Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
joined free netflix (again) for a month and this was my first rental just to re-watch and confirm what i saw the first time.

thankfully i was prepared for the rather unimaginative plot this time around, but was looking for artifacts.

boom, first scene, the prison escape, artifacts all around. can't be missed. also visible in the tunnel scenes.

seriously they are right there. can't miss it. as scott and rdgrimes have posted there is something up with one of these version of the disk.

don't know how some can post its reference or no artifacts noticed when they're clear as a bell the 2 times i've watched it.

to be clear, the great majority of the flick is a well done transfer and looks great, it just in dark scenes or scenes with a lot of motion that its noticeable.

neflixis our nemesis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the Amazon version

Disc label is ARIES_DISC1_AC
Total size 44,121,480,928
00800.M2TS 37,345,333,248
post #273 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The rental version has a main M2TS file size of 38.2 GB, not sure what the retail versions are. The total disc volume on the rental is 39GB. That probably tells you more than random running bit rate reports, since different versions might have different audio tracks muxed into the stream.

So what's the M2TS file size on the retail versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

I have the Amazon version

Disc label is ARIES_DISC1_AC
Total size 44,121,480,928
00800.M2TS 36,470,052

I'm not sure I am interpreting these numbers correctly, but it seems that the total disc size of the Amazon version is 44.1GB and the MT2S file size is 36.47GB. Is this correct? These numbers seem a bit different than the numbers obtained for the rental disc, but I cannot tell whether they are significant or not.

Are these numbers suggesting that the movie on the two discs are different?

Cal68

Cal68
post #274 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

joined free netflix (again) for a month and this way my first rental just to re-watch and confirm what i saw the first time.

thankfully i was prepared for the rather unimaginative plot this time around, but was looking for artifacts.

boom, first scene, the prison escape, artifacts all around. can't be missed. also visible in the tunnel scenes.

seriously they are right there. can't miss it. as scott and rdgrimes have posted there is something up with one of these version of the disk.

don't know how some can post its reference or no artifacts noticed when they're clear as a bell the 2 times i've watched it.

to be clear, the great majority of the flick is a well done transfer and looks great, it just in dark scenes or scenes with a lot of motion that its noticeable.

Good to know I wasn't crazy.

Most annoying scenes with the artifacts are in the darkest parts of the scene where Ethan is tied to the chair talking to the arms dealer and at the very end when Ethan and... umm, Jeremy Renner's character are talking about his wife.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #275 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

I'm not sure I am interpreting these numbers correctly, but it seems that the total disc size of the Amazon version is 44.1GB and the MT2S file size is 36.47GB. Is this correct? These numbers seem a bit different than the numbers obtained for the rental disc, but I cannot tell whether they are significant or not.

Are these numbers suggesting that the movie on the two discs are different?

Cal68

36,470,052 = 34.78 GB

According to that, the Amazon release actually has a smaller file size than the rental (38.2GB) . The question remains though whether the difference is audio tracks, run time, or what.
post #276 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Why is it that none of the screen shot wizards ever seem to participate in any of the threads about discs that supposedly have horrible in-your-face artifacting all over the screen?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #277 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Bass Enabler

Good question.

Maybe if this was Lord of the Mission Judgement Day: The Phantom Impossible

Just maybe.... maybe.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #278 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hmm, watched it over the weekend, and didn't notice anything amiss - but I wasn't specifically looking for it, I'll check out the mentioned scenes.
post #279 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Hmm, watched it over the weekend, and didn't notice anything amiss - but I wasn't specifically looking for it, I'll check out the mentioned scenes.

Yeah... I wasn't either but there it was. Which version did you get, Brad? Wish I could have made it out to meet this past week. Would have been nice to meet you and check out your system.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #280 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Why is it that none of the screen shot wizards ever seem to participate in any of the threads about discs that supposedly have horrible in-your-face artifacting all over the screen?

Keep on trolling that subject perhaps it will bolster your subjective evaluations that later are proven to be faulty by objective means.

It would certainly be beneficial if someone could take some captures of any scenes in question.

I will adjust my settings and see if increasing my brightness level will reveal these artifacts. Perhaps it is settings dependent or an issue with certain video chains?

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #281 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
i would gladly post screenshots if i had the disk.

i put my rental back in the mail this morning to nf.

neflixis our nemesis
post #282 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Bass Enabler

It's worse in motion, really. I'd load up a screenshot but I don't want to upload it wrong and skew the whole thing.

Oh wait... I don't have any BD software to use so I can't do it anyway.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #283 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK. Watched again and still no artifacts etc. I wonder if the ones that are having picture issues are viewing on projection setups? Anyone having problems viewing on plasma, LCD etc.?
post #284 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Good question.

Maybe if this was Lord of the Mission Judgement Day: The Phantom Impossible

Just maybe.... maybe.

Funny..but, true.
post #285 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The question remains though whether the difference is audio tracks, run time, or what.

Not really. The M2TS size matches the Aussie info, so the 3-disc has 30.34Mbps AVC and the 2-disc has 26.75Mbps AVC with identical audio tracks. (Thanks cal87)
post #286 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

OK. Watched again and still no artifacts etc. I wonder if the ones that are having picture issues are viewing on projection setups? Anyone having problems viewing on plasma, LCD etc.?

Yes. I'm using a projection system but my black levels are all set correctly. This is the first and only BD to have this issue.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #287 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 44
Could we get some time points on the artifacts at least ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #288 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I corrected my post above
The M2TS file is 37,345,333,248 = 36,470,052 KB
I don't recall any of these artifacts
post #289 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Could we get some time points on the artifacts at least ?

Art

I mentioned several scenes already. Just watch. It's not frames worth. It's whole seconds that last for the whole scene. You can't miss em.

But okay...

I first noticed in the tunnels in the beginning, during the part where Hunt is escaping the Kremlin, during the part where the Russian guy is looking at his tv and talking to his wife, during the part after the SUV attack where they are in the trainyard, the part where Hunt is tied to a chair talking to the arms dealer and at the very end where Cruise and Renner are talking on the waterfront about Hunt's wife.

It's not just one frame here and there, it's continuous through these scenes. You just have to have your eyes open and look at the shadowy parts of the frame. I was surprised not to see these kinds of artifacts during fast sequences or during the sandstorm. The disk is mostly flawless except for these parts that have big dark blocky things bouncing around when people are talking. It's annoying.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #290 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Count me lucky. I have an Amazon-purchased BD, and watched it projected by JVC Friday night in CIH on 122" wide screen from 15'. I saw none of the artifacts and I have dailies-viewing experienced eyeballs. I was pretty much blown away by the images overall. My only criticism was of a couple of day interior shots during the diamonds for Russian launch codes sequence, but I think this was related to a camera lens issue.

Sorry to hear of the problems.

Freakin' amazing mix, too.
post #291 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Count me lucky. I have an Amazon-purchased BD, and watched it projected by JVC Friday night in CIH on 122" wide screen from 15'. I saw none of the artifacts and I have dailies-viewing experienced eyeballs. I was pretty much blown away by the images overall. My only criticism was of a couple of day interior shots during the diamonds for Russian launch codes sequence, but I think this was related to a camera lens issue.

Sorry to hear of the problems.

Freakin' amazing mix, too.

Heeeyyy! Cam Man! Good to hear from you.

So you didn't get the 3-disk version, I see it? Okay. This is good to note. So far most who got the 3-disk didn't notice the blocking that I did in these shadowy parts but you say it looks good but yours is a different disk. Not that I would want the higher bitrate version to be screwed up.. I'd like to know what the eff is wrong with mine.

The mix on this is awesome! Do you have 7.1 at home Cam Man?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #292 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

I enjoyed the film, but I was truly shocked at how much Cruise went out on a limb - or rather skyscraper - for this film. He was truly up there - on safety wires, which were erased via CGI but 120+ stories swinging around. Insane. But in a cool way.

That 2nd disc of features in the Best Buy excl set is a treasure trove. Great stuff. I sat slack-jawed - I thought a lot of the Burj Khalifa sequence was seamless cgi or face replacement on a stunt man.

+1. My exact sentiments. Tom Cruise may be a little whacky in his private life, but his courage was amazing (as actors go). I bow to the movie overall as an action movie. I was on the A-list of guys working a lot of them in the 90s and 00s, but they all pale to this one. Yes, much implausible, but this is very well crafted!

One of my favorite parts of the extras was the last thing shot which was a huge exterior blue screen set (in Vancouver) which was the courtyard in front of the Kremlin when it starts to blow. Cruise is cable rigged and on action starts hauling ass across the courtyard led by the Skycam rig...with mortar/pot explosions "chasing" him. At the last, the cable gives him an impressive yank that "blows" him into the air as the explosions reach him. I can tell you that kind of day is really fun to work on. Cruise looked as though he enjoyed it as well.
post #293 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heeeyyy! Cam Man! Good to hear from you.

So you didn't get the 3-disk version, I see it? Okay. This is good to note. So far most who got the 3-disk didn't notice the blocking that I did in these shadowy parts but you say it looks good but yours is a different disk. Not that I would want the higher bitrate version to be screwed up.. I'd like to know what the eff is wrong with mine.

The mix on this is awesome! Do you have 7.1 at home Cam Man?

Greetings!

Yes, mine is the two disc set; BD and DVD.

Definately on the 7.1. I always watch features with DynamicEQ because I listen at about -12dB. It was the best 7.1 mix I've heard, but this would be a great mix in 5.1, as well. Even in quieter scenes, the nuances and abundance of "presence," as the sound guys call it, was very realistic IMO.

I used to have boys-movie-night screenings, but we've kind of gotten away from that lately (hen-pecked or p-whipped...cone of shame). I think this one may be the one we have to round the gang back up for, and tell the girls to go play banco.
post #294 of 419 Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

I enjoyed the film, but I was truly shocked at how much Cruise went out on a limb - or rather skyscraper - for this film. He was truly up there - on safety wires, which were erased via CGI but 120+ stories swinging around. Insane. But in a cool way.

That 2nd disc of features in the Best Buy excl set is a treasure trove. Great stuff. I sat slack-jawed - I thought a lot of the Burj Khalifa sequence was seamless cgi or face replacement on a stunt man.

I'm scared to death of heights...unless I've got a good rig and the stunt team. Once I know I can trust them and their rigs, and you have a mission, it's not bad. I've shot a lot of hand-held standing on helicopter skids doing action sequences, but with a very good rig and good picks. Then I just totally give myself to the "mission" and have a blast. See photos.

But what Cruise was doing was freakin' amazing.
LL
LL
post #295 of 419 Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

36,470,052 = 34.78 GB

According to that, the Amazon release actually has a smaller file size than the rental (38.2GB) . The question remains though whether the difference is audio tracks, run time, or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Not really. The M2TS size matches the Aussie info, so the 3-disc has 30.34Mbps AVC and the 2-disc has 26.75Mbps AVC with identical audio tracks. (Thanks cal87)

Quote:

I corrected my post above
The M2TS file is 37,345,333,248 = 36,470,052 KB
I don't recall any of these artifacts

Thanks Guys. I think that I am just going to buy the movie where it is least expensive since I rarely watch any of the extras anyway.

I'm still trying to figure out whether the actual movie on discs bought (or rented) has different file sizes and bit rates because I've always assumed that the movie on the different discs is the same and any difference between 1, 2 or 3 disc sets is because of the extras. Do we know if this type of difference is common or is MI4 a unique example?

Cal68

Cal68
post #296 of 419 Old 04-25-2012, 02:39 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

i have the amazon version

disc label is aries_disc1_ac
total size 44,121,480,928
00800.m2ts 37,345,333,248

+1

Did you pre-order yours as well?

Quote:

Yeah. Thanks.

Wasn't looking for something to "bitch" about. It was in my face. Still enjoyed the movie.

+1

Overall, very good quality. The audio mixing is superb, with a few minor visual artifacts noted - nothing to whine about and review over+over+over again. Very few BRs come out entirely "perfect", visually. The movie itself is great. Everyone move on, and enjoy the show.
post #297 of 419 Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

But what Cruise was doing was freakin' amazing.

I watched the Dubai featurette and I still wonder how he was able to do this and smile at the same time. Like you said, regardless of what he's doing in private, I admire him for what he did for this film. Of course people will say they used harnesses, protection and stuff, it's still a life-threatening experience to say the least. It wouldn't have been the same with cgi that's for sure. Hats off to mr. Cruise.
post #298 of 419 Old 04-25-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would also like to see some screenshot comparisons between the BB and standard versions, and am surprised that the usual suspects have not chimed in (given the high-profile nature of the release.) I have the BB version, and did not notice anything, but then I was not looking for it. I am also not watching on a FP system (mine is a 65" plasma watched at about 10'... and yes, I am aware that it is further than the 1.5xSH rule.) If there is a problem with the BB version, we need quantitative data to back it up, and not just qualitative observations by a handful of eagle-eyed individuals. THEN, we can petition the studio to fix the problem (it's not like it's Warner...)

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #299 of 419 Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I did not notice any issues with my Netflix rental, but I was pretty distracted with the movie/audio so I might have missed it This was one of the best action movies I have seen in a while. My stomach actually dropped a bit when he stepped out on the skyscraper!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #300 of 419 Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I did not notice any issues with my Netflix rental, but I was pretty distracted with the movie/audio so I might have missed it This was one of the best action movies I have seen in a while. My stomach actually dropped a bit when he stepped out on the skyscraper!

Same. The movie had some nice LFE too.

Frank

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page