Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 419 Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

Most of my friends really loved this movie.

I couldn't quite get into it. Cruise looks catatonic throughout the film, and his main selling point appears to be his willingness to totally abuse himself doing his own stuntwork. If you like watching an actor in a stupor playing the role of crash test dummy, then I guess this film will work.

I was also disappointed that Nyqvsit was cast as the villain: I was so used to seeing him as the sympathetic, courageous journalist in "dragon tattoo."

What the heck were they fighting over anyway?!? The US vs. Russia angle is several decades too late.

Die Hard 5, and all the spies in UK parliament says nope, maybe from just an american standpoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 419 Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Liked: 10
As far as the PQ, it was pretty bad at the theatre. Obviously, there was the terrible incredibly distracting judder, especially in the fight sequences in the prison. There was also a ton of grain, and low color saturation.

I was really disappointed by the picture quality considering the fact that this was a big budget release.
post #33 of 419 Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Most of my friends really loved this movie.

I couldn't quite get into it. Cruise looks catatonic throughout the film, and his main selling point appears to be his willingness to totally abuse himself doing his own stuntwork. If you like watching an actor in a stupor playing the role of crash test dummy, then I guess this film will work.

I was also disappointed that Nyqvsit was cast as the villain: I was so used to seeing him as the sympathetic, courageous journalist in "dragon tattoo."

What the heck were they fighting over anyway?!? The US vs. Russia angle is several decades too late.

Quote:

As far as the PQ, it was pretty bad at the theatre. Obviously, there was the terrible incredibly distracting judder, especially in the fight sequences in the prison. There was also a ton of grain, and low color saturation.

I was really disappointed by the picture quality considering the fact that this was a big budget release.

Sounds like you won't be buying.

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #34 of 419 Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Paramount announced the date and specs but didn't mention anything about the bluray opening up for the Imax shots.

home theater addict
post #35 of 419 Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 895
7.1 TrueHD. Is this the first M:I film to have lossless audio on BD?

Sanjay
post #36 of 419 Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

What format did you see it in, out of curiosity?
post #37 of 419 Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

7.1 TrueHD. Is this the first M:I film to have lossless audio on BD?

In the USA.. The MI Trilogy is out with lossless in HK, Scandinavia and a few other countries..

Michael

Collection:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #38 of 419 Old 02-23-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Extras added to the OP
post #39 of 419 Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Since they made a pretty big deal out of the IMAX release for this and the fact that it used real IMAX cameras AND Brad Bird's preference for large format AND the fact that they did the shifting aspect ratio for the Big Screen version of TF2, I would be pretty amazed if they didn't support a shifting aspect ratio version for this one on Blu-ray. Even if it was only available at Wal-Fart.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #40 of 419 Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Since they made a pretty big deal out of the IMAX release for this and the fact that it used real IMAX cameras AND Brad Bird's preference for large format AND the fact that they did the shifting aspect ratio for the Big Screen version of TF2, I would be pretty amazed if they didn't support a shifting aspect ratio version for this one on Blu-ray. Even if it was only available at Wal-Fart.

All info points to no, so far at least
post #41 of 419 Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That would be really on the southern side of odd.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #42 of 419 Old 02-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
They really should have one as an option. I mean, why go through all that trouble? A movie makes so much more money after theatrical release on home video. I'd like the option. I know 2.35 screen owners wouldnt but I would.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #43 of 419 Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

That would be really on the southern side of odd.

Yes, southern side of odd that a film with highly touted imax scenes would have a prospective shifting AR blu-ray release when it's been done before, by the same studio to boot. "Southern side of odd", that!
post #44 of 419 Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

They really should have one as an option. I mean, why go through all that trouble? A movie makes so much more money after theatrical release on home video. I'd like the option. I know 2.35 screen owners wouldnt but I would.

Choice is the order of the day
post #45 of 419 Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maby the 3 disc version has the IMAX scenes since disc one doesn't have any special features on it. Only the film. The 2 disc version has special features and the movie.

home theater addict
post #46 of 419 Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 PM

I'll rent it. Maybe I'll like it more during a second viewing. That didn't help Phantom Menace, but oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Sounds like you won't be buying.

Art

post #47 of 419 Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'll rent it. Maybe I'll like it more during a second viewing. That didn't help Phantom Menace, but oh well...

Did you just compare Ghost to menace????
post #48 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Just got word from one of my contacts that there will be no shifting aspect for IMAX scenes. It will be the standard theatrical release on Blu-ray only. Bummer.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #49 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Bass Enabler

Opportunity wasted.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #50 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Just got word from one of my contacts that there will be no shifting aspect for IMAX scenes. It will be the standard theatrical release on Blu-ray only. Bummer.

Maybe it's me, but why would anyone want shifting ARs in a home environment?

Seems like it would be distracting and just add black bars for portions of the movies.

I have masking and a 14' wide scope screen but still would see it as bothersome moving between aspects. I think this really only works in an Imax designed theater...

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #51 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Bass Enabler

2.35 screen owners would say that.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #52 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats bad. Really bad.

home theater addict
post #53 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Thats bad. Really bad.

Consistency ftw!
this is Paramount not Disney, the least they have to mess with the better
post #54 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I know this gets said a lot in a typical knee-jerk reactionary way. . . . but no sale.

If I'm gonna sit through Ghost Protocol again, I want my eyeballs ****ed six ways from Sunday to distract me from the poor plot, thin characterisation and daft ending.
post #55 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Personally, I'm all for it. I don't want shifting aspect ratios unless it's an intentional part of the direction and editing.
post #56 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Bass Enabler

Welll... going through the trouble of using IMAX for several full sequences, editing it with them and you know....advertising the f**k out of the fact that is has IMAX sequences seems to me like it was intentional.

Nobody is going to accidently use IMAX for their big budget Hollywood productions.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #57 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Welll... going through the trouble of using IMAX for several full sequences, editing it with them and you know....advertising the f**k out of the fact that is has IMAX sequences seems to me like it was intentional.

Nobody is going to accidently use IMAX for their big budget Hollywood productions.

I guess I'm phrasing that wrong. Accidental is certainly not a word I'd use. But outside of the IMAX advertising, it raises the question of which is the "definitive" version when it's also framed for 2.35:1. I avoided the "big screen" editions of the Transformers flicks and would have preferred a non-IMAX version of The Dark Knight (especially since it meant the 35mm sections had the IMAX DMR still present).
post #58 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

If I'm gonna sit through Ghost Protocol again, I want my eyeballs ****ed six ways from Sunday to distract me from the poor plot, thin characterisation and daft ending.

If that's what you think of the movie, why would you bother to sit through it again?
post #59 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

I guess I'm phrasing that wrong. Accidental is certainly not a word I'd use. But outside of the IMAX advertising, it raises the question of which is the "definitive" version when it's also framed for 2.35:1. I avoided the "big screen" editions of the Transformers flicks and would have preferred a non-IMAX version of The Dark Knight (especially since it meant the 35mm sections had the IMAX DMR still present).

In a perfect world (and I sure wish it was done this way) there should be a choice of the two. Would have been nice for some to have a constant AR version of TDK, Tron and the like cuz it's not for everyone. That I'm okay with. To each their own, right? But... if the filmmakers go through the trouble and expense of using these high resolution devices that just so happen to frame in a taller aspect that this version should be available to those that want it. Some see it as a gimmick and in ROTF it sort of was but I thought it really worked in TDK, Tron and this.

Just like ROTF, there should be a 'big screen edition' (dumb name, lol) available.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #60 of 419 Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I can certainly agree with that.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page