Harry Potter Wizard's Collection - $499, 31 discs - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
There was a long Harry Potter thread on this forum but it seems to have disappeared (didn't show up on the search).

WB couldn't resist closing Harry Potter vault for 2/3 of the year (when the "new" editions ships) and already ready to multi dip you with latest super expensive edition set in September. Only $349 off $499.

http://www.wbshop.com/product/code/1...e&ref=EHPWIZRE

The magical film franchise is now available in a spectacular limited-edition collectible box set. The most comprehensive Harry Potter movie collection yet features all eight films, exclusive never-before-seen content and must-have memorabilia. This new limited and numbered 31-disc collection contains all eight Harry Potter movies on Blu-ray, DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy and more than 37 hours of special features including all previously released materials and more than 10 hours of new to disc bonus content, and 5 hours of never-before-seen material. In addition to the theatrical release of every film, the collection also includes the extended versions of Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets; and the 3D versions of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows –- Parts 1 and 2. Films Included in Collection – All on Blu-ray, DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy · Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Theatrical Version and Extended Cut · Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Theatrical Version and Extended Cut · Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban · Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire · Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix · Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince · Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 2D and 3D Versions · Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 2D and 3D Versions Special Features for Hours of Entertainment · Harry Potter Wizard’s Collection Bonus Disc o Nearly 4 hours of features including: All New! “The Harry Potters You Never Met” - Watch how thrilling stunts from the films were performed, and learn about the tricks behind the major stunts in the series. · Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 Bonus Disc o Over 2 hours of features including: All New! “Creating the World of Harry Potter, Pt. 7: Story” · Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 Bonus Disc o Over 4 hours of features including: All New! “Creating the World of Harry Potter, Pt. 8: Growing Up” and All New! Extended “A Conversation with JK Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe” with 15 minutes of new footage

Shorter summary is you are getting the same recycled HP film editions that were already out. I read from an earlier source that most or all of the bonus materials were from the extra bonus disc exclusive to Best Buy or other stores. Oddly it didn't say to include "When Harry Left Hogwarts" that was only available with Target edition in US or with every UK edition.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 05-12-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There's hardly any talk about the quality of the scans. Unless I missed it, does this release include all new scans. And, does the resulting video look like the movie when it was projected at the theatres?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #33 of 53 Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 213
What? No. For better or worse, this set will have the same encodes as the Ultimate Editions.
post #34 of 53 Old 05-12-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

What? No. For better or worse, this set will have the same encodes as the Ultimate Editions.

I'm still waiting for Year 1 and 2 from Ultimate Edition as individual movie release. Question is when does WB decide the old edition individual version has dried up enough in the market to replace them with the newer edition.
post #35 of 53 Old 05-13-2012, 04:39 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Im still waiting for HP DH pt 1 and Pt 2 ultimate editions. Hoping they will be released soon.

Frank

post #36 of 53 Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 AM

How much longer are they going to pad out boxsets with useless DVDs and digital copies.

Of the 31 discs in this BLU-RAY set how many are actually Blu-rays?
post #37 of 53 Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAwesome View Post

How much longer are they going to pad out boxsets with useless DVDs and digital copies.

Of the 31 discs in this BLU-RAY set how many are actually Blu-rays?

By my reckoning, 12 out of the 31 are DVDs. It'll go a little somethin' like this:

HP1: 2x BD 2x DVD (basically, it's the 2 BD/1 DVD American UE + movie on DVD)
HP2: 2x BD 2x DVD
HP3: 2x BD 2x DVD
HP4: 2x BD 2x DVD
HP5: 2x BD 1x DVD (no more DVD extras discs from here on out)
HP6: 2x BD 1x DVD
HP7.1: 3x BD 1x DVD (BD tally includes the 3D platter)
HP7.2: 3x BD 1x DVD
+1 exclusive extras BD.
post #38 of 53 Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Im still waiting for HP DH pt 1 and Pt 2 ultimate editions. Hoping they will be released soon.

What particular features are you waiting for?

WB ruined the Ultimate Edition idea by changing the concept after the 2nd movie, so the sets are no longer consistent: no integrated deleted scenes and different packaging.

About the only new elements remaining of any substance are the PIP commentaries and the "World Of Harry Potter" series of features (which are only around 8GB in size).

Interestingly, the Australian 2-disc Collectors Editions included the "World Of Harry Potter" series of discs, that were otherwise only available through the Ultimate Editions.

I think it is mean of WB to not release the World Of Harry Potter as supplemental discs for purchase, but force consumers to re-purchase all their existing discs in the expensive Wizards Collection. It's moves like this by the studios that encourage consumers to ignore copyright IMO.
post #39 of 53 Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

What particular features are you waiting for?

None I just want it to match my set.I have all apart from these two on ultimate editions.

Frank

post #40 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
wow this is the highest priced box set i've ever seen.

you really have to love harry to buy this.

even lucas doesn't screw you over with prices like this.

neflixis our nemesis
post #41 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By my reckoning, 12 out of the 31 are DVDs. It'll go a little somethin' like this:

HP1: 2x BD 2x DVD (basically, it's the 2 BD/1 DVD American UE + movie on DVD)
HP2: 2x BD 2x DVD
HP3: 2x BD 2x DVD
HP4: 2x BD 2x DVD
HP5: 2x BD 1x DVD (no more DVD extras discs from here on out)
+1 exclusive extras BD.

From

Since the original standalone edition had the same amount of discs, I guess the "new" edition just recycle the discs.

I wouldn't be surprised if all but one disc are recycled. Making new contents bonus disc must be too expensive nowadays for Hollywood to multi-dip the buyers. So, all they are doing is print a new packaging box with none to minimal new contents bonus disc.
post #42 of 53 Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Over at WBShop, they are still selling the old editions, standalone and UE Harry Potter Blu-ray. Technically, Harry Potter vault is still closed whatever that means until Wizard Collection comes out.

http://www.wbshop.com/category/movie...&page=2&pp=215

Click on the left "Movie or Show" to see the Harry Potter films only.

The cheapest UE is Year 2 for $25 but other UE years are $35.
post #43 of 53 Old 05-21-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

From

Since the original standalone edition had the same amount of discs, I guess the "new" edition just recycle the discs.

I wouldn't be surprised if all but one disc are recycled. Making new contents bonus disc must be too expensive nowadays for Hollywood to multi-dip the buyers. So, all they are doing is print a new packaging box with none to minimal new contents bonus disc.

Yes and no. I've got no doubt that the extras discs for 7.1 and 7.2 will be those from the impending UE release, which (if 6 was anything to go by) will have the existing extras and the relevant instalment of 'The World Of Harry Potter' encoded on one disc.
post #44 of 53 Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes and no. I've got no doubt that the extras discs for 7.1 and 7.2 will be those from the impending UE release, which (if 6 was anything to go by) will have the existing extras and the relevant instalment of 'The World Of Harry Potter' encoded on one disc.

Still unknown if 7.2 will include "When Harry Left Hogwarts". It maybe new to US edition unless you got the Target or UK editions.

Best Buy had an exclusive extra bonus disc for 7.1. Maybe the new edition will throw the BB extras in.

It's just sad nowadays that if you are willing to double-dip, you can't even expect the double-dip will have a lot of new bonus materials. You get less bonus materials with some movies because all you get is a new slip on art with the 2nd bonus disc dropped.
post #45 of 53 Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like my prediction was wrong, HP5 will come with a special features DVD (even though the UE did not). No 3D editions of Deathly Hallows in this set, methinks.
post #46 of 53 Old 06-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Looks like my prediction was wrong, HP5 will come with a special features DVD (even though the UE did not). No 3D editions of Deathly Hallows in this set, methinks.

We already know what discs are going to be in this set. The 3D versions of DH 1&2 will be included.
post #47 of 53 Old 06-03-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's odd that HP5 special features in on DVD, not Blu-ray. If it's only on DVD disc, it would suggest the special features were previously released as exclusive to someone.

Part of HP UE earlier years bonus materials are on DVD. Lords of the Ring Theater Edition bonus materials disc is also DVD. The Extended Edition, 9 bonus materials disc are also on DVD. True that WB recycled all the bonus discs but for someone who bought the movies on Blu-ray for the 1st time, all the buyer sees is more DVD discs in the boxset than Blu-ray Blu-ray. I can see WB sees that as cost savings but it's worse the double-dipping because not only the buyer gets is same bonus materials but on DVD discs when they pay for Blu-ray for the boxset.
post #48 of 53 Old 06-03-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

It's odd that HP5 special features in on DVD, not Blu-ray. If it's only on DVD disc, it would suggest the special features were previously released as exclusive to someone.

Looking on dvdcompare.net, it appears that there was indeed some content on the 2-disc DVD which didn't make it onto the UE, hence its inclusion on this set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftyeyes View Post

We already know what discs are going to be in this set. The 3D versions of DH 1&2 will be included.

Oh, okay. But after HP5 there's only 11 discs left out of the 31, 1 of which is the exclusive bonus platter. So that's 10 discs for the remaining 3 movies. We know that there will be a minimum of 1x movie BD, 1x special features BD and 1x movie DVD for each one, so that's 9 discs right there! With only 1 disc remaining, there's no more room for the standalone 3D editions of HP 7.1 and 7.2, so unless they've done a 2D/3D encode something's gotta give.
post #49 of 53 Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I think most of us can agree that we are want each movie to be available as individual film for purchase. Many of us are very interested in HP Year 1 and 2 from the UE without having to buy UE set.

Personally, I have seen enough "behind the scenes" bonus materials. Adding a few minutes here and there of "behind the scenes" that were found on the cutting floor just don't interest me anymore. It's like the Blu-ray of Ext. Ed. Lord of the Rings bonus 9 DVD discs. After I tried to watch through all of them, they were just want too much materials especially some of the "behind the scenes" dragged out for too long until some became uninteresting.
post #50 of 53 Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The trick is, not to watch it all at once.

biggrin.gif
post #51 of 53 Old 06-09-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The disc layout is up at amazon.com, and it looks like I was right the first time: HP5 does NOT come with a disc of DVD extras, and HP 7.1 & 7.2 have separate 2D and 3D platters.
post #52 of 53 Old 06-09-2012, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are the details from Amazon site:
Films Included in Collection

Disc 1: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Theatrical Version + Extended Version + Extra Content (Blu-ray)

Disc 2: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Theatrical Version (DVD)

Disc 3: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Creating The World: The Magic Begins (Blu-ray)

Disc 4: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Disc 2 from the Special Edition (DVD)

Disc 5: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Theatrical Version + Extended Version + Extra Content (Blu-ray)

Disc 6: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Theatrical Version (DVD)

Disc 7: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Creating the World: Characters (Blu-ray)

Disc 8: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Disc 2 from the Special Edition (DVD)

Disc 9: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Theatrical Version (Blu-ray)

Disc 10: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Theatrical Version (DVD)

Disc 11: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Creating the World: Creatures (Blu-ray)

Disc 12: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Disc 2 from the Special Edition (DVD)

Disc 13: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Theatrical Version (Blu-ray)

Disc 14: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Theatrical Version (DVD)

Disc 15: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Creating the World: Sound & Music (Blu-ray)

Disc 16: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Disc 2 from the Special Edition (DVD)

Disc 17: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Theatrical Version + Extra Content (Blu-ray)

Disc 18: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Theatrical Version (DVD)

Disc 19: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Creating the World: Evolution (Blu-ray)

Disc 20: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Theatrical Version + Extra Content (Blu-ray)

Disc 21: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Theatrical Version (DVD)

Disc 22: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Creating the World: Magical Effects + Extra Content (Blu-ray)

Disc 23: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 Theatrical Version + Extra Content (Blu-ray)

Disc 24: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 Theatrical Version (DVD)

Disc 25: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1, Creating the World: Story + Extra Content (Blu-ray)

Disc 26: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (Blu-ray 3D)

Disc 27: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 Theatrical Version + Extra Content (Blu-ray)

Disc 28: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 Theatrical Version (DVD)

Disc 29: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, Creating the World: Growing Up + Extra Content (Blu-ray)

Disc 30: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (Blu-ray 3D)

Disc 31: Wizard's Collection Exclusive Bonus Disc (Blu-ray)

Check back to this product detail page for further details.

(c) 2012 Warner Bros Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved. Harry Potter Publishing Rights (c) J.K.R. Harry Potter characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and (c) Warner Bros Entertainment Inc.

http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-Collection-Blu-ray-UltraViolet-Digital/dp/B007FSEAHY/ref=sr_1_14?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1339309968&sr=1-14&keywords=harry+potter

Just look at Amazon on 194 reviewers gave it 1 star rating when I posted this.
post #53 of 53 Old 06-10-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad I still have my HD DVD collection, think I paid 70.00 on Amazon at the time. At least with the HD DVD collection you got some pretty good collectibles.

Limited Edition Package Includes:
Special Trunk Packaging
Two-Disc Editions of Harry Potter 1-5
Harry Potter Interactive DVD Game
5 Collectible Bookmarks
16 Collectible Trading Cards
3 Hours of Special Content
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
2001 International TV Special: A Glimpse Into the World of Harry Potter
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version