Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JkCheng122
After picking up my jaw from the floor following Underworld, I thought there should be a thread dedicated to audio quality on our bd discs. Underworld is perhaps the best sounding bd I've heard out of my whole collection, I even popped in "POTC: DMC" to make sure I wasn't wrong and to me the 16bit PCM sounded better than the 24bit PCM on "DMC".

List so far. I'll try to maintain this as much as I can tho it will prob idle through weekends. When posting suggestion please give full title and audio option (best available and one listened to if diff). i'll add poster's name at the end so we'd know who to flame.

*Listing is in alphabetical order. If you made a post and i did not put your choice in the tier, please PM me with the choice and make sure you provide a tier number. Also please list the track you are rating, and also distinguish DTS-MA core and lossless.

Audio Tier Thread rules:
Any registered AVS member is welcome to participate.
Please format your votes in the following manner: [Title] ([Codec you listened to] [#/channels]) - [Recommended tier placement]
Example:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Forum Member

Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Reference

• Please provide an explanation for your vote. A short paragraph will do.
  • There is no specific criteria for what constitutes placement in any particular tier. Use your best judgment.
  • A title must receive at least two votes to be included in the list.
  • For a title to be placed in the Reference tier, 75% of all votes cast for that title must be marked Reference. All other tier placements are by majority vote.
  • Where an even number of votes cast for a title are in adjoining tiers (e.g., 2 votes in Tier 0 and 2 votes in Tier 1), that title will be placed in the lower of the two tiers (e.g., Tier 1).
  • By popular demand, movies and concerts have been listed separately.

Instead of listing them in posts, the easiest way was to put it all on google documents, therefore it can be updated easier. There are tabs at the bottom for each tier and concert. I tried to get rid of duplicates since I merged multiple threads. If you see a duplicate on multiple tier lists, let me know.

I now just have to add anything put in the comments on the previous thread after July of 2011. Working on that as of now.

I added a tab for sound system showcase moments in movies or parts you love to use to test new speakers or show off to your friends. So if you could give the movie scenes you use for showing off your sound system, I will add them. Just need the movie, title scene, chapter or time on movie, and why you use it.

I put a few of my examples in, but have many more I will add if others do not. Hard to find something online with the list.

The list is here. I will plan to update it each Saturday. I will not carry over the orphaned movies. We can start a new list. Once we get 2 votes that agree, I will add the movie. I will also post on the thread when I update, so you know anything above that post has been added to the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtlkdiQQl5BLdFhwTF9vbGdRU2VDckt2Z21nTFlwbVE

Previous Threads:
Link to original thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=918734
Link to thread reboot by Fanaticalism: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=15933866
Link to most recent update by Brian Beckman: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1190265
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-17-2012, 03:13 PM

I really like the demo scene page that has been included in the document. I hope more scenes can be added to this list.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-21-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Bump for people to see(didn't know it was approved yet). Will now start adding suggestions from the comments of the previous thread so we catch up on movies over the last almost year.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 AM

Liked: 11
TRON: Legacy (DTS-HD MA 7.1) - Reference

Anti DNR, EE, incorrect AR, lossy audio, overblown contrast, and over-saturated colors.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM

more scenes would be great! do we need to vote on those as well? also, do they need to be from movies that aren't on the list or can they be specific scenes even from say movies that are already reference?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was a bit underwhelmed with the TWILIGHT: BREAKING DAWN 7.1.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

I was a bit underwhelmed with the TWILIGHT: BREAKING DAWN 7.1.

I thought it had some nice directional moments, and distracted me nicely from the movie
post #8 of 8 Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Ttt
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page