post #211 of 419 Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

We can't watch movie like MI for story. The story will always be absurd. If it not, the action wouldn't make sense. Seriously, someone will drive their cars into each other just stop the other? And get away with a minor headache? With most audience today who loves action movies, they don't want realistic story. When you get injured, you stay injured, not magically healed after a few minutes later. That's video game.

Is Redbox still renting "rental" edition Blu-rays? I read the "rental" edition uses BD 25 only which highly compress the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Def_Boss View Post

LOL, well said. This storyline is even more preposterous than most, however. The russian vs. u.s. tensions angle goes beyond being implausible to just being plain silly. It is such a transparent excuse for the action sequences (blowing things up, car chases and such), it really does insult the audience.

Can actors pushing 50 really serve as plausible action heroes? I suppose so. To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but fans of this movie are willing to overlook quite a bit it seems, for the sake of 'action.'

To me, 'action' sequences should always serve an interesting, compelling storyline. And ghost protocol's premise is so goofy, it was difficult, if not "impossible" to suspend disbelief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Well, here's the thing: Which disc did you play? The packaging on the last few titles I've gotten has been VERY odd - when you open the package all you see is the disc on the right - any sane person would just assume that's the Blu-ray without even giving it thought because you can't even SEE the disc on the left because it's covered with a paper for the digital copy. Why would anyone make the first thing you see in a package the fershluganah DVD. Anyway, my point is, maybe you played the DVD rather than the Blu. It happened to me recently on another disc - I couldn't understand all the PQ raves because what I was watching looked like an upscaled DVD - which, of course, I later found out, it was.

As for the film, well, loud and reference doesn't equal good. In fact, it's pretty terrible every step of the way. I always find it amusing when action fans can accept the most absurd plotting, awful acting, terrible writing, and stunts that no human being could ever do, but then will complain in a classic musical when people start to sing. I find people bursting into song more believable than someone leaping fifty-feet, smashing themselves on the ground, then getting up with a few scuff marks, let alone being alive. It is to laugh. And sorry, Russians and nuclear threats may have been effective in the 1960s but in 2012 if that's the best that the writers could come up with then they should perhaps look for another line of work. I also laughed out loud at the score - in Russia? Sure, just add the cliche Russian chorus. In India? Whip out the sitar. Whatever happened to real film scoring. This film felt much more like the insufferable J.J. Abrams rather than Brad Bird.

well if all redbox bds are compressed bd25s, that would certainly explain the lack of reference video i got on ghost protocol and the crappy dragon tattoo bd. i think i.m done with redbox. rented tinker, tailor on bd for the 3rd time from redbox, and every one of them wouldn't play in my panny bd 35. when i call to complain, the customer service is great and they give me credit, but their quality control is really atrocious. for all i know it could be the same disk i rented 3 times which they won't pull from their inventory cause they are too lazy or incompetent.

i guess i'm forced back to nf for my rentals. just can't take the quality of the bds redbox is providing.

which means i will have to re-rent ghost and sit through all that drivel of a plot just to get a proper viewing of a high quality bd transfer. can't argue with the actions sequences though.

and mastermaybe, well you're right about having to have a certain amount of disbelief to watch action/fantasy movies but come on, the writers here didn't even try. the chose the quick and easy route, so i don't think this script
meets the relatively low bar of plausibility we accept in exchange for our thriller movie.

and nope i didn' play the dvd, their was only one disk in the case, and it had the br logo on it.

neflixis our nemesis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 419 Old 04-19-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

I really missed Ving Rames, in MI4. I know he had the little, slapped together cameo in the end.

Thanks for the spoiler.

home theater addict
post #213 of 419 Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Thanks for the spoiler.

Sorry about that. I edited my post.
post #214 of 419 Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

well if all redbox bds are compressed bd25s, that would certainly explain the lack of reference video i got on ghost protocol and the crappy dragon tattoo bd. i think i.m done with redbox. rented tinker, tailor on bd for the 3rd time from redbox, and every one of them wouldn't play in my panny bd 35. when i call to complain, the customer service is great and they give me credit, but their quality control is really atrocious. for all i know it could be the same disk i rented 3 times which they won't pull from their inventory cause they are too lazy or incompetent.

i guess i'm forced back to nf for my rentals. just can't take the quality of the bds redbox is providing.

which means i will have to re-rent ghost and sit through all that drivel of a plot just to get a proper viewing of a high quality bd transfer. can't argue with the actions sequences though.

and mastermaybe, well you're right about having to have a certain amount of disbelief to watch action/fantasy movies but come on, the writers here didn't even try. the chose the quick and easy route, so i don't think this script
meets the relatively low bar of plausibility we accept in exchange for our thriller movie.

and nope i didn' play the dvd, their was only one disk in the case, and it had the br logo on it.

Do we know for a fact that redbox discs are of a lower quality? Just because the disc is a bd25, doesn't mean the film is more compressed. Most rentals I've seen strip away every thing extra off the disc. The film itself may still be the same as retail.
post #215 of 419 Old 04-19-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

Do we know for a fact that redbox discs are of a lower quality? Just because the disc is a bd25, doesn't mean the film is more compressed. Most rentals I've seen strip away every thing extra off the disc. The film itself may still be the same as retail.

i don't have a br player in my pc so i can only use the eye test.

both dragon tattoo and ghost protocol bds seemed to be compressed or have some other issues as they didn't pop the way most bds do. especially ghost which many here have said is a reference quality transfer.

that is not what i saw when i rented it.

neflixis our nemesis
post #216 of 419 Old 04-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

i don't have a br player in my pc so i can only use the eye test.

both dragon tattoo and ghost protocol bds seemed to be compressed or have some other issues as they didn't pop the way most bds do. especially ghost which many here have said is a reference quality transfer.

as far as both those movies go, i didnt rent them through red box, i bought both of them, however i did find them both to be refernce quality, ghost protocal more so than dragon tattoo, ive rent bds from redbox before i didnt have issues with pq.
post #217 of 419 Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

as far as both those movies go, i didnt rent them through red box, i bought both of them, however i did find them both to be refernce quality, ghost protocal more so than dragon tattoo, ive rent bds from redbox before i didnt have issues with pq.

either did i until a few months ago. seems to be affecting movies released this year.

neflixis our nemesis
post #218 of 419 Old 04-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...and stunts that no human being could ever do...

I enjoyed the film, but I was truly shocked at how much Cruise went out on a limb - or rather skyscraper - for this film. He was truly up there - on safety wires, which were erased via CGI but 120+ stories swinging around. Insane. But in a cool way.

That 2nd disc of features in the Best Buy excl set is a treasure trove. Great stuff. I sat slack-jawed - I thought a lot of the Burj Khalifa sequence was seamless cgi or face replacement on a stunt man.
post #219 of 419 Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I rented this from Redbox and thought the video was reference. Nothing on the disc pointed to a rental version. The disc label said "feature film" as is the case with most standard retail Paramount discs. There were no special features, so I'm assuming the disc was taken out of the standard release. I have never had an issue with Redbox outside of scratched video game discs.

The audio was a treat as well. I'll likely buy the movie in the future when I can get it for cheaper. Ghost Protocol was the most enjoyable Mission Impossible film for me, followed by MI 3 and MI 1. MI 2 was terrible.

As far as believability goes, I've never felt that the Mission Impossible movies were planted in reality. The tech alone is insanely unbelievable. But they're movies, and aside from MI 2, are fun to watch.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #220 of 419 Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I purchased the Best Buy Exclusive version. I was surprised to find that the 1st Blu-ray disc in the set contained just the movie only. All of the supplements were on the 2nd Blu-ray disc. With the standard release, the movie and a lesser amount of supplements are on a single Blu-ray disc.

In other words, Paramount pressed completely different main discs for each set. Movie-only for the Best Buy exclusive set and movie plus supplements for the standard set. I would have thought the main disc would be the same between the two sets and then the 2nd disc in the Best Buy exclusive set would have only contained the extra exclusive supplements.

Since the BB exclusive main disc just has the movie, I wonder if it's encoded at a higher bit rate versus the single Blu-ray disc in the standard version? Or, perhaps Paramount went the other way and used a BD25 for the main feature on the BB exclusive and it's actually encoded at a lower bit rate?

It would be interesting to compare the file size and bit rate of the two.

Mark
post #221 of 419 Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Mark

Interesting indeed! I couldn't return my 2-disc edition to BB cause it was open (as mentioned somewhere above, in Canada the 3-disc is a futureshop exclusive, not BB (which owns futureshop btw) I didn't know when I bought it - why not just make things as in the U.S?!?!? I don't get it but anyway) ....but I want the 3-disc! I might end up getting it tomorrow and just sell other one...
post #222 of 419 Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I thought Ghost Protocol looked & sounded great on BD (from RedBox).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #223 of 419 Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Since the BB exclusive main disc just has the movie, I wonder if it's encoded at a higher bit rate versus the single Blu-ray disc in the standard version? Or, perhaps Paramount went the other way and used a BD25 for the main feature on the BB exclusive and it's actually encoded at a lower bit rate?

Mark

Well....... I couldn't help myself yesterday, I got the 3-disc too. So I made a quick test. At about 5:00 min when we first see Tom Cruise in the prison, guess what:

2-disc edition has an average 27 Mbps and the 3-disc (hence disc 1 with the movie only) peaked...34.4, for an average 31Mbps! I played these first five minutes on both discs, and the 3-disc edition definitely has a HIGHER bitrate than the regular version. I'm not sure I'll do a thorough comparison of the entire film but I might check other scenes as well. I simply displayed the bitrate info on my player so I know the numbers can vary, but I played the scene twice on each disc, and the exclusive version was always higher.
post #224 of 419 Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Just curious was it a difference where you could see an improvement?
post #225 of 419 Old 04-21-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Just curious was it a difference where you could see an improvement?

so far honestly no, they both look identical.
post #226 of 419 Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Thanks
post #227 of 419 Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I had 3 sound drop outs during loud action scenes watching the Redbox disc. My receiver didn't blank out or anything so I'm not sure it was because it was too loud. Anyone else experience this?
post #228 of 419 Old 04-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

I thought Ghost Protocol looked & sounded great on BD (from RedBox).

Same here.
post #229 of 419 Old 04-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...I also laughed out loud at the score - in Russia? Sure, just add the cliche Russian chorus. In India? Whip out the sitar. Whatever happened to real film scoring. This film felt much more like the insufferable J.J. Abrams rather than Brad Bird.

About 50 sec into the "Arrival At The Burj" deleted scene with commentary, Bird reveals that the score idea of "flavors of the world" was his and Giacchino "knocked that approach out of the park."

Also press left on the remote when this deleted scene is selected for an IMF Easter Egg.
post #230 of 419 Old 04-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post

Also press left on the remote when this deleted scene is selected for an IMF Easter Egg.

Found more Easter Eggs:

Press left under Mission Accepted: Suiting Up In Prague. Also right on Heating Up In Dubai

Press right on under Impossible Missions: Art Department
post #231 of 419 Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Well....... I couldn't help myself yesterday, I got the 3-disc too. So I made a quick test. At about 5:00 min when we first see Tom Cruise in the prison, guess what:

2-disc edition has an average 27 Mbps and the 3-disc (hence disc 1 with the movie only) peaked...34.4, for an average 31Mbps! I played these first five minutes on both discs, and the 3-disc edition definitely has a HIGHER bitrate than the regular version. I'm not sure I'll do a thorough comparison of the entire film but I might check other scenes as well. I simply displayed the bitrate info on my player so I know the numbers can vary, but I played the scene twice on each disc, and the exclusive version was always higher.

Morpheo,

Thank you very much for checking it out. I sort of expected that the standard version would be encoded at a lower bit rate, but I'm still surprised.

Mark
post #232 of 419 Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 PM

Liked: 16
I had audio drop out,during the sand storm scene but that was about it.
I'm gonna buy it this week and see if it does it again. I saw this in cinema the tall building scene looking down was nuts. Had little vertigo
post #233 of 419 Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I wonder what even makes audio drop out. I almost never have those but when I dots always in louder action scenes like in the bus during Super 8.
post #234 of 419 Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
The 7.1 audio...impressive.

The video? Meh. Only good during daytime sequences was it any good. Anytime there were shadows, massive compression and banding. Am I the only person who noticed this? It happens all over throughout the film. Basically in any dark areas. Cue up the part where Cruise and Renner are talking about Hunt's wife at the very end, for example. All the dark areas have huge chunks of compression blocks and all that nasty stuff. Bleh. Thought I was watching some torrent download or something. And I'm not easily offended in the video side of my movies either.

Btw, I bought the 3-disk BB exclusive.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #235 of 419 Old 04-22-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

The 7.1 audio...impressive.

The video? Meh. Only good during daytime sequences was it any good. Anytime there were shadows, massive compression and banding. Am I the only person who noticed this? It happens all over throughout the film. Basically in any dark areas. Cue up the part where Cruise and Renner are talking about Hunt's wife at the very end, for example. All the dark areas have huge chunks of compression blocks and all that nasty stuff. Bleh. Thought I was watching some torrent download or something. And I'm not easily offended in the video side of my movies either.

I have a Samsung Bdp1400 and a Sony bravia LCD(3rg Gen I think). Pretty average setup. I didn't notice any of the compression artifacts or banding that you mentioned. Were you watching a blue ray copy or a torrent download? If its a download, well, there's your problem.
post #236 of 419 Old 04-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Obviously you did not read the last sentence of my post.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #237 of 419 Old 04-22-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:

Obviously you did not read the last sentence of my post.

Yea. Not sure why your having so much blocking and artifacts with your picture. Do any other movies in your collection have the same issues?
post #238 of 419 Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Anytime there were shadows, massive compression and banding. Am I the only person who noticed this? It happens all over throughout the film. Basically in any dark areas. All the dark areas have huge chunks of compression blocks and all that nasty stuff. Bleh. Thought I was watching some torrent download or something. And I'm not easily offended in the video side of my movies either.

I noticed something similar when Ethan wakes up in the hospital after the explosion at the Kremlin. The shot fades up from black to an extreme closeup of Hunt's eyes. I had to back it up and watch again to make sure I wasn't imagining it. I wasn't. This is also the BB exclusive.
post #239 of 419 Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

Anytime there were shadows, massive compression and banding. Am I the only person who noticed this?

No, you're not the only person who noticed. There are compression artifacts in a number of scenes.
post #240 of 419 Old 04-22-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Saw it on Directv PPV and really enjoyed the movie. Great quality.

Cruise's face is showing his age. As with every such movie no one person could take such beatings, accomplish such jumps, falls, etc. and keep on going yet that's what makes us love action flicks.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page