AVS Forum banner

Outland

7K views 81 replies 35 participants last post by  Greg_R_STL 
#1 ·
No real details yet, but released by Warner in Germany July 20th!!

This should be a sign of it hitting worldwide just like Demolition Man before it!

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007  /t/1401194/outland/30#post_22173775

Not fantastic, when there is a lot going on it gets a bit muddled
Thanks for the badd news!!!

JJ

Can you pick a scene? The Cave? The Breakout? The re-Transformation"?

You don't think its a "this" release transfer issue, do you? Maybe more too do w/the original soundtrack?

Or, even the home video 5.1 mix
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007  /t/1401194/outland/30#post_22183169

Yes the dvd was one of the worst of the early Laserdisc masters
Butt Hay, an anamorphic DD 5.1 for ten bucks in the nineties...

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED  /t/1401194/outland/30#post_22183811

Thanks for the badd news!!!

JJ

Can you pick a scene? The Cave? The Breakout? The re-Transformation"?

You don't think its a "this" release transfer issue, do you? Maybe more too do w/the original soundtrack?

Or, even the home video 5.1 mix

Butt Hay, an anamorphic DD 5.1 for ten bucks in the nineties...

Hear for yourself

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss HD  /t/1401194/outland/30#post_22173824

The BD has a Problem:

From 1 hour and 16 Minutes to 1 hour and 31/32 Minutes it looks much softer than the rest of the movie.

Somethings going wrong here oder problems with the material?

Can anyone else confirm this?

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007  /t/1401194/outland/30#post_22184919

Hear for yourself

Good God! I'll take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdragon  /t/1401194/outland/30#post_22192622

The reviewer in the following link seems to report no problems with PQ (it is obvious from the review, it is one of his favorite films):
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Outland-Blu-ray/40874/#Review

And uh, he seems ready to fight if anyone disagrees with him

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL  /t/1401194/outland/30#post_22192863

And uh, he seems ready to fight if anyone disagrees with him
>>>

Quote:
Someone somewhere will probably claim "DNR", because somebody always does, but in fact there is no evidence of detail-stripping or degraining on this transfer, nor is there any indication of artificial sharpening. Nor did I notice any compression artifacts. The darkness of Hyams' photographic style and the softness inherent in pre-CG FX may give pause to some viewers, but this Blu-ray accurately represents the film Outland as it was made and seen in 1981 (I saw it multiple times). My score of 4.5 is based on the disc's fidelity to the original image. For those who insist on scoring it differently, please at least say why.

Source:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Outland-Blu-ray/40874/#Review

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007  /t/1401194/outland/30#post_22193384

He is wrong about faithfulness, teal and orange baby and I will fight him about it if he fancies one

Outland has had it so bad for so long, I'm ready for a tagline like "Much less terrible than previous releases!"

#63 ·
Amazon has shipped, so I'll soon see for myself.

#65 ·
UPS just got here. I did an A-B comparison with the DVD for the opening titles and model shots, and there is no comparison. On the DVD, compression artifacts are literally jumping and pulsing inside the lighter parts of the image. Watching this blu ray is going to be like seeing it for the first time. Again, this is just from the opening shots, but even the score sounds clearer, and more detailed.

#66 ·
Watched it through, couldn't be happier with the blu-ray. Really a standout performance for Connery, in large part because the script is so minimal, he has to sell everything on facial expression and delivery of the lines he does have. It could never have worked with anyone else. The production design was fantastic, and the improved picture makes it more appreciable. One thing I had forgotten about was the great British character actor Steven Berkoff, as one of the mine workers driven crazy by the drug. He's usually playing German or Russian heavies in genre films, so it was strange to notice him in the role.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap  /t/1401194/outland/60#post_22208414

Is Outland supposed to be remastered? Or it is a "direct" transfer?

Definately remastered. I am not sure if they tout that on the packaging though... if that's what you are asking.

#70 ·
just watched some of it last night.

Looks really good.

The quality is very much like that of comparing the non-anamorphic DVD version of 2010 to the remastered 2010 Blu-Ray.

The sound is so much better too and more sub-woofer at the beginning I noticed.

The commentary track by P. Hyams is really great to listen to.

Connery called him "Boy" on the set ha ha.

#71 ·
If you're a fan of this movie it's a must have. Watched it last night, picture and sound were excellent (details I've never noticed before) for an older catalog title. A few brief moments in the film looked soft almost out of focus but generally it was reasonably sharp. The dated CRT monitors and clackety keyboards were a hoot. Connery's typing on the keyboard never seemed to match the text appearing the screen but that's just a funny quibble. What would be done in CGI today was done with models and I am fine with that. Frances Sternhagen was inspired casting and her interaction with Connery give the story just enough humor and humanity to keep it on point.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe  /t/1401194/outland/60#post_22227961

Inexplicably, this has been delayed for a 2nd week in a row here in Canada....nowhere to be found at the box stores, including Wall-E Mart.....'not in stock' at Amz.ca either....

That's a pain. I order from all the Amazons indiscriminately, ca, co.uk. .de, etc.. Canada gets to me in about a week and a half. Unless you have a preorder in , just get it from .com.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL  /t/1401194/outland/60#post_22227995

That's a pain. I order from all the Amazons indiscriminately, ca, co.uk. .de, etc.. Canada gets to me in about a week and a half. Unless you have a preorder in , just get it from .com.

Unfortunately, 'Free Shipping' does not apply to Canada on .com, as it would be on .ca. It costs about $6.00 to ship a single title to Canada, plus .com charges an additional 'Import Fees Deposit' per title, making it unfeasible for Canadians to order from them. In fact, shipping is cheaper ($4.50/title) from .uk, and there's no 'Import Fees Deposit'....good thing I have a region-free player.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe  /t/1401194/outland/60#post_22228062

Unfortunately, 'Free Shipping' does not apply to Canada on .com, as it would be on .ca. It costs about $6.00 to ship a single title to Canada, plus .com charges an additional 'Import Fees Deposit' per title, making it unfeasible for Canadians to order from them. In fact, shipping is cheaper ($4.50/title) from .uk, and there's no 'Import Fees Deposit'....good thing I have a region-free player.

Too bad about the fee. Agreed on the region free. Any kind of genre or somewhat obscure film discussion ends up in region free territory sooner or later. Back in the DVD days, I had a venerable Malata N996 in disco gold that finally gave up the ghost about 6 months ago.
R.I.P.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.