More Ghibli titles Incoming! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 214 Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away will be their big finale to releasing these bluray, hopefully they release soon, Mononoke is a must buy and I will drop the cash to import it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 214 Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IIRC one of the guys who handles the translations for Ghibli in Japan made some sort of blog or twitter post a couple weeks back about currently working on subs for Princess Mononoke, so as you can imagine there's a lot of speculation that we might see it released before the end of the year.
post #183 of 214 Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Skovgaard View Post

Expensive, yes, but so beautiful. smile.gif

My collection. biggrin.gif

My job allows me to travel to Japan from time to time so I have to ask... any idea if these are a lot cheaper in Japan? Second, do they include an English dub or at least English subs? These cases are fantastic so I'd much rather collect these as opposed to the ones being released here in the States!
post #184 of 214 Old 08-03-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin269 View Post

My job allows me to travel to Japan from time to time so I have to ask... any idea if these are a lot cheaper in Japan? Second, do they include an English dub or at least English subs? These cases are fantastic so I'd much rather collect these as opposed to the ones being released here in the States!

English dub, no eng subs, and still very expensive compared to the US releases.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #185 of 214 Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I'm pretty sure all of them include English subs, actually. Although there might be one or two that doesn't have a dub.

As for getting them in Japan, Amazon.co.jp is cheaper than just about any retail store (unless you buy them used). You can have Amazon.co.jp ship to a hotel address or convenience store.
post #186 of 214 Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin269 View Post

All of them have English subs, and aside from Grave of the fireflies, Arrietty and From up on Poppy Hill, they have the Disney dub.

They are still expensive, but as jd213 wrote, amazon.co.jp are the cheapest, but maybe you can get lucky in a retail store. smile.gif

And they are all digipacks, and not a normal slim cover with a slipcase.

post #187 of 214 Old 08-04-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Every site I checked said no subs... I would have ordered some of these had I known this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #188 of 214 Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 AM

If the rather nifty packaging and English dubs of the Japanese releases aren't essential to you, some of the HK/Taiwan releases feature video & Japanese audio ports of the Japanese releases at about a third of the price.
post #189 of 214 Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Princess Mononoke and The Cat Returns will be released in Japan December 4th. This, plus a little backfill, will complete my personal Ghibli collection--hooray! (pending how well I like the new ones...)

Can't say I saw that coming. So it looks like Spirited Away is all but certain for a 2014 release in Japan.
post #190 of 214 Old 08-21-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

About time, day one import for Mononoke.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #191 of 214 Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Not Blu Ray related (at least not for a while) but Miyazaki is retiring.

His last film, The Wind Rises, is set for US release in the theaters by Disney.

The announcement here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/director-hayao-miyazaki-retire-619061
Quote:
Originally Posted by THR.com 
Oscar-winning director Hayao Miyazaki's animation studio says The Wind Rises, in competition at the Venice Film Festival, will be his last film.

Hayao Miyazaki Anime 'The Wind Rises' Bows in Japan to $9.6 Million
Koju Hoshino announced Miyazaki's intention to retire Sunday, but declined to take questions, deferring to a news conference next week in Tokyo. "He wants to say goodbye to all of you, " the Studio Ghibli president said.

The Wind Rises discussion here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/telluride-hayao-miyazakis-final-film-619082
Quote:
Originally Posted by THR.com 
The Wind Rises deals with darker subject matter than the 10 earlier films for which the 72-year-old filmmaker is internationally known -- including Princess Mononoke (1997), the Oscar-winning Spirited Away (2001), Howl's Moving Castle (2004) and Ponyo (2008) -- but it is as visually beautiful as any of them. On the basis of its quality, Miyazaki's big announcement and the relatively weak animated competition this year, I strongly suspect that the film will be nominated for the best animated feature Oscar.

The film unfolds in 1920s and 1930s Japan, as Horikoshi, who as a child dreamed of building aircrafts, struggles to bring Japanese aviation into the modern age. Frustrated at the engineering prowess, or lack thereof, of his "poor and backward" country, he seeks information and inspiration from every source imaginable (i.e. the Germans) -- and some purely imagined (i.e. an Italian engineer named Carboni pops up in numerous dream sequences).

Another review here:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/01/venice-film-festival-review-wind-rises

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #192 of 214 Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post

Not Blu Ray related (at least not for a while) but Miyazaki is retiring.

Miyazaki has announced his retirement after each movie he's made since Princess Mononoke.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #193 of 214 Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Every site I checked said no subs... I would have ordered some of these had I known this.

Just in case someone reading this thread gets the wrong idea--all JP editions include English subs, nearly all also include English dubs (exceptions for where no English dub exists). They also typically include many, many other subtitle and audio options. The subs on the Japanese editions are different than the ones on the US/UK editions though--the JP English subs are translations of the spoken Japanese, while the US/UK English subs are transcriptions of the English dub (not necessarily the same thing).

This is the place to check for what each edition has going for it: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198117
post #194 of 214 Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 AM

Liked: 15
Am I the only one who does not see greatness until the big 3 here? Obviously, Monoke, Castle, and Spirited, which is enough to tackle just about anything. Howl's Moving Castle remains for me the definitive version of their films in my eyes and no less because the English version was absolutely fantastic. I simply could never go back to the native version. Anyway, my opinion IS somewhat colored by the dubs so a couple of posters could tell me what went wrong with the others, though, I will say, just based on image, Howl's still reigns above all for me.

I actually consider it in my top 50 films and that is certainly something in my opinion.
post #195 of 214 Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Costco is carrying From Up On Poppy Hill for the low price of $17.99. This movie is getting a crazy promotional push, it's the featured movie in Costco's current demo loop in their television section.
post #196 of 214 Old 09-05-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I saw it at Walmart yesterday and almost bought it, glad I didn't. Is that the DVD or bluray?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #197 of 214 Old 09-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

Am I the only one who does not see greatness until the big 3 here? Obviously, Monoke, Castle, and Spirited

I'm sure you're not alone, but every Ghibli fan has their own personal lists, and they vary quite a bit. For me, tier 1 is Totoro, Kiki, Porco, and Mononoke. Tier 2 is Nausicaa, Laputa, and Only Yesterday. Tier 3 includes Spirited Away, Howl's, and Whisper. I only intend to buy tiers 1 and 2--for tier 3 and beyond I'm happy with rentals. And there are a few I'm happy to never see again.

So yeah, not only do I see greatness before Mononoke, but Mononoke kinda marks the end of the greatness for me. And now we have two posts with controversial, provocative statements and lists wink.gif
post #198 of 214 Old 09-05-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whisper remains my favorite, something about the first time I saw it stuck with me.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #199 of 214 Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Whisper remains my favorite, something about the first time I saw it stuck with me.

Yeah, my list is also pretty biased in the direction of the order I first saw them. Maybe as we see more and more Studio Ghibli, we get harder to impress wink.gif By the time I saw Spirited Away, I was nearly insensitive to its charms. Ponyo didn't stand a chance.

A notable exception to this rule on my list is Only Yesterday, which I saw much later, and is on Tier 2 after only one viewing, and it may make Tier 1 after repeated viewings.
post #200 of 214 Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whisper was actually my 5th or 6th Ghibli film. AMC ran a week/month of Miyazaki and that was my first time seeing many of the films, Whisper ran after Porco Rosso and Pom Poko on the third day.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #201 of 214 Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

Yeah, my list is also pretty biased in the direction of the order I first saw them. Maybe as we see more and more Studio Ghibli, we get harder to impress wink.gif By the time I saw Spirited Away, I was nearly insensitive to its charms. Ponyo didn't stand a chance.

A notable exception to this rule on my list is Only Yesterday, which I saw much later, and is on Tier 2 after only one viewing, and it may make Tier 1 after repeated viewings.

Ponyo was terrible imho. Cool art direction and that is it. I haven't liked anything from them in years to be honest. I need to see Whispers and the small people one lol.

Also, Howl's at tier 3. I'm in tears.

What I don't like about some of the first ones is the lack of any decent dubbing and the stories don't seem to connect with me for this reason or other reasons. The animation for the first couple is also pretty bad in some places.
post #202 of 214 Old 09-06-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:

What I don't like about some of the first ones is the lack of any decent dubbing and the stories don't seem to connect with me for this reason or other reasons. The animation for the first couple is also pretty bad in some places.

Actually I agree here. Mononoke was the first English dub I'd actually consider to be pretty well-executed for the most part. The earlier ones are tolerable at best, and occasionally abysmal (even the new improved English Porco dub is still atrocious). So prioritizing good English dubs and top-notch visuals, I see where the earlier ones may fall short, and Mononoke, Spirited, and Howl's rise to the top. For me, the stories of the latter two are only meh, though, and since dubbing quality means nothing on my scale, they get Tier 3. Pretty only gets you so far.

And speaking of dubs, you haven't lived until you've heard the freakish toad sound in the original Japanese Totoro soundtrack. I'm not sure I've ever heard a sound effect that elicited more WTF reactions. But to me, it's part of the charm.
post #203 of 214 Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:

The subs on the Japanese editions are different than the ones on the US/UK editions though--the JP English subs are translations of the spoken Japanese, while the US/UK English subs are transcriptions of the English dub (not necessarily the same thing).

This is the place to check for what each edition has going for it: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198117
Woah! Are you trying to suggest that all UK and US Blu-rays of Ghibli titles have dubtitles? I can assure you that's absolutely not the case for the UK releases at least! (and some of the US) eek.gif

Quote:

What I don't like about some of the first ones is the lack of any decent dubbing and the stories don't seem to connect with me for this reason or other reasons.
I take it you're not a fan of foreign cinema at all then? To me the comment above is akin to the old chestnut about subtitles: "If I wanted to read, I'd buy a book!". I've got nothing against dubs or the people who enjoy them, but my god to dismiss a film just because no dub or no decent dub exists just strikes me as an extremely narrow-minded opinion for someone to have on cinema. I say this not to insult or harshly criticise, but more out of pity really!

Now, if you dislike the films because you really dislike the films.. who could argue with that? Subjective taste is equally valid for everyone! cool.gif
post #204 of 214 Old 09-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post

Woah! Are you trying to suggest that all UK and US Blu-rays of Ghibli titles have dubtitles? I can assure you that's absolutely not the case for the UK releases at least! (and some of the US) eek.gif

You're right, it's not universal that the US editions have dubtitles--but some do have no option for actual subtitles of the actual Japanese words spoken, and that's significant enough to warrant a pretty severe warning (particularly in the context of my comment, for someone who doesn't like the older movies because of lackluster dubs--subtitles may not improve matters very much if they're just dub transcriptions). Didn't know the UK versions did better than the US ones in this regard, good to know!

Also, good dubs are a dealbreaker for lots of people. It pains me that my oldest son can't read fast enough to watch the decent version of Porco, and we have to choke down the dub.
post #205 of 214 Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Watch it, I like the Porco dub. tongue.gif

(The Michael Keaton dub, not the dub that shall never be spoken of)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #206 of 214 Old 09-10-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Once they started Disneyfying the dubs, it went downhill.
post #207 of 214 Old 09-22-2013, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Off-Topic, but I couldn't resist posting this whimsical manhole cover @ the Ghibli Studio Museum.

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #208 of 214 Old 12-19-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did anyone pick up the Japanese release of Mononoke? I see a few listings on Amazon from resellers and it is tempting me, but I would like some impressions from fellow AVS members before I jump.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #209 of 214 Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 PM

I've got it. It looks and sounds great IMO. There's some complaining online about some shots looking softer than the rest, and that's true--however, I don't see any indication it's from anything other than limitation in the source material (post-animation optical zoom or some such thing). Certainly not as bad as similar soft shots in Nausicaa, either. I personally think it's glorious.
post #210 of 214 Old 12-19-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've got it. It looks and sounds great IMO. There's some complaining online about some shots looking softer than the rest, and that's true--however, I don't see any indication it's from anything other than limitation in the source material (post-animation optical zoom or some such thing). Certainly not as bad as similar soft shots in Nausicaa, either. I personally think it's glorious.

You are tempting me... is it worth $80 to import it and have it up to two years early? I can't find the Hong Kong version at all so no $30 discount for dropping the dub.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Howls Moving Castle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , My Neighbor Totoro Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Ponyo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Grave Of The Fireflies Blu Ray Widescreen , Whisper Of The Heart Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , From Up On Poppy Hill Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , The Secret World Of Arrietty Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Castle In The Sky Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page