More Ghibli titles Incoming! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 214 Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Arrietty is already up for preorder and has been for a few weeks. (down at the moment) However, Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart just popped up on Amazon. They are currently listed as unavailible but the box art is in line with previous US releases of Ghibli movies on blu-ray. Hopefully preorders will be up and running soon.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 214 Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I hope they keep them coming quickly. I want them all.

Benjamin King

Sic Transit Gloria

post #3 of 214 Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminKing View Post

I hope they keep them coming quickly. I want them all.

I almost imported a couple of the Hong Kong releases and I am glad I held out. Still have several movies to catch up on, Japan keeps holding out on us.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #4 of 214 Old 03-21-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm holding out for the remastered version of Castle In The Sky that was originally released on DVD, so let's hope that is what we are getting instead of the lesser quality one that quietly replaced it.
post #5 of 214 Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Has Spirited Away ever been released on Blu-ray even in Japan?
post #6 of 214 Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

I'm holding out for the remastered version of Castle In The Sky that was originally released on DVD, so let's hope that is what we are getting instead of the lesser quality one that quietly replaced it.

I don't feel special...
post #7 of 214 Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

The first release had terrible Edge Enhancement. The recent gold box (my name for the design they use) release had a much improved image (still below average), but altered the music and dialog to more closly resemble the original Japanese. (all the gold box releases did this) there are several write ups about the various changes to the gold releases in the amazon reviews. (some are good others are bad...(the new Totoro dub for example)

And no, Mononoke and Spirited Away still havent been released yet. (I am importing Mononoke day one) but both of them should be in the next wave of releases if they keep to the current pattern....

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #8 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 02:07 AM

I imported the Japanese version of CASTLE IN THE SKY several months back and the PQ is absolutely fantastic -- for a 80s anime. Very similar to the NAUSICAA PQ. I assume the US release will be using that same master.

The Japanese import of HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE looks literally perfect.
post #9 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The first release had terrible Edge Enhancement. The recent gold box (my name for the design they use) release had a much improved image (still below average), but altered the music and dialog to more closly resemble the original Japanese. (all the gold box releases did this) there are several write ups about the various changes to the gold releases in the amazon reviews. (some are good others are bad...(the new Totoro dub for example)

All of the (film based) Ghibli Blu-rays have completely new transfers compared to the DVDs. No idea whether they'll use the re-scored or re-edited dub though.
post #10 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The recent gold box (my name for the design they use) release had a much improved image (still below average), but altered the music and dialog to more closly resemble the original Japanese.

Ah. Thanks for the info. I had no idea (nor interest) because I only ever listen to the original Japanese.

I don't feel special...
post #11 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Can't wait for Castle in the Sky!!
post #12 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah. Thanks for the info. I had no idea (nor interest) because I only ever listen to the original Japanese.

Ghibli dubs usually are excelent so I switch between both English and Japanese depending on my mood. I dont use subs because they are usually just as different in meaning as the dubs.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #13 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:

And no, Mononoke and Spirited Away still havent been released yet. (I am importing Mononoke day one) but both of them should be in the next wave of releases if they keep to the current pattern....

:: prepares to run screaming from the room during Mononoke's "worm" scenes ::

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
post #14 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Ghibli dubs usually are excelent so I switch between both English and Japanese depending on my mood. I dont use subs because they are usually just as different in meaning as the dubs.

I've always preferred using the japanese audio. The dubs for the most recent film was ehhhe

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #15 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I've always preferred using the japanese audio. The dubs for the most recent film was ehhhe

I've heard a few minutes of a couple of the dubs, here and there (mainly by checking out some of the "making of" featurettes) and, while they appear to be technically well-produced and feature, largely, capable actors, the tone and characterization seem to be so different from the original audio that one almost may as well be watching another movie.

I don't feel special...
post #16 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
What I'm really hoping for is some sort of (North) American blu-ray boxed set to be released of all (or a great many) of the titles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Liked: 26
I can only assume that because the sub-discussion about dubs was initiated by a pretty clear troll post, a moderator cleaned up the whole resulting thread without regard for the fact that (I think) the resulting discussion contained useful information and no more personal attacks beyond the initial one.

Either that or they didn't know Porco Rosso was a Ghibli film and thought it had drifted offtopic...
post #18 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

I can only assume that because the sub-discussion about dubs was initiated by a pretty clear troll post, a moderator cleaned up the whole resulting thread without regard for the fact that (I think) the resulting discussion contained useful information and no more personal attacks beyond the initial one.

Either that or they didn't know Porco Rosso was a Ghibli film and thought it had drifted offtopic...

Correct. There were also posts that talked about pirated videos. We have a zero tolerance on someone talking about owning or pirating CR material. One of those rules the ownership outlined in the rules everyone agreed to when they asked to be a member on AVS

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #19 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I feel sorry for anyone who stumbles across that terrible Porco dub, easily one of the worst dubs I have ever heard. I feel even more sorry for whoever orders any "Ghibli Collection" dvds from amazon thinking that they are getting a deal. (always read the reviews)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #20 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I definitely would like to get spirited away in hd. I have the dvd and it still looks great

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #21 of 214 Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Howl and Earthsea hit Europe in late June so those are probably our next two. (they also have the Yamadas already and the three that this thread covers) still trying to dig up more info on what the next Japanese releases will be.

:edit: Just noticed that Japan doesnt have Totoro... Seems that Studio Ghibli is holding onto their big guns for the final stretch...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #22 of 214 Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:

:edit: Just noticed that Japan doesnt have Totoro... Seems that Studio Ghibli is holding onto their big guns for the final stretch...

If Japan had Totoro, I would be spending the $80 and importing it...

To me it seems Totoro, Kiki, and Mononoke are their big US titles, and none of them are available anywhere on Blu. Porco may be coming soon due to the sequel. And by the way, while the original English dub of Porco was execrable, the French dub was proof that dubbed can occasionally be better than original language (or at least Porco's role was done perfectly).
post #23 of 214 Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

the French dub was proof that dubbed can occasionally be better than original language

It's art, not a competition. A dub cannot do better because the aim is fidelity to the original artistic statement. Something perceived to be "better" would simply be wrong. You, personally, may like it more, but that doesn't make it a superior soundtrack for the film; rather, it necessarily makes it an inferior one.

I don't feel special...
post #24 of 214 Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:

It's art, not a competition. A dub cannot do better because the aim is fidelity to the original artistic statement. Something perceived to be "better" would simply be wrong. You, personally, may like it more, but that doesn't make it a superior soundtrack for the film; rather, it necessarily makes it an inferior one.

I don't think fidelity is really ever in the cards for dubbing. For the most simple example, it's not even the same language...

Still I see how you could see things your way. We'll have to agree to disagree. I think any fidelity arguments are, by definition, out the window when you're talking about dubs (if you want fidelity, why bother with a dub at all?), and any comparisons have to be 100% subjective by the same token. And even by that much more lax standard, most dubs still don't measure up to the original!

EDIT: Actually, re-reading your post I think we're in agreement. I just take it as a given that dubs are not faithful to the original, and so I didn't even mention it. So yes my preference for the French dub is subjective, absolutely. Incidentally I don't speak French--when I listen to it, I use subs!
post #25 of 214 Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Disney's approach to dubs is stated to translate the film for an american audience, so there is no question they intend to alter the film to some degree. They do the same thing with their theme park attractions. There are certainly members of the audience who prefer the original intent, but there is no question that rethinking some of the voice casting can broaden the audience.

Pixar has also done this in the voice casting for their films in their theatrical release, the character of Crush in Nemo being an example.

As long as whatever version you prefer is available, not sure why there would be any contention.
post #26 of 214 Old 03-23-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sometimes a joke or concept is so grounded in the culture of whatever country it originated in that changes have to be made in the dub. Yu Yu Hakusho is still my favorite example of doing the right changes without losing the spirit of the original.

As for Ghibli news I found a rumor that Poppy Hill is next up for Japan. Which is one of the few not availible in the US...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #27 of 214 Old 03-24-2012, 04:22 AM

Well, Arrietty didn't get its U.S. theatrical run until February, so hardly surprising that Poppy Hill hasn't materialized here yet. I'm sure it'll get some sort of theatrical release eventually, but I'm also sure it'll be a lot more limited than what Arrietty and Ponyo got.
post #28 of 214 Old 03-24-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post

Well, Arrietty didn't get its U.S. theatrical run until February, so hardly surprising that Poppy Hill hasn't materialized here yet. I'm sure it'll get some sort of theatrical release eventually, but I'm also sure it'll be a lot more limited than what Arrietty and Ponyo got.

I actually had the whole theater to myself for Arrietty...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #29 of 214 Old 04-02-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whisper and Castle are up for preorder now on amazon (no ship date yet) price is rather high right now and Arrietty rose to match them...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #30 of 214 Old 04-02-2012, 03:12 PM

Liked: 50
Are Disney dnr-ing these, like they do their own movies?
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Howls Moving Castle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , My Neighbor Totoro Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Ponyo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Grave Of The Fireflies Blu Ray Widescreen , Whisper Of The Heart Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , From Up On Poppy Hill Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack , The Secret World Of Arrietty Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Castle In The Sky Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page