Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 419 Old 05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I watched this last week and saw quite a bit of macro blocking in backgrounds. It was fairly easy to see in the beginning prison scenes in the background and in the hospital after the explosion in the backgrounds. Overall this is a great looking BD though, just has some issues here and there.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 419 Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very interesting. I watched it yesterday. I like the scene in Dubai.
post #393 of 419 Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by show View Post

31:30 to 31:36. This is the worst instance of macro blocking that I saw. It is the fade up from black to a closeup of Hunt's face in the hospital after the Kremlin bombing.

Please let me know if you see it on your copy. Mine is the Best Buy exclusive.

I am using an Oppo BDP93 and an Anthem LTX300V LCOS projector at 110".

Well this is weird. On a whim, I decided to exchange my Mission Impossible BD for another at Best Buy. Lo and behold, the macro blocking that I described above is not on my new copy! Perhaps there is a bad batch of these discs.
post #394 of 419 Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

this is such a weird issue. enough reports to give it credance, but no clear
explanation.

I'd have thought fades have always been an Achilles heel for high-compression codecs. It's not equally busted on all movies, but it certainly is an area that always needs particular attention in any given production. Some projects get this attention, and other times a bad fade "gets through" on a project.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #395 of 419 Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 403
It wasn't just fades that showed macroblocking, but shadows as well. I haven't seen macroblocking this bad since the DVD days.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #396 of 419 Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

It wasn't just fades that showed macroblocking, but shadows as well. I haven't seen macroblocking this bad since the DVD days.

That sounds as bad as mine. Never once have I seen such blocking on a Blu-ray until this disc.

Hope it's just from a bad batch or something... I dunno.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #397 of 419 Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:

Well this is weird. On a whim, I decided to exchange my Mission Impossible BD for another at Best Buy. Lo and behold, the macro blocking that I described above is not on my new copy! Perhaps there is a bad batch of these discs.

Well, I have egg on my face.

I checked this again last night in absolute darkness and the macro blocking is still there. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.
post #398 of 419 Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I watched this again with a full theater at a party last night. I did not see blocking at any point and no driop outs in the audio either.

Can I get some time points to look for the blocking ?

Art

+1. I still have it , so I'll check again.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #399 of 419 Old 05-11-2012, 05:06 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I watched this again with a full theater at a party last night. I did not see blocking at any point and no driop outs in the audio either.

Can I get some time points to look for the blocking ?

Art

I have to admit i don't remember any audio dropouts.

Frank

post #400 of 419 Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I watched it last night, stunning picture. I did not notice any blocking or dropouts.
post #401 of 419 Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Watched the Best Buy exclusive version again (3rd time) last night. This time projected in 1080i (Sharp LCD projector) on a 110" screen. No blocking, no artifacts, no audio dropouts. Stunning picture and audio quality from beginning to end.

Mark

post #402 of 419 Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Is anyone seeing macroblocking when it fades up from black to a close up of Ethan's face in the hospital after the Kremlin bombing? The fade up from black before it resolves on Hunt's face is riddled with macro blocking.reverse and watch it again it was so noticeable.

Watched the BB Edition on an Oppo BDP93 at 110" using an Anthem LTX300V LCOS projector.

I rewatched that scene last night several times, including in slow motion through the fade. No blocking whatsoever. Just pure solid black (or as black as a PJ can do).

There must be a bad batch out there, for some to have this issue, and many of us do not.

AE7000 480hz 3D PJ, 106" High Power 2.4 gain screen, 9' seating distance.
post #403 of 419 Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
there must be a bad batch out there.

only explanation i can come up with.

neflixis our nemesis
post #404 of 419 Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I watched the Netflix rental of this movie last night and it was fabulous picture quality from start to finish.
post #405 of 419 Old 06-23-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by show View Post

31:30 to 31:36. This is the worst instance of macro blocking that I saw. It is the fade up from black to a closeup of Hunt's face in the hospital after the Kremlin bombing.

Please let me know if you see it on your copy. Mine is the Best Buy exclusive.

I am using an Oppo BDP93 and an Anthem LTX300V LCOS projector at 110".

Disc for sure.. no issues for me on that scene. I have the same player +Sony Vw1000

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #406 of 419 Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I did not like this movie at all. By far, the worst of the series.
post #407 of 419 Old 07-10-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I did not like this movie at all. By far, the worst of the series.
I didn't think it was great but I did enjoy it. And it's sooooo much better than the disasterpiece of MIssion: Impossible II. I couldn't be happier that Jon Woo is making movies outside of Hollywood again. M:i-II was everything that's bad about Woo's direction combined with a bad Hollywood script arranged around the stunts that Cruise wanted in the film all congealed into a disgusting mess. Just thinking about it makes me want to go watch Red Cliff to wash the taste out of my mouth.
post #408 of 419 Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just watched this. It looked and sounded great. Demo material all the way. This is the only MI movie I own, and the only one I've ever really seen, thanks to Brad Bird. I figured if anyone could pull off a great spy action movie, it would be him. It was entertaining, for what it was. My biggest problem is that for all the big action sequences, there was zero tension. None of the leads ever seemed in danger at all, nor did the world, which was purportedly at stake.

post #409 of 419 Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Now go and watch M:I:III.
post #410 of 419 Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I really enjoyed Ghost Protocol when watching the Blu-ray. I don't dig the flimsy story at all, so I just gave myself over to the nutty action sequences and had a hell of a time. And in a roundabout sorta way it's the closest one to the template of the TV show, because we rarely learned a great deal about the villains in them either. The team has a task to accomplish and them knowing the bad guy is completely irrelevant, all they know is that they have to stop him. The more personal the involvement the higher emotional stakes, to be sure. MI3 is proof of that. But at least Ghost Protocol doesn't end with an astonishingly cheesy shot of the team celebrating.
post #411 of 419 Old 07-14-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

I really enjoyed Ghost Protocol when watching the Blu-ray. I don't dig the flimsy story at all, so I just gave myself over to the nutty action sequences and had a hell of a time. And in a roundabout sorta way it's the closest one to the template of the TV show, because we rarely learned a great deal about the villains in them either. The team has a task to accomplish and them knowing the bad guy is completely irrelevant, all they know is that they have to stop him. The more personal the involvement the higher emotional stakes, to be sure. MI3 is proof of that. But at least Ghost Protocol doesn't end with an astonishingly cheesy shot of the team celebrating.

A bad movie on Blu-ray is still a bad movie. And the end is set up for a another bad sequel
post #412 of 419 Old 07-14-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Yeah but the bass is CRAZY on this flick
post #413 of 419 Old 07-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Liked: 13
M:I-4 is one of the best action movies of recent years and the best spy movies in donkeys years. Miles ahead of any Bourne or recent Bond movie.
post #414 of 419 Old 07-14-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not even the best Mission: Impossible movie, IMO.
post #415 of 419 Old 07-14-2012, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just a head's up to those on the fence about the movie, starting tomorrow this is only going to be $5 during best Buy's Upgrade and Save program for a week with trade-in.
post #416 of 419 Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 AM

I liked the 3rd one the best, but I was able to snag MIP4 for only $4.99 at Best Buy (7/15) today with there trade-in program. Too good of a deal to pass up.
post #417 of 419 Old 07-21-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Problem with IM movies are the audiences type. MI1 is mostly story mystery. MI2 has almost no story and almost entirely pure action. MI3 has good balance of story and action. MI4 is heavier on action with decent amount of story.

So, entire MI movie series will never satisfy all the fans unless you are willing to watch each one for what they are.
post #418 of 419 Old 08-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

I just watch MI: Ghost Protocol last nigh on my new Sony S790. I noticed that only in the first 5 minutes (prison scene), that there was noticable macro-blocking in the green parts of the prison wall were the gaurds are. Other than that, it was a fantastic movie with excellent PQ and AQ. Was wondering if it was a player problem or Disc problem? From what I read here, it looks to be a disc problem.
post #419 of 419 Old 08-26-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
AQ and PQ is stupendous and great demo material. But as time goes on, I really hated this movie despite a deep respect for Brad Bird and what he did with the Incredibles. Technically it looked the most modern and flashy but as far as story, character, and entertainment I give it an F and IMO the worst of the series. It is incredibly shallow and never took anything serious. Esp the opening act in the prison break out where Cruise keeps looking at the camara and horsing around and this seem to go on and on and on it was a precursor to what's to come.

Same with that scene where Renner in that floating chamber where he does this 3 stooges imitation act it was ridiculous. Look, there's a fine line between adding humor to action film but to the point where they goof off and go over board is really poor film making. Another example is with Cruise in the wall climbing with the gloves, again too much goofing off.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page