Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have been looking to rent LOTR EE on BD and have not found it anywhere. I already purchased EE DVDs and also the originals on BD. Therefore, I did not want to buy the movies yet again.

I do want to watch the the EE once more on BD if possible. Any ideas on where a rental may be available?

I have checked Netflix and the Blockbuster rental machine in my grocery store without any luck.

Thanks,
T.Wells
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Wells View Post

Hello,

I have been looking to rent LOTR EE on BD and have not found it anywhere. I already purchased EE DVDs and also the originals on BD. Therefore, I did not want to buy the movies yet again.

I do want to watch the the EE once more on BD if possible. Any ideas on where a rental may be available?

I have checked Netflix and the Blockbuster rental machine in my grocery store without any luck.

Thanks,
T.Wells

It seems to evade most chain rental locations. I looked high and low for the EE Blu-ray and never found it... so I just bought the set and never looked back. I'm happy, even if FOTR is a little green. You might try your luck with your local rental businesses... if any are left.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
peter jackson has now gone more greedy than lucas. at least you can rent the s.w. on bd. but not lotr ee bd. peter jackson and w.b. are going to make your buy the damn green thing if you want to see it.

i'll just watch the versions on my dvr.

by the way, where is the rage over this, as to me, this is worse than anything lucas has done with s.w.

neflixis our nemesis
post #4 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

peter jackson has now gone more greedy than lucas. at least you can rent the s.w. on bd. but not lotr ee bd. peter jackson and w.b. are going to make your buy the damn green thing if you want to see it.

i'll just watch the versions on my dvr.

by the way, where is the rage over this, as to me, this is worse than anything lucas has done with s.w.

Lucas has denied ALL access to the original theatrical films whereas it's simply difficult to rent the non-theatrical extended versions of LOTR. Not even in the same ballpark.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Lucas has denied ALL access to the original theatrical films whereas it's simply difficult to rent the non-theatrical extended versions of LOTR. Not even in the same ballpark.

All? I own them on more than one format
post #6 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

i have one format of the original theatrical release for eps 4-6.

neflixis our nemesis
post #7 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I was hoping I wouldn't have to clarify that I'm referring only to Blu-ray... on the Blu-ray forum...
post #8 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:

I was hoping I wouldn't have to clarify that I'm referring only to Blu-ray... on the Blu-ray forum...

Maybe not say ALL access...
post #9 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Actually the Star Wars Trilogy GOUT 2006 Bonus DVD's are still available to rent on Netflix, all 3 movies.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not talking about DVD or Laserdisc or VHS, only Blu-ray. I know it's really fun to pick apart posts and take everything as literally as possible, but try to restrain yourselves. To be as clear as possible: whereas both LOTR and LOTREE are available on Blu-ray so that consumers may choose which version to purchase, Lucas only allows the modified versions on Blu-ray, giving consumers no choice. (other than the choice not to buy it) Lucas has denied ALL access to the original theatrical films on Blu-ray.

In that way, Jackson and Lucas are in no way comparable.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not talking about DVD or Laserdisc or VHS, only Blu-ray. I know it's really fun to pick apart posts and take everything as literally as possible, but try to restrain yourselves. To be as clear as possible: whereas both LOTR and LOTREE are available on Blu-ray so that consumers may choose which version to purchase, Lucas only allows the modified versions on Blu-ray, giving consumers no choice. (other than the choice not to buy it) Lucas has denied ALL access to the original theatrical films on Blu-ray.

In that way, Jackson and Lucas are in no way comparable.

it just bothers me that i can't rent the ee br. no reason for that other than to make you buy green transfers.

neflixis our nemesis
post #12 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it just bothers me that i can't rent the ee br. no reason for that other than to make you buy green transfers.

If it makes you feel any better, only one third of the set is green... and it's not terrible.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think that a studio can prevent the rental of any movies that a studio offers up for sale. The rental company may have to buy it at retail, instead of getting some pre-negotiated prices, but it could be done.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post

I don't think that a studio can prevent the rental of any movies that a studio offers up for sale. The rental company may have to buy it at retail, instead of getting some pre-negotiated prices, but it could be done.

Pretty sure that's illegal. Rental copies cost significantly more than retail copies, even if they have extras stripped out. In many cases, the rental store is just renting the copies from the studio/distrubutor. The ones that they buy from the distributor eventually make their way into the "bargain bin" after desire for the movie fades. There are also certain licenses you need to have to run a rental business, varying by area. Because money is changing hands for each home viewing of the rental copy, the rules are similar to movie theaters. They pay a fortune for the right to show the film to thousands of people. Rental copies just work on a smaller scale.

One does not simply rent out movies.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM

Liked: 54
Quote:

Pretty sure that's illegal. Rental copies cost significantly more than retail copies, even if they have extras stripped out. In many cases, the rental store is just renting the copies from the studio/distrubutor. The ones that they buy from the distributor eventually make their way into the "bargain bin" after desire for the movie fades. There are also certain licenses you need to have to run a rental business, varying by area. Because money is changing hands for each home viewing of the rental copy, the rules are similar to movie theaters. They pay a fortune for the right to show the film to thousands of people. Rental copies just work on a smaller scale.

One does not simply rent out movies.

Wrong. Google First Sale Doctrine for more info...
post #16 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

Wrong. Google First Sale Doctrine for more info...

I think it's more complicated than that. A friend of mine who owned a small video rental store in the late 90s showed me told me all about it and showed me the order forms - very expensive (about $30 per DVD if I remember correctly). If something changed between then and now, then I apologize for giving false information.

EDIT: I just went online and looked around for some wholesale DVD rental suppliers and it looks like prices of $6 are possible for newer films when bought in bulk, but I can't find anything for brand new Blu-ray releases. Seems like if it truly were as easy as buying some retail copies of LOTR EE, there would be plenty of rental stores renting them. Maybe they just assume that anyone interested in watching EE is probably a hardcore fan and will buy it anyway? I doubt highly that anybody out there is thinking that people would simply rent it to verify the A/V quality before purchasing. Less than 1% of customers?
post #17 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM

Liked: 54
Quote:

I think it's more complicated than that.

It really isn't. And it happens all the time. When I rented Hangover II from my local Blockbuster store on its release day, I watched the clerk behind the counter open a retail copy with a Besy Buy sticker on it and make up a rental box/sleeve before renting the copy to me. This is how companies like Redbox (and now Blockbuster) are getting around the rental delays the studios have implemented. It's also why you see signs up at Wal-mart and Best Buy that say that there's a limit of five copies per customer for new releases.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it makes you feel any better, only one third of the set is green... and it's not terrible.

not for $75.00 which is what amazon is charging.

neflixis our nemesis
post #19 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

I think it's more complicated than that. A friend of mine who owned a small video rental store in the late 90s showed me told me all about it and showed me the order forms - very expensive (about $30 per DVD if I remember correctly). If something changed between then and now, then I apologize for giving false information.

The pricing was a hold over from VHS. It's long since been eliminated.

Warner and Disney have fully given their permission to Redbox and rental chains to purchase movies at retail and rent them out b/c of the 30/56 day delay. I can pull the quotes if anyone wants them.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:

not for $75.00 which is what amazon is charging.

Glad I saw this and googled what the LOTR green thing was about. Is it really as bad as the youtube video? This would be one of the few BD sets I'd consider purchasing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwcm-73kZE8
post #21 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dude View Post

Glad I saw this and googled what the LOTR green thing was about. Is it really as bad as the youtube video? This would be one of the few BD sets I'd consider purchasing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwcm-73kZE8

As discussed ad nauseum in the official thread, the comparison video greatly exaggerates the perceived difference, making it appear much more intense than it really is. Viewed on its own, your brain quickly adjusts for the tint. Most people don't even see it if they weren't aware of it from the outset. Obviously YMMV. Mine did and I notice the tint, but it doesn't affect my ability to recommend the purchase to friends and family.

The only other option at this point is to wait for the rumored Ultimate Edition due out after the Hobbit is wrapped.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page