The Chemical Brothers - Don't Think - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This live concert from Japan just came out on CD/DVD/BluRay. It says it's the first concert BluRay to be mixed in 7.1.

Anyone give it a watch and listen yet? I've only got 5.1 so when my copy gets here I won't be able to comment on the full mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-31-2012, 11:00 AM

Liked: 10
I received my copy from Amazon yesterday. I'm not sure if it's the US version, I had remembered reading it was Dolby TrueHD 7.1 but my disc is DTS HD 7.1.

The surround mix is very good, it seems more coherent and has a more defined mid bass than the Tiesto Elements of Life BR. Early in the show the mix briefly places you in the crowd maybe 20-30 people from the stage with the crowd noise ahead of you coming from the LCR. Definitely a cool effect that builds anticipation. This then shifts to a more traditional arrangement with the majority of the music up front and crowd noise filling the surrounds.

My one complaint was the LFE level seemed low, even absent in some sections compared to the other channels. I rarely will adjust my subwoofer gain post-calibration but did so here.

Content-wise I thought they put on a great show, this being my first proper exposure to the Chemical Brothers. Some of the images are strange, it's fun to see the crowd reactions to the clowns, spiders, and other generally "trippy" effects. A few of the extended strobe effects can be a little much. Overall fun to watch with plenty of visual variety.

For reference, my 6.1 audio chain is:
Denon 3312
Emotiva XPA-5 amp
1 pair Sierra-1s front L/R
A new Sierra Tower Center
1 pair Sierra-1s surround L/R
1 Sierra-1 Center as surround back
SVS PB-12 NSD subwoofer
post #3 of 5 Old 04-01-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevenG View Post

I received my copy from Amazon yesterday. I'm not sure if it's the US version, I had remembered reading it was Dolby TrueHD 7.1 but my disc is DTS HD 7.1.

The surround mix is very good, it seems more coherent and has a more defined mid bass than the Tiesto Elements of Life BR. Early in the show the mix briefly places you in the crowd maybe 20-30 people from the stage with the crowd noise ahead of you coming from the LCR. Definitely a cool effect that builds anticipation. This then shifts to a more traditional arrangement with the majority of the music up front and crowd noise filling the surrounds.

My one complaint was the LFE level seemed low, even absent in some sections compared to the other channels. I rarely will adjust my subwoofer gain post-calibration but did so here.

Content-wise I thought they put on a great show, this being my first proper exposure to the Chemical Brothers. Some of the images are strange, it's fun to see the crowd reactions to the clowns, spiders, and other generally "trippy" effects. A few of the extended strobe effects can be a little much. Overall fun to watch with plenty of visual variety.

For reference, my 6.1 audio chain is:
Denon 3312
Emotiva XPA-5 amp
1 pair Sierra-1s front L/R
A new Sierra Tower Center
1 pair Sierra-1s surround L/R
1 Sierra-1 Center as surround back
SVS PB-12 NSD subwoofer

Ah good to know the "clown" visual made it to this release. I remember a friend yelling something about "Hail Satan, Satan is Lord" when that came on the screen during their North Coast Music Festival show in Chicago, IL in 2010.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-28-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevenG View Post

same experience here. I bumped up mine by 6db and I cannot think of another time I had to do this. It's DTS-HD MA on Bluray. I am curious if Dolby mix on the DVD has the same issue.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-13-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I spun this one on my system last night (I use a 7.0 system, my L/C/R go low so no need for a sub).

I don't know what the deal is but this is perhaps the most disappointing sound mix I've ever experienced! I love the Chemical Brothers. It was advertised as: "Don't Think is the first concert film to feature Dolby 7:1 surround sound, mixed for the screen by the band, and includes 2 new Chemical Brothers tracks."

Which sounded damned promising, and it was reviewed well. But when I put it on I thought something was wrong with the disc, or with my system. The sound was mixed so predominantly to the center channel, it sounded for all the world like a mono movie mix, with tiny whisps of crowd coming out the rest of the speakers. I waited, and waited for something to happen in the mix, for the music to expand, the sound to become powerful and immersive, but it stayed the entire time in the center channel!
And far from putting me in the crowd at a concert, sound-wise the music was placed in no particular dimension - it just sounded dry, like a through-the-board feed.

Wow was it disapointing, watching those amazing visuals with the sound stuck in the center channel.

To double check, I switched to some music channels on my TV - yup, all were pouring richly out of all my speakers, like I expected for the concert. I played some other Blu-rays. Yup, all sounded fine, all my channels fully active. So it wasn't my system.

I'm just baffled by this mix (and baffled why anyone hasn't mentioned this, reviews included). (I did try the stereo mix and even THAT was FAR more spread out and immersive than the 7.1 mix).

Anyone else have this disc and find the same?

ETA: Well...it turns out that for some reason the disc had defaulted to the 2 channel mix, and in the "dolby surround" mode on my receiver it made that weird center-channel mix. Why a 7.1 mixed disc would default to the 2 channel selection is very strange. But once I selected the 7.1 mix...all is well in the world. Sounds fantastic!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page