Red Tails - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 70 Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
it's hard, but sometimes i actually feel sorry for lucas.

here he goes out of pocket to tell a very important story from ww2, which
had lasting impacts on the u.s. military and people still rip him for s.w. changes
or the b.r. release.

i'm glad he made the movie. he clearly didn't do this to make money but to
tell history and people are pissing all over him.

don't forget that, in part due to the tuskagee airmen, prez truman desegregated the military shortly after the end of ww2.

i definitely will rent, but this won't make my rather selective br library list.

neflixis our nemesis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

I guess you'll just have to wait to see if the Red Tails BD says something like "playback in 9.1 or higher requires use of an Auro-3D decoder (available separately!)" in order to find out whether it will let you 'replicate your theater experience' . . . "for a few dollars more"...?!

I leave that to those who are really curious. As it is, most 5.1 mixes can be matrixed into 7.1, 9.1, or 11.1, depending upon your AVR. As to PLIIz, that refers to height speaker (the post below yours) and is quite neat because it is extraction from the front left and right speaker outputs and is totally different than floor wide speakers, also known as DSX (an Audyssey room correction exclusive).
post #33 of 70 Old 03-30-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi-def digest release news,

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Detailed/9131

Also reads as 5.1 only...
post #34 of 70 Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had to re-post this users comments, as it's exactly what I am hoping for from this flick.

"As for the film itself, I enjoyed it for the kind of cinema experience it was intended to be, which had nothing to do with the realistic, contemporary drama/history lesson standards that critics and naysayers kept applying. Lucas himself pretty much summed up the movie in a USA TODAY interview: "For me, Red Tails is like Flying Leathernecks. It's corny. It's über-patriotic. And it's a really exciting action-adventure movie."

And that is definitely what I took away from it. Red Tails was fun and highly stylized (even artful in such a way) as a vintage war movie from the 1940s and 50s, complete with broad character types and comic-strip dialogue. I had no problem with the heavy CGI neither. Yes, I could tell that what I was seeing was digital, if for no other reason than due to the instant logic that no aerial dogfights could ever be filmed this way with live action planes not without mass destruction and likely death. But I don't demand absolute realism from visual effects. Never have. What I demand is a comprehensive, fully realized on-screen creation of something that is (nearly) impossible to render without FX of one kind or another. And I think Red Tails was quite dazzling on that level; vivid, colorfully vibrant and virtuoso.

I imagine it's going to look aces on Blu-ray. It'll be a day-one for me"

cheers,
post #35 of 70 Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 79
According to DATASAT--whose AP243D cinema processor includes the decoder for (theatrical presentation) Auro-3D--there are "5 new titles scheduled for [theatrical] release in 2012 in Auro-3D" (link to DATASAT web page . . . which contains NO additional information as of April 5, 2012).

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #36 of 70 Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

I imagine it's going to look aces on Blu-ray. It'll be a day-one for me"

cheers,

Same for me too.

Frank

post #37 of 70 Old 04-05-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 320
If Lucas really cared about telling the story of the Tuskegee airmen he would have gotten a really good script and used as much real life dog fight stunt work as possible instead of the fake CGI effects.

But after the god awful Star Wars special editions and prequels and Indy 4, I can see he really has lost it. A good businessman, maybe. A good filmmaker with a talent for story, not so much.

So, was this originally a 7.1 discrete mix?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #38 of 70 Old 04-05-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

If Lucas really cared about telling the story of the Tuskegee airmen he would have gotten a really good script and used as much real life dog fight stunt work as possible instead of the fake CGI effects.

So did you actually see it or is this the usual Lucas bashing?

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #39 of 70 Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

So did you actually see it or is this the usual Lucas bashing?

Your question implies that people who are critical of Lucas haven't seen his films. What do you base that on?
post #40 of 70 Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Your question implies that people who are critical of Lucas haven't seen his films. What do you base that on?

I'm not asking you.

post #41 of 70 Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not asking you.

Yes, I have seen it.

post #42 of 70 Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Instead of going with yet another audio format for the home... why not just add channel capabilities on to the true lossless codecs already out: Dolby TrueHD (aka Meridian Lossless Packing) and DTS-Master Audio? I read somewhere that they can do about 16 discrete channels.

The Octopus codec is not a true lossless codec according the white paper. It's considered a lossy format, hence the much higher compression ratio.

According to Roger Dressler, D-Cinema audio processors can already do 16 channels of uncompressed LPCM! Why the need for this format and the fees involved anyway?

Don't need it... it'll just add to the confusion. Some people have a hard enough time putting a 7.1 system in their homes, let alone an 11.1 system!

How many channels do we really need for the consumer market? I'd think sticking with 8 channel discrete surround using a true lossless codec and putting more effort into getting true 4k, as-close-to-the-master-as-possible video with a quality wavelet video codec would be better time spent.

post #43 of 70 Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

How many channels do we really need for the consumer market? I'd think sticking with 8 channel discrete surround using a true lossless codec and putting more effort into getting true 4k, as-close-to-the-master-as-possible video with a quality wavelet video codec would be better time spent.

Spot on Dan

Frank

post #44 of 70 Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Agreed! In fact every BD would be served best as PCM 7.1, there is enough space on the discs.
cheers
post #45 of 70 Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 AM

Liked: 50
Why limit anything? just move extras onto another disc.
Also, every disc in 7.1?? Really? Original audio only please no remixes unless they include the original sound.
post #46 of 70 Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

I had to re-post this users comments, as it's exactly what I am hoping for from this flick.

"As for the film itself, I enjoyed it for the kind of cinema experience it was intended to be, which had nothing to do with the realistic, contemporary drama/history lesson standards that critics and naysayers kept applying. Lucas himself pretty much summed up the movie in a USA TODAY interview: "For me, Red Tails is like Flying Leathernecks. It's corny. It's über-patriotic. And it's a really exciting action-adventure movie."

And that is definitely what I took away from it. Red Tails was fun and highly stylized (even artful in such a way) as a vintage war movie from the 1940s and ‘50s, complete with broad character types and comic-strip dialogue. I had no problem with the heavy CGI neither. Yes, I could tell that what I was seeing was digital, if for no other reason than due to the instant logic that no aerial dogfights could ever be filmed this way with live action planes …not without mass destruction and likely death. But I don’t demand absolute realism from visual effects. Never have. What I demand is a comprehensive, fully realized on-screen creation of something that is (nearly) impossible to render without FX of one kind or another. And I think Red Tails was quite dazzling on that level; vivid, colorfully vibrant and virtuoso.

I imagine it’s going to look aces on Blu-ray. It’ll be a day-one for me"

cheers,

Maybe that's what people take issue with. Perhaps something a serious as the fight for equality among those who wanted to fight along side those who are white should be taken more seriously, in the way "Band of Brothers" was.

Perhaps a little more "Saving Private Ryan" and a little less "Pearl Harbor" might be in order.

If we want corny action sequences filled with CGI, there's always "Transformers".

BTW: aside from Pearl harbor, all the productions I mentioned had Steven Spielberg's hands on them in some fashion (even if was just in a producer role). What that means is he understands the difference in how you should present a story and how much respect it deserves.

In other words, he understands when he's making a Michael Bay-type movie and when he's not.

Had "Schindler's List" taken on the form of "Indiana Jones", "Hogan's Heroes" or "Inglourious Basterds", its impact would have been far less. Each of those is great in its own right, but far from appropriate to the story of Schindler.
post #47 of 70 Old 05-18-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The first review I have found.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Tails-Blu-ray/35940/

Sounds like a winner for AQ/PQ, looking forward to grabbing this Tuesday.
cheers
post #48 of 70 Old 05-18-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cheers

Sweet, I'll be grabbing this on Wednesday - after the folks the buy it on Tuesday sell it on Craigslist.
post #49 of 70 Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

cheers

I might get this on Amazon. Looks good.

Frank

post #50 of 70 Old 05-18-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I checked to see who wrote this after watching it. I was amazed to see that it wasn't George Lucas, as the dialogue is atrocious. Gorgeous presentation, though.
post #51 of 70 Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

I checked to see who wrote this after watching it. I was amazed to see that it wasn't George Lucas, as the dialogue is atrocious.

Yup, on the level of an after-school special. Unfortunately, that's been typical of the dialogue in Lucas' last few productions (except, maybe, Indy 4).

Sanjay
post #52 of 70 Old 05-18-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Yup, on the level of an after-school special. Unfortunately, that's been typical of the dialogue in Lucas' last few productions (except, maybe, Indy 4).

Including Indy 4.

Lucas is a business man not a film maker anymore. In fact, the last actual good movie he personally directed was American Graffiti.

The original 1977 A New Hope wasn't half bad either. Then he did the prequels and special editions. My brain still feels assaulted after those CGI pieces of ----.

These heroes from Tuskegee deserve a really good, dramatic film made of their exploits, not this schlock.

post #53 of 70 Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Having just seen the trailer again....

The best PQ/AQ rating in the world doesn't change that this film looks like pure torture for the sensitive soul to sit through. I leave it to those with hardier constitutions for clumsy, cornball, schlocky drama...
post #54 of 70 Old 05-19-2012, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These heroes from Tuskegee deserve a really good, dramatic film made of their exploits, not this schlock.

You might want to do a little more research before launching into yet another Lucas-bashing session.

post #55 of 70 Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Having just seen the trailer again....

The best PQ/AQ rating in the world doesn't change that this film looks like pure torture for the sensitive soul to sit through. I leave it to those with hardier constitutions for clumsy, cornball, schlocky drama...

Understood. But some of us like a sonic experience. I have many BDs that I just throw in to watch certain scenes from time to time. This sounds like a perfect film for those duties.
post #56 of 70 Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You might want to do a little more research before launching into yet another Lucas-bashing session.

You're kind of touchy when it comes to "the flanneled one," aren't you?

I saw the Larry Fishburne movie and I liked it, but I still think they could do an even better drama than that.

post #57 of 70 Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 AM

For the ones who have already watched the blu ray...How's the PQ/AQ? Tier 0/1 material?
post #58 of 70 Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabgon View Post

For the ones who have already watched the blu ray...How's the PQ/AQ? Tier 0/1 material?

Both picture and audio are top notch. (Dedicated theatre room with 8 foot screen)

I actually liked the movie a lot. It is corny and hokey, no doubt, but it takes me back the WWII films of the 40's and 50's. The dialog is that way on purpose.

For those that are insulted that the subject wasn't taken more seriously, there is already HBO's 'The Tuskegee Airmen' out there to watch.

Even though it is mostly CGI, the dogfights are very well done. People need to remember that very few WWII aircraft survive in flying condition. Plus they are extremely valuable.

Others opinions may...and probably will....vary.

Art
post #59 of 70 Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

the one thing that still bothers me about this one... the final battle against the ME-262s

knowing how these things were armed a P51 taking direct hits would be burning wreckage falling like a rock

i should watch it a little more closely to see if they pull any maneuvers that a 262 couldn't have done without having the engines burst into flames... 262s weren't too well suited for dog fighting as the engines were very sensitive to sudden changes in throttle... they were very well suited for hitting bombers because they can zoom in, hit the bombers with their 30mm guns, and zoom out before anyone knew what hit them, then loop around and do it again

all that said it was worth the rental and i might buy it if it drops below $10... excellent PQ/AQ and not too bad a movie
post #60 of 70 Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

all that said it was worth the rental and i might buy it if it drops below $10... excellent PQ/AQ and not too bad a movie

I saw NO mention of Galaxy Studios or Auro-Technologies on the Red Tails BD cover or cardboard slip jacket. So I guess we'll still have to wait until the first (Home Theater) Auro-3D decoders appear (in late 2012?) to find out definitively whether this BD's 5.1 LPCM [decoded from DTS-HDMA] soundtrack is the (theatrical) "single inventory" (5.1) Auro-encoded PCM stream or the "vanilla" (but supposedly indistinguishable acoustically) 5.1 surround mix.

[As the DTS-HDMA encode process and manufacturing cost of the Red Tails BD would be identical regardless of which 5.1 LPCM soundtrack is used, it's hard to imagine why Lucasfilm would miss out on the chance for an additional sales bump next year when there will still be very few Auro-3D encoded albums or movies available to exploit the (new) decoder's capabilities. ]

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page