post #361 of 525 Old 07-18-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

The problem is this: RAH brings a wealth of knowledge about film processes but he's a very average BD reviewer.
+1

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 525 Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

I must be in the distinct minority. If TT offers a BR, I just order it because I want it and never wait for anyone's review.
I don't blindly pre-order discs from Twilight Time anymore after Demetrius and the Gladiators. Fool me once, shame on you...

As for Robert Harris' reviews, you have to carefully select the information that can be gleaned from them while ignoring the conclusions. His opinions are all over the map and I'm not sure he has a rigorous set of criteria he applies to everything he watches, which can produce frustrating results if you blindly follow his reviews. He's provided invaluable information at times but everyone brings their biases and personality into the reviewing equation, which can and will produce blind spots.
post #363 of 525 Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I will generally pre-order Twilight Time titles based on my faith in Blu-ray and affection for the given movie.

Some guys like to collect all of them...which I just can't afford to do.

But, if I like a movie, I feel safe in assuming that the Blu-ray will be better than any previous choices...even if the Blu-ray isn't perfect.

For example, I love BYE BYE BIRDIE. It's one of my favorite movies of all time...probably in my top five wants on Blu-ray. I have the original DVD. The DVD was good enough in it's day but "it's day" was the dawn of DVD. It was released in 1999!

I have a very high degree of confidence that the BD will be significantly superior to the DVD. I'll pre-order it day one. In fact, just to make a fool out of myself, I'm going to order two copies so that I'll always have a backup! I don't demand or expect perfection. I expect a really nice transfer that is better than what I have. If there are shortcomings, I'll mention them. That doesn't mean I'll dislike the disc. I just want to be honest. People can still really enjoy something that's not absolutely perfect.

I'm just not a fan of the vague hyperbole that something is "beautiful" or "gorgeous" and therefore immune from critcism. COVER GIRL, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH and AS GOOD AS IT GETS are all very enoyable Blu-rays. They have "issues". It's ok to say that and still enjoy them.
post #364 of 525 Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

As for Robert Harris' reviews, you have to carefully select the information that can be gleaned from them while ignoring the conclusions. His opinions are all over the map and I'm not sure he has a rigorous set of criteria he applies to everything he watches, which can produce frustrating results if you blindly follow his reviews. He's provided invaluable information at times but everyone brings their biases and personality into the reviewing equation, which can and will produce blind spots.
I agree, his conclusions have often had an emotional element to them....and THAT....ain't gonna work.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #365 of 525 Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

He's seen everything, oft-times in their "original theatrical presentations", and knows most of the backstories down to what temperature the film stock was stored at wink.gif so has unique biases that wouldn't occur, or be known, to many of us.

His opinions deserve consideration, then in the end we get to decide whether the BD merits our money and our time.
post #366 of 525 Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Liked: 13
He places an obscene amount of importance to Academy Award winners.

If you didn't win an (important) Academy Award a mediocre transfer will be fine (Back to the Future).
post #367 of 525 Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Kinda getting OT around here, isn't it?

And for those who don't know, RAH is a member of this forum and he probably reads this thread.

post #368 of 525 Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

.....The one title I do not want to miss out on is "As Good As It Gets". I'm gonna start gathering change from under the couch cushions smile.gif

I got that one. How long can it last? It seems like too good and too recent of a film to get drop-kicked over to the Twilight zone, well, price-suppourt zone.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #369 of 525 Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Hey, my copy of THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES just arrived!

My last two orders have arrived in exactly one week from Screen Archives to me here in Winnipeg. That's excellent service (although most of the kudos go to the post offices). As a long time mail orderer (I'm sure there is no such word so I made it up), one week from the U.S. to here in the regular mail is as fast as I've ever experienced. Got the same service for my COVER GIRL order.

For the record, that is seven orders sent from Screen Archives through the regular mail...never paying for registered or expedited service. That's a saving of over $70.00 compared to registered mail (those outside the U.S. are familiar with the scary warning window most foreign orders see).

That $70.00 buys me two copies of BYE BYE BIRDIE!
post #370 of 525 Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
November 13th
THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955)
BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958)

December 11th
BELOVED INFIDEL (1959)
THE BLUE LAGOON (1980)
LOST HORIZON (1973)
post #371 of 525 Old 08-07-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a splendid batch for a change because I don't want any of 'em! wink.gif

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #372 of 525 Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

I was thinking the same thing...but I thought it might be rude to say so. However, since you said it first...smile.gif.

I've been on quite a tear of buying recent TT titles. As I mentioned, I'm even getting two copies of BYE BYE BIRDIE. It's been an expensive summer. For the last six months, I thought Twilight Time was reading my mind because they were releasing my personal wishlist: COVER GIRL, THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN..., BYE BYE BIRDIE and more.

Based on their November and December releases, it seems like they are now reading somebody else's mind. That's fair enough.
post #373 of 525 Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
The Blue Lagoon is the biggest much ado about nothing that I know of filmwise.
post #374 of 525 Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The Blue Lagoon and Lost Horizon have shown up on a lot of worst movies ever lists over the years.

post #375 of 525 Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

The Blue Lagoon and Lost Horizon have shown up on a lot of worst movies ever lists over the years.

True, but then all they really need are 3000 fans each biggrin.gif

post #376 of 525 Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

.....Based on their November and December releases, it seems like they are now reading somebody else's mind. That's fair enough.

LOL! It might be rude to speculate about who's mind they read to come up with this new batch? wink.gif

post #377 of 525 Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post

well I'm done maintaining this page. I tried to add the new pre-orders to the 2nd post. I'm not learning a new language. If anyone has tips lmk.

You don't need language, just cobble it together.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #378 of 525 Old 08-08-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Blue Lagoon was not awful, just a snoozefest that in no way lived up to it's hype at the time.
post #379 of 525 Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

It must be the best that was offered to TT, I would guess. Now to look forward to 2013-->? smile.gif
post #380 of 525 Old 08-09-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Blue Lagoon was not awful, just a snoozefest that in no way lived up to it's hype at the time.
I thought the hype was over naked people.

It seems to come through pretty well in that regard, if that's what you want in a movie.

In my case, though, I prefer to watch movies for a good story, compelling characters and great dialog. The Blue Lagoon doesn't even bother to swing on any of those 3 and instead strikes out looking.

It's a potentially great concept with a flawed execution. It's pure fluff that thinks it's a statement piece about isolation induced innocence, that results in two grown people that act like 10 year olds.

Personally, I think Tom Hanks delivered better in "Big".
post #381 of 525 Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
December 11th
BELOVED INFIDEL (1959)
THE BLUE LAGOON (1980)
LOST HORIZON (1973)
Quote:

Now if it was the 1937 Lost Horizon I place my order today...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #382 of 525 Old 08-09-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
The question on Blue Lagoon is... will they be getting the original? Or the subsequently censored version? When it originally came out I believe it had more nudity that, due to the age of the actress, has subsequently resulted in some blur/glare in recent years.

I don't care one way or the other... the movie was kind of dull... but I'm about the same age as Brooke Shields and I remember (vaguely) seeing the original as a kid and it having less things blurred out than it did the last time I saw it on pay tv.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #383 of 525 Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

The question on Blue Lagoon is... will they be getting the original? Or the subsequently censored version? When it originally came out I believe it had more nudity that, due to the age of the actress, has subsequently resulted in some blur/glare in recent years.
I don't care one way or the other... the movie was kind of dull... but I'm about the same age as Brooke Shields and I remember (vaguely) seeing the original as a kid and it having less things blurred out than it did the last time I saw it on pay tv.

Other than anything that may have been shown on broadcast TV, there has never ever been any censored version of this film. It's been what it was from the day of release. The nudity, save for Mr. Atkins, is done by an of-age body double.
post #384 of 525 Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I thought the hype was over naked people.

You must be thinking of Porkys. BL barley had any nudity and was not promoted as a raunchy film, instead the hype was about 'a wonderful love story'.

Shields testified before congress that the brief nudity was done by a standin, body doubles existed before 2000.
post #385 of 525 Old 08-10-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

More Lovely Rita caps:

http://wtf-film.com/site/2012/08/09/twilight-time-cover-girl/

The reviewer has convinced me, full grain is good.
post #386 of 525 Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Liked: 13
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bye-Bye-Birdie-Blu-ray/44894/#Screenshots

I'm delighted to live in a world where releases like this are limited, region locked and over priced and releases like Spartacus and Patton are available everywhere at reasonable prices. frown.gif
post #387 of 525 Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAwesome View Post

I'm delighted to live in a world where releases like this are limited, region locked and over priced and releases like Spartacus and Patton are available everywhere at reasonable prices. frown.gif

Doesn't the fact that its a better release than a Spartacus or Patton at least somewhat justify the premium pricing?
post #388 of 525 Old 08-13-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At least the caps look a lot better then the fox titles TT has put out.
post #389 of 525 Old 08-13-2012, 05:41 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:

Joke, this has to be a joke.
International releases are never going to happen are they??
post #390 of 525 Old 08-14-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Joke, this has to be a joke.
International releases are never going to happen are they??

Cant you get a region free BD player or an extra one and set it to Region A across the pond?
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page