups of the train wheels with drive pistons pumping during the nightmare sequence.) That being said, there was not a ton, and in most cases, music was given impetus.

Though i haven't heard it, it could be that the bluray had some issues in the remaster for home. As i'm sure most are aware, most movies are re-mixed for home systems. Sometimes, the boom track is folded back into the mains, or drastically attenuated. Also, they compress just a little bit to restrict dynamic range, because of the limitations of most home systems, and if needed, bring out the dialog for intelligibility. (obviously most on this forum have very nice home theaters, but one must think of the lowest common denominator....)
post #142 of 183 Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

Trust me, there were LFE elements on the LCR, and on the boom track.... Though not a ton. (I.E. close ups of the train wheels with drive pistons pumping during the nightmare sequence.) That being said, there was not a ton, and in most cases, music was given impetus.

Though i haven't heard it, it could be that the bluray had some issues in the remaster for home. As i'm sure most are aware, most movies are re-mixed for home systems. Sometimes, the boom track is folded back into the mains, or drastically attenuated. Also, they compress just a little bit to restrict dynamic range, because of the limitations of most home systems, and if needed, bring out the dialog for intelligibility. (obviously most on this forum have very nice home theaters, but one must think of the lowest common denominator....)

Report back if you check out the blu ray and let us know if it is indeed different as far as the remaster/mix. There was VERY little LFE on this blu ray track and scenes like the train crash needed it to be fully convincing IMO. I figured it was just an artistic decision for whatever reason, but either way the track was not as convincing as it should have been during these few moments due to the very thin low end. Awesome otherwise though and the ambient nature of the track was excellent!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #143 of 183 Old 03-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
So it probably would make no difference in your workflow when you mixed the film, but did you watch it in 3D while doing the mix?

It seemed very synced to object location as the camera moved. But with only a few speakers I'm sure that's more psychological then reality based.

Quote:

buytme
post #144 of 183 Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I finally watched this and found it terminally dull. The George Melies stuff was mildly enjoyable but seemed shoe-horned in to the main (extremely dull) story. There's nothing here technique-wise that would suggest it was directed by Martin Scorsese. It was well put together, yes, but any number of journeyman directors could have made this there so little personal style. The comic timing was way off too.

I hate saying this as I very much wanted to enjoy this "Martin Scorsese Masterpiece" but it's my least favorite of his films by far (and I have seen all of them).
post #145 of 183 Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

So it probably would make no difference in your workflow when you mixed the film, but did you watch it in 3D while doing the mix?

It seemed very synced to object location as the camera moved. But with only a few speakers I'm sure that's more psychological then reality based.

No- we didn't mix to a 3d picture.

We were able to screen early on and see what would need special attention. Then, as we edited, we were able to highlight those areas. Mr Scorsese had specific things that he had shot during production and wanted treated a certain way. Then, during the mix, we were able to finesse things like panning.

We did get one 3d screening toward the end. But for the most part we were very close

It's a processe
post #146 of 183 Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No- we didn't mix to a 3d picture.

We were able to screen early on and see what would need special attention. Then, as we edited, we were able to highlight those areas. Mr Scorsese had specific things that he had shot during production and wanted treated a certain way. Then, during the mix, we were able to finesse things like panning.

We did get one 3d screening toward the end. But for the most part we were very close

It's a processe

Thank you for posting....very appreciated.
It's great to have people "in the industry" come on the forum and share their expertise with us amateurs.

post #147 of 183 Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's great to have people "in the industry" come on the forum and share their expertise with us amateurs.

I agree

Frank

post #148 of 183 Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Anytime- any questions I can answer---
post #149 of 183 Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched in 3D as I believe it was intended to be seen. While it's not a masterpiece I thought it was like a rare gem.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #150 of 183 Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

While it's not a masterpiece I thought it was like a rare gem.

Agreed.

Tonite I re-watched Cinema Paradiso; it is the perfect companion movie to Hugo.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095765/
Strongly recommended as a follow-up (or opening act) to a Hugo viewing.

As fine as Hugo is, it is not in the same emotional league as CP (IMO).

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page