post #61 of 112 Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Hey, I'm a big homer for Kate as the next guy and I found her attractive in every movie she ever did. But for some reason, even with the tightly clad leather, something about her facial expression, she was not attractive as her usual hot self.

Post#41

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 112 Old 05-15-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Post#41

...and then go directly to #44.
post #63 of 112 Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Hey, I'm a big homer for Kate as the next guy and I found her attractive in every movie she ever did. But for some reason, even with the tightly clad leather, something about her facial expression, she was not attractive as her usual hot self.

People seem to be missing something here. There were at least a few two-shots with both Kate and the young thing. In comparison to that uncorrupted, untarnished complexion, afraid I found Kate a little haggard and time-worn as well.....sorry, just the way it is......

LFE not as impressive as I was hoping for, given commentary herein, but at least present in the kind of abundance which shows they were thinking of us.
post #64 of 112 Old 05-15-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

afraid I found Kate a little haggard and time-worn as well.....sorry, just the way it is......

She's 37 for crying out loud! She's young and beautiful! dammit next time I'm reporting you!
post #65 of 112 Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ok so we know he needs a new display AND subs!!!! Lol SMDH.

Kaboom.
post #66 of 112 Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LFE not as impressive as I was hoping for.

You are a hard man to please.

post #67 of 112 Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
post #68 of 112 Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNEEDOO View Post

From her wikipedia page. Smokin' hot

This photo looks to be 12 years out of date, maybe more.

edit: WHAT THE.....photo is from 2011!
post #69 of 112 Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Reference quality disc all the way. Bass was fantastic and not overdone. My two BIC's sounded wonderful with this flick.
post #70 of 112 Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Def_Boss View Post

This photo looks to be 12 years out of date, maybe more.

edit: WHAT THE.....photo is from 2011!

I was gonna say, compare that image to what you saw in the film, you'll get a similar shocking juxtaposition to Kate with the young actress. Must have been taken while she was still only sampling young virgin blood -- alot of sucking ravaged hoary lycans since that time, I'm thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Ok so we know he needs a new display AND subs!!!! Lol SMDH.

Well, might have something there with new subs. Been thinking that dual 18s just not making it for most of what I hear. Not enough bass energy for most of my former standards, since they came to blu-ray. Been thinking about adding two more of the same subs if I could find them. I use the Snell 18" that the STEREOPHILE guy used, also in combination with a big NAD amp like he did (except mine is a later bigger one).

The thing is, on some soundtracks I get a really killer response, just perfect -- CLOVERFIELD is very pleasing, recently saw TRON LEGACY for the first time -- that was great, but all the old ones I used to go to, now that they are on blu-ray, seem really depleted of the bass they used to have...maybe just the progressive nature of an addiction, but somehow I don't think so.....
post #71 of 112 Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

The thing is, on some soundtracks I get a really killer response, just perfect -- CLOVERFIELD is very pleasing, recently saw TRON LEGACY for the first time -- that was great, but all the old ones I used to go to, now that they are on blu-ray, seem really depleted of the bass they used to have...maybe just the progressive nature of an addiction, but somehow I don't think so.....

I'm not sure what "old ones" you're referring to, but my thought is that improvements made over the past 10 years to editing tools and the accessibility thereof have just made it far easier to edit, boost, and create LFE. Since most moviegoers that will see films like this are likely teens, the same demographic that listens to modern, bass-heavy Dubstep, Rock, and Rap, it seems logical that films would also push bass volume (alongside other volume) to extremes. Combined with your overall acclimation to ever-increasing bass output, I'm certain new stuff is just simply louder and heavier, both subjectively and objectively.
post #72 of 112 Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^Well, just off the top of my head, I rewatched SERENITY on blu just recently. Not the same effect as I remember. Bass still there, but I used to get some really good thunks and booms. Now, just missing that last extra measure of blast. Used to use I ROBOT on that robot transport entering the subterranean highway for confirmation my system was all it used to be -- that whole crash sequence was fantastic. Just did not have the major dominance it once did.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised that JURASSIC PARK sounded very similar to the way I remember it, even from laser disc. Probably not up to today's standards of LFE, but seemed like what I remembered it always had. Oh, another one on the disappointment side -- just rewatched FIGHT CLUB -- used to sort of dread (but relish) the car crash scene because it put my system on the brink, but on blu, nothing particularly startling.

Of course I could pump it up I suppose, but I like to keep all my settings the same. Some others that perform for me on LFE are the IRON MAN movies, really like the way the bass was integrated with the other frequencies in SUPER 8 -- not really overbearing on the bass, but because of the integration, really had sock-em punch and impressive weight....
post #73 of 112 Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

Reference quality disc all the way. Bass was fantastic and not overdone. My two BIC's sounded wonderful with this flick.

I agree. How is it possible to achieve noise/grain free shots with such low lighting? Or, are these scenes shot with light, then made to appear dark in post production?
post #74 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was gonna say, compare that image to what you saw in the film, you'll get a similar shocking juxtaposition to Kate with the young actress. Must have been taken while she was still only sampling young virgin blood -- alot of sucking ravaged hoary lycans since that time, I'm thinking.

The Kate photo above and the Kate in UW4 is not the same Kate (assuming the make-up dept. didn't deliberately try to make her look...worn).

post #75 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I personally thought that Kate looked as good or even better than she did in the earlier movies. I purchased the legacy pack that contained all four films and don't regret buying it, although it's easy to see why the films weren't big award winners.

Great shot of her in the posts above, BTW. Not sure how she is managing to look younger as the years continue to go by.

oz
post #76 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Not sure how she is managing to look younger as the years continue to go by.

Worldwide (Unadjusted) Box Office Total for movies starring Ms. Beckinsale: $1,821,100,000

It's not magic.
post #77 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Kate photo above and the Kate in UW4 is not the same Kate (assuming the make-up dept. didn't deliberately try to make her look...worn).

Agreed. If the above mentioned date is indeed associated with that incredibly fresh pic, I would assume it to be the publishing date, or release date. Let us not leap to supernatural explanations, whatever the temptation might be with a known vampire lover...

Hey Oink, what do you think about the bass level on blus in general? Is it the same as when those older movies (movies pre-dating the blu format, but still fairly recent) were presented in other formats?
post #78 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed. If the above mentioned date is indeed associated with that incredibly fresh pic, I would assume it to be the publishing date, or release date. Let us not leap to supernatural explanations, whatever the temptation might be with a known vampire lover...

OKAY!... (I know this is not the forum for it and this is the last pic I'll post in this thread btw)

This photo is from feb. 25th, 2012. 2012!

Now next time I hear she doesn't look good things will get ugly.

post #79 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Though I've not checked, I wouldn't dispute the photo might be from 2012, only that it was snapped in 2012, i.e., reflects the current true visage. If that is the same woman in the movie, what would be the motivation to make her look so bedraggled (as I would contend she did)? -- she is supposed to portraying a non-aging vampire, correct? (in the movie I mean, not on the red carpet, or other "real-life" venue).
post #80 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Let us not leap to supernatural explanations, whatever the temptation might be with a known vampire lover...

Very witty, old friend.

Quote:

Hey Oink, what do you think about the bass level on blus in general? Is it the same as when those older movies (movies pre-dating the blu format, but still fairly recent) were presented in other formats?

That is a very good question....I am not sure if the levels have changed.
It DOES seem more noticable, but there could be a lot of reasons for that.
Any Industry Pro out there want to address this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

OKAY!... (I know this is not the forum for it and this is the last pic I'll post in this thread btw)

This photo is from feb. 25th, 2012. 2012!

Now next time I hear she doesn't look good things will get ugly.

What do ya think: Michael's or Alexander's blood?

post #81 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Though I've not checked, I wouldn't dispute the photo might be from 2012, only that it was snapped in 2012, i.e., reflects the current true visage. If that is the same woman in the movie, what would be the motivation to make her look so bedraggled (as I would contend she did)? -- she is supposed to portraying a non-aging vampire, correct? (in the movie I mean, not on the red carpet, or other "real-life" venue).

In the extras, Kate did say she liked that they did not play up her looks and played the character straight up, not as a hot chick in a suit per se. I mentioned in the other thread she looked MUCH better in the extras in costume, but under normal lighting.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #82 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

In the extras, Kate did say she liked that they did not play up her looks and played the character straight up, not as a hot chick in a suit per se. I mentioned in the other thread she looked MUCH better in the extras in costume, but under normal lighting.

During my lifetime I have seen only 2 women who, had I met them in their prime, would have caused me to stutter: Kate and Michelle Pfeiffer.

post #83 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

During my lifetime I have seen only 2 women who, had I met them in their prime, would have caused me to stutter: Kate and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Not sure about Pfeiffer but my list would include Isabelle Adjani :thumbup:

post #84 of 112 Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Well, at least you would not be speechless.

Both very classy looking women.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #85 of 112 Old 05-20-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Well, at least you would not be speechless.

Maybe not, more like a slobbering, blobbering, blushing idiot.

post #86 of 112 Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I would have to add one to the list of Kate and Michelle. Denise Richards could definitely make me stutter or freeze up. Still beautiful over 40.
post #87 of 112 Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Do I need to have seen the previous ones to enjoy awakening? I think I saw the first one back in the day....

post #88 of 112 Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

Do I need to have seen the previous ones to enjoy awakening? I think I saw the first one back in the day....

No, you don't....see this old post:

"Part 3" is really a prequel to Part 1.
Rhona and Kate play completely different characters in the Underworld story.

Try watching "Part 3" (the prequel) first and then watch Part 1, Part 2, Part 4 in that order.
This will give you a linear storyline.

post #89 of 112 Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I hate to say this but watched over the weekend but this is by far the worst of the bunch...even worse than the dreadful second film. And even more unfortunate is Kate does not look as good as she did in the first two. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. It's not her. She looks fantastic in the Total Recall trailer.
post #90 of 112 Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 400
Watched the 2d version (on the 3d disc) earlier this week and watched the 3d version last night. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was a worthy sequel to the franchise, but it did feel a bit rushed/short. The good thing about the length though is there is never a dull moment so it is a fun ride.

3d was very subtle, but effective IMO. There was decent depth and even a handful of pop out moments which were fun. The 3d was better than I expected reading various comments here and is the best way to see this film IMO.

Audio was absolutely fantastic! Yes, this is a bass fest, BUT there is never bass just for the sake of bass like some people have alluded to. Anytime there is LFE, it is either in support of on screen action or to trigger emotion of impending doom or some sort of event. The LFE was like a character in itself and it really pulled me into the film. I loved how the Super Lycan was given the most weight as far as the low end which really convinced the audience of his dominance in relation to the regular Lycans. Anytime this big boy came on screen was just downright pure demo quality HT bliss IMO.

Some have also mentioned bass drowning out the other elements of the mix which I did not have ANY problem with. Even with as thundering and pounding as the low end got at times, it never drowned out the dialog and NEVER drowned out the awesome surround elements. There are some truly excellent panning effects and discrete type elements scattered throughout as far as the surround track in particular. Combined with the titanic low end, this one pulls you right in the middle and IMO probably the best audio track yet this year. 5 star reference audio in my book.

Just my thoughts. Great blind buy and my new audio demo movie for when people show up.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page