Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I should put a disclaimer on all of my reviews: "Ignore everything I say about image quality."
I calls them like I sees them. You don't have to agree.
-Bill
So your not going too answer my questions??

No. I wrote a review. In it I said what I had to say. You should write a review and say what you have to say.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 07-21-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Got my Altered States Blu-Ray. Will be watching it tonight with a pal. I took a look at various scenes last night (JVC RS55 projector, big screen). I'm happy with the transfer. Good detail - though not reference as it comes and goes. Clear image. Good black levels. Color seems a bit over saturated to me sometimes, skin tones a bit ruddy (my projector has been calibrated). It does seem somewhat smoothed over (DNR) to some degree.

Sound is fairly rich and spacious - the dialogue just a bit thin here and there, but over all sound effects are well rendered. The score, a particularly important and awesome part of this movie, sounds great - clear and rich with a nice sense of spaciousness (though not with the last bit of body you get with the best reproductions on Blu-Ray).

Overall though it's a huge step up from the DVD and a wonderful viewing experience on a large screen. Can't wait to watch it tonight.

Rich H

post #63 of 68 Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Watched Altered States at about 124" diagonal last night (10 foot viewing distance).

Wow, what an experience! Pure cinema, fantastic images, superb sound. I still LOVE this film, it holds up so well. It's remains my favorite William Hurt performance, like a force of intellectual nature charging through
the narrative, dragging everyone in his wake. I love everything about this movie (who can get that vision of Hurt and Blair Brown turning into sand out of their memory, once you've seen it?).

C'mon. The disc is out, where's the action Can't we get any more Altered States love happenin'?

Rich H

post #64 of 68 Old 07-22-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

who can get that vision of Hurt and Blair Brown turning into sand out of their memory, once you've seen it?

She turned into a reptile as well. Then he killed the reptile when stoned and I was consequently worried the first time I saw this.

I got love; did you see my review?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #65 of 68 Old 07-22-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

It's hard to know what to compare this to; there's nothing quite like it. I see some describe it as "body horror", so we might pull in David Cronenberg. But this is a warmer and more fun film than something like Videodrome, a good movie in its own way.

Ken Russell never did anything else similar. I've reviewed a few of his other films:

I have the new UK DVD of The Devils on hand but am waiting for a good moment. It has a fearsome reputation and I've never seen it.

I remember hearing that Russell had both pre- and post-acid work, but googling I'm not finding any commentary on that, so maybe it was just a story. There are several biographies and I should get one.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #66 of 68 Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have to say this blu-ray looked pretty amazing in my HT on my 65" Panasoic plasma. I've never seen it look so good. When Hurt transforms into the energy blob for lack of a better word and he/it is throbbing in the tank, I actually saw his head plain as day for the first time ever! Checked the scene on the DVD and nothing, just a blotchy mess. Really do enjoy this flick and chuckle every time I watch it after I forgot how lame/hokey that ending is. Still, I love the dialogue-"I don't know...She's still crazy about him...he's still crazy". Great writing, Paddy, er I mean Sidney.

post #67 of 68 Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I have the new UK DVD of The Devils on hand but am waiting for a good moment. It has a fearsome reputation and I've never seen it.
I remember hearing that Russell had both pre- and post-acid work, but googling I'm not finding any commentary on that, so maybe it was just a story. There are several biographies and I should get one.-Bill

I saw The Devils in the theater when it was released and read Huxley's book, but I don't remember either of them well at all. I recall Oliver Reed had his eyebrows insured in case they didn't grow back after being shaved off for the film; apparently some persons' don't if they're shaved.
post #68 of 68 Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched last night... wow. I don't think I've seen this in over 20 years and I'm just shocked how well this film as aged - including the effects. There is such an organic feel that CGI simply could not replicate. Probably the best $4.99 I've ever spent on a BR.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page