AVS Forum banner

Outland

7K views 81 replies 35 participants last post by  Greg_R_STL 
#1 ·
No real details yet, but released by Warner in Germany July 20th!!

This should be a sign of it hitting worldwide just like Demolition Man before it!

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/21818930

I recently saw a HD braodcast of this and all I can say is it was mediocre quality wise at best, so if they just recycle then we may be disappointed. Time will tell. I'll likely be picking this title up so long as the price is decent.

Considering this was probably the worst DVD of all time, just having it in a true 16x9 format will be the icing on the cake.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/21818930

I recently saw a HD braodcast of this and all I can say is it was mediocre quality wise at best, so if they just recycle then we may be disappointed. Time will tell. I'll likely be picking this title up so long as the price is decent.

The only HD version I've ever come across of it was on TBS a few months ago -- and it wasn't HD but standard-def stretched out to 16:9. Awful was the first word that came to mind
Again, the UK DVD had a remastered 16:9 transfer and 5.1 track we didn't get in the US. If the BD comes from that master (which it likely will), it ought to be fine...I picked that up from Amazon UK for a couple of bucks a few years back.

#17 ·
Keep in mind that Peter Hyams pulls double-duty as cinematographer on all of the films he directs, and he has a fetish for extremely dim, grainy images. He shoots mostly in available source light with high speed film stocks. Even with a perfect transfer, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of eye candy from this. At its best, it might look similar to the '2010' Blu-ray, which looks... just OK.

It should still be a big step up from the crappy DVD, though. So that's something.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI /forum/post/21821627

The only HD version I've ever come across of it was on TBS a few months ago -- and it wasn't HD but standard-def stretched out to 16:9. Awful was the first word that came to mind
Again, the UK DVD had a remastered 16:9 transfer and 5.1 track we didn't get in the US. If the BD comes from that master (which it likely will), it ought to be fine...I picked that up from Amazon UK for a couple of bucks a few years back.

No-it was on HDNet Movies, so was not molested like TNT did/used to do to movies. It was not SD, but clearly an old HD transfer, probably from the original DVD release. I have no problem with grain from all the dark scenes. It seemed a bit soft from what I recall, though much better than a SD DVD version.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/21822180

No-it was on HDNet Movies, so was not molested like TNT did/used to do to movies. It was not SD, but clearly an old HD transfer, probably from the original DVD release. I have no problem with grain from all the dark scenes. It seemed a bit soft from what I recall, though much better than a SD DVD version.

The original DVD didn't come from an HD transfer. It came from the same NTSC standard def transfer as the laserdisc.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/21821793

Keep in mind that Peter Hyams pulls double-duty as cinematographer on all of the films he directs, and he has a fetish for extremely dim, grainy images. He shoots mostly in available source light with high speed film stocks. Even with a perfect transfer, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of eye candy from this. At its best, it might look similar to the '2010' Blu-ray, which looks... just OK.

Lol. That sounds verbatim of a quote read off by Hyams of himself in the Relic commentary. He disagrees.
I would agree with the description though. That's certainly his 'look'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.