Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 419 Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
No compression/blocking issues here. BB exclusive, watched on a fat PS3.

Personally, I'm more bothered by what looked like low level filtering in some areas.
Nothing major, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 419 Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Which scenes are filmed in IMAX? The only scenes i noticed an increase in detail was the scenes in dubai.

It's crazy how shooting in 70mm gives that much of jump in clairity. Same resolution on bluray, but the 70mm shots are night and day from the 35mm shots. Source, source, source, source, source!

Pretty much the entire beginning along with the 'flashback' of the mission. The prison break was too, iirc. Can't remember if the Kremlin sequence was. The Dubai sequence was pretty much all IMAX once Hunt steps up to the window. After that, my memory gets fuzzy but I do remember the parking ...thing sequence was definitely IMAX.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #333 of 419 Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Guys doing screenshots.... if you have the 3-disk version.... load up the end where Cruise and Renner are talking about Hunt's wife. Or load up the part where Hunt is tied to the chair and talking to the arms dealer. All the shadow and dark areas are loaded with chunky blocks of crap.

Like I said ,give time points else this is going to be a waste of time for the guys doing the caps.

If it is blocking artifacts it will be visible in individual frames.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #334 of 419 Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Like I said ,give time points else this is going to be a waste of time for the guys doing the caps.

If it is blocking artifacts it will be visible in individual frames.

Art

I named the scenes about five or six times now. I don't have the disk on hand while I'm posting to get the exact "time". Just cue up the scene.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #335 of 419 Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Not to go completely off-topic here, but I absolutely loved Frailty. Frailty was actually the film I chose to write about for my final paper in one of my cinematography classes when I was in college. I thought it was beautifully shot. Hats off to you, good sir!

Thanks for the kind words. BTW, the BD is of excellent quality and very faithful to the original. Back on topic.
post #336 of 419 Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsather View Post

Saw the movie in IMAX on January 2nd this year. Unbelievable is all I can say, when he steps out of the building it was like going over the top of a rollercoaster. A lot of gasps in the theater. While the screen was enormous, I miss the clarity of Blu-ray at the theaters. I've watched it twice on my Panny 55" plasma. Love it.

Are you familiar with the quality of home theater projectors these days, especially with Blu-Ray? I have a JVC RS55 projector and screened the scene you mentioned for guests recently and, despite that they all own flat panels and Blu-Ray players, they were absolutely blown away by the sharpness and detail of the image, and that was at over 9 1/2 wide!

In other words, to a certain degree in home theater these days, you can have both: an immersive image size and incredible vividness and clarity.
post #337 of 419 Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Are you familiar with the quality of home theater projectors these days, especially with Blu-Ray? I have a JVC RS55 projector and screened the scene you mentioned for guests recently and, despite that they all own flat panels and Blu-Ray players, they were absolutely blown away by the sharpness and detail of the image, and that was at over 9 1/2 wide!

In other words, to a certain degree in home theater these days, you can have both: an immersive image size and incredible vividness and clarity.

I think it speaks also to the abysmal quality of most theatre experiences as well. My closest theater is just sad. And it's a newer theatre. But every screen is dirty. The bulbs are set very dim. The judder is just crazy.

I WANT to be a film fan, but I can't be, because the theatre experience is just abysmal. If I were in Los Angeles, and had access to the best theatres, great, but most of us live in cities with mediocre theatres.

For better or worse, home theater with modern equipment, is almost always a superior experience in every way, save the size of the screen. And quite frankly, viewing a film on a screen 30' wide is not always desirable, much less necessary.
post #338 of 419 Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Which scenes are filmed in IMAX? The only scenes i noticed an increase in detail was the scenes in dubai.

It's crazy how shooting in 70mm gives that much of jump in clairity. Same resolution on bluray, but the 70mm shots are night and day from the 35mm shots. Source, source, source, source, source!

+1. Source, source, source. The Imax scenes in The Dark Knight were fantastic as well! I wish cost could permit for more 70mm films.
post #339 of 419 Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Def_Boss View Post

I think it speaks also to the abysmal quality of most theatre experiences as well. My closest theater is just sad. And it's a newer theatre. But every screen is dirty. The bulbs are set very dim. The judder is just crazy.

I WANT to be a film fan, but I can't be, because the theatre experience is just abysmal. If I were in Los Angeles, and had access to the best theatres, great, but most of us live in cities with mediocre theatres.

For better or worse, home theater with modern equipment, is almost always a superior experience in every way, save the size of the screen. And quite frankly, viewing a film on a screen 30' wide is not always desirable, much less necessary.

I hear you.

I've been lucky to have lived all my life in a great movie city (Toronto) which has always had some amazing movie theaters. I still often prefer the movie-going experience..for the "experience" and social aspects.
post #340 of 419 Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 PM

If you can visit a great theatre, no question, it's amazing. I saw Revenge of the Sith at arclight in hollywood--phenomenal. Seeing the geeks come out with their light sabers was a treat too.

But here's my question: why is judder so incredibly bad at the theatre? In films like avatar and ghost protocol, it's incredibly distracting at the theatre, but extremely well controlled on a 60 hz lcd tv...
post #341 of 419 Old 04-27-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I named the scenes about five or six times now. I don't have the disk on hand while I'm posting to get the exact "time". Just cue up the scene.

Sorry ! I missed that you no longer had the disc for reference.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #342 of 419 Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

it's incredibly distracting at the theatre, but extremely well controlled on a 60 hz lcd tv...

It's not controlled on a tv; with a modern transfer (or DI), it's literally non-existent.

I don't feel special...
post #343 of 419 Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Yeah, received my Amazon delivery Wednesday and the Pavlov effect is in high gear! My girl and I watched this on the local Mega Screen and were on the edge of our seats the whole time. I'm an MI fan and the nostalgia feel of the first one aside, this one was easily the best of the four IMO. All she could say was "I wonder what it will sound like in your theater?" Well, the clock is ticking because I'm having a screening tonight with a few other friends who have never really experienced HD sight and sound (believe it or not). Well, they're going to get a big dose of it via a Denon 3808ci to Polk RT20p towers from a ps3 slim on a 65" Mit at 7 feet.
post #344 of 419 Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

+1. Source, source, source. The Imax scenes in The Dark Knight were fantastic as well! I wish cost could permit for more 70mm films.

It's not just cost. IMAX cameras have their own problems that standard cameras don't have.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #345 of 419 Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

It's not just cost. IMAX cameras have their own problems that standard cameras don't have.

Yea..but that picture sure does transfer NICE to blu ray.
post #346 of 419 Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

It's not controlled on a tv; with a modern transfer (or DI), it's literally non-existent.

I have a 32" 60 hz tv, so I still see some. A vast improvement over a theatre viewing in this particular aspect of the viewing experience for sure, but not non-existent.
post #347 of 419 Old 04-28-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Received the UK steelbook today, it's contents mirror the standard US 2-disc release. Compared with the US Best Buy release and they look identical to me.
post #348 of 419 Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
I would take shots but the UK disc has no issues.

Also to the person that said I was banned......
post #349 of 419 Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1733

Cliff over at BR.com took some pictures of what artifacts his setup is displaying and I did not experience any of those nor any blocking in the blacks of the intro or other spots. I watched those scenes at normal playback speed and frame-by-frame; the darker scenes I increased the brightness to see if blocking would be more clearly manifested.

Perhaps there are different encodes floating around that are defective?
Or certain display chains exhibit these issues?

My own chain is: Panasonic BD65, Onkyo 805, Pioneer 111. BBE 3 disc.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #350 of 419 Old 04-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Bass Enabler

^^^^^^

The blocking artifacts I see on my copy are WAY worse than that.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #351 of 419 Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Cliff over at BR.com took some pictures of what artifacts his setup is displaying and I did not experience any of those nor any blocking in the blacks of the intro or other spots. I watched those scenes at normal playback speed and frame-by-frame; the darker scenes I increased the brightness to see if blocking would be more clearly manifested.

Odd. Those just look like some rust on the cell gate to me. It'd be interesting to see it in motion though. I'll double check my disc (the Best Buy one) to see if I spot something similar.
post #352 of 419 Old 04-29-2012, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

He's obviously talking about the large squared yellow areas, none of which appear on my copy and believe me, I've looked.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/img4570b.jpg/
post #353 of 419 Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

He's obviously talking about the large squared yellow areas, none of which appear on my copy and believe me, I've looked.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/img4570b.jpg/

I didn't see any of that on the UK disc
post #354 of 419 Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 AM

I had a lot of artifacts on my Sony BDP SX 37 from Costco, with the Best Buy three disk version. I tried the disk on my original PS3 and it played fine without any artifacts or macro blocking. I have come across a disk or two before that the 37 had a problem with and the PS3 did not. Avatar was one and I can't remember which other disks had problems. I wonder if it's something that could be corrected by a firmware update for the 37. In regards to the artifacts I'm going to guess its a compatibility problem with the disk and some players, which is why some people have problems and others don't. Does that mean the disk wasn't made to spec or some players just can't handle the disk?
post #355 of 419 Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I have a 32" 60 hz tv, so I still see some. A vast improvement over a theatre viewing in this particular aspect of the viewing experience for sure, but not non-existent.

Not on the modern transfers I was referring to, you don't.

I don't feel special...
post #356 of 419 Old 04-29-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Perhaps there are different encodes floating around that are defective?
Or certain display chains exhibit these issues?

My own chain is: Panasonic BD65, Onkyo 805, Pioneer 111. BBE 3 disc.

Best Regards
KvE

I'm not seeing the blocking/artifacts on my setup either (Panasonic BDT110 player and JVC LCoS rear projection TV). However, the photos Cliff provided clearly show the issue he is unhappy about (I wouldn't be happy either).

I decided to duplicate Cliff's two frame photos by taking photos of my TV. I posted a lengthy message at blu-ray.com:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....62#post6091562

All I see is grain shifting due to lighting/shadow changes in the scene. I guess this minor "movement" is causing havoc with some player's decoders or something.

Also, my image is decidedly more green tinted than Cliff's image. That is, if his photos are truly representative of what he is seeing with his naked eye (mine are).

Mark

Edit: It's been pointed out to me that there's no such thing as "grain shift". I realize that grain size and density doesn't shift. But the changes in lighting (or shadows) within a scene can make grain more (or less) obvious to the eye. THAT is what I believe I am seeing when I A/B my two images. Poor choice of words for my description.
post #357 of 419 Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss312 View Post

I had a lot of artifacts on my Sony BDP SX 37 from Costco, with the Best Buy three disk version. I tried the disk on my original PS3 and it played fine without any artifacts or macro blocking. I have come across a disk or two before that the 37 had a problem with and the PS3 did not. Avatar was one and I can't remember which other disks had problems. I wonder if it's something that could be corrected by a firmware update for the 37. In regards to the artifacts I'm going to guess its a compatibility problem with the disk and some players, which is why some people have problems and others don't. Does that mean the disk wasn't made to spec or some players just can't handle the disk?

I'm wondering if its a spec issue or even a newer encode that's acting buggy with some players?? Whatever the problem, its definitely tracing back to the players.
post #358 of 419 Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Liked: 10
Is anyone seeing macroblocking when it fades up from black to a close up of Ethan's face in the hospital after the Kremlin bombing? The fade up from black before it resolves on Hunt's face is riddled with macro blocking.

That is where I first noticed it and after re-watching the entire movie looking for other instances, this was by far the most noticeable to me.

I am seeing macro blocking at other points in the movie, but I feel as if I really have to look for it. Not so with the scene mentioned above. I actually said WTF, and had to reverse and watch it again it was so noticeable.

Watched the BB Edition on an Oppo BDP93 at 110" using an Anthem LTX300V LCOS projector.
post #359 of 419 Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by show View Post

Is anyone seeing macroblocking when it fades up from black to a close up of Ethan's face in the hospital after the Kremlin bombing? The fade up from black before it resolves on Hunt's face is riddled with macro blocking.

That is where I first noticed it and after re-watching the entire movie looking for other instances, this was by far the most noticeable to me.

I am seeing macro blocking at other points in the movie, but I feel as if I really have to look for it. Not so with the scene mentioned above. I actually said WTF, and had to reverse and watch it again it was so noticeable.

Watched the BB Edition on an Oppo BDP93 at 110" using an Anthem LTX300V LCOS projector.

I see banding in half a dozen spots and a bit of blocking in the Kremlin sequence. Don't exactly remember the time codes.

Blu-ray : 340
post #360 of 419 Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Presented without comment, Cliff's photos along with screenshots of the same frames from the regular edition. He indicated he has the Best Buy one.

http://imageshack.us/f/827/img4568b.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/815/img4569b.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/214/img4570b.jpg/

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page