Twilight Time thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 525 Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the site is up and running again. Unfortunately all the autographed Journey BDs were sold out. :P

But at least I got to pre-order myself a "Big Heat" BD, and "Desiree". Looking forward to the release date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 525 Old 04-13-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishiro View Post

the site is up and running again.

Yeah, I finally got my The Big Heat, too.

I don't feel special...
post #243 of 525 Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Yeah, I finally got my The Big Heat, too.

You are going to be so happy with this purchase - I cannot say enough good about the transfer.
post #244 of 525 Old 04-13-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can't wait for it, either. Picked up Big Heat and Journey a little while ago.

post #245 of 525 Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

No need to panic - this will not sell out anytime soon. The site has been up and down sporadically. Clearly they need to speak to amazon, who hosts them - either they're not paying for unlimited traffic (which is usually the case) or something is wrong somewhere.

Eventually got my order in. I would have been shocked if the BRs had sold out. Took advantage of the offer to spend $85 and, with prior research, picked Violent Saturday as the free DVD. Still can't believe how much at least 100 people wanted Pat Boone's autograph to end up shutting down the site for a few hours.
post #246 of 525 Old 04-13-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I didn't try to order anything... but FYI... did anyone confirm the site was in fact down?

I ask because... I found out that there were some major internet router outages the last day or so because I was having trouble accessing a Web site, but not others... after some digging, turned out there were a bunch of the major routers for US internet activity that were down, and it was causing issues accessing some sites.

It is possible SAE wasn't down, but was caught in that net... it would also explain why it appeared some things sold rather quickly since maybe others were able to get into the site all day even when some weren't.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #247 of 525 Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

All I know is that the site wasn't available and nothing came up with eventually the screen indicating that it could not be connected to and to try later. That was at the 2 hr and 45 minute mark from 4pm EST. A few hours later, I came back and the site was up, indicating that all of the Pat Boone autographed BR had been sold out. Naturally, I would have preferred to get one of the 100 signed copies, but it wasn't something that I had to have. Just imagine what will happen if there are 100 Jack Nicholson signed As Good As It Gets BRs.
post #248 of 525 Old 04-14-2012, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
From Twilight Time's FB page: "SAE were as prepared as they could be...we all anticipated Fright Night levels of frenzy, but the site was apparently hit by the largest one-day traffic event in its history. SAE is hosted by Amazon and they have two big servers, but the activity today more than TRIPLED the "Fright Night" pre-orders...we ask your understanding in that this is not an exact science, and is very hard to predict...TT is more well-known now than 6 months ago when FN happened but this still a steep learning curve...we will now have to quadruple expectations when "As Good As It Gets" hits next month..."

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #249 of 525 Old 04-14-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Starting at 3:59 pm, I finally got in and completed my order at 5:27 pm.
Got the signed copy of Journey. Also ordered Bell, Book And Candle.
post #250 of 525 Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 PM

I managed to get a signed copy of Journey into my cart, but it timed out trying to complete the transaction, and when I got back in the signed copies were already sold out. I'm still very happy to get the unsigned BR though, I have been waiting for this movie on BR, I hope its a good transfer.

I wonder how many orders they took yesterday? I would not be at all surprised to see this movie sell out. I saw it mentioned as a day one purchase many times on several different web forums.
post #251 of 525 Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkak View Post

I managed to get a signed copy of Journey into my cart, but it timed out trying to complete the transaction, and when I got back in the signed copies were already sold out. I'm still very happy to get the unsigned BR though, I have been waiting for this movie on BR, I hope its a good transfer.

I wonder how many orders they took yesterday? I would not be at all surprised to see this movie sell out. I saw it mentioned as a day one purchase many times on several different web forums.

Well, if you add up all the people posting on boards such as these it would number maybe - oh - fifty? I'm sure they did very well and I'm equally sure they're not quite near selling out.
post #252 of 525 Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Well, if you add up all the people posting on boards such as these it would number maybe - oh - fifty?

We finally agree on something . I think your estimate might be spot on.

90% of the excitment is being generated on blu-ray.com and, to a lesser extent, here at AVS.

Here, the thread is 9 pages long with about 240 posts. But, if you count the number of people posting, it's about 40 people (posting multiple times).

The giant thread on that other forum is 38 pages long with 745 posts...but only about 105 people posting generated those messages.

When you consider that a number of those posts on both boards are by people registered at both sites, there may only be 100 posters generating all of that internet message traffic. A small portion likely ordered on the first day. Of course, there will be lurkers and others who will get caught up and will have placed early orders. But I suspect a lot of people just worked themselves into a frenzy and their numbers are more likely measured in the dozens than in the thousands.
post #253 of 525 Old 04-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

I just placed my pre-order for JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.

This is the fourth title I've bought from Twilight Time.

As I've said (and will continue to say): I have no beef with Twilight Time. My beef is with Fox and Sony throwing in the towel on some classic catalogue titles.

This week alone, I've received: THE IRON ROSE, VIRGIN WITCH, IT'S ONLY MONEY, EVIL ROY SLADE/THE BROTHERS O'TOOLE and BABA YAGA. I currently have standing pre-orders at amazon for BUCK PRIVATES, THE SPACE CHILDREN, COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK, THE SPIRIT IS WILLING and TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS.

It still strikes me as just plain weird that I can walk to the local suburban mall here in Winnipeg, Canada and buy the Blu-ray of HANNIE CAULDER but 20th Century Fox won't "risk" widely releasing JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.
post #254 of 525 Old 04-15-2012, 07:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I see that The Digital Bits was reminding readers of the signed copy on both Thursday and Friday. That must have contributed some traffic.

-Bill
post #255 of 525 Old 04-15-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Desiree and The Roots of Heaven both have UPC# 8 51789 00313 9. That could cause issues with people that catalog their collections with software like DVD Profiler.
post #256 of 525 Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

I just placed my pre-order for JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.

This is the fourth title I've bought from Twilight Time.

As I've said (and will continue to say): I have no beef with Twilight Time. My beef is with Fox and Sony throwing in the towel on some classic catalogue titles.

This week alone, I've received: THE IRON ROSE, VIRGIN WITCH, IT'S ONLY MONEY, EVIL ROY SLADE/THE BROTHERS O'TOOLE and BABA YAGA. I currently have standing pre-orders at amazon for BUCK PRIVATES, THE SPACE CHILDREN, COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK, THE SPIRIT IS WILLING and TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS.

It still strikes me as just plain weird that I can walk to the local suburban mall here in Winnipeg, Canada and buy the Blu-ray of HANNIE CAULDER but 20th Century Fox won't "risk" widely releasing JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.

Geez louise, Dex...enough already. I have to read your same point 101 times in multiple forums?!? We get it already; let's move on. Please.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #257 of 525 Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

New titles for the summertime...

THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES (1965) BLU-RAY - July 10th
COVER GIRL (1944) BLU-RAY - July 10th
HIGH TIME (1960) BLU-RAY - Aug 14th
BYE BYE BIRDIE (1963) BLU-RAY - Aug 14th
post #258 of 525 Old 04-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Geez louise, Dex...enough already. I have to read your same point 101 times in multiple forums?!? We get it already; let's move on. Please.

Well, I'm registered on exactly TWO forums...and I look at it this way: I've read a 165 page thread with 5000 posts about LOTR being too green and I've never complained about that.

Anyway.

It looks like Sony has given my entire wishlist to Twilight Time. BYE BYE BIRDIE was one of my fist DVDs so I'll be buying that. Anything with Rita Hayworth is an automatic buy...which is why I bought PAL JOEY.

I always thought BD was the perfect format for musicals: sound, action, color. Odd that musicals seem to be the first genre in high def getting chucked in the bin.
post #259 of 525 Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #260 of 525 Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Robert Harris and blu-ray.com highly recommend The Big Heat.
post #261 of 525 Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post

Robert Harris and blu-ray.com highly recommend The Big Heat.

So did someone much earlier in this very thread.
post #262 of 525 Old 05-12-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched it last night and the BR looked fine, but IMHO, it is second to Swamp Water in terms of what is seen on a high definition screen. Renoir's Swamp Water was stunning. Both are black & white films.
post #263 of 525 Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've been trying to justify these prices for a while, and finally just gave up and ordered Picnic (one of my favorites, and a wonderful example of the cultural angst in the mid-20th Century) and The Big Heat (I'm a big noir fan, but for some reason have only seen this one once).

I justified it because I haven't bought many discs recently. There just isn't much available that I want until June or July.

Doug
post #264 of 525 Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I've been trying to justify these prices for a while, and finally just gave up and ordered Picnic (one of my favorites, and a wonderful example of the cultural angst in the mid-20th Century) and The Big Heat (I'm a big noir fan, but for some reason have only seen this one once).

I justified it because I haven't bought many discs recently. There just isn't much available that I want until June or July.

Doug

This applies to me too: I propably wouldn't have caved in for The Big Heat unless I hadn't been on a 1 month vacation without buying any discs. I think this will be my one and only Twilight Time BD if not...
post #265 of 525 Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Liked: 19
I agree the price for Twilight Time BDs is too high. I couldn't bring myself to pay $30+ for Pal Joey but I couldn't resist and ended up ordering The Big Heat.
post #266 of 525 Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Same for me. Prices are too high but I caved for The Big Heat. Jusitfied it as a birthday splurge.
post #267 of 525 Old 05-15-2012, 11:07 AM

I'm so happy I got The Big Heat today! One week delivery time from Virginia to Finland is propably also the fastest delivery from the US I have ever had.
post #268 of 525 Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM

Regards The Big Heat: nice PQ but not the best 50's BD quality I've seen but I doubt it could look any better than this BD. Nicetoo to include a choice to continue to watch the film from where you last stopped the BD. And ofcourse a very thrilling film. A masterpiece.
post #269 of 525 Old 05-18-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pre-orders are up for The Wayward Bus and As Good As It Gets.
post #270 of 525 Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How in the world is As Good As It Gets worthy of a limited, Twilight Time release? This looks worse than the Fright Night thing-ie, potentially.

Who really owns Twilight Time? Has it been created by a group of studios as a price-fixing agency? Is this as good as it gets?

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page