New French Connection BD in the wild - Best Buy exclusive, new master - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 115 Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

Does anyone know how long this will be a Best Buy exclusive? Is the in-store price the same as the online price? Also, does the version from Best Buy have any BB branding on the sleeve or case, or is it a regular package that only they are selling? Thanks!

Judging from past Fox and MGM titles they've had, it's probably going to be an exclusive for at least 6 months. There's nothing on the packaging associated with BB, and the online price is usually always the same as in-store on something like this.

Of course, who knows for sure on some of those things -- this release appeared out of nowhere. I find it interesting there wasn't a sniff this was coming out until it literally appeared on store shelves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 03-17-2012, 04:11 PM

Liked: 50
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...ID=941#auswahl

Full comparison
post #93 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Watched it this weekend.

Good News: The new transfer is no longer tinted purple.
Bad News: It's now tinted teal instead.

Pick your poison.

The new disc is less horrible than the last one, but it's still very problematic.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #94 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
But the first disc essentially had no color. This isn't a "pick your poison" situation, it's a broken versus fixed scenario.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #95 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

But the first disc essentially had no color. This isn't a "pick your poison" situation, it's a broken versus fixed scenario.

I think Josh is describing it as a 'broken versus broken-in-a-way-that-will-probably-garner-less-objection' scenario.

I don't feel special...
post #96 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I'd rather have teal than nuclear winter. I've received my copy, so I'll be sure to give it a spin over the next few days.
post #97 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Watched it this weekend.

Good News: The new transfer is no longer tinted purple.
Bad News: It's now tinted teal instead.

Pick your poison.

The new disc is less horrible than the last one, but it's still very problematic.

I'm not seeing one ounce of teal and orange color grading. Plenty of deep blues that are blue, and definitely not teal, and no fake suntans on the skin tones.

Not sure what you're seeing but it's not matching up with my experience at all.
post #98 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

I'm not seeing one ounce of teal and orange color grading. Plenty of deep blues that are blue, and definitely not teal, and no fake suntans on the skin tones.

Maybe his TV is carrying residual teal and orange from all of the recent transfers he's been watching.

I don't feel special...
post #99 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I stayed away from the first release after I read several comments about it. The new one has overly saturated colors. When you watch it I suggest you turn the color saturation down a few clicks.

I'd rather have the Wizard of Oz than nuclear winter, but doesn't anyone look at this stuff on a calibrated monitor before they release it?
post #100 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

It's not so much orange, but there's definitely a lot of teal. And it's very inconsistent. Charnier on the boat in Marseilles - teal sky behind him, blue sky in the reverse shot from behind his head. Water is teal in one shot, blue the next. Whites like shirts and teeth frequently have a teal tinge.

It's there if you look for it. Watch again.

I completely missed the teal and orange in Alien (the first one) the first time I watched that Blu-ray, but once I checked again, it's all over the place.

Josh Z

post #101 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Every modern color timing is hit with some orange and teal.

That makes me awesome.
post #102 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Caps-a-holic reminds me why I disliked what I saw of the first BD of the French Connection, is was not just desaturated but whatever process they used created a ugly posterized effect making it rather coarse. In both versions you can see a slight bluish shift but it's minor.

Quote:

What a awful trend. For new films you would be more right.
post #103 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 04:46 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:

I think they are the only colours used in battleship
post #104 of 115 Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It's not so much orange, but there's definitely a lot of teal. And it's very inconsistent. Charnier on the boat in Marseilles - teal sky behind him, blue sky in the reverse shot from behind his head. Water is teal in one shot, blue the next. Whites like shirts and teeth frequently have a teal tinge.

It's there if you look for it. Watch again.

I completely missed the teal and orange in Alien (the first one) the first time I watched that Blu-ray, but once I checked again, it's all over the place.

You know who watched it? Owen Roizman, the gentleman who shot it. That's who did the timing and it looks EXACTLY like it looked when it came out. What else would you have? They fixed it and people who have no clue as to what this thing originally looked like STILL complain.
post #105 of 115 Old 03-20-2012, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

You know who watched it? Owen Roizman, the gentleman who shot it. That's who did the timing and it looks EXACTLY like it looked when it came out. What else would you have? They fixed it and people who have no clue as to what this thing originally looked like STILL complain.

I wish that was some sort of guarantee but it's not. Either way it's not much to get worked up about.
post #106 of 115 Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Yeah, and James Cameron supervised the Aliens transfer, which still came out as a disgusting teal-fest.

The teal color grading fad is a recent trend over the last ten years, since the advent of DI post production and digital color correction. Movies from the 1970s and 1980s were not teal.

This is a revision. It's perhaps a less objectionable revision than Friedkin's first "pastel" Blu-ray transfer, but it is certainly not the way the movie looked when it was released.

Josh Z

post #107 of 115 Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 AM

Liked: 11
From Bill at TheDigitalBits:

"20th Century Fox has just launched a new line of "filmmaker signature series" Blu-ray catalog titles. These have previously been available only as Blu-ray exclusives. The first batch is due on 9/18 and will include The Brothers McMullen, She's the One, The French Connection, Wall Street, Hoffa and War of the Roses. Each carries over the extras from the previous DVD releases. Fox has also set the family friendly titles Cowgirls n' Angels for BD and DVD release on 10/2 and Crooked Arrows on both formats on 10/23."

I'm guessing that means FC will finally get a general release with its new transfer!
post #108 of 115 Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I guess the "correct" color timing words in cinematographic circles are: teal and amber.

Either way, this long-in-the-tooth fad has to stop.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #109 of 115 Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I was reading about DCT compression on Wikipedia and this image called the original Blu-ray release to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JPEG_Generarion_Loss_rotating_90_%28stitch_of_0,100,200,500,900,2000_times%29.png
post #110 of 115 Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Yikes eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

I could've sworn I responded to the color drivel a year ago, but that's about the long and short of it. The remastered transfer looks pretty much like a mint 70s Eastman print color-wise.
post #111 of 115 Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Yikes eek.gif
I could've sworn I responded to the color drivel a year ago, but that's about the long and short of it. The remastered transfer looks pretty much like a mint 70s Eastman print color-wise.

I've asked you in a couple different threads whether you're projecting these vintage 35mm prints through the original lamps they were timed for or modern Xenon lamps that have a different color balance, yet you've ignored the question.

Most of the whites in the new French Connection disc have a teal tinge, including the actors' eyes and teeth, in both interior and exterior scenes. I'm sorry, but you're never going to convince me that the movie has always looked that way or was always supposed to look that way.

Josh Z

post #112 of 115 Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

All modern masters have teal, nothing to be done.

That makes me awesome.
post #113 of 115 Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I've asked you in a couple different threads whether you're projecting these vintage 35mm prints through the original lamps they were timed for or modern Xenon lamps that have a different color balance, yet you've ignored the question.

Most of the whites in the new French Connection disc have a teal tinge, including the actors' eyes and teeth, in both interior and exterior scenes. I'm sorry, but you're never going to convince me that the movie has always looked that way or was always supposed to look that way.
There is only one theater that still runs carbon arc projection in my vicinity and it's far enough away that I rarely have the time to drive out there, so most of my recent experience watching films of this vintage is with xenon lamps. The difference, at least from my experience, is not big enough to account for whatever issues you perceive on the disc. They are both approximately daylight balanced light; and you also have the eye's white-balance compensation... the somewhat cooler white of the xenon lamp wouldn't change the overall color design of a film, it wouldn't account for scene-to-scene color differences, etc.

And in this case, the color, the saturation, the contrast, the resolution, all that stuff adds up to one of the most respectable impressions of a film shot on early 70s stock on the format, and to hear some call it "very problematic" just stuns me. There are movies where I think the colors are close to the realm of photochemical timing but I'm still iffy about , such as that Westworld debacle with its carroty flesh, but this is just absolutely bang-on in every meaningful respect. I'm well aware that you probably couldn't convince some people if you fedexed them a film reel, but unfortunately this is the internet and that's how it goes. Bah mad.gif
post #114 of 115 Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM

Liked: 16
Watched this the other day. Looked and sounded perfect to me. Like watching a flawless film print. This movie is an amazing time capsule of New York in the 70's along with Taxi Driver and Midnight Cowboy. That New York is so foreign looking now it's almost like a dystopian, science fiction city.
post #115 of 115 Old 04-26-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Being a New Yorker these past six years, it is just weird seeing films from the 70's and 80's that take place in the Big Apple.

This Blu-Ray might not be completely accurate to the theatrical look, but it is so infinitely superior to the old Blu-Ray I do not care. It looks terrific.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page