post #271 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

The new release looks terrific and film like! Some of the posts on here are very puzzling indeed.
The new release is more film like, however it's also true that the colors seem a bit washed out and there's little to no actual black displayed in any of the screen shots. Yes, the DE release is blown out, but that doesn't mean the new release is accurate or attractive when it comes to colors and contrast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I know that the blacks are crushed in the old release. The problem is the (almost?) complete lack of actual black in the new release. Neither is correct, IMO.
post #273 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Oh, I know that the blacks are crushed in the old release. The problem is the (almost?) complete lack of actual black in the new release. Neither is correct, IMO.

New one is director approved transfer / color. It is correct.
post #274 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:

DJ Mike, your statement boggles my mind. The complete 100% opposite is true. The old DE release's contrast is nasty overblown. The new Rekall edition looks perfect. The new edition has more detail. All I see in the old release is severe EE, blown out contrast, completely wrong color grading, digital sharpening, blotchy grain, etc. Some detail in the old ugly transfer is more apparent because of the nasty EE, contrast boosting, and sharpening. The new release has all of the detail visible in the old master times at least two. Virtually nothing is lost in the contrast, or shadows.
The new release looks terrific and film like! Some of the posts on here are very puzzling indeed.

Judging from the screenshots (As I have not seen the disc myself) I have to agree with you. I look forward to watching this next week. I sold my UK copy about a year ago for the exact reasons you stated: "severe EE, blown out contrast, completely wrong color grading, digital sharpening, blotchy grain, etc." And thankfully I see none of that in this new release.
post #275 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion250 View Post

Director approved and years down the line is not the same as correct.
post #276 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 05:18 PM

Liked: 54
Quote:

Of course. Clearly, when presented with two opinions on the look of this release - one being that of the film's director and the other that of an anonymous poster who likely hasn't even watched the disc in question (and has had absolutely nothing to do with any part of the film's creation or release,) we should defer to the random poster... rolleyes.gif

Me? I'll reserve judgement until I pick this bad boy up for roughly $5 (with DVD trade-in) at Best Buy when it's released.
post #277 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 05:36 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

Of course. Clearly, when presented with two opinions on the look of this release - one being that of the film's director and the other that of an anonymous poster who likely hasn't even watched the disc in question (and has had absolutely nothing to do with any part of the film's creation or release,) we should defer to the random poster... rolleyes.gif
Me? I'll reserve judgement until I pick this bad boy up for roughly $5 (with DVD trade-in) at Best Buy when it's released.

Dracula Star Wars and French Connection show directors are fallible
post #278 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why do so many of you want this excellent release to fail? What's the hidden agenda? Director approved color grading, new modern 2K scan from the negative, zero DNR, zero EE, filmlike grain, no excessive digital sharpening, etc. It seems like there's nothing left to pick on in this release, so color grading it is. Maybe we can also pick on the Blu-Ray's cover? Or the font?
You're inventing conflicts in your head.

Maybe you missed the part where I said the new release is better? Or that I had pre-ordered it and was keeping my pre-order despite my misgivings? Has anybody actually said that they wanted the release to "fail"?
post #279 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

The contrast is blown out so badly in this shot the explosion has no detail left:
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?art=part&x=685&y=305&action=1&image=4&hd_multiID=63&cap1=10597&cap2=12468&disc1=1092&disc2=1314&lossless=1#vergleich
I'm sticking with my cheap UK original.

That does indeed look better in the old release. Another bit is that the "SHARPER" neon sign looks like it's been turned off in the new release (this has already been mentioned elsewhere):
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=1092&disc2=1314&cap1=10602&cap2=12473&art=full&image=9&hd_multiID=63&action=1&lossless=1

For the most part, the new release looks better to me (you can plainly see the white crush in the old release in the neon sign directly below the "SHARPER" one), but something seems fishy about it, like some kind of filter was used or something.
post #280 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:

While I sometimes agree a director doesn't know alot about PQ and banding issues on a bluray. They always get the color right as they envisioned it. And the new one has better PQ anyways. So it wins on both levels.. Color and PQ..
post #281 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

The contrast is blown out so badly in this shot the explosion has no detail left:
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?art=part&x=685&y=305&action=1&image=4&hd_multiID=63&cap1=10597&cap2=12468&disc1=1092&disc2=1314&lossless=1#vergleich
I'm sticking with my cheap UK original.
The contrast is not "blown out". The new transfer has lower contrast in that shot. The tonal range in the highlights is compressed to emulate the look of a film print, as is often the case with new transfers.
Here's what you get if you increase the contrast around the highlights in photoshop and make some attempt to match the color timing: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3179/tr2r.jpg
post #282 of 547 Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Yeah, people keep throwing around the term "contrast boosting." If there's a problem with contrast on this new release, it's the opposite of that.
post #283 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 AM

Liked: 11
"Blown out" was a poor choice of words - I do in fact mean, by all respects, the contrast in this film is almost non-existent. So some people are saying that this is because it emulates the look of a film print. Be that as it may, I have trouble believing the film would have ever looked this dull and lifeless in the cinema. Since it has been 20 years since this film was at the cinema, unless someone has an actual print copy of the film they'd like to demonstrate, I doubt we're going to get an answer beyond hearsay and "what people remember".

To me, the remaster looks too dull. Yes, it is (slightly) more detailed, the grain is natural, there is a lack of edge enhancement and DNR. These are positives. But the original Blu-ray isn't a Patton-esque or BTTF or Star Wars travesty. To me, the colour of the original is just more natural and pleasing.
post #284 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion250 View Post

Most Directors do one thing...direct. When it comes to color and other aspects of post is that a 'director approved' print means nothing to me....I've seen too many examples of this to really hold true. I know the DE (or '08 UK) version looks molested, but I definatly prefer that version over this flat and drab version that is 'approved'....to each his own, and I'm am not doing a re-buy cool.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #285 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

Most Directors do one thing...direct. When it comes to color and other aspects of post is that a 'director approved' print means nothing to me....I've seen too many examples of this to really hold true. I know the DE (or '08 UK) version looks molested, but I definatly prefer that version over this flat and drab version that is 'approved'....to each his own, and I'm am not doing a re-buy cool.gif

Right.. I guess Schindler's list should be in color then :P

The DE has contrast problems. And that is a fact not my opinion.

Believe it or not. Some Director approved transfer are correct. Esp when it comes to color.
post #286 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 03:56 AM

Liked: 11
I wonder if this release is cinematographer-approved.
post #287 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 AM

post #288 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

"Blown out" was a poor choice of words - I do in fact mean, by all respects, the contrast in this film is almost non-existent. So some people are saying that this is because it emulates the look of a film print. Be that as it may, I have trouble believing the film would have ever looked this dull and lifeless in the cinema. Since it has been 20 years since this film was at the cinema, unless someone has an actual print copy of the film they'd like to demonstrate, I doubt we're going to get an answer beyond hearsay and "what people remember".
To me, the remaster looks too dull. Yes, it is (slightly) more detailed, the grain is natural, there is a lack of edge enhancement and DNR. These are positives. But the original Blu-ray isn't a Patton-esque or BTTF or Star Wars travesty. To me, the colour of the original is just more natural and pleasing.
Jost Vacano, the cinematographer, detest the release prints. They were too dull, flat, and under saturated for his intentions.
I never saw it theatrically. The initial home video version is thickened up in certain scenes with pumped saturation and others left to reveal the thinness of the source itself. I'm glad the direction of this release wasn't to emulate modern sensibility but to treat Total Recall as the visually fragile house of cards it actually is.
post #289 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenic View Post

Jost Vacano, the cinematographer, detest the release prints. They were too dull, flat, and under saturated for his intentions.
I never saw it theatrically. The initial home video version is thickened up in certain scenes with pumped saturation and others left to reveal the thinness of the source itself. I'm glad the direction of this release wasn't to emulate modern sensibility but to treat Total Recall as the visually fragile house of cards it actually is.

Teal and orange with hot whites are not modern?
post #290 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Everyone who's saying (without having watched the new one) that the colour is now perfect will get a nice surprise as they watch the ambient light of Mars change between pink, orange and red depending on the shot, sometimes even from cut to cut within a scene. The old transfer had a nice constant orange glow.

And it's not about "wanting this release to fail". People need to keep the conspiracy theories to themselves and look at this transfer with an objective eye. If they do, then they will notice the incredibly flat contrast, washed-out blacks, fluctuating colour and the strangely dirty opticals. (Yes, I KNOW that opticals will incur their share of such artefacts, but the rest of the movie has obviously been cleaned up, so why overlook the spottiest parts of the movie?)

The grain and the detail reproduction are exemplary on the new transfer, they really are, but that's not enough to rank it as great in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenic View Post

Was it really shot as thin as the new transfer suggests? Even the background on the end credits is a dull grey rather than black. Still, I've made my peace with this transfer by taking your advice and treating it as the antithesis of every colour corrected, contrast boosted, DNR'ed crapfest that we've been subjected to over the years. And for that, I salute the eternally barmy Paul Verhoeven.
post #291 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Teal and orange with hot whites are not modern?

Where are you seeing any of that? Whites are dull beige, on the yellow spectrum. "Hot" to me would describe the blooming whites of the previous transfers.

Maybe everyone already knows this, but the new version can be compared to any of the three previous BDs (Euro AVC, Euro VC-1, US MPEG-2) here. Also a historical perspective, new DVD vs old DVDs.

I notice no one's complaining about the reframing from the 2006 US disc this go-round like they did in 2008.
post #292 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Liked: 12
Mods delete this post.
post #293 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Boo-urns. Looks like the Blu-Ray is now $7.99 at BestBuy, so it's not coupon eligible unless it goes back up after the release date.
post #294 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I dont know. I prefer Studio Canals version. It seems so much sharper (maybe I'm fooling myself?) without sharpening artifacts. The only scene where the contrast seemed a little bit high is the scene with Sharon in the kitchen.
post #295 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Maybe the Alliance/Universal Schwarzenegger triple pack BD with the TR in it will be better.... teehee....
post #296 of 547 Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Watched the new "Mind Bending" release and did a direct comparison with the original Blu-ray. All I can say is despite the original release's well-documented flaws in the transfer, this new release is a huge step backwards. It's really one of the uglier looking transfers I've seen in some time.

The color is significantly washed out to the point faces are almost sickly pale white or at best, unnaturally pink and there's some weird artifacting in some scenes - for example the early breakfast scene with Arnold and Sharon's characters in front of the wall tv screen - look right after she kisses Arnold, there's a white blocky artifact on Arnold's ear and in the following few seconds, there's large black speckles that looks like major dirt specks on the film but they almost look digital. None of these issues were present on any previous home video release I've seen of this movie. And then there's the "grain." It's so pronounced in some scenes, it frankly looks like a dupey 16mm print or excessive digital noise. And for the record, I know and understand many scenes in this movie originally looked fairly grainy due to film stock, effects, etc.

I highly recommend sticking with or seeking out the old release versus this one.
post #297 of 547 Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the heads-up on this, Partyslammer! Even the screencaps look worse to me eek.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #298 of 547 Old 07-28-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
A lot of that early Arnie scene is an optical (for the viewscreen on the wall), and you can still see how splotchy the grain is on the old transfer, even under some heavy DNR. Apart from the questionable dirt cleanup, I didn't expect it to look any better than it does on the new transfer.
post #299 of 547 Old 07-28-2012, 12:31 PM

So are the screenshots lying now? How can you possibly say this new transfer doesn't look any better?

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=1314&disc2=1093&art=part&cap1=12464&cap2=10569&hd_multiID=63&lossless=&image=0#auswahl

It shows a clear improvement in every way.
post #300 of 547 Old 07-28-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

Boo-urns. Looks like the Blu-Ray is now $7.99 at BestBuy, so it's not coupon eligible unless it goes back up after the release date.

Sweet!! Amazon dropped down to $7.99 also. So now I don't need to cancel my Amazon pre-order and order from BestBuy instead. For $8 it's even better. No reason for me to consider canceling since it is so inexpensive.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Total Recall Mind Bending Edition Blu Ray , Robocop Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page