post #61 of 70 Old 05-23-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Both picture and audio are top notch. (Dedicated theatre room with 8 foot screen)

I actually liked the movie a lot. It is corny and hokey, no doubt, but it takes me back the WWII films of the 40's and 50's. The dialog is that way on purpose.

For those that are insulted that the subject wasn't taken more seriously, there is already HBO's 'The Tuskegee Airmen' out there to watch.

Even though it is mostly CGI, the dogfights are very well done. People need to remember that very few WWII aircraft survive in flying condition. Plus they are extremely valuable.

Others opinions may...and probably will....vary.

Art

Agreed!! Terrific quality, maybe tier 0 for PQ and 1 for AQ.
Movie was not as bad as expected, the dialogue is corny and sometimes annoying between the 2 main pilots but overall worth it.
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 05-24-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

the one thing that still bothers me about this one... the final battle against the ME-262s

knowing how these things were armed a P51 taking direct hits would be burning wreckage falling like a rock

i should watch it a little more closely to see if they pull any maneuvers that a 262 couldn't have done without having the engines burst into flames... 262s weren't too well suited for dog fighting as the engines were very sensitive to sudden changes in throttle... they were very well suited for hitting bombers because they can zoom in, hit the bombers with their 30mm guns, and zoom out before anyone knew what hit them, then loop around and do it again

all that said it was worth the rental and i might buy it if it drops below $10... excellent PQ/AQ and not too bad a movie

You're exactly right. THe 262 had huge more powerful cannons and relative to the machine guns on the P-51 but had about as much power as a Prius. If they were carrying bombs, I believe it was at a cost of fire power.

Did you ever play this game? It was our favorite in High School back in the 80s. Played on a hex board, each plane was on a card with all throttle, maneuverability and gun characteristics. It's a great dogfighting game!

For instance, it has the ME-262 at '36' guns (higher is more guns) while the P-51a has a wimpy '12' guns (but almost triple the maneuverability at most altitudes).

Can't wait to see it!@
LL
LL

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #63 of 70 Old 05-24-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

...262s weren't too well suited for dog fighting as the engines were very sensitive to sudden changes in throttle... they were very well suited for hitting bombers because they can zoom in, hit the bombers with their 30mm guns, and zoom out before anyone knew what hit them, then loop around and do it again...

The ME 262 was too fast to shoot particularly accurately at the bombers. Their most effective tactic was to attack from the side as depicted in Red Tails. A few of the 262's were equipped with rockets which were more effective than the cannons.

I really like the movie. I watched it last night. I liked the special features where I saw 3 surviving Red Tails and a widow or two. I think that the film was well researched and presented.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #64 of 70 Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I might bite on this as a WWII buff but I'm not expecting a whole lot. However, there are enough of you stating that's it's not terrible to warrant a viewing.
post #65 of 70 Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #66 of 70 Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

I might bite on this as a WWII buff but I'm not expecting a whole lot. However, there are enough of you stating that's it's not terrible to warrant a viewing.

iMO if you want a good movie on the Tuskegee Airmen then watch the HBO original which was miles better than this movie. iMO this was low budget and showed From the acting to the SFX I was greatly disappointed in the efforts put forth. Maybe for eye/ear candy only but as a film can't recommend this movie.
post #67 of 70 Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

Recommended viewing before purchase...

OMG I love RLM!
post #68 of 70 Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

iMO this was low budget and showed From the acting to the SFX I was greatly disappointed in the efforts put forth.

I won't debate the merits of the film, but I highly disagree about the quality of the SFX. Did you watch the special feature about it? I was surprised how much digital work they did on it. Much more than just the aircraft.

It looked/sounded great on my 8 foot screen.
post #69 of 70 Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Both picture and audio are top notch. (Dedicated theatre room with 8 foot screen)

I actually liked the movie a lot. It is corny and hokey, no doubt, but it takes me back the WWII films of the 40's and 50's. The dialog is that way on purpose.

For those that are insulted that the subject wasn't taken more seriously, there is already HBO's 'The Tuskegee Airmen' out there to watch.

Even though it is mostly CGI, the dogfights are very well done. People need to remember that very few WWII aircraft survive in flying condition. Plus they are extremely valuable.

Others opinions may...and probably will....vary.

Art

I also enjoyed this film kept me entertained to the end.

Frank

post #70 of 70 Old 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Auro-3D 11.1 soundtrack? Several German and Swiss websites seem to be claiming the 5/17/2013 German language release of Red Tails on Blu-Ray from Capelight will contain both a German Dubbed DTS-HDMA 7.1 soundtrack and an English language Auro-3D 11.1 soundtrack, backward compatible with LPCM 5.1 . . . and possibly wrapped in a DTS-HDMA 5.1 encode? cool.gif

This kerfuffle looks to have originated from the Capelight Product Info sheet (link) . . . which might only be the result of a simple misunderstanding mad.gif

. . . or perhaps it's correct, and the first HT Auro-3D decoders are about to appear! biggrin.gif

Either way, look out for any European website postings addressing this issue in the second half of May! biggrin.gifeek.gifcool.gif
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page